Copenhagen Cruise Port

Does anyone know which cruise terminal the Emerald Princess uses on the Copenhagen to Baltic countries cruise. I'm trying to locate the general area so that I may find overnight (budget) accomodation in the area. Thanks.

The port they use is very close to the Little Mermaid. I was there in 2009. As for hotels in Copenhagen, make sure you look at the rooms carefully before deciding on a hotel. We stayed at a hotel that was highly rated on Tripadvisor and it was lovely if you like Scandanavian low beds with no carpeting and narrow windows. It was ugly. Then we stayed at the Hilton airport hotel and it was great. If I was flying there for one night- I'd do the Hilton. From the airport you get there quickly by a tunnel. When you want to see the sites use the airport train- quick, cheap and drops off by Tivoli. Was great.

The cruiseport for the Emerald is called Sundkaj Pier 245. The closest hotel appears to be the Adina, which is approx $241 per night, including breakfast. You can walk to the port from here in about 15 minutes with rolling luggage.

Does anyone know which cruise terminal the Emerald Princess uses on the Copenhagen to Baltic countries cruise. I'm trying to locate the general area so that I may find overnight (budget) accomodation in the area. Thanks.

The port they use is very close to the Little Mermaid. I was there in 2009. As for hotels in Copenhagen, make sure you look at the rooms carefully before deciding on a hotel. We stayed at a hotel that was highly rated on Tripadvisor and it was lovely if you like Scandanavian low beds with no carpeting and narrow windows. It was ugly. Then we stayed at the Hilton airport hotel and it was great. If I was flying there for one night- I'd do the Hilton. From the airport you get there quickly by a tunnel. When you want to see the sites use the airport train- quick, cheap and drops off by Tivoli. Was great.

Hi Rebecca L A,

We are arriving in CPH early 7:15am on the day of Embarkation. Since we can't board until after 1 PM, we tentatively plan to get our luggage at Kastrup and go to the port. Would you recommend taking the train to the port or would we be better off getting a cab? Also, any thoughts on killing time until we board? We've been to CPH before and have seen many of the sights.

Thanks,

Jim

If you weren't jetlagged and weighed down with luggage- I'd say do the metro which goes from the airport to very near the port (walking distance) but walking distance with luggage can seem far! So I recommend doing a taxi. Its a 20 minute ride and adjusting to DKK will run about $50-55 but with being tired this is the best way.

The first HOHO bus will start around Tivoli and reach the port area about 10AM. Since tickets are usually about $25 per person but this will be a 2.5 hour tour if you don't get off the bus. So this would be a good way to take a whirl around the city. Skip Tivoli because its really theme-park like and better for kids. I wasn't impressed but my then 8 year old loved it.

I would have said to do the train to Central Station and get on the HOHO bus but they don't start until 9:30 and you might not be able to take luggage on there (I don't think you can).

Thanks Rebecca,

Sound advice! We have passed the age when wrestling luggage through cities is considered fun or frugal.

We were in CPH for 3 days a few years ago. We saw most of the sights and were unimpressed with Tivoli too. I am certain that spending big bucks to ride the teacups wouldn't fill the bill after a cramped overnight flight. We'll probably opt to try to get Princess to babysit our luggage and find a place to explore near the port. Maybe we'll grab a breakfast, read a book and hope for an early boarding time.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

I never recommend flying in the day of the cruise.

You run a big risk should your flight be cancelled or delayed and you also have to deal with the jet lag.

No matter how many times I have visited a port of call or no matter what I think of that embarkation port, I still think it is far better to arrive at least one day prior to the start of the cruise.

There are just too many issues that can go wrong when flying.

Keith

I do love the area that you see in all the Copenhagen pictures. The area on the canal with colorful small buildings on either side (Christiansborg) My recollection is that it is in walking distance from the port. I'd go there for a nice morning coffee and people watch!:)

I never recommend flying in the day of the cruise.

You run a big risk should your flight be cancelled or delayed and you also have to deal with the jet lag.

No matter how many times I have visited a port of call or no matter what I think of that embarkation port, I still think it is far better to arrive at least one day prior to the start of the cruise.

There are just too many issues that can go wrong when flying.

Keith

Keith, I agree with you 100% but we really don't want to get a room, check in check out ride a cab both ways, spend a small boatload of $$ and see sights we have seen before. I have selected a flight with just one plane change from an express jet and an early arrival in CPH allowing time (11 hours)to locate any stray luggage should our bags take a separate vacation.

Our usual routine is to plan a day or two pre and post cruise but in this case, it makes some sense to take a small risk. I will mull your thoughts and make a final decision soon. Thanks for the good advice.

Jim

Rebecca, thanks for the suggestion. I recall the area you refer to and I am pretty sure the Little Mermaid is within walking (staggering!) distance.

Jim

Yeah the Little Mermaid is within jetlag distance! She is a tiny little thing and if you have already seen her... well, just skip it.

You sound alot like me. I get so keyed up about my trip that I can't sleep on the plane and walk around like a zombie on the first day. Sort of like a hangover minus the headache. So, I am the first one to do the easiest thing- no matter the $$$.

I do love the area that you see in all the Copenhagen pictures. The area on the canal with colorful small buildings on either side (Christiansborg) My recollection is that it is in walking distance from the port. I'd go there for a nice morning coffee and people watch!:)

I think the area you are referring to is the Nyhavn section, where you can do the canal boat trip, or just wander around some of the very colorful shops and restaurants.

Here are a few pics of the area maybe to help you remember:):)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe246.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster277.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe251.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thanks for sharing that was my favorite part of Copenhagen. Just lovely. The city has a certain melancholy about it in general and this place seemed "happy". Copenhagen is very clean and the people speak good english but the exchange rate (like everywhere) isn't in our favor. Doing the math all the time wore me out!

Yeah the Little Mermaid is within jetlag distance! She is a tiny little thing and if you have already seen her... well, just skip it.

You sound alot like me. I get so keyed up about my trip that I can't sleep on the plane and walk around like a zombie on the first day. Sort of like a hangover minus the headache. So, I am the first one to do the easiest thing- no matter the $$$.

At least we have that option this summer, last year she was in China.

Kirk

Rebecca, Keith, and Len,

Thanks for you input and great pictures. I may be reconsidering on the same day arrival/embark plan.

Anybody have any recommendation on a hotel near the port? There is plenty to see and do and allows some time for unforseen problems like runaway luggage. I'm sure most hotels will take our luggage before check-in time (assuming we have some. You only have to lose luggage once to get overly concerned.:confused:) We stayed at the Vesterbro near Tivoli last time but a hotel within an easy walk of the port would allow us to explore that district while we recover.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

thanks for the kind words about the pics. I also agree that you rethink your schedule. I live outside of NYC and we use their airports to fly. There are so many scenarios that can delay or cancel flights at any time. A few months ago, this fella snuck back into the terminal to give his girlfriend a goodbye kiss. Shut the darn thing down for 6 hours, and all those people missed flights.

Enjoy your vacation and crusie, and always, better safe than sorry.

Cheers

Len

I would be curious what hotel is nice near the port for next time as well. I stayed near Tivoli too at the Scandic Copenhagen and am not a fan just because the rooms were spartan and ugly. The breakfast there was really good though.

We unfortunately were unable to proceed with our cruise because my son was ill and I since the Scandic was not a great place to stay with a sick child, I had them drive us from the ship to the airport Hilton. It was fantastic. Its a Hilton so it is pretty much what one expects- nice room, comfy bed, nice bathroom, lobby bar, room service. It is just through a tunnel from the airport, so you just walk there. I really liked it and they treated us like gold. They thought my son had "swine flu" and that is why we couldn't cruise (he didn't). Considering here I arrive with a potentially contagious child and they couldn't have been nicer. We were stranded there for four days but it was great having the airport right there to get flights home, etc. When he got better I discovered the easy to use train, so this was great for going into the city and right there at our fingertips- never have to go outside to get it.

I have to relay this information because I was so impressed with the hotel and the treatment we received there. If there is an equally good hotel though near the port- I'd gladly try that as well but I'd be tempted to do the Hilton again. P.s No airplane noise at all- soundproof.

Jim

Enjoy your vacation and crusie, and always, better safe than sorry.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

I think your photos changed my mind about arriving a day early in CPH. We spent some time there but not enough to enjoy the Nyhavn area. That and the thought of having some sort of schedule disaster made me realize it isn't worth the risk and a long wait in a port terminal is no way to start a cruise.

I have pretty much decided to try the Maritime Hotel. It is right in the middle of the Nyhavn district and we have several attractions within easy walking distance. Then we can get a good night's sleep and,

hopefully begin to reset pur body clocks for the time change. I hate that "walking around in a fog" feeling. The first day is a sea day so we should be fine for our first tour.

Happy cruising,

Jim

Archived