QUESTION re: NAVIGATOR AT PRINCESS CAYS

We have been to Princess Cays (with Princess) a few times. On our upcoming trip with Regent, we stop there.

My question is...what to expect? Are clamshells available? beach activities available? drinks included? any extras?...BBQ same as Princess provides??

Thank you for any input that you may be able to provide.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Don't know what Princess provides but Passages - Navigator's daily programme - for our cruise said that we would have unlimite drinks etc and the BBQ would be catered by our own chef and his team. In the end we couldn't tender due to heavy swell so the BBQ happened on the pool deck as we sailed off for Puerto Rico!

I'm curious, what's a clamshell? We too failed to tender in on our Navigator Eastern Caribbean, and we too went straight on to Puerto Rico.

A "clamshell" is one of those contraptions you see on the beach that provide shade, from the beach all the way over you. (Unlike an umbrella)

Host Dan

I'm curious, what's a clamshell? We too failed to tender in on our Navigator Eastern Caribbean, and we too went straight on to Puerto Rico.

Just had a chuckle, Wendy. If guess if you think about it, a clamshell could be one of many things!! Maybe something to eat, maybe to play with and a whole host of other options!! LOL

Are Princess/HAL the only lines to refer to the rental shade providers, as clamshells, I wonder?

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

We have been to Princess Cays (with Princess) a few times. On our upcoming trip with Regent, we stop there.

My question is...what to expect? Are clamshells available? beach activities available? drinks included? any extras?...BBQ same as Princess provides??

Thank you for any input that you may be able to provide.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

CANDYAPPLE,

We were at Princess Cays on the Navigator last April. I don't remember everything about the stop but there were beach activities available. Some beach equipment was provided at no additional charge while other equipment, such as boats had to be rented. I don't remember seeing any clamshells but there were plenty of loungers in the shade.

I don't know what kind of BBQ Princess provides but there was a very nice BBQ prepared by the Navigator's chefs. Drinks, including all alcohol, were free flowing and were included at no additional charge.

Assuming you can tender in, I think the biggest difference you'll notice between Regent and Princess is the number of people on the beach. Instead of 2,000 to 3,000 people on a Princess cruise, there will probably be no more than 400 to 500 people ashore on your Navigator cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dave

Thank you DaveFR et al for your input...it is appreciated!!

As an aside, we will be in San Diego next October, visiting my son's inlaws before our HAL Panama transit.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

We were on Navigator in January, 2010 with our first stop at Princess Cay. As reported by the others, the BBQ as good and the drinks free-flowing. One or two small souvenir shops were open. I didn't see anything resembling a clamshell lounge, but there were plenty of lounge chairs available on a complimentary basis. I don't recall any water sports equipment available freee of charge, but there was plenty of water sports stuff sitting on the beach available for rent. The only thing was, it was so chilly that no one went in the water except one couple who brought wet suits for snorkeling. thus, no equipment was rented. I can't believe the locals are particularly thrilled when Navigator arrives because there are so few passengers and many of them (like me) are not young and energetic enough to paddle the giant water tricycles and such. It all looked a little forlorn and lost with so few people.

We wandered down the beach looking at the rental cabanas (none was rented or offered for rent while we we there) and climbed the two-story observation tower. After eating and having a drink, we went back to the ship. Those who missed it due to rough seas didn't really miss much, in my opinion.

On the other hand, we're from Florida and beaches hold no particular attraction for us. Those from the dryer areas will probably love Princess Cay.

Our experience was similiar to Hondorner's. The Navigator was the only ship in port. The beach is beautiful, the barbeque was fine, however we preferred barbeques on the pool deck. There was not much to do except lie on the beach which isn't my thing. So, we took a very long walk on the beach that was quite enjoyable. IMO, Princess Cays is more suited to larger mainstream cruise lines.

Just trying to unscramble my brain a little!!! My error...it was HAL's private island that had the clamshells, not Princess...just because they are all Carnival owned, doesn't mean they're all the same, I realize!!!

Thanks all, for sticking with me on this.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

If you have been to Princess Cay with Princess,being there with Regent will blow your mind. We remember seeing the long rows of empty chairs and wondering what a horror story it must be with a mega ship tendering people in. On our trip, there couldn't have been more than a hundred or so people. Regent sets up a bar and beachfront food service and everything is free. While you're sitting on the beach,servers will walk up and down with trays offering you all the free drinks you want. The poster is right that locals aren't thrilled to see Regent as there are a fraction of the visitors they get with Princess. Only a few shops were open. All in all,having a place like this to yourself is when you realize why Regent was worth it.

We were on the same cruise as hondoner and enjoyed seeing your photos, Don. Our experience was slightly different. In the later hours of the stay a few of the passengers got the musicians really going and it began to feel like an a party. A few passengers were dancing on the picnic tables and singing along. The musicians and passengers appeared to both be enjoying themselves. There weren't a large number of us there but it was a great deal of fun. It didn't quite feel like a typical Regent experience. They are usually more dignified. Perhaps the unexpectedness (is there such a word?) of it was what made it memorable.

We were on the same cruise as hondoner and enjoyed seeing your photos, Don. Our experience was slightly different. In the later hours of the stay a few of the passengers got the musicians really going and it began to feel like an a party. A few passengers were dancing on the picnic tables and singing along. The musicians and passengers appeared to both be enjoying themselves. There weren't a large number of us there but it was a great deal of fun. It didn't quite feel like a typical Regent experience. They are usually more dignified. Perhaps the unexpectedness (is there such a word?) of it was what made it memorable.

That's great, and it's pretty easy to understand why -- by that time, the old fogeys like me had returned to the ship -- I was probably already taking a nap -- while the young whippersnappers (including those in mind, if not in body) were having a grand old time on the beach.

Don, What fun to be called a whippersnapper! I will keep that spirit in mind as we board the Mariner for our Transatlantic next week. Unfortunately there is not a stop at Princess Cay so I wont be able to find out who us "swingers" are. Say hi to Betsy and am glad all is well after your health scare last year.

Archived