The Penthouse with the extended balcony

JimandStan

Because it is shorter, port intensive cruise, and because there will be (I imagine) a lot going on, we decided to take a Penthouse on the Riviera's first sailing.

As a result of all the discussion here (we are always learning from you guys), we decided to go with 7135 which is one of those infamous "extended veranda" cabins on deck 7 aft.

210504.jpg

122431.jpg The veranda does look amazing, and there is something to be said for how sunny those veranda are

110805.jpg

And so a new adventure begins.......I'm off to the Roll Call!

Because it is shorter, port intensive cruise, and because there will be (I imagine) a lot going on, we decided to take a Penthouse on the Riviera's first sailing.

As a result of all the discussion here (we are always learning from you guys), we decided to go with 7135 which is one of those infamous "extended veranda" cabins on deck 7 aft.

210504.jpg

122431.jpg The veranda does look amazing, and there is something to be said for how sunny those veranda are

110805.jpg

And so a new adventure begins.......I'm off to the Roll Call!

Thanks so much for the picture of our 7135 balcony. It looks wonderful. We will have this cabin on March 28th on Marina!

Just looking at the pictures and diagram. In addition to it looking like it is a "wrap around," is it any deeper than the other balconies because it's in the rear??? Just wondering. We booked a PH today on a 2012 Marina itinerary; needless to say, we have lots of choices.

Would love for someone to let me know if it is both bigger because of the wrap around as well as deeper.

Mom C

Mom C (Kelli's Mom) here. Great to see you are back on and ready to sail again. Bob and I (no Kelli this time), have just booked on the Marina's British Isles Legends for 2012--our chance to spend 5 days in Ireland is the big draw. I have been studying PH 7135 since you posted. Is that balcony deeper?? Does it span HALF of the back of deck 7???

Also, WHY does PH 7033 look bigger in the deck plan?? Is that an optical illusion? Do you have any knowledge of this?

We enjoyed meeting you guys and seeing you looking so tan and happy by the pool each day.

Linda

Just looking at the pictures and diagram. In addition to it looking like it is a "wrap around," is it any deeper than the other balconies because it's in the rear??? Just wondering. We booked a PH today on a 2012 Marina itinerary; needless to say, we have lots of choices.

Would love for someone to let me know if it is both bigger because of the wrap around as well as deeper.

Mom C

Hi Mom C!

Yes, those deck 7 balconies in the rear of the ship that are over the Grand Dining Room are about 6 feet deeper than the others at the side of the ship.

110805.jpg

The Veranda of 7130 and 7135 do not wrap around to the stern, but the aft (short) side of their veranda faces the wake:

000559.jpg

205927.jpgIn this smaller photo, you can see the partition that divides the aft penthouse veranda from the stern areas which are apparently lined with Air Conditioning Vents.

Hope this helped-

S&J

The Veranda of 7130 and 7135 do not wrap around to the stern, but the aft (short) side of their veranda faces the wake...

205927.jpg

In this smaller photo, you can see the partition that divides the aft penthouse veranda from the stern areas which are apparently lined with Air Conditioning Vents.

Jim, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Looking at the rear balcony are directly above the blue line (Deck 7), the center space (directly above the ladder) is lined with AC vents.

2011-01-27%2003.20.46.jpg

But, the sections on either side of that center section appear to be part of the balcony for either penthouse suite -- not the passageway openings in the partitions near the corner!

I think the door to the balcony will be on the side, as opposed to your OC suite which was in the rear, but I bet you will be able to walk around the corner and at least stand at the rail on the stern section of your balcony all the way across to the center section partitions. There may even be room for chairs back there...

Thanks Stan and Jim (I believe it's Jim that posts most of these), but hi to both of you. And hi to you Don and Betsy.

Are the AC vents a "good" thing or a "bad" thing?? Just asking--I have no idea.

Mom C (Linda)

Thank you very much for the great pictures. These rear cabins do not seem to have a balcony in the back, just AC vents. Not a good thing since there could be some noise from them, and being down low in the back I am sure there will be vibrations from the engines. A few more feet on the side balcony is not worth the large chance of extra noise. Also quite far from the Ex. lounge. Your pictures have shown me where we do not want to be, so again we thank you for posting them.:)

I am sure there will be vibrations from the engines.

Just a note regarding the vibration

It seems it only happens when the ship is in reverse, does not matter where you are, the ship vibrates ;)

Otherwise you do not even know you are moving

Lyn

We would say that the ship trembled a bit more at the stern, but only when speed was increased, when the thrusters were being used, or, as Lynne says, when the ship is in reverse.

We are VERY anxious to experience a Mediterranean Cruise on the Riviera because at under 15 knots, the Marina was as smooth as glass. And very steady.

...These rear cabins do not seem to have a balcony in the back, just AC vents. Not a good thing since there could be some noise from them, and being down low in the back I am sure there will be vibrations from the engines...

marina-aft.jpg

The area outlined in red is the only area that has A/C vents. The areas outlined in green are undisputed penthouse balconies for 7130 and 7135. The areas outlined in yellow are the areas in question. I believe they are part of the penthouse balconies, because I can see daylight through the openings from the side, marked "access" in the above photo.

There are partitions between the yellow areas and the red area. While there is constant air pressure through the vents, there is no undue noise associated with them. They are quieter than the air passing through residential air conditioning compressors, because the fan for the ship's vents is buried inside the system. I know, because I was directly next to them, without a partition, when I took the picture on the slatted vents shown in my earlier post.

The same vents appear between the aft balconies of the Oceania Suites on Deck 11, are directly below the staircase from the Terrace Cafe, and are not noisy. The areas directly behind the vents are somewhat uncomfortable because of the constant fast moving air. They are accessible from the hallways on deck 7 and deck 11, but are not intended as passenger areas.

Here are the pictures from Deck 11. First is the stairway from the Terrace Cafe on Deck 12.

P1010182.JPG

Next, the deck area on Deck 11 -- the partition is between the utility deck area and the Oceania Suite. The access door to the hallway on Deck 11 is to the right.

P1010189.JPG

Finally, the A/C vents on that utility deck, along with some extra Terrace Cafe furniture being stored there.

P1010190.JPG

As for vibration from the engines, as Lynn and Jim said, very rarely, usually only at docking. The aft ride is amazingly comfortable, both from a noise and vibration standpoint -- more comfortable than the R ships, and much more comfortable than Regent Voyager or Navigator.

JimandStan,

I may have misposted. I am not booked on the MV.

Darn it Wripro! And I here I was pressing my Nolan Millers, just to impress you!

It would have been fun to get the 411 (that's Californian for kibitz).

Seriously, you will be missed

The amount of information (pictorial especially), analysis and comment on this subject is quite extraordinary! Thank you all - JimandStan and Hondorner in particular. The only problem is the information is slightly academic to us in that we booked within hours of UK sales opening and failed to secure an OC OR either 7130 or 7135 which I quickly spotted as prime real estate!

Consequently we are next door (on Colonial Crossing) in 7133. Now, will we be tempted to sneekily peer round into emairs space or will we just not want to look...?!!

Look forward to meeting some of you very soon - we leave for a week in Miami to 'acclimatise' on Monday.

Consequently we are next door (on Colonial Crossing) in 7133. Now, will we be tempted to sneekily peer round into emairs space or will we just not want to look...?!!

Look forward to meeting some of you very soon - we leave for a week in Miami to 'acclimatise' on Monday.

Ha, ha, very funny!!

I don't think you will see anything too exciting. Anyway, you won't have to sneakily peer into our space, as you'll be joining us for happy hour, right?

Have a great time in Miami, and we'll see you soon!!

Ha, ha, very funny!!

I don't think you will see anything too exciting. Anyway, you won't have to sneakily peer into our space, as you'll be joining us for happy hour, right?

Have a great time in Miami, and we'll see you soon!!

Oh cripes - let me hastily say that what all I meant was the possibility of the odd mildly covetous glance in the direction of that HUGE balcony!

(happy hour - now, that sounds interesting.....)

Oh cripes - let me hastily say that what all I meant was the possibility of the odd mildly covetous glance in the direction of that HUGE balcony!

(happy hour - now, that sounds interesting.....)

Happy hour on the balcony is an important part of the daily routine. We'll be in touch!!

Archived