Floating mall/monster of the seas

anyone else out there fed up when others describe rci ships as a floating mall? or Oasis---the monster of the seas or i don't want to cruise with shrek? so silly my 02 cents

We love the Royal Promenade on the voyage and freedom classes so I am sure we will love the one on Oasis also. As chef_christoph so humerously pointed out, it's definitely not like any mall we've ever been to. As for Shrek, the jury is still out. :p Although I do like donkey.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtOEaRThCPuKv-zUH2P4KJO1e0BJD6WgcytgJt_5jRzP-0LJ_O

The thought of dodging 6,000 people, signing up in advance for

shows and the monster expen$e of a 7 day cruise on either one

of the Monsters of the Seas has [i think] made many people steer away

from them.

We're now booking Liberty of the Seas (Navigators replacement in FLL)

for a BTB in early 2012...instead of Oasis/Allure because we can sail

10 days LOS for the price of 7 days OOS/AOS.

Never say, "Never", but for us Oasis/Allure is on the back burner.

:cool::cool:

Funny, but I have that Never say "Never" tag line in my signature for my upcoming Oasis cruise.

Not sure if we will like Oasis (did not care for Independence but that was more because of the crew and food on its first 6-day US sailing) but found this the perfect opportunity to give the Oasis a try.

We can only sail when grandson's school is out so we are used to paying a premium. Balcony prices for our May 28th western caribbean cruise are LESS than the same cruise May 29th on Freedom and have been ever since I booked it - particularly for the 3rd person.

I actually enjoyed making entertainment reservations in advance of this upcoming cruise. At least this way you can plan your evenings and know you can get into the shows you want to see.

As for monster expense, well that can be on any cruise. While we do anticipate eating once at Chops and Giovannis, there are plenty of free food venues on Oasis.

It is the 6000 people that allow Oasis and Allure to offer the expanded entertainment and venues on these ships. Simple fact is the smaller the ship and number of passengers, the smaller the entertainment and venues. So you still get crowding because there are fewer places to go.

Will we like Oasis? Who knows. But, luckily, there are a lot of ships out there and we've got a lot of cruising years left. :D

I think it is very important that we do not like the same ship or else it is going to get very crowded and expensive. Everyone cruises at their own comfort level. I'm hitting the Oasis this July and have read the reviews, watched it dock in Port Everglades on the web cam and it is truly enormous, but I'm still looking forward to it. I mean a zip line on a cruise ship, really, sign me up.

My cruising goal is to try them all on and then report back. Just don't wait for that report, it is going to take a while.:cool:

Not sure why people complain about the "mall down the center of the ship". I mean, I like Princess, but really, that 3 story atrium is the same thing, just stacked on top of each other. You get your jewelry store, duty free store, t-shirt store and perfume store, a couple of bars, a place to get some food, and a place where the captain does his welcome speech from. I think all that works better on one deck. This is based on my first experience on the Navigator. I'll reserve judgement on the Oasis until I actually sail it.

>>>Crowds....I have read that crowds were not a big problem.

>>>As far as expense...booking off season is the way to get

best prices across the board.

Be interested to read all your first time monster Oasis/Allure reviews.

I read somewhere that the Allure is the biggest man-made structure

to move across the face of the earth....so 'monster' is not out of line.

Oasis does fill up Lake Mabel and the Inlet at Port Everglades.

OASISleavesPortEverglades2.jpg

I like the Royal Promenade, it a cool place and worthy of the praise it gets. But it does in fact bear a passing resemblance to a mall. Shops/eateries on both sides, big open airy space; I can see why some would say that. What I can't see is why it would be stated as a negative. :confused: There are still tons of venues where one can go to see the ocean around them. IMO the Viking Crown Lounges have some of the best vistas at sea.

As far as Shrek goes, I don't want to cruise with him either!:D Like someone else stated, leave the tacky animated characters to Orlando. They do it better anyway. But I'm pretty biased, I dislike anything that attracts kids to a ship. My wife and I cruise off season mostly for the fares, but also for the lower kid numbers. We are happy childfree DINKS, and derive no pleasure being around noisy obnoxious kids. Being nearly devoid of kids was a big bonus with Celebrity, and why we'll be cruising with them more. Actually, being in our 20s on Celebrity we were the kids. :p

The Royal Promenade is genius to me. The deck that has no views, the life boats would block any view if there were windows. RCI could pack another 100-200 interior and obstructed view cabins there if they wanted. . . . open and airy venue to house shops, cafes, guest services and hold the parades. During inclement weather it is a huge venue that allows the passengers to stay out of the rain and wind.

It also gives us PR cabins, "Insides" with a view :)

That's a great way to look at it!

I went to my local mall and stripped down to my swim trunks and got in the wading pool...security wasn't impressed because apparently they don't appreciate people frolicking in the fountain.

I ate at the food court and took food from every concession without paying...Me and my freshly wet swim trunks had to make a hasty retreat because apparently they expect you to pay for you food there...go figure.

I went into the nicest restaurant and the wait staff just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for several main courses and then they actually expected me to pay...the nerve.

I got kicked out of the movie theatre multiplex because apparently shows are not included in the admission to the mall...

I finally went to bed and was rudely awoken because apparently the beds in the department store are for display purposes only...

Nope, I can't say the mall is anything at all like the pleasure of being on one of RCI's ships. Anyone who says otherwise is unfortunately misguided.

LOL Cheeky Boy xx

I went to my local mall and stripped down to my swim trunks and got in the wading pool...security wasn't impressed because apparently they don't appreciate people frolicking in the fountain.

I ate at the food court and took food from every concession without paying...Me and my freshly wet swim trunks had to make a hasty retreat because apparently they expect you to pay for you food there...go figure.

I went into the nicest restaurant and the wait staff just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for several main courses and then they actually expected me to pay...the nerve.

I got kicked out of the movie theatre multiplex because apparently shows are not included in the admission to the mall...

I finally went to bed and was rudely awoken because apparently the beds in the department store are for display purposes only...

Nope, I can't say the mall is anything at all like the pleasure of being on one of RCI's ships. Anyone who says otherwise is unfortunately misguided.

Well thought out essay. I would give you an A if I were your English teacher. But I had to stop teaching because I did not get a raise in 5 years and I had to start paying for some of my benefits.

You missed:

I went to my local mall and upon entering I had to pay $$$ to get in.:rolleyes:

>>>Crowds....I have read that crowds were not a big problem.

>>>As far as expense...booking off season is the way to get

best prices across the board.

Be interested to read all your first time monster Oasis/Allure reviews.

I read somewhere that the Allure is the biggest man-made structure

to move across the face of the earth....so 'monster' is not out of line.

Oasis does fill up Lake Mabel and the Inlet at Port Everglades.

OASISleavesPortEverglades2.jpg

I LOVE this picture! :D

There may also be a langauge issue. In American (and increasingly other) English useage, "mall" is taken to mean "shopping mall". Originally a mall was simply a shaded area for walking or strolling, or a promenade, so certain classes of RCI ship do in fact have "floating malls".

Not a good thing or a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, just a thing, and certainly not one I'm going to get "fed up" about. :)

We sailed Oasis a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it! Sailing Explorer today and I'm afraid it is going to seem small! Never felt crowded as there are so many venues. Staff were top notch. Definitely will book Oasis or Allure again.

If you do not like Oasis or what it stands for then simply do not sail on it or the Allure! as to what people call it, what does it matter ? we loved the Monster of the seas and will continue to call it that along with many others ... after all it is a Behemoth! :D

Just because RCI puts all their shops on one level, as opposed to the same number of shops spread across 2 or 3 levels of an atrium on other cruise lines, doesn't make it a mall.

As is always the case, when someone has no interest in a particular ship, cruise line, etc, they have to make up things like this to justify their decision to others. Their loss. Oasis Class is amazing.

i probably would get upset if my house was called the dump of the street, the scurge of the neighborhood, or my children call the terrors of the road, but i don't think i would worry much about what people called a ship, a cruiseline, a hotel chain, or even a restaurant chain.

anyone else out there fed up when others describe rci ships as a floating mall? or Oasis---the monster of the seas or i don't want to cruise with shrek? so silly my 02 cents

Not really, truth is sometimes a bitter pill to swallow.

I tend to get fed up with RCI's new web site.

There may also be a langauge issue. In American (and increasingly other) English useage, "mall" is taken to mean "shopping mall". Originally a mall was simply a shaded area for walking or strolling, or a promenade, so certain classes of RCI ship do in fact have "floating malls".

Also never seen a palace at the end of the one on the ship either ;)

It looks like many people must like cruising on the Allure/Oasis ships. It is very evident by the prices of the cruises. Supply and Demand. Eventually, the pricing will come down on these ships. Right now, they are very popular. I enjoy the Royal Promenade on the ships. They are not for everyone. I also like the smaller ships. Everyone has their opinion as to what they like.

Not sure why people complain about the "mall down the center of the ship". I mean, I like Princess, but really, that 3 story atrium is the same thing, just stacked on top of each other. You get your jewelry store, duty free store, t-shirt store and perfume store, a couple of bars, a place to get some food, and a place where the captain does his welcome speech from. I think all that works better on one deck. This is based on my first experience on the Navigator. I'll reserve judgement on the Oasis until I actually sail it.

We have sailed the Crown Princess, and, just recently, the Freedom of the Seas; having seen the Promenade, I must admit that I prefer the 3 story atrium. As I recall, the Princess ship had more exterior views, and easier access to outside decks -- you actually felt like you were on a ship, no matter where your location.

I can't understand why a cruise line would go to the trouble of building a high capacity ocean-going vessel, then make every effort to corral its passengers indoors. Most of the time I felt like I was in a huge, slowly-moving apartment block.

I'm not knocking RCI, or its crew, or its offerings -- all were excellent. It's just that, to me, there seems to have been a revolution in cruising -- more glitz, lots of one-upmanship, and less ocean. If cruise lines can attract more business by evolving in that direction, then more power to them. I can't help but wonder, though, how long it will be before they build themselves right out of the market...

I think it depends on the number of sea days u have

If you have only one sea in seven I probably will not be spending anytime on the ship so who cares what it has

If you have 3 -4 sea days I will want things to do on the ship

Also I wonder if it depends on if you live in big city or not

I use live in Toronto pop of over 2 mill now live in town of 18,000 every time I head back to Toronto it just seems to busy.

If your not use to a lot people it can be over whelming

Archived