dress code in specialty restaurants

physicianrh

spoke with two different celebrity service reps today re: dress code for specialty restaurants on two formal nights on eclipse cruise. One said smart casual is fine, one said formal dress code only. I called back a third time and asked to clarify with a manager. Apparently the requirement was changed recently to smart casual every night of the cruise regardless of the dress code in the main restaurant. refer to FAQ answers under dress code on celebrity website

Oh bummer. I like dressing up and seeing other people dressed up.

Gingee, I know what you mean. I used to wear a uniform when I worked for an airline most of my life. Now I work from home and getting dressed up occasionally is fun for me and my DH.

I can't imagine you'll be overdressed in the specialty restaurant and I'm sure others will be dressed up too, especially on formal night even if it's not required. So go ahead and get dolled up!;):)

Dress code is smart casual in all specialty restaurants, has been that way for about a year. Here is a the wording from their web site, as others have said Celebritys customer service is very often wrong.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Dress code is smart casual in all specialty restaurants, has been that way for about a year. Here is a the wording from their web site, as others have said Celebritys customer service is very often wrong.

Correct on both accounts. Dress is smart casual. Dress up if you want to. The important part of the answer is that you cannot rely on Celebrity Customer Service.

Oh bummer. I like dressing up and seeing other people dressed up.

Dress as you wish. Don't you remember seeing those 1930's musicals on TV where they'd walk into the local bar in tophat and full gowns and everybody would break into song along with the rough-dressed locals?

Fun to go as you feel and just enjoy.

Den

Despite what has been said on these boards and what is posted on the Celebrity website [and you can usually find at least two different things there about any subject if you navigate to the information in different ways especially if you use both the US and UK sites], on Constellation last November the card you received on the morning of visiting the speciality restaurants clearly stated that the dress code as the same as for the rest of the ship and, on formal nights, people all dressed formally whether in Ocean Liners or the Tuscan Grille. So, for those of you who wish to dress formally in the speciality restaurant, you can feel perfectly comfortable doing so.

Sue

We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary in a specialty restaurant on formal night and we will dress formally and not look back.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou

Congrataltion! We have already decided that when we celebrate our 40th anniversary in 2012, we will dress formally whatever the dress code is on that evening.

Sue

Mary Lou

Congrataltion! We have already decided that when we celebrate our 40th anniversary in 2012, we will dress formally whatever the dress code is on that evening.

Sue

That is great, remember what the quote says "smart casual and above." I think a lot of people forget that the word above is in the quote..

Despite what has been said on these boards and what is posted on the Celebrity website [and you can usually find at least two different things there about any subject if you navigate to the information in different ways especially if you use both the US and UK sites], on Constellation last November the card you received on the morning of visiting the speciality restaurants clearly stated that the dress code as the same as for the rest of the ship and, on formal nights, people all dressed formally whether in Ocean Liners or the Tuscan Grille. So, for those of you who wish to dress formally in the speciality restaurant, you can feel perfectly comfortable doing so.

Sue

You are not the first person to share an account like this - in which the cruiseline states that more formality is required on-board than is laid-out in the guidelines on the website.

I am, however, unsure how they can approach it in that fashion, since most people pack for the cruise based on how many days are required of each level of attire. I don't see how that X can spring an "extra" formal night on the pax - unless they expect most people to be wearing their dirty formal clothes from one of the other formal nights. Also, there are people that don't pack formally at all, because they plan to do the Specialty Restaurants on every MDR-formal night.

What gives?

You are not the first person to share an account like this - in which the cruiseline states that more formality is required on-board than is laid-out in the guidelines on the website.

I am, however, unsure how they can approach it in that fashion, since most people pack for the cruise based on how many days are required of each level of attire. I don't see how that X can spring an "extra" formal night on the pax - unless they expect most people to be wearing their dirty formal clothes from one of the other formal nights. Also, there are people that don't pack formally at all, because they plan to do the Specialty Restaurants on every MDR-formal night.

What gives?

You are so right, I've seen many people on these boards who are no longer bringing any formal clothes based upon the web sites...

What gives?

If the ships truly are posting information that is contrary to the website policies then someone with authority needs to straighten it out. How hard can it be? What do they have, 8-12 ships? One or two people on each ship responsible for communicating the policy? Once again, how hard can it be to get it consistent?

If the ships truly are posting information that is contrary to the website policies then someone with authority needs to straighten it out. How hard can it be? What do they have, 8-12 ships? One or two people on each ship responsible for communicating the policy? Once again, how hard can it be to get it consistent?

I totally agree with you. But a scenario similar to the one Project_Gal described has been mentioned by at least two other people in the last 2 or 3 months, and I don't think it was all the same cruise and/or same cruise passengers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be unhappy if I was told I HAD to dress formally, after I hadn't packed anything formal because I was planning on dining in the Specialty Restaurants on those nights.

I totally agree with you. But a scenario similar to the one Project_Gal described has been mentioned by at least two other people in the last 2 or 3 months, and I don't think it was all the same cruise and/or same cruise passengers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be unhappy if I was told I HAD to dress formally, after I hadn't packed anything formal because I was planning on dining in the Specialty Restaurants on those nights.

We leave next Saturday for our cruise on Connie, and we have made (and paid for) reservations in both specialty restaurants on formal nights. We are NOT packing formal clothes, and plan to go to dinner dressed neatly, and smart casual...If they turn us away at the door, what happens to our paid reservation?

~Lynn

We leave next Saturday for our cruise on Connie, and we have made (and paid for) reservations in both specialty restaurants on formal nights. We are NOT packing formal clothes, and plan to go to dinner dressed neatly, and smart casual...If they turn us away at the door, what happens to our paid reservation?

~Lynn

It will be refunded to your onboard account.

~Lynn

I think this entire board would be shocked if they turned you away.

I eat at the specialty restaurants on every celebrity cruise, often on formal night and I have NEVER worn a tuxedo, a dinner jacket or formal Kilt, in or out of the specialty restaurants. I used to take a dark suit, but now I just wear a blue blazer with dark pants and a button down collar dress shirt. For what it's worth, I am usually dressed similarly to the majority of men and still better than some. I do think that you do need at least a sports jacket or blazer though, but I can live with that.

~Lynn

I would print out the wording on the website that says that the dress code in the specialty restaurant is smart casual and above, and I would bring it with you. I do not think you will have any problem, but this would be insurance. There will be many people in the same "boat" as you, and we have not heard from anyone that was turned away since they changed the wording on the website.

It will be refunded to your onboard account.

I think that I would throw a MUCH bigger fit than just wanting a refund. I would demand to be let in, since the website says formal wear isn't required.

Archived