Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

From a Corporate point of view it is all about target markets. The two major cruise corporations each have divisions that cater to different markets.

With Royal Caribbean Inc the Celebrity division is marketed towards the more mature and affluent market. Younger families with children are welcome but they are not their targeted market. They are clearly looking for the more affluent empty nesters looking to spend big bucks on wine and private dining. Just look at the itineraries and the activities offered.

The Royal ships are trying their hardest to compete against Carnival and Disney. By offering Shrek and characters they are going one on one against Disney. In the smaller ships they are competing against Carnival with the anything goes type of atmosphere.

Princess appears to be trying to compete against Celebrity as they both target the same audience. HAL targets the 75 and over crowd as they typically shut down early each night and do a good job at satisfying that market. Cunard caters mostly to the European affluent society looking to do transcontinental and longer cruises and tends to have the niche in this market.

So what it comes down to is that all are welcome on every ship but keep in mind you may not fall into the targeted market they are trying to attract.

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

It's not true at all. We are taking ours on their 3rd Celebrity cruise this summer.

I don't mind cruising with adults, so long as they are well behaved and well mannered. It only takes a few bad apple adults to spoil the bunch, like those that smoke where they are not supposed to, are rude to staff and other pax, wear flip flops to dinner in the MDR, complain loudly about the smallest annoyance, etc, etc. Oops, this thread is about kids :o sorry, my mistake.

I don't mind cruising with adults, so long as they are well behaved and well mannered. It only takes a few bad apple adults to spoil the bunch, like those that smoke where they are not supposed to, are rude to staff and other pax, wear flip flops to dinner in the MDR, complain loudly about the smallest annoyance, etc, etc. Oops, this thread is about kids :o sorry, my mistake.

Bwahahahahahaha :p

I have been very lucky and never run across the 'rude adult' or 'loud mouth drunk adult' on a cruise. I have run across unsupervised kids behaving badly several times.

On my last cruise two kids late at night were playing in the elevators and banging on the elevator walls so loud I could hear it decks away as the elevator approached. Several complaints to Security were called in as well as mine. Kids in bars where they don't belong doing handstands, in adult-only public and pool areas unsupervised by their parents who were no where to be seen. I don't like cruising or vacationing around kids.

Yes I know, I was a kid once. Doesn't mean I have to like them now.

And as one poster mentioned, just because kids are welcomed doesn't mean they are the target audience.

As for babies, keep them at home.

I now cruise off-season and between holidays to avoid families and kids. Been a pretty successful formula so far.

There should be dining venues where no kids below 18 are allowed as well. Nothing like having a quiet meal in an upscale, adult, elegant environment with rug rats squirming and squealing. Even if they are well behaved I don't want them around. Leave them at home or go on a family-targeted cruise line or Walt Disney World.

Let the adults have at lease one mass market line to appreciate and cruise on without 800 kids running around.

I have been very lucky and never run across the 'rude adult' or 'loud mouth drunk adult' on a cruise. I have run across unsupervised kids behaving badly several times.

I don't like cruising or vacationing around kids.

Yes I know, I was a kid once. Doesn't mean I have to like them now.

And as one poster mentioned, just because kids are welcomed doesn't mean they are the target audience.

As for babies, keep them at home.

There should be dining venues where no kids below 18 are allowed as well. Leave them at home or go on a family-targeted cruise line or Walt Disney World.

Let the adults have at lease one mass market line to appreciate and cruise on without 800 kids running around.

"Mass Market" - If you had your wish then it would not be a mass market line - think about it for a second.

As for unruly and mis-behaved kids, nobody wants - we're all in agreement. But not even "well behaved" kids? And no babies? What happened to you that made you dislike children so much? There are adults only cruising options - you're the picky one - go find 'em. Once a mass market line caters to the desires of a single demographic (or a single person) they no longer become mass market. Get it?

"Mass Market" - If you had your wish then it would not be a mass market line - think about it for a second.

As for unruly and mis-behaved kids, nobody wants - we're all in agreement. But not even "well behaved" kids? And no babies? What happened to you that made you dislike children so much? There are adults only cruising options - you're the picky one - go find 'em. Once a mass market line caters to the desires of a single demographic (or a single person) they no longer become mass market. Get it?

cnote, I agree with you completely. A number of people have a tendency to forget that Celebrity is a mass market cruise line, not an upscale niche cruise line.

The kids I have encountered on Celebrity have been very well-behaved like their parents.

As have we, except out of San Juan.

On that trip there were large numbers of loud, uncontrolled kid's that were not enrolled in the kid's programs. We will never book out of San Juan again mostly because of the experience. Thats ok because the travel connections to SJ sux from where we live.

Kid's behavior is a direct result of the parents expectations about their behavior. Ours (now adults) always acted appropriately around adults.

From a Corporate point of view it is all about target markets. The two major cruise corporations each have divisions that cater to different markets.

With Royal Caribbean Inc the Celebrity division is marketed towards the more mature and affluent market. Younger families with children are welcome but they are not their targeted market. They are clearly looking for the more affluent empty nesters looking to spend big bucks on wine and private dining. Just look at the itineraries and the activities offered.

The Royal ships are trying their hardest to compete against Carnival and Disney. By offering Shrek and characters they are going one on one against Disney. In the smaller ships they are competing against Carnival with the anything goes type of atmosphere.

Princess appears to be trying to compete against Celebrity as they both target the same audience. HAL targets the 75 and over crowd as they typically shut down early each night and do a good job at satisfying that market. Cunard caters mostly to the European affluent society looking to do transcontinental and longer cruises and tends to have the niche in this market.

So what it comes down to is that all are welcome on every ship but keep in mind you may not fall into the targeted market they are trying to attract.

I think you are exactly right. I work with kids professionally and have a bunch of grandchildren to play with and spoil. So when I vacation with Celebrity it is a complete and welcome change of pace for me, and I love it!

LOVE KIDS, LOVE CELEBRITY!

A cruise line can still be 'mass market' (as opposed to 'luxury' or 'niche' lines) and not cater to every single last demographic out there including families with children. Only in the last 10-15 years have the more 'upscale' mass market cruise lines begin to incorporate so many aspects of the experience to try include kids. Holland-America and Celebrity were among the last holdouts still attempting to cater to their target audience and loyal repeat guests but attract new guests that included families with children. That's why you won't see all the theme park styled innovations and cartoon characters on Celebrity or HAL even though they still have teen centers and babysitting. Celebrity may have these facilities, but the largest portion of the ship is geared to adults, adult relaxation, and adult dining experiences, which is their target audience.

And it's not just on the Celebrity CC Boards where you will see cruisers wanting options on other mass markets lines that have venues just for adults. Dining in specialty restaurants, adult-only pool areas, and spa and relaxation areas off limits to kids under 18 years of age. The cruise lines have so entrenched the idea of all ships and all lines being family friendly that they have forgotten about those that don't have children whether they are retired, empty nesters, or DINKS (dual incomes, no kids) that just want a quiet adult getaway on a cruise ship.*

I mentioned it a while back that if you threw a brochure in front of a bunch of kids of the Celebrity ECLIPSE or the Oasis of the Seas which one do you think the kids would pick? But parents decide with little to no input on what the kids would really want as for their vacation. Sure kids aren't paying for it, and they will have fun on any cruise geared mostly towards adults, but they can also have fun playing in a sandbox in the park or going to Cedar Point, Las Vegas, or Daytona.

It has been mentioned by others that they had infants or small children but out of respect for those they would be cruising with decided until the kids were more of age to travel on a ship. And others have mentioned that their kids have been travelling on a cruise ship since they have been able to be potty trained. Not everyone enjoys a child sitting at the same dining table even though they 'smile' and say 'how cute they are'. And not every cabin steward or waiter looks forward to dealing with everyones kids and their mess, it's just a part of their job. And they do it well. And not every cruiser who wants to cruise in an nice, adult, (relatively) kid free environment should be 'banished' to Silversea, Crystal, or Oceania cruises.

Shoot, if I had my choice I'd like to cruise without kids but it's not going to happen. Most kids are fine, even mine :) They are grown so when we go on a trip we really don't like to be surrounded by kids.

I've only been on a 1 or 2 cruises when kids were an issue and these were just the short weekend Carnival cruises. Most times on Celebrity you can't even tell there are kids aboard.

As for babies, I never understood that. Love my grandkids but would never in a million years dream of bringing them on a cruise until they are older. Only the parents know why they'd bring a baby on a cruise.

enjoy,

Duane

There should be dining venues where no kids below 18 are allowed as well. Nothing like having a quiet meal in an upscale, adult, elegant environment with rug rats squirming and squealing. Even if they are well behaved I don't want them around. Leave them at home or go on a family-targeted cruise line or Walt Disney World.

I have had the total opposite experience and I cruise peak season and holidays.....never ran across kids behaving badly, rude adults at least a few on every single one. If you don't want to see well behaved kids on a cruise, perhaps you should rent your own yacht or vote with your wallet and choose Crystal, if that is even feasible.

Leave my kids at home?? Why? Because "YOU" don't want them around you....now that is funny. Disney World is great but we have been there four times now....we need to give it a break a little.;)

I mentioned it a while back that if you threw a brochure in front of a bunch of kids of the Celebrity ECLIPSE or the Oasis of the Seas which one do you think the kids would pick? But parents decide with little to no input on what the kids would really want as for their vacation. Sure kids aren't paying for it, and they will have fun on any cruise geared mostly towards adults, but they can also have fun playing in a sandbox in the park or going to Cedar Point, Las Vegas, or Daytona.

It has been mentioned by others that they had infants or small children but out of respect for those they would be cruising with decided until the kids were more of age to travel on a ship. And others have mentioned that their kids have been travelling on a cruise ship since they have been able to be potty trained. Not everyone enjoys a child sitting at the same dining table even though they 'smile' and say 'how cute they are'. And not every cabin steward or waiter looks forward to dealing with everyones kids and their mess, it's just a part of their job. And they do it well. And not every cruiser who wants to cruise in an nice, adult, (relatively) kid free environment should be 'banished' to Silversea, Crystal, or Oceania cruises.

I'm an adult and I would choose Oasis of the Seas!:p

And not every family should be "banished" to Walt Disney World (as you indicated in your above post) or Carvinal, Disney or Royal Caribbean cruise lines. Us families like variety too you know.

Dmwnc1959, I think you and I have had this debate before. You think parents decide with "little to no input on what kids really want as their vacation." Maybe that's true but as a parent I'm just fine with that. Parents get scolded on these CC boards all the time for abandoning their duties as parents. Well I think that one of my duties/privileges as parent is to pick the vacation with little or no input from my kids. I happen to think I'm smarter about this than they are, even if my 14 year old thinks I'm dumb as a rock.:rolleyes:

You're probably right that if I showed my kids some brochures, they'd pick the Oasis of the Seas. But I'm in charge and I've decided to take them on the Celebrity Equinox to visit Rome (5 day pre-cruise visit), Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples. (This will be their 3rd European cruise.) I've also dragged them on land trips to Washington DC, Manhattan, and San Francisco. They didn't pick those trips either.

Families are like other cruisers in that we vary widely in terms of types of cruise experiences we want. One size doesn't fit all. For lots of famiiles, Celebrity provides exactly the cruise experience they want.

The unruly thing is really not true. Celebrity cruisers are very respectful and their kids are well-behaved and well dressed. I have cruised on Disney and it is fun for the kids but not too much fun for the adults IMO. We are doing Orlando over spring break and then Celebrity Summit in August. There will be hundreds of kids and they will all be entertained by the youth staff.

I have to say that I have traveled on all adult cruises and the adults hog pool chairs and are more annoying than kids.

Dmwnc1959, I think you and I have had this debate before.

I think you may be right. Your screen name looks vaguely familiar :) as does your 'debate'.*

This is one of those topics in which the opposing sides may have to 'agree to disagree'. Stalemate, is that the right term?

I am exhausted after working 136 hours this past two weeks and need to rest. There isn't really much more that can be said that will change or enlighten anyone's opinions or opposing viewpoints.

And aren't opposing viewpoints wonderful in a civil debate. :)

Celebrity cruisers are very respectful and their kids are well-behaved and well dressed.

Oh how I wish this were true! It seems that on every cruise, there is at least one screaming child in the dining room/at the pool/in some public area with the parents completely ignoring both the screaming and the others around them. Many of us (probably all if everyone were honest) have seen kids running around the buffet or running around the MDR and again, the parents just ignore the kids. Sure, I've seen baby's crying/screaming and I've seen some parents who pick up the child and walk out of the venue until the child quiets down....and I've seen others, unfortunately, who just ignore the screaming because they figure the child will eventually fall asleep or whatever.

There certainly are a lot of great kids and great parents....but then there are the "I paid for my space and I don't care about anyone else" parents. Those (hopefully) few are the cause of the negativism about kids on Celebrity and every other cruise line.

I had a rant prepared but it seems several other posters beat me to it. Basically, unless and until X changes their policies, familes, kids and babies will be onboard. For now - deal with it or change lines.

Also, my baby will be onboard, he'll be in the MDR, at the shows, and strolling in to the occasional lounge while we grab a drink, thankfully free from Disney, Shrek and other cartoon annoyances. See you there!

As people have pointed out on this board and elsewhere- there are very few children on cruises that take place the majority of the year only over spring break, Christmas and in the summer do you see many children on the major cruise lines. So for people that hate children and don't want to be around them- they just need to avoid- college breaks (March), Easter break (weeks before and after Easter), Christmas and New Years and Summer vacation times.

Also, there will be few children on Oceania and Amazara. So there are choices out there for the majority of seniors. If I didn't have kids there is no way I way go during the most expensive periods- school breaks.

Some people just love to argue about kids and it is really sad. I have never had my dinner ruined by children on Celebrity and have almost always sailed during school breaks.

Even the staff is thrilled to have children and younger people onboard because the older people gripe and the younger people just have fun and appreciate everything.

Oh how I wish this were true! It seems that on every cruise, there is at least one screaming child in the dining room/at the pool/in some public area with the parents completely ignoring both the screaming and the others around them. Many of us (probably all if everyone were honest) have seen kids running around the buffet or running around the MDR and again,
So you are saying that those of us who have never experienced the screaming kids, 600 kids running around invading adult areas, etc are being dishonest? Why? Or is it very possible that those who make such comments are the ones who may be dishonest because they hate the sight of kids anywhere around them and they feel there comments will support their position about kids on cruises??:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that well behaved kids are rarely going to pose a problem for anyone. Sure, you have some adults who simply have the mindset that kids should not be seen or heard so the act of simply walking by them with a child is enough to enrage them.

But for the most part, well behaved kids aren't going to be much of a problem on a cruise.

However, as anyone with kids knows, a natural part of having kids (especially young ones) unfortunately includes times when they might yell, cry, scream, throw a tantrum, refuse to eat, etc. These times are unfortunately and we all want to avoid them as much as possible, but I think it is during these times that the parents have to have the common sense to take the child away and into a place where the child won't bother other people on the ship.

I have taken my now 5 year old on 3 cruises. The first cruise was on Princess and it was ok. He was only 2 years old so he didn't go into the kids club area. He did watch some of the shows with us and there was one show with a comedian that comes to mind. We got to the show early and sat down at the side near the aisle so that we can pull him out in case he starts to act up. It was a comedy show so there was a lot of random chatter, giggling, laughing, etc. After the show started, a lady showed up and sat in front of us and proceeded to get angry because my son was also laughing and giggling with everyone else. She simply didn't like kids.

After that, we went on 2 Disney cruises and they have been wonderful. Kids are expected and appreciated and I will likely continue to cruise with them simply because the other cruises all understand that kids are kids, not adults.

On my previous cruises on Carnival and RCI, my table mates (strangers) have always told me how they dislike kids and if I had brought a kid they would have asked to be moved, etc.

In general, I still feel that even though the cruise lines may cater and market to families and kids, Disney is really the only cruise line where the actual passengers are kid friendly.

we do our best to avoid cruises that may have more kids aboard than usual. We have had some nighmare cruises with kids on board, whether few or many. Spent a lot of our holidays disciplining other peoples children.

Just wish a cruise would still be a couples luxury. That is what it was for us when our kids were growing up. They got to go elsewhere with us. But now parents even pull kids out of school, so it is hard to get a kid free sail. Celebrity does not have as much to offer kids as the Royal Carib ships do, so we hope that parents will not bring their children onto celebrity ships. Azamara is the greatest. NO kids at all. But too much to pay for that privilege.

Yes many of us feel that way, but few will say it.

This is a raging debate and I disagree. Celebrity does such a good job with kids that a frequent comment when people (grandparents mostly) see me with my son- they say "I didn't know there were kids onboard. This is the first one I've seen". On that sailing Constellation 2006 (Easter) there were over 300 children.

On Easter the kids did a little Easter parade by the pool and some of the older people were so rude. I wanted to cry. How anyone could be annoyed by cute small well-behaved children in little parade is beyond me.

There are people that clearly want to discourage Celebrity for parents because they fear that this board will cause an increase in children onboard. That's why they are saying things on here that aren't true.

The comment about showing a kid one ship over another is so crass. Parents pay for the vacation and they accommodate their children's needs but I hated Royal Caribbean and Disney. So, I am not going to leave it up to my son. He picked Celebrity Fun Factory over all the over lines we've sailed. They have so much fun there that he never comes to dinner with me. He spends most of his waking hours there. Most other children do too.

Archived