U.S.A Visas

Hi all...am I out of the loop or do us Australians now need a visa to enter the U.S.A..even if you have been there like lots???

G'day Scurvs.

If you are travelling on an Aussie passport, under the Visa Waiver scheme, you still need to apply for an ESTA.. That will now cost you $14USD, and is good for 2 years.

Apply on-line direct to US Immigration - Homeland Security dept. (dont go to 3rd party sites) and it is generally issued immediately.. It is electronically linked to your Aussie passport, although it wise to print and take/keep a copy.

S and P

Thanks Kev and Big M...seems a retina scan and finger prints just dont cut it anymore :confused:...maybe since the aust $ has gone past the U.S.D it's a good way for the yanks to get some much needed cash :D...thanks for the info..

So much for the Anzus treaty i guess :rolleyes:

Thanks Kev and Big M...seems a retina scan and finger prints just dont cut it anymore :confused:...maybe since the aust $ has gone past the U.S.D it's a good way for the yanks to get some much needed cash :D...thanks for the info..

So much for the Anzus treaty i guess :rolleyes:

Sorry to say it scurvs, but you still get scanned and f'printed... On a recent trip, I was detained for an hour of cross-checking 'cos they determined that my f'prints were'nt mine :eek:

Yes, they nearly got the extra much needed $$$'s when we almost didnt make a flight connection...

Make sure you have your correct pawprints with you sludge..;)

Sue

Sorry to say it scurvs, but you still get scanned and f'printed... On a recent trip, I was detained for an hour of cross-checking 'cos they determined that my f'prints were'nt mine :eek:

Yes, they nearly got the extra much needed $$$'s when we almost didnt make a flight connection...

Make sure you have your correct pawprints with you sludge..;)

Sue

LOl, whose fingers DID you have???:eek:

From the ESTA website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1126/kw/esta/session/L3NpZC8qc2tXdFJ0aw%3D%3D/p/0/c/0

How long is my ESTA approval good for?Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period. You may update your travel information; however this information is optional and is not required. Note: Is it important to PRINT a copy of the document for your records. The printout is not required upon arrival into the United States, as the officers have the information electronically. Some airlines require the printout upon check-in, please check with your respective airline.

Receiving ESTA authorization does not mean you may stay in the U.S. for two years. It only allows you to travel to the U.S. under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which only allows you to stay in the U.S. for 90 days or less. If you plan to stay for longer than 90 days, you must obtain a visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

*If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. Beginning September 8, 2010, the associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application submitted.

There is also criteria you must meet to qualify to apply for an ESTA Visa Waiver Authorisation.

Well shows how long since i have been in the U.S lol...

Last time was sign the waiver get eye scanned and finger printed and you could stay 60 days after that time then cross over to Mexico..renew waiver and back again..:)..

As for my fingers there mine...but I could take my puppy and use his paws that should confuse them..well for a tad untill they deport me :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Our green cards were not collected when we left the USA in March. I read somewhere that we should keep evidence that we left (eg. a boarding pass), if these were not collected. We will be in the US again next May (Hawaii) and as this next visit is within the two year validity period,

Will we need to fill in another ESTA online and/or produce evidence that we left the US to immigration authorities when we arrive in Hawaii?

Can anyone help?

Our green cards were not collected when we left the USA in March. I read somewhere that we should keep evidence that we left (eg. a boarding pass), if these were not collected. We will be in the US again next May (Hawaii) and as this next visit is within the two year validity period,

Will we need to fill in another ESTA online and/or produce evidence that we left the US to immigration authorities when we arrive in Hawaii?

Can anyone help?

Pre ESTA days, on two exits, our green cards were not collected, but there were never any problems later. Just left them in passports and they were collected by Homeland Security next time we entered... It's then obvious to them that you must have left.

Although not mandatory, with ESTA, you can log on to the ESTA website and change/modify your entry details for each trip within the 2 year validity period. (For the benefit of newbies reading this, with ESTA there STILL IS a "green card" stub stapled in your passport)

I wouldnt be worried about it..;)

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I just checked those green cards. The admitted stamp reads March 21, 2011 and the 2nd date (or valid until) reads June 19, 2011. I understand this to be the length of that particular visit to the US (3 months).

So you can have several visits during the life of the ESTA , i.e. 2 years. This is good to know.

I will put those green cards inside our passports now that you have clarified this for me. Many thanks.

what is the deal for US citizens to Australia re VISAs-I am hearing different stories...

Use the Australian government site it costs a little but there is no reason to pay more and with passport in hand takes less than 10 minutes

Pre ESTA days, on two exits, our green cards were not collected, but there were never any problems later. Just left them in passports and they were collected by Homeland Security next time we entered... It's then obvious to them that you must have left.

Although not mandatory, with ESTA, you can log on to the ESTA website and change/modify your entry details for each trip within the 2 year validity period. (For the benefit of newbies reading this, with ESTA there STILL IS a "green card" stub stapled in your passport)

I wouldnt be worried about it..;)

Phil

Gidday guys.

Have just entered USA again today, for about the 15-16th time since ESTA was introduced..

This is the FIRST time we have NOT been required to complete the green "Visa Waiver" form as well..

It appears that transition to fully electronic is complete, and all info is retreivable for the authorities.. After ESTA approval, Aussies only additional paperwork, is with the white Customs Declaration upon arrival ..

P

We are in Canada at the moment after getting off the Diamond Princess last Saturday from Beijing. We used our ESTA visa for the third time when we were in Alaska.... we will be driving down to Seattle Washington tomorrow and will be using it for the 4th time in 18 months.... will have to get a new one for next year and pay the $14 - this one was free when we applied.

I just updated our ESTA travel authority for USA, I got it in August last year, ready for a cruise/trip into US, earely this year that I cancelled on medical grounds. At that time there was no charge for the ESTA. So no further charge now and is still current until August 2012 for our run into USA on Ruby/Coral Princess - November, this year. I just changed the arrival dates, ship name and hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

By the way - for Aussies it is NOT a visa, it is an Electronic Travel Authority issued under US Dept of Homeland Security Visa Waiver Programme. Some countries citizens still have to obtain a 'real visa.

Some people will tell you that you do not need to print out your travel authority, but some pax have been asked to produce it at embarkation and at some USA Border protection points, airports/ports. Even though your authority would be on line to the Border Security person.

So take my advice, print it out and stick it with your other travel documents, you never know.

I just updated our ESTA travel authority for USA, I got it in August last year, ready for a cruise/trip into US, earely this year that I cancelled on medical grounds. At that time there was no charge for the ESTA. So no further charge now and is still current until August 2012 for our run into USA on Ruby/Coral Princess - November, this year. I just changed the arrival dates, ship name and hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

By the way - for Aussies it is NOT a visa, it is an Electronic Travel Authority issued under US Dept of Homeland Security Visa Waiver Programme. Some countries citizens still have to obtain a 'real visa.

Some people will tell you that you do not need to print out your travel authority, but some pax have been asked to produce it at embarkation and at some USA Border protection points, airports/ports. Even though your authority would be on line to the Border Security person.

So take my advice, print it out and stick it with your other travel documents, you never know.

Good advice, Les.

Even though the document states that you don't have to take it with you, we were asked for it at disembarkation by ship into Manhattan. Whilst I produced a printout of my authority, my daughter produced a bit of paper, as big as her thumb, with the number scribbled on it (she travels light)!

BTW I don't provide any details that aren't compulsory.

We were asked for it when we checked in for our flights to Honolulu in March too and also on arrival at Honolulu airport. So it pays to have a copy with you.

Archived