No more lounge chairs on balcony??

There is going to be more pool-side activity at midnight than in the middle of the day, with all of us making "midnight requisitions"! :p (Love that!!) My friend and I have the two deck 10 corner aft D1's on Mariner for next February, and we both spend an inordinate amount of time out there on those ginormous awesome balconies. In loungers, not chairs. There *will* be loungers on our balconies, somehow someway!

I LOVE to sit on the balcony and read for hours. One of the main reasons I cruise. So peaceful being out on the water. That being said, I was very dissappointed with the chairs being so uncomfortable on the Allure. They are fine for sitting upright to eat or a guick visit to the balcony, but not very comfy for sitting back to relax. I had much envy looking across at the Celebrity ships across from me in port that had more relaxing chairs on their balconies. I asked my room steward for a stool atleast and was told NO. I think on my next Oasis cruise I will make a trip to the top deck to "borrow" one of the lightweight stools up there. Really wish the chairs were not so upright!! The older RCCL ships have much more comfortable balcony chairs. Really think RCCL made a mistake with the type of balcony chairs it chose for Oasis and Allure.

A couple of thoughts:

Loungers may have very well been now considered a fire hazard. Ahemm......after decades of use. How many fire mishaps have been caused by a lounger......Rrrright?

RCCL is too darn tight fisted to replace the ones that break! Likely IMHO.

If they keep the passengers on deck in the loungers they can get more $$ in from beverages in their greedy fists! Very Likely IMHO. Although, wouldn't this fit nicely if they offer the Alcoholic Beverage Packages they're trying outside the U.S. ????? Hmmm......

Whatever the case may be....I think they are definitely shooting themselves in the foot, both of them!!! I predict that if this continues and is implemented thoroughly it will backfire. Passengers who pay large sums for larger balconys will be majorly PO'd.

Just my 2 cents.

Love it!

After 33 years in the news business and an entire life living in NYC, my hubby can talk just about anybody into just about anything. I am sure if we get a "no" a midnight requisition would be a "go".

We have cabin 1688 on the Explorer - aft/corner with a gagunda balcony because the cabin is a "doublewide". DH has only cruised a couple of times but I spoiled him on the first trip with an aft-facing balcony. That is all he will consider now.

Take away a New Yorker's lounge chair.......would not be pretty. He spends HOURS on the balcony.

Hopefully you'll be okay. We were in a RFS in December and had four loungers on our balcony. Enjoy!!

Here is a great idea I just had!!

Why not CALL RCI and ask them about it. If they say it should not be a problem then you should be set. If your steward doesn't want to get you one (assuming one isn't already there) then all you have to do is go talk to someone at guest relations. :D

(I'm not talking to the OP since it is obviously too late for her)

That would be a great idea if, generally speaking, the people you contact in Miami gave out good information. However, it's not so great when, for a lot of issues, asking people here is more reliable.

When I was on the Radiance last month, I was sitting with one of the LA's, when another couple came in to sit with her partner at the next desk. They announced loudly that they wanted to "register a complaint" with him.

They went on to rant: "Wanted to lodge a complaint with your company on the absense of lounge chairs on our large aft balcony"....."We have paid extra for a large balcony and NO full chaise loungers....just 2 chairs and a table!! We are VERY unhappy with your company!!"

The LA asked if they had called customer service to request one? "no..." Did they ask the room attendant for one? "no..."

They were told that all they had to do was ask for one. "Oh..ok..." as they sheepishly left the room.

I still have not needed to "bump...thump...smash..crash" my way down the hallway with one at 6:00 am with coffee mug in my other hand. But perhaps the midnight requisition team will have cleared the decks by then!! :eek: ;)

I just sent an email to RC to ask if they still allow the loungers on the balcony cabins or not. I specifically asked about Serenade of the Seas as that is what ship I'll be on this summer. I'll let you know the reply.

Tanya:)

Just one more reason not to cruise with RCI. First they took away some of our Diamond benefits (they have recently tried to make amends), took away our ability to "stack" cruise credits and discounts, cut-back on the quality of food (just try to compare the lobster tails served today to what was served ten years ago), started charging for food products on-board (i,e, good coffee, ice cream, alternative restaurants, etc), increased prices of drinks, put a ban on bringing liquids aboard, etc etc. And now we have cut-backs on loungers? We suspect that RCI will soon charge for using the elevators! The thing is that it is a competitive industry (we ourselves have been on 12 cruise lines) and cruisers can either whine, or vote with their dollars.

Hank

I was just searching the forum about this very issue, because I will be on Serenade in two weeks in an aft cabin. And I snapped a photo of the back of Serenade on February 5, and noticed that not every aft cabin had loungers -- including the one I will be in on Deck 7.

Below is the photo I took, and I've put dots under each balcony:

2 green dots = 2 loungers

1 green dot = 1 lounger

1 red dot = no lounger(s)

serenade_aft.jpg

(click to enlarge)

So, according to some other posts in this forum, it seems that asking (and tipping) my stateroom attendant is the best way to get a lounger. Think I should come prepared with this photo in case any higher-ups give me bull about "the new policy"? ;)

- Mike :-)

1kfjngvdw

We had an ocean-facing Junior Suite on Allure in February. Three of us occupied the Junior Suite, yet we had only two chairs and a table on the balcony. The balcony had plenty of space for at least one lounger or another chair.

I noticed other Junior Suites that faced inward on the Boardwalk. They had even larger balconies than ours but only two chairs and no loungers.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that a large balcony can't even have three chairs or two chairs and a lounger.

A further point...the Solarium area had removed all the fabulous covered sofa-like loungers that adorned the area during our December cruise! I didn't bother to ask why figuring I'd get a variety of answers if I asked a a variety of crew about those cozy covered sofas.

Maybe it is a question of weight or just a cost-reduction idea. Anyway, I feel that the larger balconies should have more than two chairs and a table.

The clamshell loungers were suppposedly moved to the suite's only sun deck.

Three of us were in a GS on Allure a few weeks ago. There were 2 lounge chairs (actually padded chairs with matching foot rests that lined up like a lounge chair) with a small round coffee table between and a table with 2 chairs. Since there were 3 of us and we all planned to eat at the table and relax in the sun together, we asked for an extra lounger and an extra chair for the balcony table so we could all eat out there (the living room chairs were too huge to move). There was plenty of room to put an extra lounger. The cabin attendant was sweet, but said that no extra furniture was allowed on the balconies other than what was already there. She had her supervisor come to explain it to us - she said the same thing about safety regulations, etc., etc. We didn't push it and did fine. We ended up using the rattan coffee table (very sturdy) as the third seat for the table and it turned out that 3 of us rarely seemed to be available to lounge on the balcony at the same time-we rotated through and were fine. We didn't ask the concierge about it or any other balcony people - maybe we just gave up too quickly :)

Same issue on my Radiance cruise in May 2010. I had a hump D2, 9th floor and there was no lounger. We had 2 chairs and a table. First time in a hump, so was excited to have the extra room for the lounger on this trip. Much easier to relax and read on my balcony than in the upright chairs. When I asked for one, room steward said they weren’t allowed anymore. What I don’t think they realize is that a lot of passengers are traveling in groups and therefore have access to other balconies to see what is there.

Friends were in another D2, 9th floor (across the hall from us) and they had 2 chairs, table and a lounger. Other friends were in an Aft JS 10th floor and they had 2 loungers, 2 chairs and table. Also I could see the balcony next to us and they had a lounger. So their logic is wrong. Telling us they aren’t allowed was incorrect when we could see them on other balconies.

I did let them know my feelings on the comment card and on the follow up email. Sad that this is affecting so many ships and balconies.

Lori

This is our second cruise this year in an oversized balcony and we can't get a lounge chair from RCL anymore....

WHY?????

First response was it's a fire hazard...ummmm, the chairs that are with the table are made with the same material...bad excuse!!!

Ridiculous!! I can't personally believe that when you have JS or an aft balcony with a LARGE balcony that you can't have a lounge chair...

Anyone else with the same experience/???

Yes, we just got off the Noordam (Holland America) and had the same experience. We had a deluxe veranda suite in the aft - huge balcony - no lounge chairs. We had been on the Eurodam in October - smaller balcony, but they did have loungers. On the Noordam, we nicely asked the room attendant - no dice - even with the promise of a big tip. Went to the front desk - same dumb excuses - fire hazard, etc. Then, looking over the rail, saw that the people below us had somehow gotten a lounge chair - after complaining bitterly - as did everyone with rooms in the aft. So, back we went to the front desk and asked for the manager. FINALLY - got one lounge chair (taken off the promenade deck - doesn't lay flat - and made of wood - talk about a fire hazard) and we were asked not to tell anybody. Now, those deluxe veranda suites don't come cheap and I'm now questioning the wisdom of booking with HAL again. AND - we are on a repo cruise in October with RC's Jewel of the Seas. If we don't have a lounge then, we will be very unhappy campers (GS cabin 1600). That is why we pay the extra bucks for the big veranda's in the aft - those loungers mean a lot to us.

Will let you know if they have loungers as we are in the cabin next door on JOS 22nd August.[/SIZE]

Same issue on my Radiance cruise in May 2010. I had a hump D2, 9th floor and there was no lounger. We had 2 chairs and a table. First time in a hump, so was excited to have the extra room for the lounger on this trip. Much easier to relax and read on my balcony than in the upright chairs. When I asked for one, room steward said they weren’t allowed anymore. What I don’t think they realize is that a lot of passengers are traveling in groups and therefore have access to other balconies to see what is there.

Friends were in another D2, 9th floor (across the hall from us) and they had 2 chairs, table and a lounger. Other friends were in an Aft JS 10th floor and they had 2 loungers, 2 chairs and table. Also I could see the balcony next to us and they had a lounger. So their logic is wrong. Telling us they aren’t allowed was incorrect when we could see them on other balconies.

I did let them know my feelings on the comment card and on the follow up email. Sad that this is affecting so many ships and balconies.

Lori

Hi Lori, do you mind if I ask if you were on the side or centre humps / do you know if the loungers you saw were on side or centre humps? Thanks!

My wife has a medical problem and needs to have her leg raised for periods of time. On Oasis on 2/19 - we asked our room attendennt for a foot stool - he asked his supervisor who stopped by and visited and had one brought that night. The next week we sailed on the Allure - did the same request - the supervisor said NO - it was a fire hazard. We explained that Oasis was very accomodating - would they reconsider. NO - so we went to guest relations and asked and was told that they would get back to us.....another day of no response.......so we asked the concierge and they contacted the room attendent supervisor......got a call back from the supervisor that said that the concierge called her but the answer was still NO. We had a lunch with the asst hotel director and we asked him about the need.......he immediately said YES and made a phone call. A medical seat arrived that evening (we needed just a portible foot rest) - so I asked the room attendent to return the medical seat (like what is used in a handicap shower). I walked to one of the aft common balconies and requisitioned one of the plastic laced foot rests. It only took 4 days to resolve the issue - persistence works!!!!!

I've heard this story on various ships over the past couple of years. On Radiance they removed the loungers on all the aft balcony cabins except for Deck 10. We've always had loungers on the aft balconies, on all 4 Radiance class ships, Vision, Splendour and Rhapsody.

We were just on Liberty's 3/5/11 sailing and had two loungers on our midship hump balcony. If we don't have them on our aft JS on Rhapsody next month, we'll be sure to make a midnight requisition.

One of the biggest issues with this site is that people take the experience of one cruiser, on one sailing, of one ship and extrapolate from it that there is likely a new fleetwide policy.

I too had heard about loungers on Radiance, and yet, in January when we cruised on her all three of the deck nine aft cabins we had had a lounger on the balcony.

Just one more reason not to cruise with RCI. First they took away some of our Diamond benefits (they have recently tried to make amends), took away our ability to "stack" cruise credits and discounts, cut-back on the quality of food (just try to compare the lobster tails served today to what was served ten years ago), started charging for food products on-board (i,e, good coffee, ice cream, alternative restaurants, etc), increased prices of drinks, put a ban on bringing liquids aboard, etc etc. And now we have cut-backs on loungers? We suspect that RCI will soon charge for using the elevators! The thing is that it is a competitive industry (we ourselves have been on 12 cruise lines) and cruisers can either whine, or vote with their dollars.

Hank

Actually, they're going to charge to use the stairs and call it part of the Vitality program.:p

Lori

I would bet that 90% of the people who hear that immediately drop the subject. Had I been in your shoes, I would have escalated to Guest Services, cornered the HD at the C&A party and generally made a pest of myself just for sport;). Heck, I might even have gone to the Captain's Chat (or whatever they call it) and ask about it. They're always looking for something new to talk about there...

I have another theory. (I love theories!) RCI would love to have us all booking full suites, which get faux wicker furniture - chairs, full tables, loungers, etc. So they've been taking away little things from the regular cabins - chocolates, Q-tips, nice towels (and I believe that the suites don't have to go to the pool deck to check out pool towels), now perhaps loungers. But the full suites still get them. Of course, people are more likely to go to another cruise line or just suffer and complain about it, but it's possible that they're trying the make the suites more attractive not by adding anything but by taking away from the lesser categories.

In response to LuckiePuris' question: Hi Lori, do you mind if I ask if you were on the side or centre humps / do you know if the loungers you saw were on side or centre humps? Thanks!

Response: Both the D2s were side humps, one port, one starboard. One had a lounger, one did not. I was able to see the side hump next to us and it had one. So no consistency.

Have a nice weekend everyone,

Lori

Archived