Roll Call-Silver Spirit-Voyage 5137, Barbados to Fort Lauderdale, December 11, 2011

ScottToronto

Good evening ;)

Anyone joining us on our next Silversea voyage aboard the Silver Spirit. Voyage 5137, December 11-20, 2011. Barbados to Fort Lauderdale.

Would be great to meet up onboard. This will be our 18th voyage with Silversea but our first on the Spirit.

Cheers,

ScottToronto:)

Hi Scott. We'll be with you. Can't wait. We've been on Seabourn a number of times. We wanted to try something new. It's our first time on SS. Heard good things about SS. The itinerary looks great. Looking forward to meeting you.

Good evening ;)

Anyone joining us on our next Silversea voyage aboard the Silver Spirit. Voyage 5137, December 11-20, 2011. Barbados to Fort Lauderdale.

Would be great to meet up onboard. This will be our 18th voyage with Silversea but our first on the Spirit.

Cheers,

ScottToronto:)

Not to echo Cuddles115--an almost peerless soubriquet--we are on verge of taking the SS plunge after several Seabourn cruises. Although caution says never to fly into port of embarkation on the same day, we are pondering flying MIA to BVI on the December 11th. The AA flight arrives on the island at 2:25, and SS says that as long as we alert the ship, they'll take us on board any time before sailaway at 11:00. This avoids a stay in Barbados, which is our preference. But, as more experienced hands, do you think it is a safe bet? And, I would be grateful any tips or advice about SS that first timers would benefit from.

Good evening writer100,

I would suggest flying into Barbardos one day early. I would personally find it less stressful knowing I don't have to worry about flight cancellations, delays etc. We are staying at the Barbados Hilton. It's a lovely hotel on a great beach and reasonably priced for Barbados. This way you can board the Silver Spirit in the early afternoon and enjoy lunch onboard.

Look forward to meeting you at the Hilton or on the ship. You are going to love the service on Silversea.

Bon Voyage!

ScottToronto.:)

We are just about to reserve B2B cruises FLL - Barbados - FLL and look forward to seeing everyone on board. We've sailed on the Spirit before and would be happy to answer questions.

My preference is to arrive at least a day before departure so that luggage is assured of being there. We will fly into FLL the day before our departure just to be sure.

Writer 100: We have been assured by our TA, SS and American Airlines that there would be "no problem" in getting to the ship in plenty of time. But, keeping the old saying, "the best laid plans....." in mind, I also am a little concerned on getting in the same day as the sailing. Hopefully, there won't be any hang ups. There's another AA flight from Miami in the evening that gets in before Spirit sailaway. I've also been checking the AA flight from Miami(#1921). It has always left late waitng for transferring passengers.

Sott: Looks like we have a good group of CCers on Board.

Not to echo Cuddles115--an almost peerless soubriquet--we are on verge of taking the SS plunge after several Seabourn cruises. Although caution says never to fly into port of embarkation on the same day, we are pondering flying MIA to BVI on the December 11th. The AA flight arrives on the island at 2:25, and SS says that as long as we alert the ship, they'll take us on board any time before sailaway at 11:00. This avoids a stay in Barbados, which is our preference. But, as more experienced hands, do you think it is a safe bet? And, I would be grateful any tips or advice about SS that first timers would benefit from.

Writer 100: We have been assured by our TA, SS and American Airlines that there would be "no problem" in getting to the ship in plenty of time. But, keeping the old saying, "the best laid plans....." in mind, I also am a little concerned on getting in the same day as the sailing. Hopefully, there won't be any hang ups. There's another AA flight from Miami in the evening that gets in before Spirit sailaway. I've also been checking the AA flight from Miami(#1921). It has always left late waitng for transferring passengers.

No way, no how am I ever going to count on flying in on the day of the cruise again. Did that once and almost missed the cruise and made the ship with about 45 minutes "heart attack" minutes to go. Airlines can say anything they want to, probably with their fingers crossed behind their back, but we got hit first by a weather delay and then by broken equipment on the back-up flight. Our SS cruise out of Barcelona actually starts with the first night actually being a full overnight in Barcelona and we're still going to fly in a day before, partially to sightsee and partially because we just don't want to take the chance.

We just did that flight two weeks ago no problem at all the ship leaves 11:00 . Bad weather is no issue at all unless it snows here in Miami :eek: . They flight goes everyday and never has a problem.

We just did that flight two weeks ago no problem at all the ship leaves 11:00 . Bad weather is no issue at all unless it snows here in Miami :eek: . They flight goes everyday and never has a problem.

Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way, no how am I ever going to count on flying in on the day of the cruise again. Did that once and almost missed the cruise and made the ship with about 45 minutes "heart attack" minutes to go. Airlines can say anything they want to, probably with their fingers crossed behind their back, but we got hit first by a weather delay and then by broken equipment on the back-up flight.QUOTE]

Randy,

The extra one or two days also allows for any late arrival luggage to catch up with you before you cruise. I always have at least one night in port pre-cruise and sometimes two if I want to see the embarkation city some.

In Copenhagen we had a two night pre-cruise and my luggage didn't arrive, and never did until 6 days into the cruise when it caught up with me. Sure am glad it wasn't my wife's luggage that got lost.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon Herman the cat.

I have sailed in the Caribbean with Silversea this time of year many times but this will be our first time on the Spirit. It's been on the Shadow and Whisper.

We are looking forward to discovering the new ship. Heard lots of mixed reviews, will be able to judge for myself. I've got around 150 days with Silversea and love the line. It's the staff that make the difference for us.

Hope to meet all of you onboard. We are staying at the Barbardos Hilton one night pre-cruise.

Does anyone know any of the staff onboard?

Maitre D

Hotel Director

Cruise Consultant

Head Waiters

Regards from Canada,

ScottToronto

Good afternoon Herman the cat.

I have sailed in the Caribbean with Silversea this time of year many times but this will be our first time on the Spirit. It's been on the Shadow and Whisper.

We are looking forward to discovering the new ship. Heard lots of mixed reviews, will be able to judge for myself. I've got around 150 days with Silversea and love the line. It's the staff that make the difference for us.

Hope to meet all of you onboard. We are staying at the Barbardos Hilton one night pre-cruise.

Does anyone know any of the staff onboard?

Maitre D

Hotel Director

Cruise Consultant

Head Waiters

Regards from Canada,

ScottToronto

We were on the Spirit this past December. Our first impression was mixed--for example, we walked into La Terrazza for lunch after embarkation and felt the ceilings were a bit low (and we are not tall people). We just found it to be different from the Shadow (the only other SS ship we had been on) and different from what we expected. We also didn't like the vessel sinks and faucets in the cabins. I'm sure there have been a ton of posts on this subject--they just take getting used to. The above being said, over the course of the next few days we grew to LOVE the ship. So, I think it was different than what we expected and hence that may have put us off initially--and maybe put others off as well. And we all know that human beings are not big fans of change or getting something different than expected!

I do not know the current staff on board. However, we are sailing late August on the Spirit from Venice to Athens so I will definitely have more information on that subject when we return.

We have stayed at the Barbados Hilton pre and post cruise. Not sure whether we will arrive one or two days before. I think I would like to stay somewhere different this time.

So, deposit has been made on the cabin, and we have until mid-August to cancel the December voyage without a penalty....

• 4 weeks later...

We are Howard and Rita from Maryland. This will be our 5th cruise on SS but our first in the Carib. Looking forward to it and to meeting you all. We are scheduled to fly in on the day we sail, but after reading these posts, may reconsider.

We are Howard and Rita from Maryland. This will be our 5th cruise on SS but our first in the Carib. Looking forward to it and to meeting you all. We are scheduled to fly in on the day we sail, but after reading these posts, may reconsider.

If you are flying straight down to Barbados the the weather where you live may be a factor. If you are flying into Miami first and then flying to Barbados the next day the there is no problem

US Air flies on Saturdays only from Charlotte to BGI non-stop (cruise departs on Sunday). Hopefully it should be less of a weather risk than PHL, and it will get you in the day before. We got a great deal on that leg so you might want to check in out. You can always fly back on SW into Baltimore. JetBlue flies daily to BGI.

American flies from MIA to BGI. Sorry SteveB, but not my favorite airport to connect in...

We do not like leaving from there either BUT

$258 non stop MIA

$282 from Fort Lauderdale BUT we have to fly to JFk then to Barbados no non stops

That is even worse flying up north laying over then coming back down :confused:

Greetings Howard and Rita. We are Bob and Victoria, also from Maryland. We'll be on the B2B cruise starting in Fort Lauderdale. Looking forward to meeting fellow Marylanders and all the other cruisecritic.com members.

Less then 150 days to go.

I'm Scott and I'm travelling with my Mom Helen, my brother Bob and his wife Susan and my partner Jay. We look forward to meeting you all.

We are staying in Suite 408/405/409. Let's arrange to meet in the bar one evening.

We are flying direct non stop from Toronto to BGI one day early. It's about 5.5 hour flight with Air Canada. As mentioned before we are staying at the Hilton.

Warm regards from Canada.

ScottToronto.

Thanks to you all for the travel suggestions. We are using the SS air program. It is on AA from DC thru Charlotte. December is not usually too bad weather wise, but it still may be a good idea to leave a day early. We're checking on details now and if we go early may stay at the Hilton. Bob and Victoria, where in Maryland are you from?

Thanks to you all for the travel suggestions. We are using the SS air program. It is on AA from DC thru Charlotte. December is not usually too bad weather wise, but it still may be a good idea to leave a day early. We're checking on details now and if we go early may stay at the Hilton. Bob and Victoria, where in Maryland are you from?

Baltimore County. And you?

We are Susan and Jim from Ohio and we also will be on this cruise. First timers on SS.:)

So glad to hear that there will be more cruisecritic.com people on board. So far, there will be Nevadashaun, Scott Toronto, Cuddles 115, Herman the Cat, hmh1212,, fitty, emtbsam and lurkers (H & S) whom we know. It sounds like it will be a good group on this cruise. When we get closer to departure, we can decide if we want to have a get together on board either when we sail or the next morning for a breakfast.

Archived