1st time cruiser post-cruise report: Carnival to Caribbean (long)

ronmaple

Our family of four (me, DH and two sons, 14 and 11) just returned from a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Valor. CC was SO helpful before we left- I learned so much about what to expect, what to bring/not to bring, etc. SO I hope that I can pay it forward by offering my thoughts to any of you who are new to cruising, particularly if you are planning a Carnival cruise to the W. Caribbean :)

What we learned:

Things we brought that we didn't need:

-airline-size bottles of booze (easy to smuggle, but we didn't drink a single one)

-Air freshener

-Extension cord (note: some type of adapter is handy if you have something to plug in that has one fat and one skinny prong)

-Robe

Things we brought based on CC suggestions that were helpful:

- THAT HANGING SHOE CADDY THING- it was AWESOME. In our stateroom on the Valor (1108), there was metal "crown molding" (for lack of a better term) all around the room, that had holes in it: perfect for the hooks on our hanging shoe caddy. Great to stow all sorts of junk that would otherwise be cluttering and overwhelming our little cabin.

- CLOTHESPINS - particularly hanging ones that you can hang off of doorknobs, etc.

- POST-ITS: We used big post-its and stuck them on the mirror to let everyone know where we were

- A HIGHLIGHTER- my DH laughed at me, but I found it helpful to highlight the day's activities of interest.

Other things we learned:

WALKIE TALKIES NOT NECESSARY OR USEFUL.

- COVERUPS. Swimsuit coverups are where it's at. Folks live in them. Next time, I will bring a couple of extra coverups and leave most of my shorts at home.

- FORMAL WEAR- We were stunned by the shiny fancy outfits - folks really go all out for Elegant Nights! We aren't the type to dress in formal or cocktail attire on our vacation, so we dressed nicely and did fine. However, next time I will bring some kind of shirt or shawl with sequins. Just to punch it up a bit.

- FOOT POWDER- Nothing stinks up a stateroom faster than a teenager's gym shoes. Bought deodorant powder in Roatan. Saved our lives.

- LAUNDRY- Don't fool yourself. Although there is a laundromat on the ship, do you really want to spend ONE second of your VACATION doing laundry? We thought we would. Who were we kidding? Carnival offers to do a big paper bag full of laundry for $15. We didn't go for that, but next time we might.

- TIME ON SHORE - We learned that, if it appeared that we would have, say, from 9am to 5pm at a port, we should shave off an hour or more at either end. So an 8-hour port stay is really more like a 5.-6 hour port stay. PARTICULARLY at tender ports. Overall, we had a spectacular time on our cruise. That being said, the cattle call atmosphere when getting on the tender boat was our least favorite time of the cruise. Particularly getting back on the ship at Grand Cayman.

- PHOTOS - I read about the photos on the ship, but wasn't prepared for the rows of photographers waiting in front of assorted backdrops each evening. I don't typically like those kind of photos, but having them taken doesn't cost a thing and it was kind of fun (especially fun photo night). Buying prints can add up fast: here's what I will do next time: 1) Make the best of the "casual candids" - they're cheapest 2) Next - the "fun snaps" or whatever they call them- they're cheaper, too 3) The formal portraits: we didn't realize that they turned out to be $22 and 8x10. Too big, too expensive. But wait! You can order SMALLER COPIES which will put you back another $10, I guess. All to say that the "formal" portraits weren't really worth it- to us. But if this is your bag- a tip: take your formal portraits on the SECOND elegant night- you will be tanner.

EXCURSIONS: For the most part, don't book through Carnival. So much more expensive, and crowded. If you do a little research online ahead of time, you will find many reputable (read: they will get you back to your ship on time) outfits that will take you on the same excursions for less. In many instances, you can do NO research, get off the boat, and score an excursion on the spot! EXCEPTIONS: Long, all-day excursions (like to Tulum)- I would be nervous about getting back to the boat- AND the Amazing Cozumel Race- which I THINK (???) you can only book thru Carnival.

TIPPING: I don't really understand this. I read all over the place on CC that Room Service isn't included in our daily gratuity charge, but on the ship we were never instructed otherwise, SO we never tipped our room service folks. Was this wrong? Anyone? I was stumped. Also, at the end of the cruise, you are encouraged to tip your Maitre 'd which seemed really weird to us. It isn't passed along to the servers, it is just for the Maitre 'd. So we ignored that and gave our wonderful servers a nice "bonus" tip, as well as our awesome steward. I hope we did this right, but I don't know.

I'm sure I have other deep, meaningful insights but this post has been long enough!!! Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I can also share with you how we handled our excursions...

Alison

Most folks do tip room service delivery people...$1-2 depending on what they have to carry.

Unless the Maitre'd does something REALLY special for you, I wouldn't tip them....for what??? They are NOT low-paid "service" folks!

I loved the foot powder comment. I am going with a stinky footed teen so I will definately remember that!!

Why weren't the walkie talkies helpful. I am worried about staying in touch with my 14 year old. I don't think we'll be using our cell phones.

What type of clothes pins slip over door knobs?

Did you bring on water or soda? I am thinking about that and wondering if its really necessary.

What did your kids do all day?

Thanks for the post and the replies!!;)

-Air freshener

-

- FOOT POWDER- Nothing stinks up a stateroom faster than a teenager's gym shoes. Bought deodorant powder in Roatan. Saved our lives.

-

TIPPING: I don't really understand this. I read all over the place on CC that Room Service isn't included in our daily gratuity charge, but on the ship we were never instructed otherwise, SO we never tipped our room service folks. Was this wrong?

Alison

Not tipping the room service people to me is wrong. ... and you said you even read it was not included??!! ...but since no one made you tip, you choose not to. Ill let you decide if its wrong or not. I tip a lot of service people, thats why I bring $20 in ones. I dont need to be told to tip to tip them.

Fabreze in the shoes would have worked. so saying you did not need air freshner, but needed shoe deoderant ..seems like the same thing to me.

A lot is up to the person, like I would never use the over the door organizer. But then Im cruising mostly solo and invite a friend once in a while. I think those are maybe good for a whole family sharing a cabin??

But then I bring a lighted alarm clock and others say they dont need it, they dont care if they have a clock in the cabin or not.

Apmecruise- we heavily debated whether or not to bring walkie talkies and decided not to. Our friends brought them and said that they 1) don't actually work all the time (that may be because of the quality of the walkie talkies, tho) and 2) thier kids either didn't answer them, use them, or remember to carry them. All in all, they SEEM to be more trouble than they were worth. Interesting- I THOUGHT I would see EVERYONE walking around with walkie talkies, and we only saw two. We stayed in touch using big brightly colored post-it notes that we affixed on the mirror, and sometimes on the outside door. And, there are phones in the room, and phones around the ship, so someone could always call the room and leave a message. There are lots of ways to skin the communications cat. CLOTHESPINS WITH HOOKS: I found these at CVS: they are clips with hanger-like hooks on them. I just found them really handy. For example, we hung the kids club's daily schedules on them for the boys to see. I am wild for hooks, so that's just me. What can I say. Wondering if suction cup hooks would work on the mirrors. Going to try them next. WATER OR SODA: I WISH we would have brought our own! I hated paying for bottled water. WHAT KIDS DID ALL DAY: we have 11 and 14 year old boys. What ages are your kids? I know you have one who is 14. Our 14 year old was in heaven. He spent 1/2 of his time on the basketball court. His club, circle c, was specifically or 12-14 year olds, and he popped in for an activity now and then, but it seemed to me that the kids all hovered outside of the cool club o2. He ate whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. He hardly saw him, actually. He even stayed on the ship when we were on Roatan. Our 11 year old's club is designed for kids from 2-11 (!), but they have specific areas and activities for 9-11 year-olds. My 11 yr old is shy, not much of a joiner, so he met his posse of buddies at the arcade, or he hung out with us. He LOVED playing bingo with us, and the comedy club. Sorry for the long reply...

Firefly- Clearly, I messed up re: tipping the room service folks. I feel bad about that. We were very generous with our servers and steward, and next time I'll make sure that we have $$ handy for room service as well. I am not adverse to tipping.

Archived