Formal Night Dress up or Dress Down

DancingGypsy

This has been addressed many, many times, but that's all right. If it is Formal night in the Main Dining Room, just follow the dress code as outlined by the ship's program. Easy as pie. Normally a gentleman should choose between a (1) tuxedo or (2) dark business suit. Otherwise, best to have room service or eat in the Lido.

Gentlemen can also get away with a blue sportsjacket, tie & nice pants.

Ladies are flying - anything from a long dress to cocktail dress to a very nice pant suit.

Dress how you are comfortable and consider it a nice night out and you will be fine. if you prefer not to do it, the Lido and room service are always available.

I like the evening in the MDR myself - usually good food and well done.

Lots of threads on this, but that is the short of it. have a great cruise :):)

Lana,

Welcome to the HAL board! You have, I believe, innocently touched one of the third rails on this board: formal night wear (do a search on the subject and you will find lots). I stopped reading those threads long ago, because they usually descended into invective, which in some cases (if they were clever) were a bit fun to read, but usually weren't and I soon tired of the whole routine.

To answer your question in the spirit I believe it was asked -- that is, a true request for information -- I think ColumbiaSC and kazu have hit the mark.

For men, I would say the minimum to meet the intent of the guidelines would be a jacket and tie (sport coat and dockers would work), and, ranging on your tastes, up to as formal as you want. I have seen men in formal kilts and military mess dress (oh, that I could still fit into my U.S. Navy mess dress whites!), and tuxes are often seen, but a simple sports coat and tie would do. The ladies also have a wide range, from a nice pants outfit to long gown.

But, if you really don't want to do that bit, the dinner in the Lido is quite good, and has many of the same dishes as the main dining room. Several long-time posters on this board do that. And, as the others pointed out, you can order room service to your cabin.

Dave

Just returned from HAL Mexico cruise. Dress on formal nights in MDR was anywhere from jeans with no tie to tux and gowns.

I found the very same thing on my Feb.12/11 cruise on the Oosterdam. I always dess to the 9's and don't mind doing it. The people that choose not to stand out but HAL doesn't seem to enforce it on that ship.

Wear what makes you happy, it should not ruin anybody's vacation, including yours. I am always dressed nicely (once in slacks, shirt, tie, nice sweater, but still got comments, classy) but IMHO if someone wants to wear jeans and a nice shirt who cares. They don't stick out. Know this though some fashion police somewhere is upset. The age of "Formal" dress up night is going the way of the dino... things change. have fun and don't be disrespectful but enjoy yourself.

Wear whatever you like within reason. There are a few people who may express *very* strong opinions about what is expected or required, but they are a tiny minority. No one should allow themselves to be pressured.

On formal nights in the MDR, for example, I felt extremely comfortable in a sportcoat and khakis - no tie. Other men in the room were wearing polo shirts - absolutely no hassles or problems with that in the least.

Don't be misled by those who say that a tux or dark suit is *required* - this is simply false, and absolutely not enforced by HAL or anyone else.

yes -- we really do get dressed up on formal nights

dh wears his tuxedo -- and i wear either a floor length skirt or 3/4 length skirt with a fancy top

Like minds I guess but it's the same for us. We actually look forward to formal nights and love the feeling and ambiance.

yes -- we really do get dressed up on formal nights

dh wears his tuxedo -- and i wear either a floor length skirt or 3/4 length skirt with a fancy top

Like minds I guess but it's the same for us. We actually look forward to formal nights and love the feeling and ambiance.

We're with you!

One other point - most of the cabins on these ships have *very* little storage. It makes sense to pack light - which is made easier by leaving the formal togs at home.

Also, packing light is liberating - so much less complicated getting to and from the ship, to and from airports and hotels.

Finally, times are changing. It's hard for some people to accept, but more and more people enjoy a casual approach to travel, with less hassles and less stress - and 'dressing down' on formal nights certainly is easier and less stressful for the reasons described above.

And for those who want to drag tons of luggage around and show off their finest duds - power to them! It's their vacation and they should be able to do as they please :D

i always wear my tux, no matter the itinerary or cruiseline.

Ditto.

I don't know why, but the Ladies (some of the Gents too) often seem to enjoy touching me when I'm in one of my Velvet Dinner Jackets...

;)

One other point - most of the cabins on these ships have *very* little storage. It makes sense to pack light - which is made easier by leaving the formal togs at home.

Also, packing light is liberating - so much less complicated getting to and from the ship, to and from airports and hotels.

Finally, times are changing. It's hard for some people to accept, but more and more people enjoy a casual approach to travel, with less hassles and less stress - and 'dressing down' on formal nights certainly is easier and less stressful for the reasons described above.

And for those who want to drag tons of luggage around and show off their finest duds - power to them! It's their vacation and they should be able to do as they please :D

HAL is VERY bad at enforcing the dress code but once in a while they do step up to the plate. I just hope the OP understands that and doesn't come back with a nasty thread stating that they couldn't get in the MDR. It's the chance people take. I know people like to use the luggage excuse but I think it's just that. I don't know why people just don't say "I hate dressing up and I'm not going to do it". No excuse required.

If a clown walks into a room full of people dressed for a formal occasion they will notice.

Then they will expect a show from the clown. Seriously you can think all you want that people don't know when you are in the wrong but they do more times then not.

Sure it's not required nor mandated or even suggested but what is it about the word "formal" that normal educated people don't understand? It's a formal night not a "come as you wish" night. The cruise line simple makes suggestions on what they feel is approriate for the formal occassion that they have one or two times week. They have lowered the standards pretty low to accomadate down to a sport coat and tie with dress pants. Nowhere does polo shirts and jeans with flip flops fit into the formal atmosphere. So by telling people here it's okay to do so is simply wrong, injust and immoral IMO. Why not tell them to skip and hide during the firedrill? Same thing.

I know people like to use the luggage excuse but I think it's just that.

Agreed

If a couple is spending $2500 on cruise tickets, $800 on airline tickets, another $2000 on hotels, transfers/taxis, shore excursions, onboard spending and tips...

...what's another $100 in airline luggage fees??

If a clown walks into a room full of people dressed for a formal occasion they will notice..

LOL - I seriously hope you aren't really calling people who don't get up in a tux for formal nights in the MDR 'clowns' - :rolleyes:

We're not talking about ripped jeans and dirty t-shirts - actually, lots of people have designer jeans that cost more than a pair of dress pants.

Anyway, the vast majority of people in the MDR during formal nights could not care less what anyone else is wearing. It's one thing to select your own wardrobe - but honestly, I don't know what gets into some people that they believe they can dictate to others.

And the truth is, at least on HAL carribean cruises, you simply will not be turned away from MDR dining on formal nights if you show up in something reasonable, like clean pants and a polo shirt. Any hints, intimations, and statements to the contrary are simply false - HAL staff just will not enforce the nominal 'dress code', which is in actuality a 'dress suggestion'. :)

or another $100 for a suit!

Men's Wearhouse is full of very nice $100 suits.

It's got more to do with the mentality of "it's my vacation, I paid for it , therefore I can dress as I see fit.". And that's the attitude I assume when I see someone that didn't understand what a formal night is about. It's can't be their sheer ignorance.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, everyone in the main dining room looked especially nice on our formal nights. There were a small amount of tuxes, mostly suits and ties, and some sport jackets and dockers. I didn't see any formal gowns, but the women were all dressed with dressy tops and pants and or long skirts. Interestingly, I didn't see too many short dresses which are now very popular cocktail wear.

And that's the attitude I assume when I see someone that didn't understand what a formal night is about.

Um, to be fair, it seems that there is a lack of understanding on the part of some that times are changing. As a previous poster stated, true 'formal nights' are going the way of the dinosaur, or the dodo. Some people will be comfortable with that fact, and adapt accordingly. Others won't.

I applaud those who say that they enjoy dressing formally, and at the same time don't mind others who choose to enjoy their vacations in a different way. :)

Archived