Rotterdam Flooding Problems Continue !!!

MI-DI

Just off the Rotterdam yesterday. First morning of the cruise, heard vacuum cleaner very early, turned out to be flooding down the hall on deck 6 cleaning up flooded staterooms around #6188. There were 7 to 11 cabins effected, according to who you listened to. Also, heard about people with AC problems and no hot water and backed up toilet issues.

Our stateroom was great, but the balcony was in bad need of maintenance.

Plumbing and A/C issues always raise the spectre of possible passenger misuse:

1. propping open balcony doors wreaks havoc for all others on the same A/C ventilation circuit, and

2. same goes for putting prohibited items down the toilet that also back them for everyone else on the plumbing circuit.

Hard to know what is HAL's internal maintenance problems and which ones are unfortunately passenger induced, but this is always a reminder how important it is to "play by the rules" for both balcony doors and plumbing disposals, even if you want to wear your tank top on formal nights. :eek:

We are just home from 30 days aboard Rotterdam to Polynesia in March in a Veranda Suite on Deck 6 and had none of the problems you mention. Nothing! Nada! It's another "mystery of the sea" that may possibly involve passenger factors.

Why do you say flooding problems "continue". They certainly did not "continue" from the March 4 to April 3 cruise!!!! Do you have some point to make?

RonJoan

Just curious, doesn't the cabin AC shut off when the veranda door is open? I know it works that way on some ships.

That would be a nice system but apparently according some ship experts here there are several units that may not even be next to each other or even on the same decks that comprise ventilation units that all work together - and act apparently as a fire security system as well so (please someone help out my weak memory here) so that you can shut down a part of this system to confine a fire from spreading from room to room through the vents.

And if a door is left open, all the cool air gets sucked out of the system through that one open door and others along the line then get nothing. This perhaps explains why some passengers report erratic room temperatures often saying the room was fine during the day but it was too hot at night to sleep - that possibly points to someone propping open their verandah door for fresh air at night, not knowing they just made a lot of other cabins miserable at the same time.

At least, this is how I best understood the explanation .... and the same circuit system also happening with the plumbing -- backed up in one cabin can cause far more problems up and down the circuit.

I hope the resident ship engineers here can do a better job explaining all of this -- it was a fascinating thread a few months back and I think we all learned a lot -- which at least got me thinking it is important to send out the reminders from time to time: don't prop open your balcony doors and don't dispose improperly anything down the toilet for the benefit of passengers you may never even see or meet many decks away.

I'm just off the same cruise. Our room was 7032, but I can tell you that there was a terrible mildew smell up the hall (around the 7010 area) and we saw plumbers, engineers, water soaked areas of carpet, etc. and heard water vacs pretty frequently over the 14 days.

I was on Deck 3, in a Lanai cabin, on the cruise that ended 4/17. There was a plumbing issue for the first 2-3 days (toilets were not flushing), and it got fixed completely by Day 4. No other issues for my cabin area. Great cruise! (I kept my balcony door closed, too!)

Archived