HAL Newbie Questions

DeRon

We've never sailed Holland and I have some questions.

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator?

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others?

How long does the evening dining take for two, for "anytime dining"?

Are there DVD players in the Staterooms?

Is there a movie theater on board?

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)?

I probably have more, but this is all I can think of now. Thanks!

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator?

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others?

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)?

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator? mini bar in most staterooms and it is stocked (you pay)

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others? a lot of people like to go to the Lido to the smoking side.

Are there DVD players in the Staterooms?yes, and HAL has a good supply of DVD's that you can borrow.

Is there a movie theater on board?absolutely and free popcorn

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)?yes, with lots of coffee types and pastries.

Look above - I tried to answer most of your questions, but I have not done anytime dining so I can't do that one. Let us know what ship you are on and what cabin class and we can confirm the fridge question (it depends on certain ships).

Feel free to ask all the questions you want - we are only happy to help. Welcome to HAL - we love the line :)

Awesome! I am leaning hard toward the Superior Verandah on the Westerdam.

Also, are the pools salt or fresh water?

And when you say there is smoking on one side of the Lido, is that just at aft? Or at the middle pool as well? I'm not a smoker, but enjoy a cigar about once a year..ha!

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator? This depends on the ship. On the newest 6 ships all cabins have them, stocked. On the oldest 8 ships only cabins with verandas have them.

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others? No cigar bars on any ships. Cigars and pipes may only be smoked on outside decks.

How long does the evening dining take for two, for "anytime dining"? This varies, but typically about 90 minutes.

Are there DVD players in the Staterooms? Yes.

Is there a movie theater on board? There's always someplace that movies witll be shown, but the place varies with the class of ship. Some have a small (35 seat) dedicated theater, some use a larger multi-use location. What ship(s) are you on or looking at?

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)? Yes. It's called the Explorations Cafe. The location varies by class of ship.

Tell us what ship(s) you are interested in for more specific info.

How long does the evening dining take for two, for "anytime dining"? Anytime dining takes the same amount of time as dining at an assigned time. You get the same menu & service. You just decide what time you dine. You go as fast or as slow as you like.

Is there a movie theater on board? Most of the ships show movies in one of the theatres.

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)? Yes! Tasty treats and great coffee, but NOT free. there is a charge. Capuccino & Lattes are FREE in dining room at meals.

Hopefully I've answered the questions left unanswered. I'm sure many more people will offer opinions/advice.

We didn't get charged for the pasties. They have the best cinnamon rolls in the morning and they didn't offer them in the lido only in the cafe (get there early they go fast), however sometimes if you request them the night before for breakfast room service they deliver.

Oh, and how much to use the spa facilities like the hydro pool and steam sauna? Thanks for everyones help!

I've been asking and learning these same things in the last days. Off on the Westerdam in Dec.

-Cigars under the stars at the aft pool either every night, most nights or at least once per cruise (the answers varied).

-Dinner can take from 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depends it seems on when, how many and if you let the waiter know if you have an anticipated pace.

- Spa has a themal suite and hydro-pool. You can buy a day pass $40 or a weekly which I've heard cost $199 for a couple for a 7 day cruise.

- Coffee bar is in the explorers lounge at the top of the ship with to purchase coffee drinks and free pastries. Note also that HAL serves Cap and Espresso for free in the dining room.

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator? Yes. Stocked with soda & small bottles of various alcoholic drinks.

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others? There are smoking areas on deck. You can also smoke in the Sports Bar.

How long does the evening dining take for two, for "anytime dining"? Sometimes it's hard to get a table for 2. It usually takes 1.5 hrs.

Are there DVD players in the Staterooms? Yes. You can also request free DVD's to view in your room.

Is there a movie theater on board? Yes. Very comfortable chairs & popcorn

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)? Yes. The specialty coffees are at an extra fee and the pastries are free.

Welcome to HAL. You'll have a great cruise.

- Coffee bar is in the explorers lounge at the top of the ship with to purchase coffee drinks and free pastries.
No, it's the Explorations Cafe, and it's only "at the top of the ship" on five ships: Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam. The Explorers Lounge is entirely different. :)

No, it's the Explorations Cafe, and it's only "at the top of the ship" on five ships: Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam. The Explorers Lounge is entirely different. :)

Thanks for the correction.

Is there a mini bar in the Staterooms, or do you have to stock your own refrigerator? Yes:

The "No Host" mini bar consists of:

These are all airline size bottles 1.75 ounces

2 Beefeater Gins - $4.95

1 Johnny Walker Red Lable - $4.95

1 Bicardi Rum - $4.95

1 VSOP Courvoisier - $4.95

1 Smirnoff Vodka - $4.95

1 Vendange Chardonnay - 187 ml - $9

1 Vendange Cabernet - 187 ml - $9

1 split Henkell Champagne - $8.50

1 Red Bull - $3.50

1 Bloody Mix - $2.50

2 regular cokes - $1.95

2 diet cokes - $1.95

1 tonic water - $1.95

1 Club soda - $1.95

1 sprite - $1.95

1 Heineken - $3.75

1 Miller Sharps (non alcoholic) - $3.75

1 Miller Lite - $3.25

2 Perrier water - $2.95

2 one liter bottled water - $2.95

Is there a cigar bar on the ship? Any good place to enjoy a cigar without offending others? Sorry it is gone -- replaced with Exlorations Cafe, Library and Internet Cafe -- but each night there is smoking under the stars at 9 pm at the aft pool

Are there DVD players in the Staterooms? all staterooms have a dvd player

Is there a movie theater on board? on the westerdam there is no dedicated movie room or what is known as the wajang theater or screening room

on this ship movies are usually held in the hudson room or half moon room -- sometimes they are held in the queens lounge

Is there any kind of International Cafe with coffees and pastries (like on Princess)? well -- not quite an international cafe -- but there is the Explorations cafe -- you pay for special coffees and teas and get a free pasrty

we have sailed quite a few days on this ship

You didn't say which ship you were considering.

On the S- and R-class ships, the inside and outside cabins do not have a fridge; all other cabins do. On the Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature ships every cabin has a fridge.

The Sea View Bar (aft on Lido Deck) is the only place I know of where cigars can be smoked. Cigars Under the Stars is held there at night.

As far as I know, cigars can't be smoked indoors on any ship. It's possible you can smoke cigars in the Oak Room on the Noordam.

The 1 1/2 hours given by JJPacer is on target. It could take as long as 2 hours.

There will be some venue for movies, but where will vary on the different classes of ship. On some ships the movie theatre is the Wajang/Culinary Arts Center room. On other ships movies are shown in a dedicated theatre.

Awesome! I am leaning hard toward the Superior Verandah on the Westerdam.

Also, are the pools salt or fresh water?

someone replied, salt water, but they were all fresh water pools when we were on the Westerdam, I haven't heard that things had changes. Actually, the fresh water pools is the reason we prefer HAL and Princess!

Just got off westerdam yesterday--fresh water pools! About 2 hours for anytime dining, movies were in queens lounge each day, DVD player in room (and you can select from their library. They let you select from a list in your cabin and order from there, then go pick them up. or bring your own!!). All Westerdam cabins have a fridge; we took the stuff out to keep our wine cold.

others have posted info on coffee and cigars.

good luck and have a great cruise

ML

Archived