LADIES: How many pairs of shoes are you taking on your cruise?

OK then....next cruise is Rio to San Francisco, Feb/March next year so need

sandals for the warm bits,

covered leather walking shoes for the cold and/or wet penguin pooeybits,

dance shoes (also hope to get a pair of tango shoes in Buenas Aires),

beach shoes,

evening smart shoes...and finally

flip flop type things for lounging around the ship in the day time

Sandy in Spain

Soooo glad I am not alone on this one! I take a minimum of 10 or more shoes (and that has always been for 7 night cruises). This summer we are doing 12 day Venice cruise and I have bought at least 4 - 5 new pairs of shoes just for walking all day in. I love heals and hate to look like a tourist, no tennies or flip flops for me except on the pool deck and gym on the ship. I also bring about 4 or more 4+" heals just for evening/dinner :p. My hubby is 6/3" and I am 5'6" so I love to wear high, high heals. I make everyone in the family take on at least 1-2 pairs of my shoes in their suit case, so I can spread the weight around.

My fav brands for "walking" shoes are Aerosoles and b.o.c. by Born....they have gotten better with their styles over the years and offer hip/cute shoes that are amazingly comfortable and won't break the bank!

Our next cruise is a 5 day and I will bring 2 pairs of heels for everyday and a standard pair of converse or flip flops just in case I break a toe and commit shoeicide. I am such a platform stiletto girl that I need one stiletto/wedge for the daytime and one stiletto for the evening. Yes, I also wear heels at the pool too... I have to because my husband is tall 6'4'' and I'm only 5'6'', so that's my excuse! Plus I won't be going in the water at the pools, just laying out, so I don't have to worry about messing my heels up with wet feet. :p

Alaska (14 day itinerary on HAL Amsterdam) - will wear flipflops on the flight from PA to Seattle. Will take a pair of sneakers, a pair of waterproof hikers for excursions, and will take one pair of black flats/kitten heels to wear on board. Gone are the days of packing a different pair of shoes for a different outfit. Plus, for Alaska, just not necessary!

I love this thread. I leave for a 4 night cruise in about a week and haven't really thought about what shoes to bring. But, since you asked I have an excuse to think about it now..

1-2 casual flip flops for day/pool/beach (they don't count)

1 pair pink/nude patent pumps for nice dinners since they match everything

1-2 dressier flip flops for when the pumps start getting to my feet

2 pairs of wedges for casual dinner, brown and black? maybe a pink... and a tan pair...

1 pair sneakers, just in case.

Shoes are the hardiest thing to pack!

5 pairs normally but I may carry 6 if I wanna work out.

2 pairs of dressy sandals for dinner.

1 pair of heels in case I wanna dress up.

2 pairs of either slides/flip flops/casual sandals for wearing around the ship.

1 pair of tennis shoes in case I wanna work out (which I normally don't)

I guess I am in the minority here ... I only take 3 pairs ... one dressy black sandal, one black walking sandal and one pair of Mary Jane Crocs. No sneakers (I hate them with a passion). Same with the rest of our vacations to warmer climates.

• 2 months later...

wowww i don't feel as bad now for the amount of shoes i bring on cruises! i just started packing for my next cruise and heres what my shoe-list is so far

7 pairs high heels - 7 day cruise

4 pairs of flip flops

3 pairs of dressy sandals

1 pair of sneaker

15 pairs so far!

Took 17 pair on a one week cruise. Figured that meant 34 pair for my next cruise which is two weeks. DH said no way. Right now I am packing 12 pair and 5 pair tennis shoes. This may go up or down depending on how they fit into the luggage. I store them in a clear shoe container that slides under the bed. Obviously, I am not flying or this would be out of the question. Not so much vanity as a search for comfort, but still looks good.

Took 17 pair on a one week cruise.

:eek: I don't own 17 pairs of shoes. I think I'm the only woman who's DH actually tells to buy more shoes. Darn my flat wide feet that blister easy.

His sister drove me crazy when we cruised with her. She brought too many outfits, colour co-ordinated them all to blue/green/white and still brought shoes for every outfit. Then I ended up pulling her large maximum weight suitcase for her when she couldn't keep up with us.

For Alaska I took,

1 pair running shoes

1 pair walking shoes

1 pair casual dinner shoes

1 pair heeled shoes

For Caribbean I take,

1 pair walking sandles

1 pair one soles sandels with 4 toppers for casual nights

1 pair heeled shoes

1 pair water shoes

It varies depending upon where the cruise is going.

For my upcoming 45 day cruise to Europe followed by a few days in FL and Christmas at in-laws before going back home (unless it changes when I pack):

One sole shoes with various tops to wear on non-formal evenings

Black pumps for formal evenings

Casual flip flops

Short hiker for working out, walking, hiking

Brown casual shoes

Black casual shoes

1 pair black strappy dress heels

1 pair dark silver dress heels

Navy peep toe pumps

Navy flat 'boat' shoes

Havainnas flip flops - gold

Nike cross trainers (very light) I wear them for the gym and for walking the deck

Black maryjane style Privo flats (great walking sole)

Neutral pump

In the 'maybe' pile

Orange trim Ecco maryjanes with walking sole for walking tours

Gold flats

Bronze Born penny loafers

Ok, just finishing packing for our upcoming trip, it's two weeks in Europe, I'm taking 5 pairs:

black Tom's (I'll wear these on the plane)

cream/orange ecco yarrah

gold ballet flats (they're a dark burnished metallic gold)

black rainbow sandals

Black strappy wedge heel sandals

Hmm, just decided to weigh them all, I;m taking 5.5 lbs of shoes, including the ones I'll be wearing.

Oh, & a pair of slippers, don't know if those count as shoes?

Ok, just finishing packing for our upcoming trip, it's two weeks in Europe, I'm taking 5 pairs:

black Tom's (I'll wear these on the plane)

cream/orange ecco yarrah

gold ballet flats (they're a dark burnished metallic gold)

black rainbow sandals

Black strappy wedge heel sandals

Hmm, just decided to weigh them all, I;m taking 5.5 lbs of shoes, including the ones I'll be wearing.

Oh, & a pair of slippers, don't know if those count as shoes?

The Ecco yarrah in cream orange is the pair I'll be taking too. I love 'em!

Do they not provide slippers on your ship? You might check as you may not need to take another pair.

I've been "trying" to plan around only a couple of pairs of shoes. However, I don't think it's gonna happen LOL!!

Just off the top of my head......

blingy silver birks (I think I could walk the globe in those!!)

birki pool/beach shoes

silver low heels

silver killer heels (bc they drive dh crazy ;) )

black pumps

black flats (just in case I find I can't walk well in heels while on board)

brown wedges

brown strappy heels

sneakers for the gym or walking on deck

I plan my cruise wardrobe from the shoes up. I can keep it to 5 pair that way.

Formal night heels, casual night heels, casual day (depends on weather) a pair of flip flops and my walking sneakers.

It's too late for people doing Alaska cruises this year, but for next year keep in mind you do not need 2 pair of sneakers in case one pair gets wet. We took this advice when we went (family of 4, 3 of us have big feet) and it wasted a whole bunch of packing space. Our shoes never got that wet, we just dried off the outside with a towel. You can also stuff washcloths into the shoe, or use a blow dryer for a few minutes.

If you're doing a Med cruise, make sure you take shoes you ca walk/stand in for hours, don't be so consumed by style or trying to "fit in" with the locals. Interesting about Europeans, from what I saw, it was quality over quantity. Carrying a camera and constantly looking up will mark IOU as a tourist no matter what you are wearing!

One pair of "walking shoes" that I wear on the plane, one pair of dance shoes (really important), which also serve for formal night, and one pair of sturdy sandals. That's it! I've never taken more than that, even on a 3-week cruise. DH takes even fewer. Over many years and many cruises we have reduced our packing to the minimum necessary. It makes traveling so much easier.

Well, I have packed away 3 pairs of shoes: black dress sandals, black casual sandals and a pair of pink Mary Jane Crocs. I will wear my dreaded sneakers on board. We are driving down and I find sneakers work best for me on the 2 day drive. Otherwise, I hate sneakers. I am sure my Crocs will get the most wear.

Archived