Need advise which is better, Eastern or Western Carribean

Ravi09

I'm trying to decide between the two itineraries in July 2012 with Carnival Liberty departing from Miami.

The routes are Eastern Caribbean (HalfMoon Cay/St Thomas/San Juan/Grand Turk) or Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Belize/Roatan/Grand Cayman). Both are 7 nights cruise with the Western Caribbean price lower by $100.

This will be our 2nd cruise and the only place we've visited was Cozumel and Costa Maya during our 1st cruise.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,

Conrad

Better in what sense? We don't know anything about your preferences, so had for us to say.

As you have already done parts of a western at Costa Maya and Cozumel, maybe do the East. Half Moon Cay is definitely a draw.

IMHO either can be great. Eastern (St.Thomas) can be fabulous for shopping. Grabow's is a favorite of mine. If you're going Western then u don't want me on your ship!!!...Twice my ship hasn't made it into Cozumel....and I'm dying to go to Nachi Cocum. Good luck with your choice!!!

Thanks for your input.

I was looking for a more family oriented activities on the ports of call. We're a family of 4 with 2 kids (8 and 12).

St. Thomas has lots for families....great snorkeling, nice aquarium. San Juan has an old fort to explore....or do the rain forest excursion....for example. Eastern Caribbean has a more tropical feel thant the Western IMHO. However the best snorkeling we've had anywhere was in Roatan! AWESOME!!

In looking at the two itineraries I'd go with the one to the Eastern Caribbean. That way you won't have an repeat ports from your other cruise and I see that they also visit their private island which I always think is quite nice to do as it offers a nice relaxing day on land.

Keith

We've been to most of the islands you have listed. San Juan has 2 forts that your kids will enjoy. Both Cozumel and Grand Caymen have a Dolphin encounter that is unbelievable. Grand Caymen has a pirate adventure that's ideal for kids and a submarine ride, the turtle farm, and is one of our favorites. The private island is a great beach day. St Thomas has some gorgeous beaches also. If you are looking for waterfalls and rain forests, the Eastern route is probably better. Grand Caymen and San Juan are both favorites for us; Belize and Roatan, not so much. As you can see, everyone has an opinion, but for us, there's more for a family with young children to choose from on the Western route. If nature, zip-lines or shopping is your thing, then the Eastern has more to offer.

Archived