Power Strips

sjwoody1167

you can get them at the front office or ask your cabin stewards for one

i have read here where some people indicated that the front office ran out of them

also some people still took their own -- showed them to the cabin stewards and got approval to use their own

so -- just make certain that you take a new one if you choose to take your own

We take a power strip all the time, how are you going to charge all those gadgets that you have to have with out it?:)
From Know Before You Go:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I bring a "cube tap" or "triple tap" for the 115v outlet, and an adapter to plug my netbook into the 220v outlet.

Cabin will have a North American outlet and a European outlet. If your electrical thingy says something like 110v-225v you only need a plug adapter to use it.

Best kept secret on the ships is the SA cabins on the Westerdam had 7 North American outlets.

Otherwise we bring a Belkin Travel Surge Protector. Three outlets and 2 USB ports. No more than $25 at Best Buy.

I read on the HAL site that they only allow you to use their power strips. Does anyone know where I get one and if they are difficult to get? I have a bit of stuff to plug in. Thanks in advance.

Power strips (bars) are available at the Front Desk. There is only a limited supply, so first come, (upon boarding), first served! ;) A $25 deposit will be charged to your onboard account which will be refunded at the completion of your cruise upon the return of your power strip to the Front Desk! :)

We have always taken a four plug power strip ...
We also bring a 5-port power strip and have never had a problem.
We used to when they were allowed. How would you like to be the first person who caused a problem? HAL must have a reason for the rule. At the very least, please check with your cabin steward if yours is OK.

I have seen this subject come up every now and then. One idea I haven't seen or noticed is to use the electric shaver outlet in the bath room.

I used it on the Amsterdam. OK for AA NiMh battery charger.

We used to when they were allowed. How would you like to be the first person who caused a problem? HAL must have a reason for the rule. At the very least, please check with your cabin steward if yours is OK.

To be honest, until about a year ago I had never heard that HAL had a rule about it. Ours is out in the open so if the cabin steward has a concern, he could bring it up (not that he would). I am not an electrician but I can't imagine how plugging in iphones/ipads/cameras could create a problem. Now 4 hairdryers at once yes, that would draw much more current. Plus if HAL has them to borrow, I don't think there is anything about ours that would be different.

Kirk

One idea I haven't seen or noticed is to use the electric shaver outlet in the bath room.
On the Signature ships and the new bathrooms that are being installed as the S-class ships are being renovated, this outlet is all the way up against the ceiling, as part of the light fixture. This makes it pretty useless for anything that doesn't have a small plug, like a shaver. It's also pretty useless for anyone under 6 ft tall.

Plus if HAL has them to borrow, I don't think there is anything about ours that would be different.
I've read here that some power strips have surge suppressors that shunt power spikes to ground ... which would be the ship structure! :eek: Maybe that is what HAL is trying to avoid being used. Ask your steward or at the front desk if yours is okay.

To be honest, until about a year ago I had never heard that HAL had a rule about it. Ours is out in the open so if the cabin steward has a concern, he could bring it up (not that he would). I am not an electrician but I can't imagine how plugging in iphones/ipads/cameras could create a problem. Now 4 hairdryers at once yes, that would draw much more current. Plus if HAL has them to borrow, I don't think there is anything about ours that would be different.

Kirk

A few years ago I plugged a power strip into an outlet on a Celebrity ship shortly before leaving for muster. My wife needed to use our bathroom so that delayed us a couple of minutes. As we left the room I suddenly noticed a smell of something electrical burning. It was the power strip with nothing plugged into it, although the switch on the strip itself was in the "on" position. By the time a I ran back into the room smoke was just starting to pout out of the strip. I pulled the plug, carried it to the sink and ran water on it. My wife's bathroom break probably saved a major problem for us.

As far as HA's strips, they are probably different from our own and if HA wants them used, that is a safety measure that should be complied with.

They're free to use.

(just my opinion)

I read on the HAL site that they only allow you to use their power strips. Does anyone know where I get one and if they are difficult to get? I have a bit of stuff to plug in. Thanks in advance.

Supposedly from the front desk aboard ship or from your cabin steward. But since HAL obviously isn't going to have enough for everyone who wants one, we brought our own for our AK cruise and there was no problem. We also provided our own extension cord (my husband uses a CPAP).

A few years ago I plugged a power strip into an outlet on a Celebrity ship shortly before leaving for muster. My wife needed to use our bathroom so that delayed us a couple of minutes. As we left the room I suddenly noticed a smell of something electrical burning. It was the power strip with nothing plugged into it, although the switch on the strip itself was in the "on" position. By the time a I ran back into the room smoke was just starting to pout out of the strip. I pulled the plug, carried it to the sink and ran water on it. My wife's bathroom break probably saved a major problem for us.

As far as HA's strips, they are probably different from our own and if HA wants them used, that is a safety measure that should be complied with.

They're free to use.

(just my opinion)

Whoa...... :eek:

What did they say to you when you reported it?

How long until they had someone there checking for fire in the wall?

But since HAL obviously isn't going to have enough for everyone who wants one, ...
I think every cabin should have an approved one in place. It would cost a lot less than hair dryers or CD players, and solve the problem of people bringing possible bad ones.

I think every cabin should have an approved one in place. It would cost a lot less than hair dryers or CD players, and solve the problem of people bringing possible bad ones.

That's an excellent idea and could probably easily be done during drydocks.

However, in this age of cutbacks, I doubt HAL would spend the money to install them. I do think that with so many passengers using CPAPs, charging ipads, laptops, cameras, smart phones etc, HAL should have available several hundred more than they do.

I also think it would help HAL be more realistic about the number needed if they had an online reservation system for the Power Strips as part of the registration process.

... I plugged a power strip into an outlet on a Celebrity ship shortly before leaving for muster. As we left the room I suddenly noticed a smell of something electrical burning. It was the power strip with nothing plugged into it, although the switch on the strip itself was in the "on" position. ...

Very scary situation for you. Good thing it happened before you left the cabin.

There is another issue at play here too - how many of us have had our appliances/cords checked by a licenced electrician since purchase? Not many I suspect.

Incorporating a few more double power points in the cabins during upgrades be cheaper in the long run and a lot less trouble the powerboards all over the place. Commonplace is it now is, we tend to forget that electricity can be lethal.

They're free to use.

(just my opinion)

With a $25 deposit! ;)

I think every cabin should have an approved one in place.
That's an excellent idea and could probably easily be done during drydocks.
One problem is that without the $25 deposit too many would disappear. They could be charged to the guest's credit card after the fact, like a missing bathrobe, but it would be a nuisance to keep replacing them.

Archived