TSA locks

Agreed. If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is merely decoration and does not serve as a deterrent or make it any more difficult to open your luggage. A zipper can be pried open in less than two seconds with a myriad of readily available items (pen, screw driver, pocket knife, fork etc.). A lock on a zippered suitcase merely advertises there is something of value inside without making it any more difficult to access. It would be akin to placing a lock through an envelope you drop in the mailbox.

That's one of several reasons that DH and I have always used hard-sided Samsonite luggage -- and the newer ones have the advantage of built-in TSA locks. :cool: We have had a couple of notes from TSA, when they have opened the locks, inspected the contents (neatly), and re-locked our cases.

Of course, you're preaching to the choir here about never packing anything valuable in any checked bag. Let's face it, those TSA locks would not be that hard to pick by someone else who really wanted into your suitcase! :eek:

As to RC (or any cruiseline), I would not want them opening my bags, without me or DH being present. Knock on wood, we've never been called to the "naughty room", but we'd be happy to grab our suitcase keys and open our bags for them, if requested to do so. :rolleyes:

I've used then since they can onto the market. The TSA can and does open them as proven by the "love letters" they always leave for me. :D

I have no illusions that crooks can't open them. All I'm trying to do is to prevent anyone from putting something into my luggage without my knowledge.

I have no illusions that crooks can't open them. All I'm trying to do is to prevent anyone from putting something into my luggage without my knowledge.

Unfortunately locks on zippered suitcases do not prevent that either. A locked zippered suitcase can very easily be pried open, something placed in, and then resealed - take maybe 2-3 seconds longer than if the suitcase had no lock. Not long enough to be a deterrent for someone sophisticated enough to be smuggling via this method. Fortunately such smuggling is exceedingly rare and I have never heard of such an occurrence during a mass market cruise.

Unfortunately locks on zippered suitcases do not prevent that either. A locked zippered suitcase can very easily be pried open, something placed in, and then resealed - take maybe 2-3 seconds longer than if the suitcase had no lock. Not long enough to be a deterrent for someone sophisticated enough to be smuggling via this method. Fortunately such smuggling is exceedingly rare and I have never heard of such an occurrence during a mass market cruise.

That is because the smugglers are good and don't get caught!:eek:

I had my son's (he is now 35) blunt edged kindergarten scissors in the outer pocket of my carry-on to cut my cable ties. Celebrity took them up.

I the past, I have opened the scissors up and put them with my jewelry in my jewelry roll in my carry-on. So far, that has worked. Nail clippers will cut them but I like to have scissors with me in the cabin.

I know that if someone is determined to get in my suitcase, they will. My hope is that instead of messing with mine, they will move on to the Gucci or LV unlocked one beside in baggage handling or down the hall in case of a cruise.

Tucker in Texas

My luggage does not have zippers. ;)

Okey dokey then. Lots of different answers.

For those people that use cable ties, how do you cut them off? Where do you put your instrument of choice?

My husband ususally carries a pocket knife, but not sure how to get through all the security with that in his pocket.

When I fly I and check luggage I do use cable ties I put a cuticle sizzor or nail clipper in the outside pocket. That works for cruise ships too. I don't think it invites thiefs from being more intersted. I think if someone is thinking of rummaging thru bags even thought its not their job, they'll pick a bag that isn't locked. As far as security or TSA, they have replacement cable ties and have never had anything missing.

One time I had the TSa lock on for a flight from Miami to London. when I got to my room, I saw a cable tie. I was so pissed. had to lug the suitcase back down to the hotel checkin for them to cut it. When I opened it there was a note from TSA but nothing about my lock. Thats when I started using cable ties. Just don't forget to pack the sizzor in the outside pocket.

It became a running joke for DH and I every time we had to fly through NY that our TSA locks went "missing" - no note, and nothing had been sifted through. We didn't pack valuables, it just got rather expensive (all 8 were eventually stolen, all in NY, all without a note ever left in our luggage) as those locks cost around $20 apiece ...which was apparently too tempting for TSA/airport employees. :mad:

So......we triple zip tied the locks to the luggage. JUST to make their thieving a little more difficult. :p

Never got another lock stolen again. :D

Okay, so I have to ask...if someone puts something in your luggage, how exactly do they get it back? Sorry if you think this question is dumb - I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know!

I've been wondering the same thing.:cool:

Okay, so I have to ask...if someone puts something in your luggage, how exactly do they get it back? Sorry if you think this question is dumb - I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know!

On a cruise ship I do not see this as being likely to occur. On a flight the most likely scenario is the person would try to snag your suitcase at baggage claim area before you do; alternatively they could try to take it from you by force after you retrieve the suitcase. Conceivably if an "inside" job by people working in baggage department, your suitcase would be "marked" by person putting item inside and person working in baggage claim at destination airport would retrieve the "goods" before having the suitcase placed on baggage carousel. I do not believe that any of these practices are widespread as there are generally lower risk methods of smuggling than trying to sneak something in a random person's luggage.

Except they (TSA) rarely bother to find the correct key (there are several). TSA usually just cuts locks off.

We use TSA locks because that's what we have. When we fly, we just use plastic ties and don't bother locking.

The one time we bothered with TSA locks, they just cut 'em off and threw 'em out. We just use zip ties. We throw regular luggage locks on when we get to the port, before we drop the bags with porters.

On a cruise ship I do not see this as being likely to occur. On a flight the most likely scenario is the person would try to snag your suitcase at baggage claim area before you do; alternatively they could try to take it from you by force after you retrieve the suitcase. Conceivably if an "inside" job by people working in baggage department, your suitcase would be "marked" by person putting item inside and person working in baggage claim at destination airport would retrieve the "goods" before having the suitcase placed on baggage carousel. I do not believe that any of these practices are widespread as there are generally lower risk methods of smuggling than trying to sneak something in a random person's luggage.

I agree, I also don't think this is likely! I really can't figure out how it would work on a cruise ship at all since Customs is always part of the drill. Seems to me the smuggler (who puts the contraband in my luggage, presumably after I've put it out on the ship in the hallway for pickup) would have no reason for using my luggage unless he had some way of retrieving the item after I clear Customs. I really can't see any advantage in using my luggage just to get it off the ship and retrieving it before I pick it up prior to clearing Customs. Then the smuggler would be stuck with the contraband as he went through Customs himself. And after I clear Customs, my luggage would be quickly whisked away by a cab or a shuttle. Trying to take it from me by force after Customs would be risky with the number of people around who would possibly come to my aid.

Or maybe the smuggler is my sworn enemy who really just wants to get me apprehended by Customs and arrested. Of course the smuggler could be a member of my own traveling party and I am just the dupe with the dope in my luggage. But if I get caught, they'd be scrutinized as well and probably found out. Or, in a plot worthy of a mystery/action novel (...Tom Clancy, maybe?...), the smuggler might plant a GPS device, follow me and carjack me, or mug me, or kill me to get this mysterious item back at some later time. But all this seems a bit farfetched to me! So I guess I would be more concerned about preventing things from being taken from my luggage and use locks/zip ties for that reason.

But it's been interesting thinking about this...Hey Gonzo70...you want to collaborate on a novel? Maybe we could profit enough to cruise a lot...and there would be tax deductible research to do...;)

Judy

But it's been interesting thinking about this...Hey Gonzo70...you want to collaborate on a novel? Maybe we could profit enough to cruise a lot...and there would be tax deductible research to do...;)

Judy

LOL Guys :p -- I had been reading this thread, thinking that it had the right stuff for a good whodunnit/mystery novel. Lots of imagination and writing talent around these boards -- probably why I spend so much time reading them! ;)

I'm not sure about luggage, but this type of smuggling does occur with vehicles.

A few years ago, an elderly couple from our area had their motorhome confiscated at the border upon returning from their annual winter vacation in Florida. Someone had planted drugs on an accessible part of their vehicle, presumably with the intention of retrieving it once the RV was safely parked in the owner's driveway. I don't think they were charged with possession, but I believe they had to forfeit the vehicle.

Using the same logic, it would not be inconceivable for someone to plant an illegal substance in a passenger's luggage, then, once the owner had cleared customs, use an accomplice to create a disturbance just long enough to grab the bag.

DOes anyone remember the Audrey Hepburn movie, I'm pretty sure it was "Wait Until Dark" ... there was heroin hidden inside a doll (?) that her husband brought off the airplane ... and she had to battle the bad guys who had come to their apartment to get it back??

And of course, just to make it more interesting, her character was blind!!

LOL Guys :p -- I had been reading this thread, thinking that it had the right stuff for a good whodunnit/mystery novel. Lots of imagination and writing talent around these boards -- probably why I spend so much time reading them! ;)

Yeah, I love a good whodunnit too! But drug smuggling is so common, don't you think? What about diamonds?:D That could involve even more fun research...;)

DOes anyone remember the Audrey Hepburn movie, I'm pretty sure it was "Wait Until Dark" ... there was heroin hidden inside a doll (?) that her husband brought off the airplane ... and she had to battle the bad guys who had come to their apartment to get it back??

And of course, just to make it more interesting, her character was blind!!

Oh yes - that's a classic! Audrey Hepburn's blindness was to her advantage once the lights were out.

Maybe we could do "Wait Until Disembarkation" with the lights going out on the ship and a hero/heroine who is elderly, but the hero/heroine is Pinnacle and has totally superior knowledge of the ship and the disembarkation process....;)

Judy

Judy

We have always used cable ties with a nail clipper. Finally had my luggage checked for the first time (found the CSA notice). I'm fine with that, just wish they would have fully zipped my suitcase back up instead of having my belongings falling out onto the luggage carousel when we went to pick up our bags. Grrrr.

Yes you can! A bit o' clever planning, a bit o' coordinating, a bit o' specialty shopping and it can be done! Even Metallica said so: "...The less I have, the more I gain..."

Come, come to the Dark Side! We have cookies...

Archived