After Disney cruise, what lines cater to children?

karajeboo

Just back from 7 night on Disney Magic and we've caught the cruising bug! I would love to sail Disney every year but it is just so expensive. With that said, what cruise line would work well for a 10 year old girl? She's very outgoing and loved spending time in Oceaneers Lab on Disney Magic. We also gave her sign out/in privledges so she really had a lot of independence on this ship. Is there another cruise line out there that would make me comfortable allowing a 10 or 11 year old to roam freely?

RCI and Carnival both have great kid's programs...and NCL, too. Any of those will have alot for your child to do, and you, as well! At 10 years old, all of the above mentioned lines will be fine for your daughter to come and go within the parameters you set for her.

I think you need to seperate the marketing from reality.

The way you should look at a line or anything is what they offer compared to price and your priorities. Even within a cruiseline the size of the ship and its amenities make a difference. IMHO all the major lines and their larger ships have enough to keep most kids entertained. As to "cater" only you can decide how much you pay versus what you get is "catered."

Disney markets a special angle around the "mouse" children and the ambience its a huge part of how they can charge a lot more for the little touchs the give.

Our children have enjoyed Carnival, Princess too!

Just back from 7 night on Disney Magic and we've caught the cruising bug! I would love to sail Disney every year but it is just so expensive. With that said, what cruise line would work well for a 10 year old girl? She's very outgoing and loved spending time in Oceaneers Lab on Disney Magic. We also gave her sign out/in privledges so she really had a lot of independence on this ship. Is there another cruise line out there that would make me comfortable allowing a 10 or 11 year old to roam freely?

Was this your first cruise? JMHO - but, I think sometimes people get the impression that the best and only cruiseline for children is Disney. We've been on 30+ cruises(29 with our girls - now ages 21 and 6). I've only ever had one complaint about a kids club. The rest have all been fabulous and our girls have had a great time on all cruiselines.

I do prefer the actual facilities on some rather than others. Example, for ages 2-7, the secluded Dinosaur slide and pool area on the NCL Dawn is hard to beat. Princess tends to have fewer children, so it seems like my little girl gets lots of attention and has a great time being a "Princess Pelican". The splash zones on RCCL are great for younger children. We were recently on the NCL EPIC. If traveling with kids - I think this ship is hard to beat. Definately the most fun we've ever had.

As far a safety for children walking around on their own - that's a personal judgement call. For us - our older daughter was 13 before she was allowed to venture out without a "buddy". I don't think any cruiseline has a "creep" detection system - so you never know who may be on any line.

I would say after Disney RCCI without a doubt if for no other reason than the DREAMSWORKS experience on board Oasis/Allure/Liberty. Also fact Oasis and Allure have true nurseries where they will take children 6 months old to 3 years, and change diapers to boot! LOL!

Worldspan

129 cruises

Was this your first cruise? JMHO - but, I think sometimes people get the impression that the best and only cruiseline for children is Disney. We've been on 30+ cruises(29 with our girls - now ages 21 and 6). I've only ever had one complaint about a kids club. The rest have all been fabulous and our girls have had a great time on all cruiselines.

I do prefer the actual facilities on some rather than others. Example, for ages 2-7, the secluded Dinosaur slide and pool area on the NCL Dawn is hard to beat. Princess tends to have fewer children, so it seems like my little girl gets lots of attention and has a great time being a "Princess Pelican". The splash zones on RCCL are great for younger children. We were recently on the NCL EPIC. If traveling with kids - I think this ship is hard to beat. Definately the most fun we've ever had.

As far a safety for children walking around on their own - that's a personal judgement call. For us - our older daughter was 13 before she was allowed to venture out without a "buddy". I don't think any cruiseline has a "creep" detection system - so you never know who may be on any line.

Yes, this was our first cruise and we've been bitten by the bug!!! But we are huge Disney fans already, so not sure if we love cruising or DCL......

We love the RCCL Oasis and Allure that we've seen, but for those prices, we could cruise DCL again..... I know that other lines have great kids programs, I just want that one that is special, kwim? And having an only child, I am looking for one where she will meet lots of other kids. I know that Disney offers this - there are a bazillion kids on any cruise. While it sounds gret to have a cruise with fewer kids, for our family that is not good because our daughter would be bored..... A younger child might like one on one attentin with counselors but at 10 or 11 years old, ours wants a bit more independence and the opportunity to meet new kids her age.....

We are a Carnival familly, so I can only give my opinion of that line. Our children are always more than happy with the kid-friendly amenities and activities aboard the CCL ships. Extra bonus...we as parents are always happy with the value/price of our vacations! :D

We are a Carnival familly, so I can only give my opinion of that line. Our children are always more than happy with the kid-friendly amenities and activities aboard the CCL ships. Extra bonus...we as parents are always happy with the value/price of our vacations! :D

We are also a family (like the OP) who just got back from a Disney cruise (on the new Disney Dream). We LOVED it! we want to cruise again, but are looking for a cruise line that caters to families with family activities. I have read about the RCI ships mentioned and the NCL Epic. THey seem great. Does carnival have family based activities as well? Thanks for the input!

We are also a family (like the OP) who just got back from a Disney cruise (on the new Disney Dream). We LOVED it! we want to cruise again, but are looking for a cruise line that caters to families with family activities. I have read about the RCI ships mentioned and the NCL Epic. THey seem great. Does carnival have family based activities as well? Thanks for the input!

Carnival has camp programs for kids of all ages and also activities that families can participate in together. A few of our favorites:

~ Laser tag

~ Scavenger Hunts

~ Tournaments for bean bag toss, ping pong, etc.

~ Family dance party

We also enjoy the mini-golf and love the Waterworks on the ship's it is available on! There are also things like build a bear workshops, trivia games, line dance/towel folding classes, etc. depending on the ages of your kids!

thanks! How would you rate the shows for familes? I really appreciate the input! Any favorite Carnival Ships?

I also forgot to mention that there is family comedy show most nights (4 nights on a 7 day cruise). There is usually one show that is something along the lines of a magician/illusionist ~ our kids love this sort of show. There are two "big production" shows per 7 day cruise that is music and dancers. Our daughter LOVES these, our son is usually interested about half the time.....so is the life of a boy. LOL

We have enjoyed each ship we have sailed on, but would say our favorites have been the Legend (Spirit Class) and the Glory (Conquest Class).

Hope this helps! :)

I also forgot to mention that there is family comedy show most nights (4 nights on a 7 day cruise). There is usually one show that is something along the lines of a magician/illusionist ~ our kids love this sort of show. There are two "big production" shows per 7 day cruise that is music and dancers. Our daughter LOVES these, our son is usually interested about half the time.....so is the life of a boy. LOL

We have enjoyed each ship we have sailed on, but would say our favorites have been the Legend (Spirit Class) and the Glory (Conquest Class).

Hope this helps! :)

thank you!!!! I really appreciate your input!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
thanks! How would you rate the shows for familes? I really appreciate the input! Any favorite Carnival Ships?

I just read a trip report from a friend who actually got up in the middle of a "family" show and was heckled by the comedian. She, along with quite a few other families, all left because the "family" entertainment was very unfamily..... Luckily it went over the heads of her kids......

Archived