Just off March 5 Oasis

Truly an unusual experience. We've cruised RCCL 42 times, never had a cruise where the passengers ruined the voyage. Over 2,000 Brazilians made for a very bad cruise. There was another sizable group --over 1,000 French. Very few of either group spoke ANY English. The food was great -- service great. Many of you have said that Oasis is not crowded, the majority of the time it was so crowded you could not walk in public areas. Perhaps it was the demographic make-up, but it was a miserable cruise. One other area that some should be aware of, I have read numerous times that the Boardwalk balcony cabins are not noisy -- I beg to differ. The noise began at 8:00 AM and lasted until 11:00 PM each day. This morning CNN began on the big screens LOUD at 6:00 AM. Should you care to take an afternoon nap in your cabin, it will be difficult.

Yuk - sounds like a bad nightmare..............I would complain loudly to RCCL..............

No offense, but complain about what?? That they allowed Brazilians and French onboard??

And honestly, I don't think that 8:00 am is too early, nor 11:00 pm too late for activity.

Truly an unusual experience. We've cruised RCCL 42 times, never had a cruise where the passengers ruined the voyage. Over 2,000 Brazilians made for a very bad cruise. There was another sizable group --over 1,000 French.

And what did the Brazilians do to ruin the cruise?:confused:

I wouldn't complain to RCL about who they allowed to sail on their ships. I will be more diligent in the future researching large groups that might be sailing on a date I am interested in. There are websites that provide that info -- I just didn't check them. It's not the fact that there were a lot of Brazilians onboard -- it's that they treated the ship like it was their private party boat! They clogged public areas -- had no elevator etiquete - had no qualms about yelling across the ship to one another. You know how nice the solarium usually is? Not on this sailing -- it was party central for everyone including children. The crew did not enforce age limits anywhere on the ship.

Thank you for telling me another check for Freedom for me, been debating Oasis or Freedom for this year (been on LOS twice also and loved her) I not want to deal with crowds and lines sorry you had to, bigger sometimes isn't better.

Thank you for telling me another check for Freedom for me, been debating Oasis or Freedom for this year (been on LOS twice also and loved her) I not want to deal with crowds and lines sorry you had to, bigger sometimes isn't better.

The OP is correct about crowding. It's not the number........it's the way that some people congregate and won't move.

Any ship will feel crowded if a huge group of people gather in any one area or walk in a way that blocks every one else from getting by.

It can happen on the Majesty, on the Grandeur, on the Explorer, on the Freedom or on the Oasis.

And any of those ships can feel free and easy.

It all depends.

On my one cruise on the Oasis, I didn't feel crowded except when a show let out and during a show on the Royal Promenade, but it feels that way on any ship.

This is completely subjective! We went on Oasis and did not find the lines to be long. We always found a seat in the Windjammer. There were loungers by the pool. The check in at the new terminal built for her was the smoothest and fastest we've ever encountered.

Choose whichever ship you want, but please don't let a negative review stating crowds and too many foreigners to sway you so heavily. :rolleyes:

You got on Oasis the day that I got off. It seems that we had very different experiences.

Thanks for posting this! Although I'm not doubting the OPs experience and their opinion, it does make me a little anxious to think that our SOLD OUT upcoming Allure cruise may feel crowded. I can deal with it in doses, but don't need it all week.

You got on Oasis the day that I got off. It seems that we had very different experiences.

ditto guess we were lucky we had a mellow group on ours I still would have preferred to stay on an additional week even with a rowdy group LOL I hated leaving the ship!!! :(

OK, on our Halloween Cruise....we had a lot of Brazilians on board also but....As a GAY MAN......THEY WERE EYE CANDY TO ME.....Sorry everyone...just had to say that..:) We cruise to cruise and to go with the flow...we had 11729...Boardwalk balcony over looking the Aqua Theater.....YES we heard noise...but not to keep us up at any time. Would I do again....probably not....I do enjoy the Ocean veiw and the Heavy Set Couple across from us wearing nothing was not very pleasing to look at...but I did get some good chuckles. I guess it is back to Holland America for you. Sorry you had a bad experiance but Oasis and Allure are GREAT ships!!

Mike

I love to read reviews and find that it's an IMMEDIATE turn off when the poster comes across as a bigoted American. Everyone is supposed to speak English? If you feel that way you need to stick with an American owned cruise line - wait a minute, didn't they all go out of business?

I normally sign off with happy sails, this time however I just have to say

Good luck

~ Liz (all American)

Thanks for posting this! Although I'm not doubting the OPs experience and their opinion, it does make me a little anxious to think that our SOLD OUT upcoming Allure cruise may feel crowded. I can deal with it in doses, but don't need it all week.

Michele, I qm not sure if you have read this or not but here is a link to a write-up that I did about my week on Oasis. Our week was sold out also so don't get anxious about your week on Allure being the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373623

The OP is correct about crowding. It's not the number........it's the way that some people congregate and won't move.

Any ship will feel crowded if a huge group of people gather in any one area or walk in a way that blocks every one else from getting by.

It can happen on the Majesty, on the Grandeur, on the Explorer, on the Freedom or on the Oasis.

It all depends.

I agree. If a large group stays together or meets together periodically in an area, it is bound to clog the traffic flow and that will cause issues for other passengers not part of the group. I suspect this is what the OP was trying to say.

It all depends.

On my one cruise on the Oasis, I didn't feel crowded except when a show let out and during a show on the Royal Promenade, but it feels that way on any ship.

So, so true.

On our Christmas cruise on the Allure, we experienced some of what the OP mentioned because so many families were cruising together. Not over the top and mostly when shows or dinner times let out. Elevators were a problem at those times. Even on vacation sometimes patience is a hard virtue. :)

That's exactly right. It isn't about what language is spoken. Many cultures and nationalities do not have the sense of community we have. I guess it works for them, but to us (at least, most of us), it's a behavior we find rude. Many things we consider to be courteous just aren't practiced by them. I do feel for the Op. I've had cruises like that, so I know exactly what they are talking about.

OK, on our Halloween Cruise....we had a lot of Brazilians on board also but....As a GAY MAN......THEY WERE EYE CANDY TO ME.....Sorry everyone...just had to say that..:) We cruise to cruise and to go with the flow...we had 11729...Boardwalk balcony over looking the Aqua Theater.....YES we heard noise...but not to keep us up at any time. Would I do again....probably not....I do enjoy the Ocean veiw and the Heavy Set Couple across from us wearing nothing was not very pleasing to look at...but I did get some good chuckles. I guess it is back to Holland America for you. Sorry you had a bad experiance but Oasis and Allure are GREAT ships!!

Mike

Made me laugh out my coffee! LOLS!:)

I wouldn't complain to RCL about who they allowed to sail on their ships. I will be more diligent in the future researching large groups that might be sailing on a date I am interested in. There are websites that provide that info -- I just didn't check them. It's not the fact that there were a lot of Brazilians onboard -- it's that they treated the ship like it was their private party boat! They clogged public areas -- had no elevator etiquete - had no qualms about yelling across the ship to one another. You know how nice the solarium usually is? Not on this sailing -- it was party central for everyone including children. The crew did not enforce age limits anywhere on the ship.

Funny you get the same complaints when the Brazilians invade DisneyWorld each year

ok, on our halloween cruise....we had a lot of brazilians on board also but....as a gay man......they were eye candy to me.....sorry everyone...just had to say that..:) we cruise to cruise and to go with the flow...we had 11729...boardwalk balcony over looking the aqua theater.....yes we heard noise...but not to keep us up at any time. Would i do again....probably not....i do enjoy the ocean veiw and the heavy set couple across from us wearing nothing was not very pleasing to look at...but i did get some good chuckles. I guess it is back to holland america for you. Sorry you had a bad experiance but oasis and allure are great ships!!

Mike

:d:d:d:d

Yuk - sounds like a bad nightmare..............I would complain loudly to RCCL..............

And what would you complain about? RCI markets both Oasis and Allure heavily in the European and South American markets. Are cruise ships only supposed to carry Americans or people that speak English? On my first Oasis cruise, it was about 40% non U.S citizens on board. No issues at all but what we see as rude, others from different nationalities may not. Sometimes it's not easy to deal with. The OP stated that the service and food was good. Not sure what there is to complain about to the cruise line.

Sorry that the OP did not enjoy the cruise but after four cruises on the Oasis class ships, I stand by my opinion that they are the greatest ships that I have ever cruised.

Archived