Russian Nesting Dolls ~ Where to purchase?

Hi,

Can any of the experts help me out with a good place to purchase a quality set of Russian nesting dolls at a reasonable price? SPB? Tallinn?

I would love to get a set of these as a gift for a good friend who collects these dolls.

Thanks in advance,

Jill

Hi Jill ~ Matryoshka Dolls will be all over St. Petersburg - assuming that's where you'll be. It was overwhelming!!! All sizes and ALL prices!!! We travelled on Celebrity's Constellation and the ship also had a good supply of them - again all prices! I've been collecting them for years - have some good sets and also many just for fun - and the holidays/grandkids! So I wasn't interested in buying any, especially since the good ones were very costly!

My suggestion - do your homework first on the internet - know what to look for and decide about how much you want to spend. Then check out the ship's store and get an idea of what they have and prices - they may also have a sale after Russia - see if you can ask around the crew - they'll be the ones to know.

Then, St. Petersburg. We went on a private tour with 3 other couples and stopped at gift shops to use rest rooms (always clean) and "shop". The gifts shops we stopped at all had coffee, liquor, vodka (free) to sample - the guys loved it and started asking when we were going to stop next!! They all also had a gazillion Dolls!!! One couple in our group was serious about buying a good set and our guide was very good and seemed very honest - I'm sure the guides get something from the shops but she really was helping this couples and telling them the good ones from the over-priced ones. In the end I don't think the couple ever bought a set - maybe on the ship. On the Constellation I think they had a big Doll & Amber sale the evening we sailed or maybe the following day - I'm sure it was after we left Russia. I know I bought little dolls for my grandsons at $10 a set - but I knew they weren't good ones but they like the dolls since I always have at least one set out. Now I think I'm sorry I didn't go for the $35 sets of Sponge Bob and Sipderman in the St. Pete store - but at the time it seemed too high priced for play toys. Buyers regreat!!!

Have a GREAT trip and good luck buying the Dolls!!!

Hi,

Can any of the experts help me out with a good place to purchase a quality set of Russian nesting dolls at a reasonable price? SPB? Tallinn?

I would love to get a set of these as a gift for a good friend who collects these dolls. Thanks in advance, Jill

Peg has summarized things very well. There are a wide range of prices, reflecting the various "QUALITY" levels. When there, you will see how and why there are various levels of pricing and quality. You can see why the "better ones" with hand-painting cost more money. BUT, what's it worth to spend? Lots of options and costs to consider. You might check out the gift shop at the Hermitage for their options, too.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,840 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry ~ thanks for the compliment!

Jill ~ Terry has a good suggestion - the Hermitage. We never went to the gift shop there - spent too much time with the paintings! Pre-cruise you might also check out the Hermitage on-line - get an idea of what they have and prices.

Quality is the deciding factor and also size - I remember many at the gift shops were SO large I wouldn't have wanted then at home - just too big and too many dolls.

But, Jill, I don't mean to be negative or discourage you - a gift like a Matryoshka Doll actually bought in Russia will be SO special!! Just be a smart buyer!!!

Terry ~ thanks for the compliment! Jill ~ Terry has a good suggestion - the Hermitage. We never went to the gift shop there - spent too much time with the paintings! Pre-cruise you might also check out the Hermitage on-line - get an idea of what they have and prices. Quality is the deciding factor and also size - I remember many at the gift shops were SO large I wouldn't have wanted then at home - just too big and too many dolls. But, Jill, I don't mean to be negative or discourage you - a gift like a Matryoshka Doll actually bought in Russia will be SO special!! Just be a smart buyer!!!

Appreciate the added comments by Peg. To add to her wise insights, in one key shop in St. Petersburg, the average or tourist-level stuff was on the first/main floor. BUT, then as you went upstairs, they had the "better" (and more costly) stuff. Depending on what quality you seek and can afford, ask if there is "more" upstairs and/or in another part of the store. The cheaper stuff is is what you might first see, but not always ALL that they have.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,840 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks so much, Peg and Terry. You guys are the BEST!!

So, it is possible that our tour guide (from Alla tours) might help me in my quest to find some dolls? I will check-out the Hermitage museum online...never would have thought of that! :p

Jill ~ I would tell your guide as soon as reasonable thatyou're really interested in buy a good set of Dolla - but I'd also check things out on the internet - like what to look for in a good set, etc. I guess coming from NYC we're just naturally suspicious of people like guides thinking that they're going to take you places they get a kick-back. I know our SPB Tour guide was very helpful and honest - I heard her tell a couple that they dolls they were looking at were way over-priced. ButI think it would help knowing points of craftmanship to look for, etc. So check on-line and the Hermitage site and then decide just how much you'd like to spend and GOOD LUCK - I'm sure you'll have fun buying!!!!

PS - again I don't want you to get the wrong impression! We also easily found many inexpensive gifts (trinkets) to bring home like for people at work, etc. I bought Matryoshka Doll magnets for about $1/$1.50 for people at work - they were cute and no one thought them too much. We also bought some really nice pins for some special friends - maybe $5/$7 - black enamel with roses - I'm sure not the best but very nice. I bought some amber earing in Helsinki at the market and also in St. Petersburg - again not the most expensive but very nice. In two days I think we stopped at 3 SP gift shops (using the rest rooms and "drinking") and all had a very wide price-range of gifts. And ALL had "salespeople" with caculators who could tell you the price in American $, Pounds, Euro, etc. in a second - they're very prepared for tourist from any country!! We also had no problem using our Credit Card (AmEx) and while charged in ruples we knew exactly how much it'd be in $$$ - and we weren't spending big bucks but they were just as nice!

ALL good advice. When we were in line at the palace outside of St. P. there were guys selling little ones (about 5 inches tall with 4 dolls) so inexpensive we boufht about ten of them. I gave them to people I work with and they loved them. I think they were 5 or 6 for around $10-$15! (sold in quantities).

We also bought some on the HAL ship (Santa Clause and a nice one in blue for our daughter). As I recall, they were $30-$50.

Think about color, as they come in all colors.

Thanks so much, Peg and Terry. You guys are the BEST!!

So, it is possible that our tour guide (from Alla tours) might help me in my quest to find some dolls? I will check-out the Hermitage museum online...never would have thought of that! :p

Contact Alla in advance to make sure she knows that you want to shop. On our Alla tour (which was fantastic BTW) shopping stops were combined with restroom stops and not longer than 20 minutes. As others have said, there's a wide range of dolls and prices. Decide in advance how much you want to spend and know how to check for authenticity. On our ship, HAL Eurodam, they had a very nice selection and you could feel confident in what you were buying. But for me, I wanted to make the purchase in Russia. And finally, there were some kiosks set up on the pier, but I was so tired from touring all day that I never checked them out.

All great suggestions. But be aware you can also buy the 'Nesting' dolls in Tallinn also. We bought a great set there at a very reasonable price.

One thing I found very amusing, we found several stores in St Petersburg, selling nesting dolls of all sorts of things, the Beatles, Harry Potter and even my NY Giants. Take a look at some you may find

http://www.gr8russianstuff.com/servlet/Categories?category=Matryoshka+Nesting+Dolls&s=41

And then you can always take home a set like this

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe627.jpg

Cheers

Len

Len ~ GREAT photos as usual!!! Yes, Russia is appealing to the American buyers! Many novelty Nesting Dolls are available along with real Matryoshka Dolls.

Some other good points have been made - color - think about that ahead of time!

And the kiosks at the pier - I think there were two nice looking stores inside the port terminal - and maybe one selling vodka, etc. outside. We didn't stop in any - combination of being "bought-out" and having seen enough. But you might want to check out what's there.

Also, a good perk of taking a private tour - our driver stayed with our van. He and the guide told us we could leave jackets, extra shoes, purchases, etc. in the van when we went into places. While I would never leave a bag, camera or passport - it was great not to have to carry other things with us!

All great suggestions. But be aware you can also buy the 'Nesting' dolls in Tallinn also. We bought a great set there at a very reasonable price.

One thing I found very amusing, we found several stores in St Petersburg, selling nesting dolls of all sorts of things, the Beatles, Harry Potter and even my NY Giants. Take a look at some you may find

http://www.gr8russianstuff.com/servlet/Categories?category=Matryoshka+Nesting+Dolls&s=41

And then you can always take home a set like this

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe627.jpg

Cheers

Len

Len,

Thanks for the links. The first link I opened really cracked me up. Lordy! The very first nesting dolls pictured were of the Denver Broncos. I am a HUGE Bronco fan (we have season tickets). And of course, the dolls feature #7, John Elway. I may have to purchase this set for myself to include in the bronco shrine in my basement. :D

I already checked the Hermitage online and did not find any nesting dolls in their gift shop.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Jill

When you are in the line for the Hermitage the locals will try to sell you dolls ,hats, pins ,sets of postcards, it is kind of fun and you can bargin the price down. We got A set of postcards of some the art in the Hermitage for one dollar.

I already checked the Hermitage online and did not find any nesting dolls in their gift shop.

See my previous post yesterday and link: http://www.theartnewspaper.com/artic...he-dolls/18509.

This is an article about the controversy over these dolls; The Hermitage's director will not carry them at The Hermitage gift shops because he does not consider them Russian folk art; they did not originate in Russia but in Japan.

We did the Baltics with NCL a couple of years ago.Before we arrived in St Petersberg there was a ship's talk about Matryoshka,how to spot fakes etc and on leaving Russia the shop had a huge sale of Russian items.

I have colected Matryoska for a number of years and was really looking forward to actually buying one(or two!)in Russia.There was an amazing array for sale in St Petersberg,so many in fact that I couldn't make my mind up and nearly came away with nothing!If you go on a ships tour it will at some point stop at an "approved" gift shop,the tour guide will also advise you not to buy from the markets or street traders.They obviously get some sort of commission from the shops.I bought from the shop and the market.

It is also much cheaper to buy any gifts in Tallin and they have more or less the same things.

I have tried to attach a couple of photos,fingers crossed!:confused:

453.jpg.1f107fe608e914916cf4ee6230609af1.jpg

469.jpg.4455a05f76c907e4670b7e2bded72ca1.jpg

Archived