Missing Port Embarkations

Karlie1

I know if you miss your return to ship at specific time , the ship will leave without you. What can you do. For instance, most cruisers don't take their passports ashore or Credit Cards. For whatever reason, you miss the ship. If you have cash or CC and not passport you still can't leave. I have always been very Creative, but I'm at a loss. Anybody have first hand knowledge ?:(

I know if you miss your return to ship at specific time , the ship will leave without you. What can you do. For instance, most cruisers don't take their passports ashore or Credit Cards. For whatever reason, you miss the ship. If you have cash or CC and not passport you still can't leave. I have always been very Creative, but I'm at a loss. Anybody have first hand knowledge ?:(

Many ships hold the passports and if you are not back they will give them to the port agent. Others will get them out of your safe and give them to the port agent.

Keith

The first rule is NEVER to miss the ship!!! The 2nd rule is to always obey rule 1!!!

I can't imagine anyone NOT taking a credit card ashore, unless they're just walking off the ship and then standing right outside the ship's entrance!

I agree with rule 1&2. Example majority of experienced cruiser do not book tours through ship..I'm in Belize and use non-ship excursion to dive somewhere. On the way back to Port boat breaks down. What do you do? I didn't book any shore excursions in Belize for that reason. Again WHAT IF??:cool:

Many times, if guests have not returned to the ship and have not contacted the ship, security will check the cabin safe to see if passports are stored there. If so, they will give them to Port Agent and (s)he, will give them to the late returning guests.

ALWAYS bring the Port Agent contact information ashore with you. Be certain you know the name and telephone/address. On HAL ships, it is always printed in the port information sheet prepared and distributed to all guests for each port. It is always available on the gangway as your leave.

BRING a credit card with you always when you go ashore. It's inconceivable you would leave the ship without one. IMO

You would notify the nearest consulate or embassy.

It may take a couple of days, but, you will be able to get back home. Now, for expenses,,,,, you're going to have to pay somehow. Either a loan, or get money wired to you.

The first rule is NEVER to miss the ship!!! The 2nd rule is to always obey rule 1!!!

I can't imagine anyone NOT taking a credit card ashore, unless they're just walking off the ship and then standing right outside the ship's entrance!

I agree. We stay not too far away from the pier if we're not on a ship's excursion. And try to be back on the ship at least an hour or so before sailaway.

agree with your rules

we always have a credit card with us

Ditto. Credit card, photo ID, copy of passport so have its number. And, if not booking an excursion through ship, go to the CC port thread and learn about private tours and their reliability.

My experience is that the reliable private tour operators understand the rules and will do everything possible to get you back to the ship. In fact, we've always gotten back with lots of time to spare. After all these companies want the cruise business, and if their customers miss the ship, they'll lose a lot of it.

Archived