Cruise ship salaries

I don't know how much a cruise captain makes, but I bet it will be more than an airline pilot. After all, there are far fewer cruise ships than planes, so captains are a much rarer breed. Plus these people are in charge of thousands of live at any given time, and they are on the ship almost 24/7 while pilots are limited by FAA rules to 8 hours per day on average if I remember correctly.

On one episode of Samantha Brown, I remember it mentioned a head cabin attendant makes about $2,000.00 per month on RCCL. Not sure if that figure is net or gross, or if it counts only basepay or includes additional tips. I remember thinking to myself that is not a bad salary (when I first started working, my take home pay after all witholdings ia about $2,000.00) and would probably afford a pretty decent lifestyle in Phillipine and indonesia where a large number of the cabin attendants came from.

t's been two year ago now, but one of the ladies at our table on the Valor asked our waiter what the made a month. The waiter, Atila, as he said, like the Hun, he was from Hungary and told her he made with tips about $3,000 a month.

tell me is that'GEORGE THE GREEK', he was always our favorite, he used to sit with us and sing (the old greek island songs with my husband). we're greek too, love that man:)

Yes it is George

He spends time in Greece and tarpon springs fl

Good guy. Still singing !

I can't believe the Captains are getting paid too much because there are no Americans (that I've heard of) as Captains.

There are some descriptions of the cruise ship blogs with this fellow's blog: Crew Member Blog

There are some great comments about working on board and the jobs, but nothing as "specific" as 50k-120k!

The wages do not seem good at all. You are away from friends and family for months. You basically never leave your work. Even if you were at your top end of $2000 for a steward including tips, I know waitresses at Applebees that make more than that.

You need to remember that is in addition to room and board and they do not have to pay income tax or SS, so that figure is NET to them. When you add room and board it is woth about $3500 per month, not bad for a house keeper.

The wages do not seem good at all. You are away from friends and family for months. You basically never leave your work. Even if you were at your top end of $2000 for a steward including tips, I know waitresses at Applebees that make more than that.

and this paragraph basically describes the military as well.

You need to remember that is in addition to room and board and they do not have to pay income tax or SS, so that figure is NET to them. When you add room and board it is woth about $3500 per month, not bad for a house keeper.

Yeah I guess, just my opinion that it seems low for basically working everyday and sharing very small quarters. IMO. Like work in many countries would be paid much much higher

• 6 years later...

I used to be a cruise director for a Carnival Corp. line. I made $150/day ($4500/month) + money from Bingo sales, usually about $300/week. I lived with my parents between contracts so I banked it all for 10 years.

How many hours do they work though? I'd say at least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I used to be a cruise director for a Carnival Corp. line. I made $150/day ($4500/month) + money from Bingo sales, usually about $300/week. I lived with my parents between contracts so I banked it all for 10 years.

1st post, joined 16+ years ago. That's the definition of a lurker! I'm impressed you remembered your login info!

Thanks for sharing. I am sure the total consideration is much more today.

I've posted that last Fall our son got his first cruise ship job ever with Carnival. He's the NKOTB in Entertainment Staff. No, it's not the best paying job in the world. But, he knew that going in. Yes, you can work up to 16 hours a day. So, if you add it all up, it's not much in dollars per hour .

He's home waiting for his next Contract. It's a longer wait than usual because he wanted to work on a 7 day cruise, instead of the shorter "Booze Cruise". He's got a job till then, finds it slow paced and boring. He eats his meals here at home really quickly too! He is looking forward to getting back on the ship. :D:D

I saw the persons post about 12 hour days. Our son just took a nap when he found he had the time. As I mentioned, he ate his meals quickly,rested, showered and went back to work. He was usually "off" by Midnight. That was of course his 'bedtime'. Or later if he stayed up for free time with his friends (co-workers).

Of course, he also could get off the ship in Port, unless it was his turn at Host of the Day ( the entire length of the cruise). Which mean that cruise you stayed on the ship, to do activities for the guests who didn't want to get off at the Port.

Edited by Markmom18

I've posted that last Fall our son got his first cruise ship job ever with Carnival. He's the NKOTB in Entertainment Staff. No, it's not the best paying job in the world. But, he knew that going in. Yes, you can work up to 16 hours a day. So, if you add it all up, it's not much in dollars per hour .

He's home waiting for his next Contract. It's a longer wait than usual because he wanted to work on a 7 day cruise, instead of the shorter "Booze Cruise". He's got a job till then, finds it slow paced and boring. He eats his meals here at home really quickly too! He is looking forward to getting back on the ship. :D:D

I saw the persons post about 12 hour days. Our son just took a nap when he found he had the time. As I mentioned, he ate his meals quickly,rested, showered and went back to work. He was usually "off" by Midnight. That was of course his 'bedtime'. Or later if he stayed up for free time with his friends (co-workers).

Of course, he also could get off the ship in Port, unless it was his turn at Host of the Day ( the entire length of the cruise). Which mean that cruise you stayed on the ship, to do activities for the guests who didn't want to get off at the Port.

What is NKOTB? Guessing it is a social host but letters indicate something else

Well, if that's the case, Airline Captains do make more money than Cruise Ship Captains. Just taking a snapshot from Delta, the lowest paid captain in their fleet (1st year DC-9) is making $144,000/year, and the top paid captain in their fleet (12th year 747) is making $217,000/year. Even an Airline Captain at a low cost carrier like Jet Blue will top off at $159,000/year.

Surprisingly, the highest paid Airline Captains don't carry passengers, they carry BOXES. FedEx Captains top off at $247,000/year!

That's because BOXES are more profitable than people!

I just did a mock quote on FedEx and it would cost $1700 to ship me to Miami. A one way flight on Air Canada would cost only $188. :eek:

And FedEx doesn't even serve crappy coffee to its 'passengers'.

:)

1. It is extremely rude to ask a person how much they make.

2. Working on a cruise ship is a choice. Passengers should not feel sorry.

3. Employees work on a contract, and between contracts they are home.

4. Salaries, and pay packages are not a person's business other than the person getting it.

5. Pay on a ship, is not based on a waitress at Applebee's living in the USA. $2000.00 for a waitress a month, living in a city, is not the same as a person on a ship, from another country. What we consider low, might be extremely high.

6. Feeling sorry for being away from family and friends? Why? Many people work away from their homes. Many occupations require being away. But it is a choice. If a person decides after the first contract, they are not happy, than they do not need to come back. Again, it's about choices and not our opinions. It's their life, and our cruise.

Let's all remember, that they make the choice, to serve the paying passenger and we make the choice to enjoy the trip.

1. It is extremely rude to ask a person how much they make.

2. Working on a cruise ship is a choice. Passengers should not feel sorry.

3. Employees work on a contract, and between contracts they are home.

4. Salaries, and pay packages are not a person's business other than the person getting it.

5. Pay on a ship, is not based on a waitress at Applebee's living in the USA. $2000.00 for a waitress a month, living in a city, is not the same as a person on a ship, from another country. What we consider low, might be extremely high.

6. Feeling sorry for being away from family and friends? Why? Many people work away from their homes. Many occupations require being away. But it is a choice. If a person decides after the first contract, they are not happy, than they do not need to come back. Again, it's about choices and not our opinions. It's their life, and our cruise.

Let's all remember, that they make the choice, to serve the paying passenger and we make the choice to enjoy the trip.

Agreed. Everyone on the ship is making a choice to work there. Carnival does not deal in the slave trade. $10 an hour is worth a lot more in Kentucky than it is New York, so salary is relative. $2500 a month to a New Yorker is barely enough to afford a small studio apartment, let alone utilities for it and food. $2500 a month in Kentucky is enough to afford a decent living. In the Philippines or Eastern Europe, $2500 a month is enough to move the steward and their entire family up the socioeconomic ladder. All the staff I've spoken with have expressed gratitude to Carnival for providing them an opportunity like theirs, and gratitude that we (the passengers) choose to travel with them, give them a good living, and give them tips where applicable.

We just returned from a week on the MAGIC and did the Behind the Fun tour.

A few things discussed....

1. most of the employees are there because there are zero jobs in their home countries or the wages are too low to support them.

2. ship employees pay zero taxes, unless they are US or Canadian citizens, so paycheck is 100% profit.

3. ship employees have zero expenses other than personal hygene items like toothpaste, makeup, deod, etc.

4. ship employees have a personel director who help them set up their goals for their contract (6 month, 8 month, 9 month max). They receive 1 week vacation for each month they are working. So a 6 month contract means 6 weeks vacation.

5. many of the employees are working on a cruise ship in order to pay for their children to attend college in US, or to buy a home back in their country. Some are planning to open a business when home, so they are able to take classes onboard to help them learn how to be a business owner, etc.

6. ship employees mostly work 7 days a week, 10 hour shifts. Some departments are able to give days off or half days off at port...all depends where they work and how schedules can be arranged.

7. after 10 years with Carnival, every employee is given a serverance package. Some take it and leave, many stay to keep accruing.

Lots more....but off the top of my head, these are interesting facts.

1. most of the employees are there because there are zero jobs in their home countries or the wages are too low to support them.

2. ship employees pay zero taxes, unless they are US or Canadian citizens, so paycheck is 100% profit.

3. ship employees have zero expenses other than personal hygene items like toothpaste, makeup, deod, etc.

4. ship employees have a personel director who help them set up their goals for their contract (6 month, 8 month, 9 month max). They receive 1 week vacation for each month they are working. So a 6 month contract means 6 weeks vacation.

5. many of the employees are working on a cruise ship in order to pay for their children to attend college in US, or to buy a home back in their country. Some are planning to open a business when home, so they are able to take classes onboard to help them learn how to be a business owner, etc.

6. ship employees mostly work 7 days a week, 10 hour shifts. Some departments are able to give days off or half days off at port...all depends where they work and how schedules can be arranged.

7. after 10 years with Carnival, every employee is given a serverance package. Some take it and leave, many stay to keep accruing.

Agree with all but vacation is without pay so not sure it is really a vacation.

Not true. The crew pay the taxes in their home country, and while this can be less than the US, they are still paying taxes. Also, for example, in the Philippines, anything received from the employer, whether it is marked as wage, salary, tips, gratuity, or whatever, is taxable.

This is true for the crewmember onboard, but remember, most have a family at home that are eating and living in a house or apartment requiring expenses there.

Unpaid vacation.

I would be very surprised if the majority of crew worked only 10 hours a day. In most cases, they are required to have 10 hours of rest per day, and will work 12-14 hours per day.

See my comments in red above.