Bad Weather May 17 New England Cruise

Bobed1927

Thank-you for your show of forecast.

We are booked on her too.

Having a few plans may help allay any fowl weather, I hope.

Which source was it ( your forcast ) from?

Meteorology is one of very few professions where when you get things wrong constantly you may keep your position..

Only if others would ..eh...

At least we have a fine ship, officers, staff, crew and CCers..eh..

:cool:

That Baden Powell Motto holds true once more..

(( BE PREPARED ));)

Just finished reading the long range weather forecasts for the ports we will be visiting. Looks like we'll have rain for the entire cruise. :(

I live in Rhode Island, left for work yesterday in the rain, and when I left for home it was bright and sunny and the local news predicted forecast was to be rain all day. The saying the weather changes with a blink of an eye in New England is very true.

I too live in New England and am flying out next Wednesday. I've been looking at the local long range forecast, and you are right. Rain is forecast practically everyday for the next 10 days. Does that mean you won't get sun? Of course not. However, this won't be a Caribbean cruise anyway. Make sure you have an all weather type jacket and layer your clothing underneath. Bring an umbrella as rain hitting you in the face can be nasty. Enjoy your ports of call and make the most of your New England voyage. Take HOHO buses where possible to avoid as much moisture in the air as you can.

Keep an open mind and plan to enjoy the cruise no matter what the weather. A forecast is a guesstimate, not a guarantee. They are never right 100% of the time. Plus, clouds and rain have a way of not being everywhere at the same time. Unless it's a thunderstorm, you can still sightsee and tour as usual. When I lived in New Enland, I wore a rain jacket and rain hat; never carried an umbrella although I always had it handy.

I live in Rhode Island, left for work yesterday in the rain, and when I left for home it was bright and sunny and the local news predicted forecast was to be rain all day. The saying the weather changes with a blink of an eye in New England is very true.

RI here, too. We could be neighbors.:).

N.E. weather is very unpredictable. As we in this neck of the woods are fond of saying, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute.";). In other words, dress in layers and be prepared for anything.

I'm ALMOST a New Englander :) And I can tell you that the weathermen here have forecasts as accurate as the weathermen in any other part of the country!

Look at what the % chance there is for precipitation and plan from there. We're traveling next week. The forecast for where we're going is for showers, but, the chance is more than 50% only 2 of the 7 days. I made sure my sneakers were waterproofed and that I packed my rain hat. And I'll make sure I never wear my last dry clothes - gotta love how many places have washers and dryers!

AHH New England on the cusp between spring and summer. You can never tell what the weather will bring. I'm from Boston and my bday often includes Memorial Day Weekend. I've swelted in the heat and froze on the beach - many times because of the forecast!! Advice here is good - layers and maybe very light rain poncho. 88 cents at Walmart. I could never use an umbrella. Walking the sidewalks of Boston with one was like running the gauntlet. I envy you. I am so craving some full belly fried clams!!

Yep, welcome to New England. When packing for our Alaska trip last summer, I just pretended I was pretty much stayin' ta home. 50 degree swings are not unheard of at any time of year. Wouldn't live anywhere else!!

We don't plant impatiens til after Memorial Day and only put the AC in the window after 4 days in a row of needin it.

sunluva7 I am from Bristol and my husband is from Cranston. He chose to defect to the East Bay so I have been living in Bristol my entire life except for a brief stint in Warren.

Bobed, I believe Newport is a port on your itinerary. I worked for several years as a city tour guide in Newport and a Breakers mansion guide and can tell you first hand you will enjoy visiting this port rain or shine. Have a great cruise!!!

Archived