No More Mazatlan It's Official

MTJSR

Really glad I got my Mazatlan port day in before they did this. (The old city was interesting, unthreatening, and lovely.) I know I'm in the minority here, but - aside from the natural environment - I find Cabo to be a yucky theme-park version of Mexico, like the one at Epcot but with more booze and without the ride in the pyramid.

Really glad I got my Mazatlan port day in before they did this. (The old city was interesting, unthreatening, and lovely.) I know I'm in the minority here, but - aside from the natural environment - I find Cabo to be a yucky theme-park version of Mexico, like the one at Epcot but with more booze and without the ride in the pyramid.

I agree with you......

I agree with Shepp about Cabo, that is why we always bypass Cabo and head to

San Jose. Very quiet, no vendors, very old Mexico.

Now with staying two days,we can drive up the coast and experience a whole new area.

Greg

I would not recommend renting a car and traveling between any cities/towns in Mexico at this time. The drug cartels own the country, are armed with automatic and semi-automatic weapons and set up their own little "checkpoints" along the roads and highways. Even if they mistook you for a member of their competition, you would not even have a chance to argue your point. You may want to Google some of the recent violent attacks (to include dead U.S. Federal agent within past two weeks) before taking a chance..

I'm curious about driving a car in Mexico. I've always been warned if

you're driving a car in Mexico and someone hits you, that YOU are responsible or the police will arrest the driver who was hit. Mexico

makes up its own rules.

Could you please elaborate as to what you know

about driving in Mexico? If you buy the insurance does that release

you from the liability, et cet? I've always been afraid to rent a vehicle

and drive around in Mexico.

Thanks

We stopped in Ensenada on way back to San Pedro after a Hawaii cruise. While there, we did a tour to the blow hole. The tour guide was telling our bus about driving laws in Mexico. He said when there is an accident both sides goes to jail until they decide who is guilty. That would be too scary for me.

I'm curious about driving a car in Mexico. I've always been warned if

you're driving a car in Mexico and someone hits you, that YOU are responsible or the police will arrest the driver who was hit. Mexico

makes up its own rules.

Could you please elaborate as to what you know

about driving in Mexico? If you buy the insurance does that release

you from the liability, et cet? I've always been afraid to rent a vehicle

and drive around in Mexico.

Thanks

We stopped in Ensenada on way back to San Pedro after a Hawaii cruise. While there, we did a tour to the blow hole. The tour guide was telling our bus about driving laws in Mexico. He said when there is an accident both sides goes to jail until they decide who is guilty. That would be too scary for me.

Yup. I've been hearing horror stories for years about Americans driving

in Mexico. Years ago it used to be that they'd set you up by hiding

drugs in the hubcaps of the car you rented, and then you'd get pulled

over by the "policia" real or not real, and you'd have to pay a ransom

to keep from going to jail, or you'd actually get arrested by the "policia"

who were in on the operation, and you'd go to jail and have to post

a very high bail. I know a lot of Americans drive down there, but

I'm not going to be one of 'em.;)

Many years ago, we would drive down to Ensenada and stop at Rosarito beach for dinner.

It used to be a nice little getaway, but we had a run-in with the "law" and had to pay $140 to continue on our way. Nothing bad, but they "changed" their laws at the beginning of the year....this was March.

At any rate, we didn't drive down there any more.

As for Cabo, there is always a water taxi around the arch. Then you can go to Lover' Beach if you want.

I like to walk along the marina and go to the mall. There isn't much to shop for there, but it is a nice mall, and I like to go to Sr. Sweet's for a little treat. Great little restaurant.

I met a cruise buddy who owns Happy Ending Cantina on the main drag, so I always go in there for a Margarita and to say "HI" if he's in town. They also have internet and free phone calls to the US. (No, he's not paying me, but he should!):D

Cabo Wabo is another place I like to go. They are a little pricey, but you can order a meal and split it, they give you that much food. The drinks are good and strong.

I would love to finally see Cabo at night. I want to stroll along the resorts and see them firsthand. They look beautiful on the webcams...

There are tours and excursions you can take. They also have a Costco and I believe, a Wal Mart, if you are so inclined.

I'm kind of glad for this change, if only because the stop in Cabo was too short for my tastes.

I do feel bad for the people of Mazatlan. I have patronized the flea market at the pier, and we were planning an excursion on Stone Island.

I have walked from the Golden Zone to the old Sr. Frog's (oh, there is one in Cabo, along with a Hooter's and a Hard Rock)

and the malecon there is beautiful.

I don't know if the violence is really a problem or just over sensationalized, but with all that is going on there, I prefer to stay out of hot zones....

Hope Mexico can turn around from all this.

I would not recommend renting a car and traveling between any cities/towns in Mexico at this time. The drug cartels own the country, are armed with automatic and semi-automatic weapons and set up their own little "checkpoints" along the roads and highways. Even if they mistook you for a member of their competition, you would not even have a chance to argue your point. You may want to Google some of the recent violent attacks (to include dead U.S. Federal agent within past two weeks) before taking a chance..

Your comments make me nervous to even consider a ship's excursion. We signed up for Todos Santos & Hotel California, now I'm worried that a bus full of tourists would be an easy target. What are your thoughts on that?

Many years ago, we would drive down to Ensenada and stop at Rosarito beach for dinner.

It used to be a nice little getaway, but we had a run-in with the "law" and had to pay $140 to continue on our way. Nothing bad, but they "changed" their laws at the beginning of the year....this was March.

At any rate, we didn't drive down there any more.

As for Cabo, there is always a water taxi around the arch. Then you can go to Lover' Beach if you want.

I like to walk along the marina and go to the mall. There isn't much to shop for there, but it is a nice mall, and I like to go to Sr. Sweet's for a little treat. Great little restaurant.

I met a cruise buddy who owns Happy Ending Cantina on the main drag, so I always go in there for a Margarita and to say "HI" if he's in town. They also have internet and free phone calls to the US. (No, he's not paying me, but he should!):D

Cabo Wabo is another place I like to go. They are a little pricey, but you can order a meal and split it, they give you that much food. The drinks are good and strong.

I would love to finally see Cabo at night. I want to stroll along the resorts and see them firsthand. They look beautiful on the webcams...

There are tours and excursions you can take. They also have a Costco and I believe, a Wal Mart, if you are so inclined.

I'm kind of glad for this change, if only because the stop in Cabo was too short for my tastes.

I do feel bad for the people of Mazatlan. I have patronized the flea market at the pier, and we were planning an excursion on Stone Island.

I have walked from the Golden Zone to the old Sr. Frog's (oh, there is one in Cabo, along with a Hooter's and a Hard Rock)

and the malecon there is beautiful.

I don't know if the violence is really a problem or just over sensationalized, but with all that is going on there, I prefer to stay out of hot zones....

Hope Mexico can turn around from all this.

There is nothing over-sensationalized about what is going on in Mexico. Mexico is a victim of it own corruption.

Here's just a sample:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2010/12/15/death-toll-drug-plagued-mexican-border-city-tops/

I agree with you too. And, it's never as warm in Cabo as it is in Mazatlan. The ocean water is freezing cold there and it's a dry, boring desert. I'd take Mazatlan over Cabo any day. I know a lot of people really like Cabo, but it just feels like it's trying to be something it isn't. I'd rather have a more authentic Mexican port city.

Just notified our Sapphire sailing on the 30th of April has canceled Mazatlan and is visiting Cabo for two days.

That's too bad, because Mazatlan is the most fascinating stop on the Mexican Riv. in my opinion, and Cabo is the phoniest of all tourist traps (again, in my opinion). Why not two days in Puerto Vallarta?

I live in Mexico full time and we do not see any where near the violence that happens in major US cities. The US networks seem to flag any violent act that happens in Mexico and spread it all over the news. I feel very safe here. I drive back and forth to the USA and of course drive around town here. I am not alone since there are almost 6,000 Gringos that live here and love it.

I live in Mexico full time and we do not see any where near the violence that happens in major US cities. The US networks seem to flag any violent act that happens in Mexico and spread it all over the news. I feel very safe here. I drive back and forth to the USA and of course drive around town here. I am not alone since there are almost 6,000 Gringos that live here and love it.
I agree sort of and it would help if, mexico were to take actions to help change the perception that it is lawless and corrupt there. It sounds like even the police are in on it so if you are rolling the vacation dice, do I chance an unknown or opt for something a little safer? That is what the traveling public is up against and the cruise lines don't want to get trashed in public opinion for taking folks to a higher risk location.

There is nothing over-sensationalized about what is going on in Mexico. Mexico is a victim of it own corruption.

Here's just a sample:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2010/12/15/death-toll-drug-plagued-mexican-border-city-tops/

LOL we all know how unrelible, biased, one sided and corrupt Faux news is...:rolleyes:

I am planning my 5th trip in less then two years down to PV and despite what certain fear mongers report not all parts of Mexico are corrupt. That is like saying all Americans are bullies in the sand box or that all Canadians like Tim Hortons coffee and say, "Eh" ....gheez.....:eek:

<-----hates Timmy's coffee and never says, "Eh"

That's too bad, because Mazatlan is the most fascinating stop on the Mexican Riv. in my opinion, and Cabo is the phoniest of all tourist traps (again, in my opinion). Why not two days in Puerto Vallarta?

Probably because there are no docking fees in Cabo...

LOL we all know how unrelible, biased, one sided and corrupt Faux news is...:rolleyes:

I am planning my 5th trip in less then two years down to PV and despite what certain fear mongers report not all parts of Mexico are corrupt. That is like saying all Americans are bullies in the sand box or that all Canadians like Tim Hortons coffee and say, "Eh" ....gheez.....:eek:

<-----hates Timmy's coffee and never says, "Eh"

To: quincytoo

I am sure you are well versed on issues that may pertain to the U.S./Canada border area. Good for you! My posts were simply meant to provide cruisers a head's up when traveling in Mexico. And BTW, I have lived my whole life on the U.S./Mexico border and have first hand knowledge of the violence. Enjoy your 5th trip to PV, but try to keep your head out of the sand while you are there. ;)

To: quincytoo

I am sure you are well versed on issues that may pertain to the U.S./Canada border area. Good for you! My posts were simply meant to provide cruisers a head's up when traveling in Mexico. And BTW, I have lived my whole life on the U.S./Mexico border and have first hand knowledge of the violence. Enjoy your 5th trip to PV, but try to keep your head out of the sand while you are there. ;)

Last time I checked no cruise ship makes a stop at any of the border towns that have all the violence, until then I maintain that Mexico Ports are a safe (use your common sense and stay in tourist areas) way to see a lovely part of the world.

My brother's teenaged step son was shot three times and left for dead in a Phoniex parking lot, I don't hear stories like that coming from my friends living in PV.

This is my 5th trip in less then two years, I lost count how many times I have been down there .....and I am aware of what goes on in the border towns but as I said cruise ships are not in the habit of stopping there.:D

Last time I checked no cruise ship makes a stop at any of the border towns that have all the violence, until then I maintain that Mexico Ports are a safe (use your common sense and stay in tourist areas) way to see a lovely part of the world.

My brother's teenaged step son was shot three times and left for dead in a Phoniex parking lot, I don't hear stories like that coming from my friends living in PV.

This is my 5th trip in less then two years, I lost count how many times I have been down there .....and I am aware of what goes on in the border towns but as I said cruise ships are not in the habit of stopping there.:D

:confused: Last time I checked, Mazatlan was not a "Border Town". Maybe they moved it? Must be some reason the cruise lines are bypassing it right now?

Archived