How long before docking do you need to get up to see

kaseycamille

We have a balcony for the first time and want to watch the ship pulling into port each day. How long before the "official" docking time do we need to get up to be able to see the action? One hour? Two? And does the side of the ship we're on make a difference?

In case it makes any difference, we're on the Star Princess next week. Our ports are St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts and we're on the starboard side.

Thanks!

There's no hard and fast rule either about timing or what side of the ship will be facing the dock. I've found that quite often the captain makes an annoucement, or something could be in the daily newsletter about what time they will pick up the harbour pilot. You might also ask your cabin or dining steward as they notice this stuff week after week themselves and might be able to give you some "general" advice.

We have a balcony for the first time and want to watch the ship pulling into port each day. How long before the "official" docking time do we need to get up to be able to see the action? One hour? Two? And does the side of the ship we're on make a difference?

In case it makes any difference, we're on the Star Princess next week. Our ports are St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts and we're on the starboard side.

Thanks!

First, if you are interested in seeing the ship coming into an island, your balcony is not the place to be.

I like spending about two hours watching the ship approach the island from the upper deck. Many times, there will be a ship or two in front of your ship. It is an amazing experience.

You see that speck, or a couple of specks that are islands. You wonder which one you are approaching, and watch the specks become islands.

You see a cruise ship or two in front of yours, and follow them into port, watch them dock, and wonder how this massive thing you are on will find a place to dock.

And it happens.

Hard to describe, you really need to experience it.

On HAL ships, the Captain often gives a little talk each day (Voice from the Bridgde) and sometimes they'll tell you what time they expect to be at the 'pilot station'. Once pilot is aboard, you are near to docking as he helps the Captain take the ship into the harbor.

There is no predicting in advance what side of the ship will be 'to the dock'. We have gone on back-to-back cruises stopping at the same ports and one segment we docked port to the dock and next cruise, the exact same port we were starboard to the dock. There are a number of reasons for that including ship's maintenace.

As many cruises as we've taken, I still love watching us dock in the morning as well as leaving in the afternoon. If you aren't on the side of the ship to the dock, you won't see much. I like watching them both throw as well as 'loose' the lines.

Thanks everyone, for your help. SO it seems we'll be ok watching about an hour before the official docking time? I guess we'll start by seeing the view from our balcony and then heading up to the top if we can't see much. Going into St. Lucia though, we'll be up very early and sitting at the top..I'm so excited to see and take pics of the Pitons!

You can go to any open deck...... HAL ships have an aft pool which is open for viewing from port, aft and starboard sides.

Sometimes access to the bow is permitted.

An hour ahead of scheduled arrival is plenty.

You are asking about my favorite aspect of the entire cruise. I always check the daily program to learn what time they will embark the pilot. If it's not listed, I will ask at the 'desk' for them to call the bridge and find out for me. They always do.

Then it's up early for me. I love to be on the promenade to watch the pilot embark. Then it's up to the lido to grab a cup of steaming coffee, and then head topside to the highest observation deck. I am there with my binoculars around my neck, the coffee in one hand, and my little handheld GPS in the other, watching the sail in. I love the early morning predawn quietude atmosphere, along with some other like-minded shipmates.

It just doesn't get any better than that!:)

You can see the Pitons at St. Lucia in the afternoon when the ship leaves IF it goes to the other side of the island to pick up people who did the excrusion which ended there. It's a beautiful sight to see and on a clear day, truly breathtaking.

I don't know if your ship makes that stop the way HAL ships usually do but look out for it.

Usually I am too excited to sleep. I typically awake in the wee hours, grab my binoculars and head for the front of the ship.

On a QM2 voyage I stood on the forward observation deck and had a wonderful time watching the ship make her slow approach to St. Kitts. In the early morning hours of about 4:30 or 5:00 am you will see the twinkling lights of shore and the great mountains of the island.

It is wonderfully quiet, just the gentle lapping of the wake and balmy breeze and perhaps another liner floating along like a candelabra. It's all quite magical.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

I agree, this is the best time of the day.

If you like coffee, take a large mug (which I always forget and regret the first AM) and go to the forward indoor area. Every ship I've been on has one with comfortable chairs, usually a dance venue in the evening. There will be windows on all sides.

When you see a small boat head from the port to the ship, it's probably the pilot boat and you might want to go ourdoors on that side to watch it come alongside.

NOTE: The people you meet early in the day are all nice! Later they are just average.

I agree, this is the best time of the day.

If you like coffee, take a large mug (which I always forget and regret the first AM) and go to the forward indoor area. Every ship I've been on has one with comfortable chairs, usually a dance venue in the evening. There will be windows on all sides.

When you see a small boat head from the port to the ship, it's probably the pilot boat and you might want to go ourdoors on that side to watch it come alongside.

NOTE: The people you meet early in the day are all nice! Later they are just average.

The Crow's Nest (HAL), The Spinnaker (NCL), and others of the like are my backup for sail-in if the weather is inclement. The only problem is that they always leave too many lights on, and in the predawn, makes it for poor viewing, at least until daylight. On a couple of occasions, I was able to pursuade a sympathetic crewmember to at least dim the lights somewhat....:cool:

Then there is the issue with the shades being down at night, to prevent light from fouling the night vision of the watch crew in the bridge, below.

Archived