I will never complain about RCI food again

Me my DH and DD decided to try an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana. we stayed at the palm real which claims to have the finest restaurants even for the most discerning People. what a disappointment !! I have in the past been a critic of RC food. However royals windjammer is better than this resorts "finest" restaurant. I kept wishing I was on a cruise. We are counting down the days until August when we cruise again. Also the resort was $2000 per person. The drinks were also very low grade. My advice keep cruising

We've done several AI in Mexico. Puerto Vallarta, 5 golden apple, Riu property, and the food was not as good at the Windjammer, and there was litterally no entertainment in the evenings! Same with the AI we stayed at (6 apple) in Riviera Maya. I drink very little. This is one of the reasons we cruise. Great food, Great entertainment, Great scenery, need I go on!

This is funny. We did an AI in Punta Cana 2 summers ago. All the reviews I had read prior to going raved about the food - said the breakfast buffet was the best they had ever had. Our first morning I turned to my husband and said "clearly all of those reviewers have never been on a cruise" :eek: The only thing good about it was the drinks being included - cut down on the kids' bar bill :rolleyes:

I have never understood all the negative comments about RC's food anyway. When you take in consideration the food that is being cooked and prepared for so many people I think they do an awesome job. I am the pickest eatter you will know but I think they do a job they dont get credit for.

It cant be easy fixing so many meals, so many sides so many..everything and have it ready all at one time hot and served. I just dont think the crew gets enough credit for the hard work they do. While no meal may be perfect and some times things go wrong I have always felt it was sad to hear so many complain about the food.

I think if those who complained worked just one day behind those doors they would change how they feel. But then again, i know you cant please everyone but I am. I think they do a fine job and cant wait to be there in 3 weeks.

I have done several Royal cruises; I have also been to over 6 all inclusive resorts, including Punta Cana, Puerta Vallerta, Cabo, Turks, and Cancun. It's buffet food, and its just ok. Royal's food is way better, both in MDR and Windjammer.

I tell people all the time that the food at an AI is generally buffet fare. If you want to go to one of the more upscale resorts, you'll pay a pretty penny. And unless you drink, you are basically paying for the alcohol.

I think Celebrity offers the best option. A fabulous cruise experience with excellent food and service, and you can opt for the Alcohol Beverage packages, thereby making it an AI in essence.

We stayed at the Catalonia Bavaro in Punta Cana two years ago. I am not exaggerating when I say it was the absolute worst food ever. There wasn't even one good thing we ate for the entire week. The only saving grace was the fact that drinks were unlimited and included. Unfortunately, so was the food.

Our meals on the AOS several weeks ago were all top-notch and the service was outstanding. Anyone who complains about food on RCCL has rocks in their head...and they should try an all-inclusive to see what bad food really is.

In the past 3 years, I have been to two all-inclusives and just got back from Oasis of the Seas. Our AI to Punta Cana was nice, but I would equate the food to the Windjammer. We were there 7 nights, and the food was virtually the same each night. Entertainment was minimal.

However, in Costa Rica, the food was good. They had different restaurants, as well as the buffet, and I would say their food was on a par with the MDR. Not as good as the specialty restaurants. Again, entertainment was seriously lacking.

We have stayed at one of the most upscale and ritziest AI's on Grenada and my husband and I about died!....the kids did seriously almost died!...they lived on french fries the whole week cause there was NOTHING that was appeaing. We are NOT picky eaters at all!...we were served food that I guess appeals to guests from the UK, as we were like the only Americans there! Dumplings (fried), lamb that was soggy and in gross sauces, and grits! Liver was prominant in various forms and everything was dressed in sauces or fried. All veggies were cooked to death and the desserts were the grossest thing you have ever seen! pudding and tapioca with whipped cream that was from goats (eeeewwww! and the milk was NASTY!)

We loved Grenada...and its close to the top of South America so you would think there would be maybe a little influence from their culture. NOT. We will never return to an AI there...found out that they cater to UK folks and we couldnt choke that food down if you paid me again. We lost weight....good for me but my son came home a stick figure!

Give me the Jammer of Wind ANYDAY!....look forward to it actually, in just 3 short weeks.

BTW, have been to a few other Ai's in Riviera Maya area south of cancun that were quite nice and much improved food, however, as mentioned....you will pay a pretty penny. You need to go super upscale AI to get decent food.

[quote name=Oscar1410;28893322 we were served food that I guess appeals to guests from the UK' date=' as we were like the only Americans there! Dumplings (fried), lamb that was soggy and in gross sauces, and grits! Liver was prominant in various forms and everything was dressed in sauces or fried. All veggies were cooked to death and the desserts were the grossest thing you have ever seen! pudding and tapioca with whipped cream that was from goats (eeeewwww! and the milk was NASTY!)

found out that they cater to UK folks and we couldnt choke that food down if you paid me again.

[/quote]

OMG please tell me you are not serious!! Do you honestly think that this would appeal to us Brits??? :mad:

I knew I would get flamed for that!....I know, I know..its a serious overstatement of UK tastes but all I can tell you is....

#1 depending on where in the UK you are from, the food tastes vary.

#2 My DH is 50% English (mother 100% brit and loves all that weird gross food).....obvious that you have a better sense of food so thank goodness!

#3 That is what the kitchen staff kept telling us when we tried to get better/different food and everyone thought we were form England because apparently NO ONE from the states comes to the Grenadian by Rex. Check it out!....

I 100% appologize for sterotyping. I want to go visit my inlaw relatives someday and have a great desire to visit the land and history, so I am relieved that other folks have better tastes there.

Even my husband grew up on stewed meat, overdone veggies and mush.

He hates all of that and super glad he married someone with better taste buds for asian and italian and mexican food...with spice!

.....he still is addicted to tea though....was served it from age 2 with milk in it of course :D

Oscar1410, you were not flamed. Someone disagreed, said so and without malice. Personally I take a flame as a personal attack.

With that being said this is a flame. Take you head out of your *** and instead of taking what you believe to be true, experience what is fact.

I can only believe that your husband is rather old, tapioca was not something that was prevelenat beyond the 60's.

The vast majority of dishes you mention are not UK dishes and would not be the norm here.

This fried thing, have you been sniffing crack? This is something that Brits generally look at the US for but generally don't state, so as to not offend.

Admittedly my mothers generation would have overcooked vegetables and unfortunately we had to endure it. Fortunately this occurs no longer.

Please take your condescending inaccurate beliefs and place them where the sun doesn't shine.

Many thanks

I have never understood all the negative comments about RC's food anyway. When you take in consideration the food that is being cooked and prepared for so many people I think they do an awesome job. I am the pickest eatter you will know but I think they do a job they dont get credit for.

It cant be easy fixing so many meals, so many sides so many..everything and have it ready all at one time hot and served. I just dont think the crew gets enough credit for the hard work they do. While no meal may be perfect and some times things go wrong I have always felt it was sad to hear so many complain about the food.

I think if those who complained worked just one day behind those doors they would change how they feel. But then again, i know you cant please everyone but I am. I think they do a fine job and cant wait to be there in 3 weeks.

My sentiments exactly! Usually I don't care for buffet food, but the Windjammer is our favourite place to eat.

We have given thought to AI's in the past, but knowing now that many consider the windjammer to be superior I think we'll change our minds.

Not to say we wouldn't go to a nice resort hotel on a beautiful island and perhaps eat in local restaurants.

Sorry to those who love the buffets on ships, I just can't understand the love of them. It's somewhat edible and there is certainly quite a variety and you can eat all you want. But good food...not. The best I can say for the buffet is I don't have to cook it or clean up afteward. But I do have to fetch it. I suppose I'll forever be a buffet snob.

NathUK, growing up in the 50's/60's I had to endure overcooked veggies, chipped beef on toast, cheap cuts of meat with gross sauces and other attrocities I'd never cook today. My mother made tapioca pudding at least once a week.

No matter where you live, people make assumptions. Just yesterday I read a poster comment on possible airport closing in LA because of smog (saying it would be fog in other areas). Obviously they have not been here in years, we no longer have the horrid smog that used to plague us. The hippie trends of the 60's are still associated with the area, yet I rarely see anyone with "laid-back" lifestyle of the hippie era with the exception of homeless druggies. We have the reputation of having a lot of crazy people, yet read the news and see all the weird stuff that happens all over the states. The vast majority are people who have jobs, kids, mortgages...just like any other state in the US only with better weather.

Ya just can't put everyone into one nutshell no matter where they live.

I'm interested in trying an AI, but when friends have gone, I just haven't wanted to pony up the dollars those things cost ... even the lower-tier ones. I mean, I don't mind having some drinks, but I can't spend 7 days bombed out of my mind and I don't want to pay so much that I'd feel obligated to drink to feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

I have been on 2 all Inclusives and 18 cruises. The cruises win hands down. The food on the AI was not even remotely comparable to cruise food. As someone else said the drinks unless you asked were from substandard booze and the entertainment if you want to call it that sucked.The service was terrible and air conditioning did not work properly on one of them (In Cancun).

The only way I would ever take another AI would be if it were totally free including airfare.

Steve

I am leaving in 7 days for an AI in Mexcio. I have been looking forward to it for, but am still worried that the food will not be as good as a cruise. I was at the same resort 7 years ago and if memory serves well, it is not as good. Oh well, free drinks is a perk that I defiantley won't see on a cruise!

Archived