TSA locks

We plan on using TSA approved locks on our checked luggage.

Do they unlock these to look inside, or call us to the naughty-room to have us open them?

Just not sure if the locks are preventing folks from rummaging through our stuff.:eek:

Laurie

We plan on using TSA approved locks on our checked luggage.

Do they unlock these to look inside, or call us to the naughty-room to have us open them?

Just not sure if the locks are preventing folks from rummaging through our stuff.:eek:

Laurie

TSA locks are for TSA, not RCL.

TSA has special keys to open your bags. If they open them for a search, they usually leave a note inside informing you that the bag has been searched. RCI does not have a key to open the locks. If RCI wants to get in your bag, they will call you to the naughty room.

TSA has special keys to open your bags. If they open them for a search, they usually leave a note inside informing you that the bag has been searched. RCI does not have a key to open the locks. If RCI wants to get in your bag, they will call you to the naughty room.

Except they (TSA) rarely bother to find the correct key (there are several). TSA usually just cuts locks off.

We use TSA locks because that's what we have. When we fly, we just use plastic ties and don't bother locking.

More often than not you are called to the naughty room to open up your suitcase and surrender whatever the offensding item is. However, one time I got called to retrieve my luggage, while my daughters showed up with a note inside stating they confiscated her bottle. Neither one of us had our luggage locked. so there is no rhyme nor reason for the method they conduct their inspections.

Never been called to the naughty room, but have had our luggage inspected several times by the TSA. They have always removed the lock, looked inside, left a note and relocked the bag. I've never had a lock cut off - maybe my agents weren't too lazy to go find their keys:confused:

My bags are always locked when they are out of my sight (not that there is anything of value in the bag - that stuff stays with me) - it just makes me feel better.:o

TSA is for the airlines, not the cruise ships. If your bags are locked (and they should be), they cannot and will not open them without you being present. Always lock your bags. We never use TSA locks...NO ONE has a right to go thru our things.

TSA is for the airlines, not the cruise ships. If your bags are locked (and they should be), they cannot and will not open them without you being present. Always lock your bags. We never use TSA locks...NO ONE has a right to go thru our things.

Tell that to the TSA if they want to inspect your luggage. They have the right and they exercise that right as they deem necessary.

I use cable ties when flying. If my bag has been opened, then I know it when I get it in baggage claim and I can look right then to make sure everything is there.

Like the OP, I don't have anything of great value in my checked bags but what I have, I need and, if it has been taken, then give me some money to go buy new underwear.

When I get to the port, I put on the old combination locks I used to use prior to the TSA getting involved.

If I am not self disembarking, I put those same locks on them when I leave the luggage in the hall. Again, not worried about some one taking something out as I am about someone putting something in the bag.

Tucker in Texas

By putting locks on your luggage, you are just inviting more than rummaging. Crooks look for the locked luggage, because that's how they know which luggage has the valuables in it.

Don't put any valuables in your luggage. Don't attract attention to it, by putting locks on them.

I use cable ties when flying. If my bag has been opened, then I know it when I get it in baggage claim and I can look right then to make sure everything is there.

Like the OP, I don't have anything of great value in my checked bags but what I have, I need and, if it has been taken, then give me some money to go buy new underwear.

When I get to the port, I put on the old combination locks I used to use prior to the TSA getting involved.

If I am not self disembarking, I put those same locks on them when I leave the luggage in the hall. Again, not worried about some one taking something out as I am about someone putting something in the bag.

Tucker in Texas

Your last sentence sums it up for me. I'm also not worried about what can be taken from my bag, I'm worries about what can be placed in it without my knowledge. I would hate to be travelling and be selected for a random search in the airport and have law enforcement find some contraband that was placed in my baggage which will cause me to be taken to the hoosegow!:eek: It is not an uncommon practice for people whom you think you can trust that work for the airlines that endeavor in illeagal activities. There have been cases of them trafficking drugs and stolen property in innocent peoples luggage.

By putting locks on your luggage, you are just inviting more than rummaging. Crooks look for the locked luggage, because that's how they know which luggage has the valuables in it.

Don't put any valuables in your luggage. Don't attract attention to it, by putting locks on them.

I never carry valuables in my checked luggage but I do lock my checked luggage for the reasons in my previous post. If a crook sees my locked luggage and expects to find valuables the crook is going to be wasting his time and will more than likey be PO'd because he could have targeted another bag with the thousands of dollars in it that made it on the plane.

and what about the new range of cases that have an integral lock on them?

It is however a TSA one.

We never put valuables in our luggage. We always lock our luggage using TSA locks. We have never had a lock cut off. Our TSA locks have a "flag" that appears when TSA has opened them using a key. We always know when TSA has been in our luggage. Most of the time they have left a note indicating they had opened our bag but a few times they have not.

Okey dokey then. Lots of different answers.

For those people that use cable ties, how do you cut them off? Where do you put your instrument of choice?

My husband ususally carries a pocket knife, but not sure how to get through all the security with that in his pocket.

Okey dokey then. Lots of different answers.

For those people that use cable ties, how do you cut them off? Where do you put your instrument of choice?

My husband ususally carries a pocket knife, but not sure how to get through all the security with that in his pocket.

I was wondering about the same thing!

I used cable ties once and nail clippers worked and I either carried them in my carry on or put them in the little pocket in front of the luggage that I didn't feel needed a lock.

I use TSA locks now because that is what I have and I've never had my luggage opened when I used the TSA locks or the cable ties - guess I've just been lucky. Then again I never have anything in my luggage that would be questionable or expensive as I carry the valuables with me.

I was wondering about the same thing!

I bring a pair of scissors in my checked luggage. Those could be used to cut off the ties for those of you that use them.

However I always use the TSA locks, have had my luggage opened a couple times by the airline but they always leave a note. I have never had my locks cut off by TSA.

I never put any valuables in my luggage, and I always lock it with TSA locks. I'm not trying to stop a really determined criminal mastermind - they get in anywhere they choose - but I want to keep random in-a-hurry-to-steal-something-or-deposit-something idiots out of my stuff!

I just flew this weekend and TSA did unlock my checked bag (I knew they would because I had some rolled up posters & disassembled frames packed and they probably looked suspicious) .. they left a note and relocked the locks. I didn't think to look at the lock to see if there was a flag or anything to indicate a key had been used.

Agreed. If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is merely decoration and does not serve as a deterrent or make it any more difficult to open your luggage. A zipper can be pried open in less than two seconds with a myriad of readily available items (pen, screw driver, pocket knife, fork etc.). A lock on a zippered suitcase merely advertises there is something of value inside without making it any more difficult to access. It would be akin to placing a lock through an envelope you drop in the mailbox.

Archived