Veterans Meeting

NJ Fred

Contrary to prior years, there was no scheduled Veterans meeting on my last =X= voyage. When I inquired of the CD he said it had been discontinued.

Upon my urging, he did schedule one. However, it was not advertised in the daily schedule nor announced over the PA. Rather, a sign was posted at the Purser's desk. This led to a rather pitiful turnout.

On last fall's TA aboard HAL's Noordam the Veterans meeting was conducted as a time-honored tradition. No less than 60 of we old warhorses participated.

Has =X= reprised the Veterans meetings onboard their ships?

I think Celebrity is experiencing political correctness run amok. They stopped advertising a lot of special interest group meetings, due to a complaint from maybe one or a few individuals who didn't like seeing one group having "preference" over another. My opinion is, this is the same reason why X got rid of having priests on board. Someone complained that one religion was getting preference over others. So instead of showing some cajones, they just stop everything so as not to anger a very small number of cruisers.

Contrary to prior years, there was no scheduled Veterans meeting on my last =X= voyage. When I inquired of the CD he said it had been discontinued.

Upon my urging, he did schedule one. However, it was not advertised in the daily schedule nor announced over the PA. Rather, a sign was posted at the Purser's desk. This led to a rather pitiful turnout.

On last fall's TA aboard HAL's Noordam the Veterans meeting was conducted as a time-honored tradition. No less than 60 of we old warhorses participated.

Has =X= reprised the Veterans meetings onboard their ships?

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO NJ Fred: To discontinue veterans meetings is very bad. On my last Celebrity cruise it was so popular they had a second veteran meeting. I will complain if they don't have them anymore. They are fun events when us old warhorses could get together.

On recent B2B, the meetings for special interest groups were listed on a community bulletin board near the concierge desk. Unfortunately, the new policy was not explained in the daily until a number of days into the cruise. Rather than posting Friends of Bill, Dorothy, vets, bridge play, Rotary, services, etc in the daily, these are now on the board. X also encouraged anyone who had a request for any typeof group to discuss with concierge who would add it to this community board. The Vets met in the morning..want to add an evening cocktail meeting too? Just ask. The Eclipse daily was so full of activities open to all, I thought this was a good plan...but not if guests don't know about it :rolleyes: and don't know if this applies to every ship, but find the board,talk to concierge, and create your own group meetings to suit your needs. All for two vet meetings a day..

Rotary Scotty's words are all too true. But please, Brother, let us kick our heels and not get used to it.

Political corectness my sister's moustache! Were it not for women and men who served, =X= vessels could not sail the seven seas safely. Let us remember whom they called when that Carnival ship was dead in the water - and it sure wasn't the AAA.

This type of disrespect is just enough to turn me to HAL. Evidently, they have more respect for the loyalties of their core customer base than Celebrity.

Are you tuned in, Mr. Hanrahan?

NJ Fred

Lieutenant Colonel USAFR

PS: I have received five messages asking who the CD was that scheduled the Veterans meeting after I spoke up. I will not reveal the name of the vessel or the CD. Corporate reprisals are very real in todays bean-counter society. Political correctness? HUMBUG!

Edited by NJ Fred

Vets, they aren't disrespecting us, they are setting a rule that groups not directlty assocaited with the Cruise Line won't have their meetings listed. It has nothing to do with Political Correctness, and everything to do with people insisting their particular group get a meeting place and advertizing. As stated before, this has been a gripe of many groups who were use to listing their meetings in the Daily.

As to being forgotten?? Afraid that is what we use to say back 30-40years ago, but not now. Our current warriors are honored constantly so not sure what the gripe is, except we are faced with what every other group has been told.

Another Line? Go for it. And hope they aren't overwhelmed with meeting demands and do the same.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Den, I understand the thrust of what you wrote. Nonetheless, I will always remain firm in my belief that Veterans are not just another group.

Does that merit special consideration in such matters? Yes, I believe the sacrifices and hardships our men and women in uniform endured does.

Vets, they aren't disrespecting us, they are setting a rule that groups not directlty assocaited with the Cruise Line won't have their meetings listed. Den

Sorry to correct you...your statement is inaccurate. Are you familiar with, "Friends of Bill"? Are you familiar with "Friends of Dorothy"?

Two groups, have nothing to do with being directly associated with the Cruise Line (your statement), yet are scheduled and listed.

I have no problem with either the gay group or the lesbian group meeting on the ship. In fact I fully support their finding people of similar nature in an organized fashion. Just as I support SINGLES meeting, another group "not directly associated with the Cruise Line", yet "listed".

I'm simply pointing out the error in your statement.

I may not have been clear in an earlier post, but none of the groups limited to only a segment of guests were listed in the daily on the Eclipse. This may be a new company policy that is in transition, it may vary by ship, CD, or space in the daily, I don't know. But Friends of Bill (AA), Vets, religious services, singles were no longer in the daily, but were on a "community bulletin board". The problem was you had to know to look for it, next to concierge desk. This new approach; activities listed in the daily are open to all, while groups limited to members, e.g. Rotary, Vets, are listed elsewhere, seems fair and doesn't overfill the daily with small group meetings.

Thank you for your service, Janet, DW of a Vet.

I see no issue with listing the group meetings elsewhere, as long as there is a notation in the daily bulletin about where the listings are so people know where to find them.

I am a big supporter of the troups and veterans (have a son who is a Marine) and I am a member of OSOTIL (Operation Support our Troops Illinois). I am also old enough to have had friends and relatives who fought in Vietnam including some who did not return. All that said, I do not think it is necessarily the ship's responsibility to sponsor veterans parties. The ships are not US ships - they are all registered in foreign countries, and while on some cruises the majority of passengers are from the US that is not always the case and there are always a certain contingent of passengers from other countries. Perhaps they honored veterans of all countries? I am not familiar with what was happening. I think they should certainly allow the parties and should post them wherever they post other gatherings, but I am honestly not sure why anyone would expect the cruiseline to be 'patriotic'?

I think there should be a bulletin board up stairs at the entrance to the buffet. It would be much more visible. It was difficult to find and see on our last cruise on the Equinox. We had to check it for cruise critic events.

Following is the notice placed in Tuesday's daily..for a sailing which had left on Saturday. Poor timing of communication, it should be explained earlier and be more visible.

Social Gatherings

We are committed to making every guest feel welcomed onboard. For scheduled guest gatherings such as Friends of Dorothy, Friends of Bill W., Bridge Players, or to find worship services, please see the Community Board posted at Guest Relations, or call ext. 4320 for details. For more information on how to schedule your own guest gathering please contact Guest Relations.

Following is the notice placed in Tuesday's daily..for a sailing which had left on Saturday. Poor timing of communication, it should be explained earlier and be more visible.

Social Gatherings

We are committed to making every guest feel welcomed onboard. For scheduled guest gatherings such as Friends of Dorothy, Friends of Bill W., Bridge Players, or to find worship services, please see the Community Board posted at Guest Relations, or call ext. 4320 for details. For more information on how to schedule your own guest gathering please contact Guest Relations.

That statement should do the trick. Just print it daily, beginning day one.

Sorry to correct you...your statement is inaccurate. Are you familiar with, "Friends of Bill"? Are you familiar with "Friends of Dorothy"?

Two groups, have nothing to do with being directly associated with the Cruise Line (your statement), yet are scheduled and listed.

I have no problem with either the gay group or the lesbian group meeting on the ship. In fact I fully support their finding people of similar nature in an organized fashion. Just as I support SINGLES meeting, another group "not directly associated with the Cruise Line", yet "listed".

I'm simply pointing out the error in your statement.

Scotty, I may be 'wrong' in your experience of them being listed on the Daily for your cruise, but our last two X cruises, there were no notices...they did state all private groups' meetings were listed on the public board. And this is what someone else reported on an earlier post.

Not a biggie....just human nature to want everybody know that I'm not completedly wrong.....so there!

As to what is correct and should Vets get special treatment? My view is if the ship informs people that there is a publc board to post meetings, that should suffice. I'm not into the 'Vets deserve special consideration'. I'll take the discounts if they offer them, big time just as I would if they give my State a discount, but in this case, as soon as you list the Vets and not others because 'we' deserve it more, someone will inevitably point out that their religous meetings are 'more important' and so on....

Den

One funny.....remember the posts about when Celebrity would have the CruiseCritic meetings listed in the Daily, and people would show up so they could complain about that cruise? Won't have to worry as much about that one.

Den

...The ships are not US ships - they are all registered in foreign countries, and while on some cruises the majority of passengers are from the US that is not always the case and there are always a certain contingent of passengers from other countries....I think they should certainly allow the parties and should post them wherever they post other gatherings, but I am honestly not sure why anyone would expect the cruiseline to be 'patriotic'?

Well that's all true....oh, wait a minute. Perhaps I don't know my history. Exactly what part of the world HAS NOT BEEN PROTECTED BY VETERANS??:confused:

And how many cruise lines is it that don't depend on Americans as their primary customer base??:rolleyes:

How many cruise lines use English as their primary language? I wonder if it has anything to do with American influence??

I'm always amazed there are people who, when told 1 plus 1 is 2, will respond, "not necessarily".

• 4 years later...

We were surprised that our recent Celebrity transatlantic cruise did not include a scheduled meeting for Veterans. Military veterans represent a large percentage of the passenger profile on many cruises, especially those of longer duration or several days at sea. I set a meeting up myself with Passenger Relations, and considering that the ship refused to announce it in the daily ship’s flyer, we had a very good turnout. They did go ahead and post a small card on the bulletin board outside guest relations, but few people visit the board.

Prior to any cruise, we recommend veterans ask their cruise companies if a veterans meeting is scheduled, and if one is not scheduled, ask for such a meeting. If the company refuses, or does not clearly agree to set one up, then set one up yourself at the first opportunity onboard. The meeting should be held early in the cruise to allow veterans’ comradeship to continue the remainder of the cruise. Then publicize the meeting via the Cruise Critic Rollcall for your voyage.

I have attended such veterans meetings onboard most of our cruises, and they have always been very meaningful to the attendees. The ships staff seem to appreciate veterans’ service, contributions and sacrifices to our country and the world, and are usually glad to support such a meeting.

Friends of Bill were listed on the dailies last week and has been posted on all my cruises. I believe that is done because it is a medical issue. The other groups are affinity groups, same as Cruise Critic meeting is not on daily. Just explaining Celebrity's position at the time, not judging.

Hey Guys, we all were in the military about 50 years ago. Why rehash old stories from that long ago? Let it go and enjoy your wonderful cruise. Great shows, very good food, good tours, Martini Bar, and good looking babes on the beaches. Can't we go for a couple of weeks without having war memories from 50 years ago?

Edited by Sandtrap328

Hey Guys, we all were in the military about 50 years ago. Why rehash old stories from that long ago? Let it go and enjoy your wonderful cruise. Great shows, very good food, good tours, Martini Bar, and good looking babes on the beaches. Can't we go for a couple of weeks without having war memories from 50 years ago?

Excuse me, but military veterans are not only from WW II or Korea, or Vietnam. There are lots of vets from Desert Shield, Desert Storm and vets from Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't belittle any vet and what they've given for your right to cruise and other freedoms.

BTW, someone dug up this thread from 2011.

Edited by cruisead

Hey Guys, Let it go and enjoy your wonderful cruise. Great shows, good food, good tours, Martini Bar, and good looking babes. Can't we go for a couple of weeks without having war memories?

If that is what you wish, please feel free to do so. I don't believe attendance is mandatory.

Please allow those of us who wish to remember WHY you can, to do so as well.

Does that merit special consideration? Yes, I believe the sacrifices and hardships our men and women in uniform endured does.

Fred, being another Fred, and a retired Navy guy myself, I mean no disrespect, but please guard against an attitude of entitlement. ;)

Respect, honor and gratitude must be freely given... they are less than worthless when mandated.

Edited by teecee60