No More Mazatlan It's Official

MTJSR

I wouldn't hesitate to go on any tour in Cabo as it is probably the safest area in Mexico right now. If you look at a map (most people don't realize its on a 1,000 mile long penisula, the longest in the world in fact) you can see that Baja California is not on the drug smuggling route in Mexico and these types of killings etc aren't happening in Cabo as it is at the very southern tip of the peninsula and that is far from the south to north route through Mexico.

Yes, thats what our tour guide was discussing with everyone on the bus during the drive up. Very informative.

Toni

We did this excursion on our last cruise over New Years and I was nervous the whole bus ride over and back which is a total of about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. The tour was OK but I have seen so many churches and hotels in Mexico and this was just another tour like that. The lunch at Hotel California was very good but not enough seats for everyone so we had to sit in the patio area which had lots of bees. My 10 yo daughter was freaking out and couldn't eat.

I think you will be just fine if you decide to go but if you are going to be nervous the whole time, it's not a fun way to spend your vacation which is how I felt.

Toni

Was there anything in particular that made you nervous, or just knowing what has been going on recently?

Was there anything in particular that made you nervous, or just knowing what has been going on recently?

No, in fact nothing happened. Since I am aware of what's been happening, I was just uneasy during the long bus ride. Todos Santos is a very beautiful little town. There were a lot of surfers in the area. I'm glad I went on the excusion, my DH loves the culture and history of Mexico and while I enjoy that also, I'm more of a hang out at the beach gal, so it was a little boring to me and my daughter.

Like I said in my other post, the bus driver was addressing the issues going on in parts of Mexico with everyone in the bus and how it is not in Cabo at all.

Go and enjoy your excursion. :)

It is a wonder they haven't dropped ACAPULCO, but I still see it on our April 14th cruise.

That is interesting as Acapulco was a dangerous place LONG before the drug cartels were running rampant. If you do go and are not wanting to take any chances and want to go ashore I recommend the old Spainish fort right across the street from the ship which has a great museum with lots of pre-spanish artifacts on display and has a history of the area with conquistador artifacts on display as well and then you can have a cervea or 4 right on the dock at the new Carlos and Charlies type place right next to the ship, it has a different name but is the same company that owns all of the Senor Frogs and those type places. The fort is literally a 1 minute walk right across the street and the bar is 50 feet from the gangway so you can spend a few hours ashore at these places and be perfectly safe.

It is a wonder they haven't dropped ACAPULCO, but I still see it on our April 14th cruise.

I can't believe it's still on the itinerary for April 14th either! There have been numerous beheadings, kidnappings and shootouts with innocents caught in the crossfire recently. Just a couple of weeks ago, there were 12 taxis attacked, the drivers beheaded and passengers killed as well.

This puts a damper on our Island cruise. While I don't want another sea day, I am not happy about the decision as to whether or not to get off the ship. Although DH and I never just hang out at the pier, that is probably what we will do in this port this time. I wish they would spend more time in Cabo or add Guatemala or some equally interesting but safer port!

I am very disappointed in all the cruise lines that are still stopping here and putting their passengers at risk.

OK, the violence in Mexico is horrific. But since I last posted in this thread yesterday, in San Francisco, just steps away from the tourist corner of 16th and Valencia (though, granted, younger and hipper tourists than the average Princess cruiser), two guys shot up a bar at 11 pm, wounding five people and spraying the restaurant next door with bullets. Is anyone - anyone - less inclined to visit California because of this story?

Well I for one am disappointed in not going to Mazatlan which is my favorite port, but I understand the reason for it. Unfortunately the Sinola Drug Cartel which has operated in the area for years has decided to bring more violence into the tourist areas of Mazatlan. Too bad. I really do not like Cabo San Lucas. Too fake touristy for me. But any day on a cruise ship is a good day.

I too live by the anyday on a cruise ship is a good day for me theory.What puzzles me is people who save all year and dream of taking a cruise then can't wait to get off the ship and walk around a port. Why not just take a land vacation? I would be happy just floating out at sea:D

OK, the violence in Mexico is horrific. But since I last posted in this thread yesterday, in San Francisco, just steps away from the tourist corner of 16th and Valencia (though, granted, younger and hipper tourists than the average Princess cruiser), two guys shot up a bar at 11 pm, wounding five people and spraying the restaurant next door with bullets. Is anyone - anyone - less inclined to visit California because of this story?

Shepp, i agree with you that violence is everywhere and Mazatlan is no different, but using 16th and Valencia as an example of a SF tourist area is not the same. The gold zone is more like fishermans wharf than the mission. Gun fights do not break out weekly down there (on the wharf).......

Shepp, i agree with you that violence is everywhere and Mazatlan is no different, but using 16th and Valencia as an example of a SF tourist area is not the same. The gold zone is more like fishermans wharf than the mission. Gun fights do not break out weekly down there (on the wharf).......

Agree.. The gunfight in the Mission District was between two Mexican gangs, the Nortenos & Suranos.

Agree.. The gunfight in the Mission District was between two Mexican gangs, the Nortenos & Suranos.

And, I would not be surprised if it is also drug related!!! I want to know who takes all the drugs that are imported into our country? I do not live in a bubble and truly cannot understand all this!!! Makes me sad for residents and travelers of the countries of the world.

Probably just neighborhood cleansing in the mission, no biggee! LOL Grab a burrito and watch the fun!

And, I would not be surprised if it is also drug related!!! I want to know who takes all the drugs that are imported into our country? I do not live in a bubble and truly cannot understand all this!!! Makes me sad for residents and travelers of the countries of the world.

Check your local "medical" weed shop for the answer!

Probably just neighborhood cleansing in the mission, no biggee! LOL Grab a burrito and watch the fun!

We watch animals control their own neighborhoods with violence and accept it as nature doing what nature does. Maybe there are parallels?

Probably half your neighbors.

I have an idea, Princess will just have us sign a release of liability waiver and return to stopping in Mazatlan. Maybe Somalia will then be a port stop too!:eek:

That would be an excellent option, if it could stand up in court.......

To ChrisB123: Thank you so much for your humorous post! (Even if it was a little twisted!) ;)

After reading some of the postings in the past few days from folks wearing blinders with regard to corruption and drug cartel activities in Mexico, I thought to myself, my idea of a fun vacation also would not include sailing in a yacht along the coast of Somalia. Of course, my idea of trying an extreme sport adventure would also not include a game of Russian Roulette!

Your post was funny....and spot on! Thanks!

I just now, 5 minutes ago booked a Mexican Riveira cruise for Feb 2012, (new tours came in my E-Mail) and it still has Mazatlan included. This thread was started at least 3 days ago, why would they not have corected it or mentioned it when I booked. Interesting........

Archived