Will Regent become a two class cruise line?

DaveFr

Just had a thought--do you think this new system will mean an end to boarding around noon, for we steerage types?

Wendy,

Here's the official Oceania policy on boarding times from their FAQ's:

Q: When can I board?

A: Guests are required to be onboard the vessel at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure time. Early boarding is available to guests booked in Concierge and above staterooms. Guests sailing onboard Regatta, Insignia and Nautica: Concierge and above staterooms - 11:00 AM; All other staterooms - 3:00 PM. Guests sailing onboard Marina and Riviera: Oceania, Vista and Owner's Suites - 11:00 AM; Penthouse Suites - 12:00 PM; Concierge Verandas - 1:00 PM; All other staterooms - 3:00 PM. A lunch buffet is served from 11:30AM to 5:00PM.

So if Regent's policy on boarding times is similar to Oceania's policy, noon boarding is out for steerage passengers. However, from what I've read, the correct answer to your question is that you may or may not be able to board at noon. Sometimes, Oceania allows non-concierge and above passengers to board early and other times, such as our one Oceania cruise, Oceania doesn't allow them to board early. I suppose the best answer to your question is that you may be able to board early but you shouldn't count on it.

Dave

Oh, that's horrible. Way to go, Oceania!

Actually, given Oceania's advance reservation policy, not allowing priority reservations to include non-priority reservation passengers is correct from a fairness standpoint. Otherwise, you'd be dividing the passengers into three instead of two groups: those with priority reservation access, those non-priority reservation passengers who know someone with priority reservation access, and everyone else.

Dave

Good idea but if Regent models it's priority reservation system on Oceania's system, your idea won't work. Oceania doesn't allow passengers with access to priority reservations to include non-priority reservation passengers in their advance reservations. See: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327205&highlight=specialty.

Dave

Dave,

I'm speechless (rare for me). It keeps getting worse!

TC2

Edited to say that I just recovered my voice. . . . . just wanted to add . . . another nail in Regent's coffin!

I completely understand (and agree with) the fact that there shouldn't be "classes" on a ship or anywhere else for that matter. But I definitely got the feeling on my Mariner cruise in January that there was some distinction between cabin categories by the other passengers, simply by virtue of their location. We had booked a PH A category, because it was literally the last cabin on the ship, and friends of ours really wanted us to go with them. Since the A cabins are on Deck 11 on the Mariner, they are on the same deck as the pool, grill, and La Veranda. I cannot count the number of times we would get off the elevator and head towards our cabin up front, and other people on the elevator who were going to the pool area would make some comment like, "Oh, aren't you special, you're way up here on Deck 11." One woman even said, "Oh, let me bow to you"...and then proceeded to do so (she was joking, but still...!). I cannot even begin to describe how uncomfortable I was, and I even started just taking the stairs (even if it meant going up four flights) to avoid the elevators. WE were not making a big deal of having a higher category cabin, but some of the other passengers sure were (and I felt terribly, terribly guilty every time someone said something. Why, I have no idea, but it was there, nonetheless). I know it is not the same as "class distinction" but I still feel that there was a type of distinction based on cabin, even if it wasn't overt (why would anyone feel it is appropriate to comment on another passenger's cabin category???). I hope this new program of Regent's doesn't add to that, but in a way, at least based on that cruise, I think some distinction is already there.

And no, I had no idea Regent offered military discounts...I will have to check with my TA on that one, as she never mentioned it.

The only time I was ever aware of cabin elitism was onboard a Princess cruise and one of our tablemates proudly proclaimed to us how she so enjoyed being upgraded to a high-end suite. She then proceeded to hold her fork in a fist-like manner (which is just gross) while pumping/carving away with her other hand and eating with her mouth open. 'nough said. ;)

When you pay for a superior suite; enjoy! For folks to 'bow' to you - leaves me speechless. :rolleyes:

I do not think this just affects long time Regent cruisers. I will be affected if I cannot get a good dinner reservation time or spa appointment. I really do not care about discounts and priority boarding.

As an O cruiser, I am accustomed to the differences. I am paying considerably more to cruise Regent and I booked based on the kudos to the "Regent experience" I have been reading about on these boards. I could have booked a Penthouse Suite (with butler and all the extras) on Riviera for less for their TA during the same time.

Apparently some people to going to have a better Regent experience than others-- this is an unexpected turn of events and warrants reconsideration of the booking.

I think I had better look outside to see if the sky is really falling.

I look at the poll that was instituted and think that if those few who are not satisfied with the impending changes could put Regent out of business, we are all in trouble.

I think I had better look outside to see if the sky is really falling.

I look at the poll that was instituted and think that if those few who are not satisfied with the impending changes could put Regent out of business, we are all in trouble.

No, the sky is not falling. . . . Regent will not be put out of business. They are following the model of other premium and mainstream cruiselines. As the only all-inclusive "premium" cruiseline, they should do quite well.

Laraine: Thank you for explaining your position. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the "Regent Experience" will look like an Oceania experience next year.

No, the sky is not falling. . . . Regent will not be put out of business. They are following the model of other premium and mainstream cruiselines. As the only all-inclusive "premium" cruiseline, they should do quite well.

Laraine: Thank you for explaining your position. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the "Regent Experience" will look like an Oceania experience next year.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but please understand the basic tenets of Business 101.

In order to remain in business and to do so you must make a profit, I'm sure Regent is fully cognizant of that and must roll with the times and with the masses in order to do so.

If that means losing a few people in the process in order to gain many more....that's what business is about.

It's too bad that this Regent board has postings and comments from only a handful of people. As a result, I don't think the whole picture is being painted.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but please understand the basic tenets of Business 101.

In order to remain in business and to do so you must make a profit, I'm sure Regent is fully cognizant of that and must roll with the times and with the masses in order to do so.

If that means losing a few people in the process in order to gain many more....that's what business is about.

It's too bad that this Regent board has postings and comments from only a handful of people. As a result, I don't think the whole picture is being painted.

According to Regent management, 2009 and 2010 have been the most successful years that Regent has had. They are definitely making a profit. Some of their itineraries are booked up a year in advance. We (the old timers on Regent) have seen a lot of change in the past two years. Change is inevitable. We also see price increases every 3 months and are not complaining about that. Making a certain level of people wait for dining reservations, IMO, does not affect Regent's bottom line at all.

Just because there are numerous links to this on Google, I cannot find one that comes directly from Regent. I do not think that this will come to pass until it does (according to rumor, in April, 2012). Things, on this board and others seem to get blown up way out of proportion and people become very emotional in discussing them.

There is another board that concentrates on RSSc, and there is not a word about the impending concierge class there.

"Coming Soon - Concierge Service

This spring, we will offer one more distinctive brand of personal service that is the hallmark of our six-star ships. Concierge Service in suite categories E and above (D and above, aboard Seven Seas Navigator), will feature a number of value-added amenities. More details will be announced shortly... stay tuned!" -

a direct quote from an email i received from Regent dated March 4

As regular Seabourn cruisers but who cruised with Regent for the first time last December/January, this will definitely make Regent a 2nd choice for us. We liked the Regent experience but it was comparable and not better than Seabourn. Any degradation in the Regent offer will reduce its attractiveness.

Roxburgh - it is not supposed to be a "degradation" in service but something additional...

Exactly. It's been stated elsewhere that the D & E categories are the last to be booked. That's because under the present system, they offer very little additional value for the additional cost. They're the exact same size as the lowest cost suite; the only real difference is location, and it's far from a safe bet that higher in the ship is better (except for those who like to look down on others). Frankly, most of the ones ones who choose them are newcomers or late bookers when there is nothing else left. Certainly that was the case with me when I booked my first Oceania cruise late and the only thing left on the entire ship were 2 concierge cabins. Even with the incentives, people still book either the lowest price or the top suites first.

In an attempt to provide something of value to incentivise people to book these suites and feel they got something for the extra fare, Regent is trying to provide that value. There's not much they can offer on an all-inclusive cruise line. I think they've done a pretty good job in the perks department with the rumored incentives, and anything they find doesn't work is easily modified after trial. But, think about it -- would you like it if your middle-priced suites were the ones that are left hanging? This is an attempt at a solution, and if you care about the cruise line, should be applauded, not pooh-poohed.

There is absolutely no value for Seven Seas Society members with 21 days or more on Regent. They get free internet, more phone time than the new "Concierge" is offering and many of us could care less about a discount on wines (unless included wine is also going away) or discounts on hotels -- especially now that one night pre-cruise is included. Yes -- they are repackaging. . . . and the result is that loyal Seven Seas Society members may receive less than they already have. My focus here in on dining reservations and boarding times.

Is there really a good reason for Regent to downgrade itself to the level of other "premium" cruise lines? Again, there is not one luxury cruise line with rules such as those being implemented next year. Seabourn and Silversea must be loving this!

We almost booked a Silverseas cruise a couple of years ago but were put off when we learned to get early boarding you had to pay $100 - TACKY! I understand they have dropped that rule.

I sure hope I don't have the same feeling with Regent's April 2012 changes.

I have a great deal of difficulty when reading this thread...How can otherwise intellegent people jump so quickly to conclusions that have no basis in fact ??...If Regent is so terribly wrong in their policies why is Crystal going to copy Regent in 2012 and go all inclusive?......Seabourn is making very deep discounts trying to get some of us back aboard....Silverseas is also discounting heavily and offering tremendous OBCs.(After 4 cruises with them we have sworn off them forever!)....I learned many years ago that I can save a great deal of energy and angst by waiting and then worrying as things happen...We totally enjoy cruising with Regent because of their all inclusive policies...One of the best aspects to Regent has been the passenger demographic...Not nearly as snobbish as Crystal, Silverseas and Seabourn...I will wait until the changes happen before giving them a second thought...I believe I owe that much to Mark Conroy and his management team for having made all of our cruises so enjoyable...From the days of ownership by the Carlson group through to now they have contiued to give us the best experiences at sea...We still go on other lines upon occasion when the itinarary is just right but so far we come back to Regent...Hurry up November 10.....:D

There is a certain Regent-bashing travel agent who used to frequent this board, who is absolutely gloating that Regent has now become a "premium" and not a "luxury" line.

This seems like a risky move for Regent. Most opinions in this thread are moderately to strongly negative, and I'm assuming most here are past customers and thus among the base clientele that drives a majority of Regent's revenue. Ticking us off is a strategy that would have to be based on a big potential payoff, and I don't see the economic fundamentals. How many people are going to book these concierge categories because of the perks and how much marginal incremental to Regent does that generate, versus losing a loyal customer who decides to finally take that Seabourn or Silversea cruise they have been thinking about, and never comes back?

That said, the only added amenities that have real potential to annoy other passengers, it seems to me, are the priority embarkation and specialty restaurant reservations. If Regent handles them skilfully, it may amount to nothing. Already the passengers in the top suites have these and other perks (although perhaps not advertised so blatantly), and it has never seemed to create a second-class citizen atmosphere.

Another problem with the structure of the perks is that only people new to Regent would think that there's much added value there. Once you've got the 21 nights, free Internet and phone time are the big deals. The tote bag even seems slightly insulting. A better offer, as others have suggested here, would include free Internet and some free laundry/dry cleaning, which seems more in keeping with "concierge" service than binoculars or a 25% discount on "premium" wines etc.

All in all, not a well-considered move.

I have a closet full of tote bags and I bought a nice pair of binoculars for a lot less than $1000.

I expect not to wait in line when I am paying a premium fare to board a ship. Particularly when i have paid them to fly me to the destination and I am on the same plane in the same airfare class as the other passengers going on the ship. And I expect after 125 nights that I am going to be able to have a spa or dining experience for $1000 plus a day when I want to have them. Am I spoiled? Yes. It's why I have sailed on this line above others.

As a member of the SSS those perks have been already earned. We had a special spa package (not free) that was taken away. We have been given a carrot of priority reservations for being loyal. Most of the Regent regulars I know sail in F, G and H cabins to go more frequently.

A friend of ours who has sailed with them as much as we have said to me last night and she does not read the boards - that she was going to Crystal and Seabourne if they instituted any change to her SSS benefits.

A number of passengers the last few years have had pod problems, canceled itineraries and other inconveniences like being bumped which should not occur, This just adds to that dissatisfaction. Things like no Grey Goose in the Voyager Lounge - that is not luxury.

I think perception has a lot to do with the situation. If people perceive that there is a difference between categories and that certain levels get more amenities than others it denigrates from the overall impression that Regent is a one class luxury line. Whether, in fact, there is any truth or reality to that is almost beside the point. Regent becomes too much like Oceania.

As for Crystal, they are not copying Regent. They are merely catching up with all the luxury lines, having realized that they need to go all inclusive in order to compete. If they were copying Regent they'd include expensive "free" excursions and hotel rooms.

Dear Mr. Horner:

I've sailed about 150 days on Regent. I usually book a G cabin although I've booked cabins on every deck except 10. I've become accustomed to being treated equally when I board a Regent ship regardless of the location of the cabin I occupy. That will change in 2012. If I book a G cabin I will be told to board the ship late and go for leftovers when it comes to spa and restaurant reservations. Do you really think I should be happy about that? I have friends who always book premium cabins who aren't happy about it. Do they have their heads screwed on the wrong way? I am delighted to see Regent add perks to premium cabins if Regent is paying for them. I might have no choice to book one of them. But a class system on board the ship? No way!

What makes it all seem so silly and ill-conceived is that the added perks and "enhancements" are so trivial. Virtually all, if not more, are available to an Elite Celebrity pax booking in that line's Concierge Class. If you're going to do something like this on an all-inlcusive luxe line, go big, with some really nifty perks.

On Mariner, we always book a Penthouse Suite because we like the larger cabin. On our first Navigator cruise, however, we booked a D suite. The seas were very rough on that trip and we were horribly seasick for most of the cruise (despite being experienced cruisers who had never been ill before). Since then, we always get a mid-ship E suite on Deck 6. We wouldn't book a D suite on Navigator even if they made them the cheapest suites on the ship. Once this new policy goes into effect (1) no more being able to board early and have lunch and (2) perhaps no longer being able to get Prime 7 or spa reservations since all the "elite" passengers will have taken them. Now, why would we want to continue with Regent? We're looking forward to trying Seabourn.

Archived