water

cantfindaname

Hi there ,

No way would I drink the water from the taps in your state room its always warm as its coming from the ships desalination plant on board ..... its bad enough using it to clean your teeth :( you could buy bottled water to keep in your fridge or there are various water coolers around the ship you could get drinkable water from :)

We always drink the tap water. It is purified by reverse osmosis, so may be safer than bottled water, and we have never had issues with taste or odor. We refill our own water bottles (hate producing extra garbage at sea!) and keep them in the fridge. Your steward will provide ice for you as well.

We always drink the tap water. It is purified by reverse osmosis, so may be safer than bottled water, and we have never had issues with taste or odor. We refill our own water bottles (hate producing extra garbage at sea!) and keep them in the fridge. Your steward will provide ice for you as well.
You are not correct in you assumption that the water is purified by reverse osmosis. Water is taken on in ports and some is distilled by evaporators. On older ships the tanks my add a taste to the water. I don't know how many cruises you have been on but just because you have never had issues with taste or odor does not mean you won't in the future.

We've always drunk the tap water....still alive! It won't, however, "run cold", so the ice that's delivered to you cabin is a must! The ice is made with the same water that comes from your tap, and is used to make the food and drink you'll be consuming all week!

You are not correct in you assumption that the water is purified by reverse osmosis. Water is taken on in ports and some is distilled by evaporators. On older ships the tanks my add a taste to the water. I don't know how many cruises you have been on but just because you have never had issues with taste or odor does not mean you won't in the future.

I would bet that the ship makes a majority of its own water because IF there ever was a contamination issue it would be easier to trace the problem. If they took on water in foreign ports along their route a contamination issue would be more difficult to pinpoint.

Lastly they have to make their own water becuase there is not enough storage tanks for the vast amount a water a ship uses on a daily basis {YMMV}

Take a wide mouth water bottle and you can put ice in it (from your ice bucket or the buffet). Of course, then you have to bring the water bottle back from excursions. But it's hard (depending on the size) to fit some water bottles under the faucet, so getting water at the buffet might be easier. I've refilled water bottles from the melted ice in the ice bucket- very cold. Other posters are right- water from the tap in the bathroom ranges from warm to very hot at its coldest.

I would bet that the ship makes a majority of its own water because IF there ever was a contamination issue it would be easier to trace the problem. If they took on water in foreign ports along their route a contamination issue would be more difficult to pinpoint.

Lastly they have to make their own water becuase there is not enough storage tanks for the vast amount a water a ship uses on a daily basis {YMMV}

How Much, I'll bet. If you look you will see ships taking on water in almost every port. The amount they take on verses what the make varies depending on the itinerary.

I had dinner with the Staff Chief Engineer on P&P Arcadia and he says some ships' water is better than Aquafina, and some he definately would not use to boil for tea!

In other words - unless you are really confident what you are drinking I would advise you to plan on bottles water.

Here's a great idea - why doesn't someone invent a collapsible Brita for cruise ship!?!?!? Lightweight, fits in a suitcase and filter should be good for 30 days.

How Much, I'll bet. If you look you will see ships taking on water in almost every port. The amount they take on verses what the make varies depending on the itinerary.

My knowledge is from my 7 years of being on Navy Ships, not cruising. But I will watch next time I'm on a cruise and will look for the blue potable water hoses connected between the ship and pier. And if it is in Mexico, I'm not drinking the ship's water.

My knowledge is from my 7 years of being on Navy Ships, not cruising. But I will watch next time I'm on a cruise and will look for the blue potable water hoses connected between the ship and pier. And if it is in Mexico, I'm not drinking the ship's water.
They do take on water in mexico, all water is tested before being taken on. I don't have any problem with the ships water but once in a while it has chlorine taste.

The ship water generally tastes fine. I usually feel comfortable drinking it. That said, I buy bottled water for the most part. I don't want to start a big argument on this, so I'm saying this is just my personal experience and I'm not a scientist. For me, I retain a lot more fluid and my ankles swell horribly if I drink ship water. I don't have that experience with bottled water and I feel a lot better. Once again, personal opinion only, but I think there's a lot of sodium that remains in the ship water. I do use the ice and drink it here or there in purchased drinks, but mostly I stick to bottled water.

They do take on water in mexico, all water is tested before being taken on. I don't have any problem with the ships water but once in a while it has chlorine taste.

Just a guess, but I imagine that, even when the ship takes on water, it is still treated before being sent to my bathroom faucet. There is no way that the ship risks the health of everyone on board by completely trusting water from a port, or the potable water hose cleanliness.

I had dinner with the Staff Chief Engineer on P&P Arcadia and he says some ships' water is better than Aquafina, and some he definately would not use to boil for tea!

In other words - unless you are really confident what you are drinking I would advise you to plan on bottles water.

Here's a great idea - why doesn't someone invent a collapsible Brita for cruise ship!?!?!? Lightweight, fits in a suitcase and filter should be good for 30 days.

Check out hiking supply stores. There are a number of filters on the market that fit your description. (They have to be small and lightweight, because we carry them for miles and miles!)

Some sources for bottled water in our area:

Most bottled water is from a municipal water supply.

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters in California — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Tom Thumb's brand, Refreshe', doesn't reveal its source. It's bottled by Advanced H20 near Duncanville.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

I drink tap water at home and on board the ship for all cruises. I have never tasted chlorine in the cabin tap water in any of my cruises but it is usually quite warm. At home, sometimes there is chlorine smell but now they use a different compound in the city which does not have the chlorine smell. For some reason the city water is no longer suitable for home aquariums.

My ankles swell also, but I think it comes from the food, not the water. Food on the ship is very salty.

I have experienced ankle swelling as well on our last two cruises (Crown and Coral).

Archived