Formal Night Dress up or Dress Down

DancingGypsy

Agreed

If a couple is spending $2500 on cruise tickets, $800 on airline tickets, another $2000 on hotels, transfers/taxis, shore excursions, onboard spending and tips...

...what's another $100 in airline luggage fees??

Somehow we manage to get my tux, a dinner jacket, my wife's gowns, appropriate accessories, and the rest of our clothing in our bags and never exceed the weight requirements. Granted we bring two bags each but even if we took out the formal wear I doubt we'd save enough room to get below three bags.

Agreed

If a couple is spending $2500 on cruise tickets, $800 on airline tickets, another $2000 on hotels, transfers/taxis, shore excursions, onboard spending and tips...

It's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

We have stopped packing formal clothes. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the extra baggage costs (if indeed there really are any). It is just that we prefer to travel light-especially when combining trips. Formal night no longer holds any real appeal to us. Not certain if we are just leaning more to casual or it is because we have done if for so long in our business careers.

But, we do not attend dinner in the MDR if we are not dressed. Lido is fine for us on those evenings.

We have reservations for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on a non-formal night. How should we dress...??

We were on the Veendam last year and went to PG for dinner. The women were dressed in slacks and semi dressy tops - we were ok'd to go in, men were wearing collared shirts and slacks - they were a no go....they had to have on either a tie with the shirt or a jacket. Was this a quirk? I don't know. My only comment is lets not get to crazy about the "formal or not to formal" wear and be more concerned that we all exercise proper table manners. We may not have been dressed eloquently, but we knew enough to chew with our mouths closed, elbow off the table, and not get stinking drunk at the dinner table. MOre than I care to remember that night ate like they had just been let out of the corral.

Agreed

Somehow we manage to get my tux, a dinner jacket, my wife's gowns, appropriate accessories, and the rest of our clothing in our bags and never exceed the weight requirements.

Not that I care one way or another but I do have an observation. I have seen a lot of people on cruiseships with jeans. It seems to me that a lot of these jeans definitely do not get nicer as the week or two goes on. They get more wrinkled, they start developping some strange spots in places, and seem to get a bit sloppier. From that I can only assume that the wearers have only brought one pair? And the next logical observation would be that they must have a lot of room left in their suitcases if they only brought one pair of jeans...maybe even room enought for a suit? Or maybe the bags are full of rum runners? :D

And the truth is, at least on HAL carribean cruises, you simply will not be turned away from MDR dining on formal nights if you show up in something reasonable, like clean pants and a polo shirt. Any hints, intimations, and statements to the contrary are simply false...

This wasn't the case as of a couple years back - We personally witnessed inadequately attired men being turned away from the MDR entrance on Formal Nights aboard Noordam during her first two seasons out of NYC...

Just returned from HAL Mexico cruise. Dress on formal nights in MDR was anywhere from jeans with no tie to tux and gowns.

I seriously hope that they did not let anyone in jeans in the MDR! My husband and I like to do formal (tux, etc), but I understand that others do not. Jeans, however, do not belong in a nice restaurant - including the MDR -- on any occasion, and especially not on a formal night. If the cruise lines want people to adhere to their "dress codes," then need to start enforcing them.

Okay - I'm sure I'll hear about this, and I probably should keep my mouth shut, but that's just my two cents on this hot topic.

This wasn't the case as of a couple years back - We personally witnessed inadequately attired men being turned away from the MDR entrance on Formal Nights aboard Noordam during her first two seasons out of NYC...

Maybe the HAL's policy regarding enforcement of the dress code has changed over the last couple of years as cultural sensibilities continue to evolve?

In any case, I was looking at the HAL website today it mentions a "suggested dress code" for formal nights - the only forms of dress actually prohibited are t-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops, and shorts during evening hours. So it's not surprising that those wearing that attire were turned away.

The main dining room chairs on the Ryndam formal night were all covered in white, the wait staff was on their best, the menu reflected the formal expectations, and the entire evening came together to be something special. Most guests return this effort by dressing up a notch in response and the whole event takes on a special glow and sparkle that night.

Maybe the HAL's policy regarding enforcement of the dress code has changed over the last couple of years as cultural sensibilities continue to evolve?

Actually - Observing the way folks dress for work (IT & bluecollar folks excepted) and reading the magazines, etc...

...menswear is becoming more formal, not less.

The difference is that HAL has too many ships with too many berths to fill, so the last-minute fares are lower and they're booking more people who would ordinarily take Carnival or RCCL - or go on a weekend jaunt to Mexico or Vegas - and HAL is afraid of ticking these folks off or they might not come back...

...and the folks who have always been accustomed to dressing better (and receiving better service, food, etc) are slowly moving up to the true luxury lines such as Cunard, Crystal, Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea & Regent.

I guess that is a nice way to say the "Bubba" cruisers have landed on HAL.

These dress code busting threads just take on a life all to their own. Still split almost down the middle between those that understand what a formal night is to those that could care less. So why do those that could care less book a cruise in the first place?

Why do they think it's okay to try and see if they can get away with jeans, etc. HAL provides a place for them to go eat on those formal nights and yet they would rather come to the formal party in jeans. The dress code buster just love to come on here and say don't worry you will not be turned away no matter how sloopy you look on formal nights. These people encourge it and it's no wonder HAL can't enforce it. I've been on cruises where up to 25% of the men are not even close to being near the suggestions for dress. Sure the cruise lines are changing old traditional formal nigths into something way less special but HAL has not yet. So why do you book HAL when you know they still do it the old way?

Sure the cruise lines are changing old traditional formal nigths into something way less special but HAL has not yet. So why do you book HAL when you know they still do it the old way?

Well, if my last Carribean cruise on HAL is any indication, people actually aren't doing it "the old way". In the MDR on formal nights I saw people in polo shirts and khaki pants, and even a few in nice jeans - and nobody - including HAL staff - seemed concerned in the least. In fact, everyone seemed to be having a good time.

And to caricature people who don't dress in tuxes as slobs or worse - i.e. patrons of Carnival - is simply mindboggling. It seems to reflect a mindset that is obsessed with controlling the behavior of others rather than just enjoying themselves.

The only reason, really, to chime in on this thread is to let people know that they shouldn't be intimidated by a few, hypervigilant 'fashion police' types. For the casual reader/cruiser out there - pack light if you wish, wear what you like within obvious reason, and have a good time. :D

Agreed

I'm SO with you on that. I dress nicely to make myself happy. I always have strangers tell me how nice I look on formal night. I've had people make snarky remarks to me about taking 2 suitcases for any cruise over 7 days. I don't want to look like I dressed in something I found on the floor and I don't mind paying extra for that.

Well, if my last Carribean cruise on HAL is any indication, people actually aren't doing it "the old way". In the MDR on formal nights I saw people in polo shirts and khaki pants, and even a few in nice jeans - and nobody - including HAL staff - seemed concerned in the least. In fact, everyone seemed to be having a good time.

And to caricature people who don't dress in tuxes as slobs or worse - i.e. patrons of Carnival - is simply mindboggling. It seems to reflect a mindset that is obsessed with controlling the behavior of others rather than just enjoying themselves.

The only reason, really, to chime in on this thread is to let people know that they shouldn't be intimidated by a few, hypervigilant 'fashion police' types. For the casual reader/cruiser out there - pack light if you wish, wear what you like within obvious reason, and have a good time. :D

Ok, this is my first post and I really don't want to stir the pot here, but! yea the "but" comment. I have cruised on most of the mass market cruise lines and there IS a difference specifically on Carnival and NCL when compared to Holland, Princess, RCL and X.

We were back on Holland last month and it was SOOOOOO different (nice) compared to our last Carnival and NCL experience in relationship to passenger dress etc. We also noticed that the Kids in the pool were much better mannered than on Carnival. Good Job Holland parents!

I think the expectation on Holland and maybe Princess is: let's be less party and more classy.

I have also noticed that the time of year also seems to make a difference in the types of passengers who are cruising with you.

East Coast vs. West Coast vs. Europe.... Do I dare try to state the diferences? I am not saying one is better or worse, just different!

When I go to the beach for a BBQ, I wear my swim suit and bring a sweatshirt for the evening.

When I go to the Olive Garden or such... I might wear jeans or slacks and a decent sports shirt.

When I go to dinner on formal night on HAL - I get out the Tux, shine the shoes and make sure my bride has a beauitful flower for her dress.

Lana,

... I stopped reading those threads long ago, because they usually descended into invective, which in some cases (if they were clever) were a bit fun to read, but usually weren't and I soon tired of the whole routine....

Well, Lana (OP), if you are still around this thread, you will see what I meant. I go away for 24 hours and come back to the thread and see it has become another "your stupid" (sic) swap. This one is mild to this point, with only one "clown" and one "Bubba" so far, but it likely will become worse and even less interesting.

I am now done with this thread. The rest of you can enjoy your re-heated hash, or more accurately, re-hashed heat. Goodbye.

Dave

I'm SO with you on that. I dress nicely to make myself happy. I always have strangers tell me how nice I look on formal night. I've had people make snarky remarks to me about taking 2 suitcases for any cruise over 7 days. I don't want to look like I dressed in something I found on the floor and I don't mind paying extra for that.

Hah----snarky remarks about a second suitcase. Shows how much they know!!! How else is a girl to tote all her jewels?:)

I would use "deteriorate" rather than "evolve".

AND<<<<<<<< BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE............. (reposting)

Ok, this is my first post and I really don't want to stir the pot here, but! yea the "but" comment. I have cruised on most of the mass market cruise lines and there IS a difference specifically on Carnival and NCL when compared to Holland, Princess, RCL and X.

We were back on Holland last month and it was SOOOOOO different (nice) compared to our last Carnival and NCL experience in relationship to passenger dress etc. We also noticed that the Kids in the pool were much better mannered than on Carnival. Good Job Holland parents!

I think the expectation on Holland and maybe Princess is: let's be less party and more classy.

I have also noticed that the time of year also seems to make a difference in the types of passengers who are cruising with you.

East Coast vs. West Coast vs. Europe.... Do I dare try to state the diferences? I am not saying one is better or worse, just different!

When I go to the beach for a BBQ, I wear my swim suit and bring a sweatshirt for the evening.

When I go to the Olive Garden or such... I might wear jeans or slacks and a decent sports shirt.

When I go to dinner on formal night on HAL - I get out the Tux, shine the shoes and make sure my bride has a beauitful flower for her dress.

Because the OP said she had been to Mexico many times. I was thinking she has never been on HAL and that was why she was asking... I have done most of the other lines that do Mexico and thought my response was appropoaite for the question. I thought my reply was specific to her question. I read the rules about hyjacking a thread and when I posted my Comment I thought I was following Retired Mustang.

Am I making sense?

Because the OP said she had been to Mexico many times. I was thinking she has never been on HAL and that was why she was asking... I have done most of the other lines that do Mexico and thought my response was appropoaite for the question. I thought my reply was specific to her question. I read the rules about hyjacking a thread and when I posted my Comment I thought I was following Retired Mustang.

Am I making sense?

Ok --gotcha now----I see you are new so here's a little tip. When you want to respond to a specific post, if you click on the "quote" button under that post, the post will be quoted above your reply and it will make sense to anyone reading it without your having to explain.

Not that much of anything on a dress code thread makes any sense but they do provide comic relief when things get dull around here.:)

Yes, we have seen creased jeans. But we have also seen people with tuxes that looked like they came out of the silent movies, some with trousers that were shinier than my new car.

Awww.... the good old days! when dining was an event. Sometimes I wish I could have lived in the silent movie days when there was no question as to what formal meant.

Ok --gotcha now----I see you are new so here's a little tip. When you want to respond to a specific post, if you click on the "quote" button under that post, the post will be quoted above your reply and it will make sense to anyone reading it without your having to explain.

Not that much of anything on a dress code thread makes any sense but they do provide comic relief when things get dull around here.:)

I think I got the Quite thing wired now! Cheers...

Archived