Master Chef Dinner and offensive boors

SAN415

... Please stop denigrating the MCD so badly. After all, for many of you it has been years since you have tried it, give it another chance. You might just be surprised:)

Joanie

Joanie,

I really don't think the MCD has even been going for that many years. We are pretty regular HAL cruisers, and only experienced it for the first time in Feb 2010, on Noordam.

We gave it a shot, and did not much care for it, so we have sought other places to eat since then (the second of the Noordam b2b in 2010, and both legs of our Ryndam 2011 b2b).

I did not wave my napkins or wear the toque at the one time we did attend. I did not realize that made me a boor. We applauded our waiters, and did not scowl, but we did not hoot and holler, either.

We choose to abstain from the MCD, and we let our waiters know in advance, and tip in advance. Sorry, but we will enjoy alternate venues on MCD night ... and I will not refrain from saying so on the HAL boards, or in my "live from" blogs.

(and yes, I voted "no" on the current poll thread).

Dave

My "for" vote was also missed.

I can appreciate that some people just don't like the MCD. I hope that they continue it for those of us who do enjoy it, and that those who don't just opt for another dining venue on that night.

But I do ask of you this one thing... Please stop denigrating the MCD so badly. After all, for many of you it has been years since you have tried it, give it another chance. You might just be surprised:)

And, I might add, there are many people who have yet to experience it, so, just as you hopefully wouldn't give away the ending of a book or movie, leave room for each person to be able to experience it for him/herself, just as you did.

Since we didn't have chef hats or toques on our last Maasdam Master Chef Dinner - March 16, perhaps they have discontinued them as a cost saving measure since many people wouldn't have put them on anyway even if they enjoy the Master Chef Dinner.

Since we didn't have chef hats or toques on our last Maasdam Master Chef Dinner - March 16, perhaps they have discontinued them as a cost saving measure since many people wouldn't have put them on anyway even if they enjoy the Master Chef Dinner.

And a lot of the hats are probably thrown in the trash. Since they have to sort trash for recyclables, they would have an idea of how many are discarded. Getting rid of trash is another expense to be considered.

My opinion on the MCD is similar to my opinion on driving to the top of Pikes Peak. I'm glad I did it once, but I can't imagine why anyone would do it for a second time. Perhaps Mark Twain's quote about high school could be paraphrased. "I'm glad I did it, because it was worth it, but also because I shall never have to do it again!"

My "for" vote was also missed.

I can appreciate that some people just don't like the MCD. I hope that they continue it for those of us who do enjoy it, and that those who don't just opt for another dining venue on that night.

Sorry, 14 to 10 against the MCD. The recent poll gives a better idea of the opinions on this board.

Sorry, 14 to 10 against the MCD. The recent poll gives a better idea of the opinions on this board.

Indeed. On this board, the poll ran pretty consistently at 75% against, and 25% for. The poll is a better indicator, because it does not require people to write in comments, so it will garner a wider range of respondents.

My Mother In law and I were on a cruise and she (and I) were looking forward to the master chefs dinner. Now I know many of us have been away from our parents for a long time so I guess some refresher courses are needed on how to conduct our self in public.

If you don't want to eat at the master chefs dinner, then Do Not eat there. Maybe eat in the buffet? Or order room service?

If you are going to eat at the master chefs dinner then mind your manners. This would mean if you have nothing nice to say then you should have nothing to say. That if you do not like the food just do not eat it. You do not need to let every one with in 50 feet know this. Do not insult the wait staff, or the entertainment they are trying to provide.

When you vent on here, I understand , its your opinion, and I actually like to read opinions of other people. And often a lively opinionated conversation is nice, in the right setting.

Being conceitedly assertive about your views on the faults of the dinner and the staff is just boorish and insensitive to the enjoyment the dinners at your table and others with in hearing distance want to receive from the evening. Your opinions at that time are unwelcome and unpleasant.

Good post.

Even if you think you have legitimate gripes, why try to spoil the experience for others?

Inexcusable.

Smooth sailing...

We have to weigh in against the MCD, the menu is limited and the staff have better things to do than act comedic. I am surprised that there is no concern about waving dirty napkins that have been in your mouth over your head. With all the precautions for infections this certainly is a great way to spread contamination. We always go to the pinnacle for the last evening to avoid this foolish charade.

We have to weigh in against the MCD, the menu is limited and the staff have better things to do than act comedic. I am surprised that there is no concern about waving dirty napkins that have been in your mouth over your head. With all the precautions for infections this certainly is a great way to spread contamination. We always go to the pinnacle for the last evening to avoid this foolish charade.

Incredibly, as I look at the faces of pax as staff perform the rituals, most seem to be enjoying themselves. We just feel embarrassed for all concerned - genuinely embarrassed.

Master Chef night is an alternate dining night for us as well.

By the way, love your name.:D

Smooth sailing

Instead of doing away with the MCD, they could just tone it down a bit.

Before we discovered HAL, we enjoyed a repositioning cruise on Costa. They had a 'last night of the cruise' dinner, which most of the passengers seemed to enjoy.

It's been several years, but my recollection is of a quick parade followed by the delivery of the paraded baked alaska. The passengers did not participate except to applaud.

No recognition of the end of a longer cruise seems to me almost as bad as overrecognition of it.

well said, but hal also needs to rethink this master chef dinner since it is a constant source of repeat passenger unhappiness, boycotts and acute and obvious embarrassment for the staff that is asked to put on this degrading and annoying bit of "entertainment".

Surely there must be more appealing final night gratitude options. Yes, let us complain here but if one is in attendance, please help make it work for those who do enjoy this. And it was fun the first time; but now a painful endurance hereafter.

How have other ships handled this last night dinner wrap-up. I'll take notes on our upcoming crystal symphony final night dinner.

hi--we just returned from our first trip and last cruise on the weterdam--holland/american------and you are right---the final dinner was rediculous------i felt sorry for the waiters--doing their pityful little dance--while swinging theier napkins over head-----at carinial we have 45 cruises----they sing --all on key--and dance sensiblely and even get the patrons up--now that is the final dinner--- so try carnival----there is music music all the time---and truly fun ship. Irene and john

Yet what's worse is how when one asks nearly anyone on the first days aboard ship "Which night is the MCD" It's extremely unlikely anyone will say for absolutely certain - almost as if they have been instructed to stall in order to artificially maintain numbers in the dining room that night by allowing the other venues to book up before they divulge "Oh, the MCD is the evening of (blank)..."

...and when you question of the Asst Maitre'd or a Dining Room Manager - the conversation often seems to follow along the lines of, "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I don't like the MCD and I want to make reservations to dine elsewhere."

"Really? Have you ever been to one?"

"Yes, and I didn't enjoy it."

"Really? Everyone else seems to like it"

"Well, I don't."

"What don't you like about it?"

"I don't like the menu and I don't like how the show interrupts dinner service"

"Really? Everyone else seems to like it."

:cool:

...then towards the end of the cruise, the same Maitre'd or a Dining Room Manager comes to the table towards the end of the meal and asks, "So, is everyone coming to the MCD tomorrow night?"

"No, my family and I are not"

"Oh, where will you be?"

"We're dining in Pinnacle"

"Don't you like the MCD?"

"No, we don't"

"Really? Everyone seems to like it."

:cool:

Were you on my recent cruise? Funny I didn't see you. Why didn't you come over to say "Hi"? You must have been there, as that's exactly how the conversation went.

On embarkation day we went to the Pinnacle to ask about the MCD, and to book reservations for that night. We were told there was to be no MCD on our cruise. Funny, as there was one the previous cruise. But, the last night was an overnight in port, so it was possible there would be no MCD.

Then, a couple of nights before the end of the cruise, all of a sudden one was scheduled for the last night. Fortunately, we were able to make reservations at the Pinnacle.

What you really have spot-on is the dialogue between one of us and the chef! He could not accept that someone does not like the MCD, and kept telling us we were wrong about it.

Really? I bet I've sat through more of them than he has. :rolleyes:

We were on a B2B on the Westerdam in March. On the first leg the last night was St. Patrick's Day and there was no MCD that night. Awesome, I thought... they really are done with them (as I had read here that many ships were no longer having them). :cool:

On the Southern leg there WAS an MCD. We decided to forgo the last formal night (the 2nd to last night) to eat in the Canaletto a second time (we loved it) and I had booked the Pinnacle Grill months before for the last night (as we are not MCD fans! :rolleyes:).

When we said our goodbyes and gave an envelope to our wine steward (who was AWESOME btw) on the 3rd to last night he was surprised and wondered why he would not be seeing us again.

Turns out it was missing the formal night that had confused him. When I mentioned that we didn't like the Master Chef's Dinner, he just grimaced and shook his head and we spoke briefly about it with him.

Us not being in the dining room for the MCD he understood! ;)

I’m so glad I found this thread. There are many others who detest the dreary, depressing and degrading aspects of this tragic last night! We like the food and service in the dining room and have suffered repeatedly during the early part of the last dinner on a number of cruises. Now I know when I’m going to use the free Pinnacle dinner for two from our travel agent.

Isn't it interesting how, in general, those who come out in support of the MCD do so in a calm and friendly manner. While those who are against it use hyperbole, extreme language, and almost bullying tactics to get their point across?

It certainly is interesting to me.

Isn't it interesting how, in general, those who come out in support of the MCD do so in a calm and friendly manner. While those who are against it use hyperbole, extreme language, and almost bullying tactics to get their point across?

i have been reading this thread since it first started -- but haven't posted until now

we don't like the master chef dinner -- prefer to end a cruise with a nice quiet, relaxing dinner

hope i haven't used too much extreme language here

i have been reading this thread since it first started -- but haven't posted until now

we don't like the master chef dinner -- prefer to end a cruise with a nice quiet, relaxing dinner

I concur, Krazy Kruisers.

I think RuthC summed it up nicely in her recent post when she wrote; "He could not accept that someone does not like the MCD..."

I think RuthC summed it up nicely in her recent post when she wrote; "He could not accept that someone does not like the MCD..."

Thank you, Joe. I don't believe what I wrote comes under any of the headings of "hyperbole, extreme language, and almost bullying tactics".

no, as always you are gracious and well phrased :)

Archived