Balcony in Alaska

dickinson

I have never cruised to Alaska. Is a balcony worth it? Was it too cold to spend time outside? We are planning on going either June 9, 2012 or June 23. I have never had a balcony before so have no clue how much time I would spend outside but Alaska with its beautiful scenery might be worth it if it is not too cold. Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't consider not having one. Although there are many spots to view from on all of the ships, it was very nice being able to pop out on the balcony, jump in to warm up (it was a little rainy in Glacier Bay) while listening to the commentary on the cabin TV. Every so often I would range out on onto the upper decks to get a different vantage.

In June it should be a bit warmer than it was for us in Sep.

I have never cruised to Alaska. Is a balcony worth it? Was it too cold to spend time outside? We are planning on going either June 9, 2012 or June 23. I have never had a balcony before so have no clue how much time I would spend outside but Alaska with its beautiful scenery might be worth it if it is not too cold. Thanks

We travelled to Alaska in early June 2008 - and even though the weather was cool, we used our balcony a lot. I can't imagine going to Alaska without it -- the scenery was spectacular. We were on the starboard side of the ship, and nearly always had something to look at. It was absolutely worth it for Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Scenery - see it, smell it, feel it, taste it whenever you want to. :)

Looking forward to our balcony again to Alaska. We were there last in August and weather was a little chilly at times near glacier but spent much time out there and were quite comfortable.

You will have many different opinions on this. I can't imagine going to Alaska without one, but some will say you certainly don't need one. We go up on deck when we want to and enjoy our privacy and being able to pop outside whenever we want to on our balcony. Best of both worlds.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks all. This will be a Seattle round trip. Which side is better (or does it even make a difference) port or starboard?

This will be our 5th trip up to Alaska, 3 previous times in an inside cabin, once, lucky enough to get a balcony for a great price and this time, back into the cave. I don't mind an inside cabin at all but do prefer a balcony if the price is right. However, Alaska is the one place where having a balcony is priceless. It was not too cold (although there were times it was chilly outside) and the scenery is the best of anywhere else in the world. Imagine whale watching from right outside your room....yes, it does happen.

Wish the balcony rooms were not so expensive up in Alaska this year....but they are so we will be happy with an inside cabin. If it is going to be your one time up in Alaska, I think it is worth the splurge.

I would never consider an Alaskan cruise without a balcony.....:):):)

Bob

We did our Alaska cruise in an outside cabin which we enjoyed. We found it too cool to be outside. When we went to Alaska it rained every single day on our cruise. If you want a balcony might want to get a covered one. Have a great cruise.

I have gone with balconies and without balconies. I think a balcony is not a bad idea in the prime season but on the shoulder seasons I don't feel it is a wise choice. To really enjoy all that Alaska offers one really needs to get out of their cabin and out on deck or in a lounge to see it all. Stay on your balcony and you will see exactly 50% of it. Go with what ever you can afford...but please go.

Ah some will say got to have it.

I've shared my story here before, we booked 2 balcony and three inside, one on each side of the ship so can't miss. IMHO it all comes down to your budget and how much of a value cruiser you are. In hindsight we would have enjoyed the cruise just as much with 5 inside cabins.

If you have to compromise on excursions I'd say no way. The premium is high and to sacrifice a excursion isn't worth it. We had good weather and to be honest the views are best up front and up top, and they are free. Some will say nothing like watching a sun rise, sun set or sitting on your balcony. This ain't the Caribbean expect it to be 60's and cool and windy, you won't be sitting on the balcony for hours. You'll be watching from inside. We had a wonderfuly sail away from skagway where we spent a few minutes enjoying the view and sun, but for the price premium I think I and my family could have careed less, YMMV.

If I was to do it again, unless I get a fire sale price its inside for us. All the stuff like decks and great views is free.

If I felt like most on this thread, I wouldn't be cruising to Alaska. Simply, we can't afford the balcony pricing that so many say you "must" have. In 2008 we had an ocean view; this year we have an inside. I would like at least a window, but we are on the 14 day itinerary that is costly and we are trying to take some of the nicer excursions. Nicer translates into more expensive. We opted to use our money for excursions rather than for a nicer cabin. On our last cruise we spent our time on deck or in the lounge with the panoramic view. If money were no object, I would probably enjoy a balcony for at least part of my day. However it is not an option for me with our budget constraints. I will see everything everyone else does, just not from my cabin.

This same question comes up every week. :) I suggest you take some time, and read some back posts on this subject. There is no "right" answer.

I will state opposite the above- I always go cheap inside- and am VERY grateful for those who do go in balconies, who allow me, my cheap, repeative trips.

For me, traveling at least 5 times more than the average traveler, is my priority. You will need to figure out what is yours??

Personally, I like a veranda. We had a suite last summer and hoped to have breakfast out there with our friends each morning. Unfortunately, the weather was not conducive on a single day. I really enjoy having one, but on our trip, I did not use it much.

If finances are an issue, I would agree that doing some of the better excursions (I do those privately to save a little and to get exactly what I want) would have to take precedence. In College Fjord we were in the buffet a lot of the time looking out, and there was an outside deck adjacent to it. In Glacier Bay we were on deck, inside, on our veranda, but the veranda was not necessary.

Yes we saw glaciers from our veranda, but I would trade almost all shipboard views for what we saw on the Kenai Fjords Tour -- being up close and real personal with a glacier was far more impressive and put things in perspective. Taking a helo ride out to a glacier and walking on it was incredible. Those things you simply cannot do many places, and if that was the choice, skip the veranda.

If finances are not an issue, then you can take a chance. Why do I say that? The entire time we were on the coast (on the ship) it was cool, cloudy, rainy and foggy. In seven days, I don't think I was on our veranda for 2 hours. If your weather is good, that could be very different.

Do you really, really see a lot from the ship? Ehh! In College Fjord and Glacier Bay you see a ton (pardon the expression) of glaciers, and I am sure Hubbard Bay is the same. But these can be seen from the deck or an ocean view cabin as well. Bear in mind that you are a mile away from them on the ship. Along the coast, you will see hills, some glaciers (at a real distance) and some other land masses. Is there so much to see in detail that you don't want to miss a single second? I don't think so.

Bottom line, I agree with Budget Queen that you let your finances control the issue if need be and do the better excursions. If finances are not the issue, a veranda is always nice, and you are in Alaska to see the sights.

Thank you all. I really appreciate all your opinions. I really wish my crystal ball was working so I would know the weather in advance in order to determine if I would ever sit on the balcony :). I would hate to spend an extra $300 or so for nothing. Not than I can't afford it but I am frugal :eek: I am not used to spending all that money for a vacation.

It will be so worth the extra money you spend. To really enjoy Alaska you need to be outside looking at the view. What better way than not fighting the crowd up on deck. We used our balcony quite a bit on caribbean cruises and plan to use it even more on our upcoming Alaska cruise. I also plan on wondering on deck for other vantage points also.

It will be so worth the extra money you spend. .

If the difference is slight, then perhaps. For my cruise, it was significant. Even with the pricy excursions we have planned, we will probably spend less total than we would have spent just for a balcony. For those with unlimited vacation funds, I am sure it is a no brainer to get the balcony. For those of us on stricter budgets it is a no go.

We just booked ours 2 days ago and for the us the price difference was $500 we felt it would be well worth it to have the balcony. If the only way I could afford it was to go with an inside then that is the way I would go

I'm with BQ on this one, I'd rather sail every year than have a balcony. I've done Alaska 15 times,with 4 outside, 6 obstructed and 5 inside cabins. If I was only going once and could afford it a balcony might be nice but I prefer multiple visits. With all of the free open decks available for viewing I don't see any reason to pay extra.

We sailed to Alaska in June of 08 and then May of 09. Had a balcony for both. We loved it. Many times in the afternoon I need a rest. I found it very pleasant to sit in my stateroom with the balcony door open. Scenery in Alaska is the best, IMHO, especially the Inside Passage. Beautiful.

If you can afford it, I say go for it!.

I'm with BQ on this one, I'd rather sail every year than have a balcony. I've done Alaska 15 times,with 4 outside, 6 obstructed and 5 inside cabins. If I was only going once and could afford it a balcony might be nice but I prefer multiple visits. With all of the free open decks available for viewing I don't see any reason to pay extra.

Yeah- like an addict. :) I HAVE to go every year- this year twice. BOO HOO poor me. :)

Bringing me to 30 Alaska trips.

How crowded do the decks get?

There are always people out as you head towards the glaciers, but as soon as the captain turns to leave so does all of the crowd. At the glacier itself the forward decks will be packed but there is usually lots of space on the side rails, I usually find the promenade deck almost empty. This is one of my favorite spots to watch the world go by for the sail into and out of Glacier Bay

Archived