Pier in New York

RedSox5

Hi- Haven't cruised out of New York since I was a kid. Does anyone have the address of the pier? I'm trying to figure the best way for us to get there, and it would help if I knew exactly where I was going! ;)

Also, if anyone has any experience getting to the pier via train, I'd love to hear about it. At this point, that's our plan- just trying to work out the details.

Thanks.

Their are downloadable directions to every port (in .pdf form) on NCL's website.

It is very easy to catch a cab from the train station to the pier on embarkation day.

Thank you- would you happen to know which train station is the closest to the pier?

Hi- Haven't cruised out of New York since I was a kid. Does anyone have the address of the pier? I'm trying to figure the best way for us to get there, and it would help if I knew exactly where I was going! ;)

Also, if anyone has any experience getting to the pier via train, I'd love to hear about it. At this point, that's our plan- just trying to work out the details.

Thanks.

Hi. We took the gem in feb. We took the train from providence to ny. It goes to Penn station. The taxi to the ship was around 10.00. Have the driver drop you across the street from pier 88. The train was fantastic easy convenient. Next time we sail out of ny we will take the train again. If you look on ncl's website there is a code to get 15%off train fare. Taking the train was easy and stress free. No fighting traffic. The train is roomier and there was free wifi at the stations and plugs at your seat in the train . We used them for our iPods and it was great!

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal consists of three piers: 88, 90, and 92. These are located on the west side of 12 Av, opposite 48, 50, and 52 Sts, respectively. The closest station is 50 St on the Eighth Avenue line (C and E trains). From there you walk crosstown 4 blocks.

Of course, the other two locations, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and Cape Liberty Cruise Port, are not in Manhattan and have different answers to your questions.

Hi. We took the gem in feb. We took the train from providence to ny. It goes to Penn station. The taxi to the ship was around 10.00. Have the driver drop you across the street from pier 88. The train was fantastic easy convenient. Next time we sail out of ny we will take the train again. If you look on ncl's website there is a code to get 15%off train fare. Taking the train was easy and stress free. No fighting traffic. The train is roomier and there was free wifi at the stations and plugs at your seat in the train . We used them for our iPods and it was great!

Thank you- that is SO helpful! :D

Related question -

We're planning on staying at Newark Penn Station Hilton. Many connecting trains to get to the pier?

Assuming you're talking about the Manhattan cruise pier, there are no connecting trains. Just take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station. Most will then take a taxi from there to the pier...about $10 including tip. You can also walk from NY Penn Station to the pier if you're so inclined...it's about 1 1/2 miles.

Easy trip if you can roll your luggage. Newark Penn Station is across the street from the Hilton. Take NJ transit 2 stops to NY Penn Station - $5/pp. From NY Penn Station take a cab to the pier - as others have said $10-$15.

Easy trip if you can roll your luggage. .

Funny story, my husband and I were coming back to Manhattan from my step fathers in Northern New Jersy via Penn Station rolling our luggage up Seventh Avenue (my apartment was on West 57th). This was in October 2001 and The Producers was the hottest show on Broadway at the time.

One of out bags, attached to a larger rolling bag started to wiggle and my husband not paying attention to anything in front of him, kept walking forward while he was trying to fix the luggage.

The top bag flipped off and took out both Nathan Lane AND Matther Broderick!! They were walking to the theater.

I was mortified but they were both extremely gracious.

Moral of the story, make sure your luggage behaves if you walk to port!

The two stations are Penn Station which is at 8th Ave. and 31st Street. The other is Grand Central Terminal which is a little bit north of Penn Station at 42nd Street and Park Ave. Both are about a 10-15 minute trip to the port (if there are no traffic jams). No trains run crosstown.

Thanks.

Not sure where you are in CT, but if you drive, take either I-84 to I-684 to the Saw Mill Tnpk, which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy. When the Highway ends (BIG stop light intersection, where it merges into 12th Ave), the entrance to the port is a few yards ahead on your right. VERY east to get there.

Alternately, you can take the Merritt Pkwy, which becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy, then follow that until it merges into the Saw Mill Pkwy.

Aim to get there 10:30-11:00ish. Parking at the port is $30 per day. We have a family member drive us down and pick us up, so it just costs a couple tanks of gas.

Oh, just remember to take your Sox magnet off the car before you head down. I got beeped at a lot, and drew a lot of dirty looks, when I forgot to remove mine.

Can someone explain drop off and pick up for the Jewel please? Have friends cruising on her and they are hoping to have someone drop them off and pick them up.

Being familiar with Bayonne and of course, the ports in FL, I wasn't sure how drop off/pick up are done in NYC because the ship berths perpendicular to 12th Avenue, rather than parallel, so you don't pull up along side her.

Anyone have some information on this? Thanks.

Not sure where you are in CT, but if you drive, take either I-84 to I-684 to the Saw Mill Tnpk, which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy. When the Highway ends (BIG stop light intersection, where it merges into 12th Ave), the entrance to the port is a few yards ahead on your right. VERY east to get there.

Alternately, you can take the Merritt Pkwy, which becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy, then follow that until it merges into the Saw Mill Pkwy.

Aim to get there 10:30-11:00ish. Parking at the port is $30 per day. We have a family member drive us down and pick us up, so it just costs a couple tanks of gas.

Oh, just remember to take your Sox magnet off the car before you head down. I got beeped at a lot, and drew a lot of dirty looks, when I forgot to remove mine.

I prefer the Merritt. The Merritt becomes the Hutchinson River Parkway. When you get to New Rochelle, look for exit 15 Cross County Parkway. Stay in the middle left lane - this will become the left lane on a "scrunch". This lane will take you directly to the Saw Mill River Parkway South to the Henry Hudson Parkway to the pier (toll $4).

Can someone explain drop off and pick up for the Jewel please? Have friends cruising on her and they are hoping to have someone drop them off and pick them up.

Being familiar with Bayonne and of course, the ports in FL, I wasn't sure how drop off/pick up are done in NYC because the ship berths perpendicular to 12th Avenue, rather than parallel, so you don't pull up along side her.

The motor vehicle entrance to the complex is at 55th St. and 12th Ave.

As they enter the terminal they should drive up the ramp to the second level, and they can drop the passengers off at the entrance to the pier where the ship is docked. (Usually Pier 88 for NCL.) All passenger are dropped off near the bow of the ship.

Originally Posted by njmomof2

The motor vehicle entrance to the complex is at 55th St. and 12th Ave.

As they enter the terminal they should drive up the ramp to the second level, and they can drop the passengers off at the entrance to the pier where the ship is docked. (Usually Pier 88 for NCL.) All passenger are dropped off near the bow of the ship.

The porters will meet you at the car, you walk in the door, and you are there. Very easy, though unless you get there early (before 11:00) there could be a long line.

Thanks for the drop off info for the pier.

What about pick up? They are having someone come and get them. Do they do the same thing...drive up and meet them or do you pick people up somewhere else?

Usually yes, but I've seen them change the traffic patterns on a particular day for reasons known only to the people directing traffic at the port, resulting in cars being directed to street level for pick ups. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is have the disembarking passengers cross 12th Ave. to the northbound side and have their ride pick them up near the corner of 12th and 48th St.

Usually the best thing to do is have the person providing the ride find a street parking spot not far from the port, and then have the passengers call them when they've left the terminal and know where cars are being directed. This actually how most limo services do it.

Archived