Do you have to do the whole cruise?

agc291

We are interested in a Hawaii cruise for April 2012... Do you have to do the whole trip or is it possible to do the trip from embark to all the stops of Hawaii and then stay off?

Example:

The itenerary is

Honolulu-Embark

Honolulu

Maui

Maui

Kailua Kona

Mount Kilauea

Hilo

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Vancouver

What I would like to do is to embark at Honolulu, stay for Maui, Kailua Kona, Mount Kilauea, and Hilo but then stay off the ship and stay in hawaii for a couple of days as a land vacation as opposed to going to Vancouver.

5 sea days doesnt sound exciting to me so Im hoping this would be poosible. I thought that I had seen something similar on another post but it was for Mexico. Any information would be helpful.

I suggest contacting Carnival and just asking. When we were booking our Magic cruise for this summer, at one point our travel plans would have had us flying from Nice to Barcelona, just to board and cruise back to Monaco the next day (Monaco is a 1 Euro bus ride from Nice). We asked whether we could skip boarding in Barcelona and board in Monaco instead. Carnival told us they could accommodate that. Ultimately, our travel plans worked out so that we could board in Barcelona without doing the back-and-forth, but it was nice to know that they were willing to accommodate us differently.

That situation is sort of the opposite to what you're asking, but my point is you might as well just call or email and ask them.

What ship is this?? If its Carnival, it has to stop at a foreign port.

Its for RC but we looked at a similar itenerary for Carnival in April. I will look into a land vacation for Hawaii but I figured this would be the cheapest way to see a couple of the islands.

I suggest contacting Carnival and just asking. When we were booking our Magic cruise for this summer, at one point our travel plans would have had us flying from Nice to Barcelona, just to board and cruise back to Monaco the next day (Monaco is a 1 Euro bus ride from Nice). We asked whether we could skip boarding in Barcelona and board in Monaco instead. Carnival told us they could accommodate that. Ultimately, our travel plans worked out so that we could board in Barcelona without doing the back-and-forth, but it was nice to know that they were willing to accommodate us differently.

That situation is sort of the opposite to what you're asking, but my point is you might as well just call or email and ask them.

Great thanks! Im sure theres something we coould work out I just really dont want to do 5 sea days and stop in vancouver. Im sure we would stilll have to pay full price but that out weighs 5 sea days to me.

What ship is this?? If its Carnival, it has to stop at a foreign port.

FYI, Vancouver is a foreign port.

To the OP,

I think you will run into some problems trying this. For one thing Carnival will be fined per person that does this and they will pass that on to you. If memory serves me right it is called the Jones Act that forbids any foreign flagged ship to transport US passengers between two US ports. If you board in one place and hop off in another within the US it violates that law. Thus the reason the Hawaii cruises go from and return to either Ensanada, MX or Vancouver, CA.

Great thanks! Im sure theres something we coould work out I just really dont want to do 5 sea days and stop in vancouver. Im sure we would stilll have to pay full price but that out weighs 5 sea days to me.

The itinerary you are looking at is not Europe there are rules about having a foreign port here in the U.S. which is why the Hawaii cruises use to make a stop at Fanning Island.

It probably would depend on where your cruise starts. The Passenger Act won't allow transport between US ports. If you're starting in Hawaii don't get your hopes up.

Does NCL still do the Hawaii cruise?

You can see more of these three islands (Oahu, Maui & Hawaii) on a land tour.

We are interested in a Hawaii cruise for April 2012... Do you have to do the whole trip or is it possible to do the trip from embark to all the stops of Hawaii and then stay off?

What I would like to do is to embark at Honolulu, stay for Maui, Kailua Kona, Mount Kilauea, and Hilo but then stay off the ship and stay in hawaii for a couple of days as a land vacation as opposed to going to Vancouver.

5 sea days doesnt sound exciting to me so Im hoping this would be poosible. I thought that I had seen something similar on another post but it was for Mexico. Any information would be helpful.

Take a look at NCL's Pride of America, which does exactly the itinerary you want.

You probably would not be allowed to do that on the Carnival ship even if you pay the full fare for technical reasons. (In brief, it would be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, commonly called the Jones Act.) Pride of America is a US flagged ship, which is not subject to the same restrictions as foreign flagged ships.

Example:

The itenerary is

Honolulu-Embark

Honolulu

Maui

Maui

Kailua Kona

Mount Kilauea

Hilo

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Vancouver

If you do not go to Canada, Carnival will be fined and they will bill you for the fine amount which is about $300 per person.

If you want a cruise around Hawaii, choose NCL and cruise round trip Honolulu

FYI, Vancouver is a foreign port.

To the OP,

I think you will run into some problems trying this. For one thing Carnival will be fined per person that does this and they will pass that on to you. If memory serves me right it is called the Jones Act that forbids any foreign flagged ship to transport US passengers between two US ports. If you board in one place and hop off in another within the US it violates that law. Thus the reason the Hawaii cruises go from and return to either Ensanada, MX or Vancouver, CA.

FYI right back at ya .... OP wants to get off the ship before they reach the foreign port!!!!

reread what the OP wants to do.

I think you and I agreed, you just are misreading something...I said it wouldnt work to get off before the ship reaches the foreign port.

Couldn't you just not get back on the ship? I mean people get left behind all the time?! For not making it back to the ship? You could ask but I mean is there a fee for being "left" behind?

If the ship incurs a penalty, I dont know what would happen to the pax who caused it?

Why waste your money on a long cruise to take only a portion of it (letting others debate the legal issues....)?

Just book NCL's Pride of America that does 7-night Honolulu round-trips.

Couldn't you just not get back on the ship? I mean people get left behind all the time?! For not making it back to the ship? You could ask but I mean is there a fee for being "left" behind?

If they did this, their luggage would be left behind. If they took it with them when they got off, the ship would know something was up.

Take a look at NCL's Pride of America, which does exactly the itinerary you want.

You probably would not be allowed to do that on the Carnival ship even if you pay the full fare for technical reasons. (In brief, it would be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, commonly called the Jones Act.) Pride of America is a US flagged ship, which is not subject to the same restrictions as foreign flagged ships.

Looked into NCL and it is exactly what we are looking for. $1099 for a 7 day RT from Honolulu. Thanks!

Archived