Best thing you brought on your cruise?

Carissagem

I am looking for tips, similar to the below, which I have received. We have a 2yo so kid related tips appreciated too!

- bring an extension cord

- have a clock/alarm

- over the door shoe orgnaizer is good for toiletries etc and keeps counters clean

- pop up hamper

anything else you are so happy you brought? thanks

I found this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205&page=21 thanks!

duct tape and water shoes!

My sister's zipper broke on her suitcase and duct tape came in handy. It also helped me when I needed to tape up an oversize print I needed to hand carry home.

Some of the beachs have sharper sand then other, so a good pair of water shoes come in really handy. You can get a pair cheap at Wal-Mart or Target.

We pack anything we can in zip-locks of various sizes from snack to 2-1/2 gal size. We pack our underwear, shoes, jewelry, make-up, meds, lotions, etc in zip-locks. When we get to the cabin we swipe drawers with anti-bac wipe and toss the zip-locks inside. Easy to find what you are looking for to get ready. Unpacking is done in record time. We carry extras for damp/wet swimsuits when we are packing to leave.

We always carry OTC meds. Nothing is worse than a headace, stomach ache, cut, bug bite or a sudden cold, late at night with nothing open. We learned this the hard way. Toss the gel-caps and travel size portions into a zip-lock.

The two things you should never leave home without are a sense of humour and plenty of patience.

I am not normally an irritable person but there are folks on ships who would exasperate a saint. Learn to never be in a hurry to go anywhere and to see the funny side of everything.

We always carry OTC meds. Nothing is worse than a headace, stomach ache, cut, bug bite or a sudden cold, late at night with nothing open. We learned this the hard way. Toss the gel-caps and travel size portions into a zip-lock.

I always get a Zpack from my Doctor for overseas trips. It's a super dose of antibiotic. Nothing worse than getting really sick and not speaking the language! We have had to use them twice. We wouldn't leave home with out them now. Most Doctors will give you the prescription if you tell them why you want it.:) Also, should you get really sick, visiting the ships Doctor is a little expensive. :eek: Zpacks can save the day (or the cruise). ;)

Travel size air freshner

Ziplock bags - different sizes

A couple of rubberbands and paperclips

(I always seem to find something I can use them on)

Notebook/journal to record your experiences

Ziplock bag of small toys/books - easy to throw in your bag, in case there is a wait at something

I used to make a ziplock bag of my little ones clothes for each day.

2 sets for each day.(and of course, an extra one or two)

Then I would mark them "beach" "dinner" etc, so I knew what was in each one when I reached in the drawer. Having the whole set of things he would need, was quick and easy.

Instead of the OverTheDoor hanger thing....on shorter trips I use a smaller one. It's on a hanger and has zippered pockets on both sides. I think it was labeled a jewelry organizer. The zippered pockets keep things protected and organized. I just hang it up and get things out as I need them.

Everything small goes in there...earrings, necklaces, makeup, q-tips, bandaids, nail polish, nail file, glasses/contact stuff, aspirin/bonine, travel size items, etc.

8.jpg

If you are going during hot months, one of those battery operated, hand-held water mister fans is priceless. We bought 1 for each of our family members for about $3 each at the drugstore at home. We could have sold them for $20+ each on the cruise, esp while waiting in line on the private island in the sweltering heat, had we been those sorts of folks. :)

I'll tell you what NOT to bring - all your cares and worries! Turn off the cell phone and lock it in the safe for the duration of your trip and stay away from your email account, the world will get along without you for a week just fine!

Do bring your appetite and hunger for adventure, your curiosity about other peoples and cultures and above all else - have the time of your life! :D

Wishing you calm seas and smooth sailing!

Archived