Hey Ladies....I have a dumb guy question for you!

OK stupid guy question but here it goes.....

Is the body gel they supply in the showers on board meant for hair too or just as a body wash? Would you use it to shampoo your hair or do you bring your own? We need to settle a debate in our house. Thanks in advance for your answers. :o

I can't speak to the soap aboard the ships because I've always traveled with females who brought their own products but I do know that my boyfriend uses bodywash gel at home on occasion as his shampoo. :rolleyes: He'll be joining me on his first cruise this December and I pretty much expect he'll be using the RC shower soap as his shampoo then.

I wouldn't wash my hair with shower gel. I won't be washing my hair with ship shampoo either, because I am picky lol.

But my husband and boys use shower gel on their hair frequently.

I am a girl and I have used the "gel" stuff in the shower for both my body and my hair and have had no problems. My husband also uses it for his body and hair. I guess I should add that we boith have short hair. I think we both are well-groomed and unless you or your family have "problem" hair the gell should work just fine !! Good Luck! Have a great cruise! :D

I can't speak to the soap aboard the ships because I've always traveled with females who brought their own products but I do know that my boyfriend uses bodywash gel at home on occasion as his shampoo. :rolleyes: He'll be joining me on his first cruise this December and I pretty much expect he'll be using the RC shower soap as his shampoo then.

I wouldn't wash my hair with shower gel. I won't be washing my hair with ship shampoo either, because I am picky lol.

But my husband and boys use shower gel on their hair frequently.

We were discussing this because we are trying to make a concerted effort to pack lighter. My wife (who has long and thick hair) always packs a large container of shampoo and leaves whatever is left on board. We are thinking that maybe she can get by with the gel this time being that our next sailing is a short 5 day trip. That being said if the stuff in the showers is junk then she is not going to be happy. This is our dilemma.

We were discussing this because we are trying to make a concerted effort to pack lighter. My wife (who has long and thick hair) always packs a large container of shampoo and leaves whatever is left on board. We are thinking that maybe she can get by with the gel this time being that our next sailing is a short 5 day trip. That being said if the stuff in the showers is junk then she is not going to be happy. This is our dilemma.

I guess I am picky, I have used the stuff from the ship before but hated it as shampoo, and this time i will bring my own soap and shampoo. They used to have better stuff but the last time I did not like the stuff what ever it was.

I have long, thick, combination hair (oily along the scalp but frizzy in humidity). I've never been able to use hotel shampoos because they generally make my hair too heavy. I don't even consider using the ship shampoo either because I imagine it isn't much different if at all.

I do know that they make high quality travel-sized shampoos and conditioners what are sold in most drugstores and groceries. I always buy several Herbal Essences brand travel sized products to bring on board (or when I travel anywhere overnight). These work great and don't take up much space. They are also only about $1.00 per bottle at local retailers where I'm from. These shampoos are located with all the other travel supplies (lotions, toothbrushes, toothpast, hand sanitizer, etc.). I definitely recommend your wife invest in some of them!

When I cruise, I bring alot of travel size products. I pretty much use them up, and throw away the empty containers. Makes the suitcase lighter for our trip home, and I can buy more gifts this way! Also, I get to use what I like. When I go to my dermatologist, I can get free samples from them. I have also gotten free samples from Walmart on line.

I would pack small travel size bottles of conditioner. No way would I be using body wash on my hair - I can imagine it getting very tangled. I'm not sure if it was the tap water at the hotel or the ocean water, but when I was in Hawaii, I found my hair was very tangled even after washing with real shampoo and conditioner, and my hair is very thin and straight.

OK stupid guy question but here it goes.....

Is the body gel they supply in the showers on board meant for hair too or just as a body wash? Would you use it to shampoo your hair or do you bring your own? We need to settle a debate in our house. Thanks in advance for your answers. :o

Due to my hair being color treated, I bring my own special shampoo.

It is true that that water on board is HARD.....maybe that is why the supplied gel doesn't work so well?

And touche' to the poster who suggested that the cabin attendant might be using the gel to clean the showers. I hadn't considered that possibilty.

Being a guy, I'll confess that I have used the body wash on my hair. I can't tell a difference but that's just me. :eek:

I'm not sure that it's not what they use to clean the shower! I wouldn't use it on my body OR hair!

Have you ever tried it? Or is your comment just an un-educated guess? :rolleyes:

I once forgot my little bottles of shampoo and conditioner and had to use the shower stuff for 2 days (2 sea days until the first port). By day 3 I looked like I had stuck my finger in an electrical outlet.

I use travel sized bottles to fill with my own shampoo. Usually 2 or 3 little bottles with get me through a 7 night cruise. Too many different kinds of water and hair products out there to mess with my hair. I have a bad enough time with humidity when cruising, I don't need to add a strange hair product to the mix.

BTW...sort of on topic...I asked someone from Florida how they deal with humidity and their hair, they told me they use Aussie hairspray for humidity. I can't find it in Arizona so I usually pick it up when I am in Florida before a cruise. It really does work! Also, when blow drying your hair make sure it is completely dry, if fact, keep drying it even after you think it is dry, damp hair and humidity really do not work.

I consider the stuff the ship provides to be men's shampoo/body wash combo. My DH uses it and I take my own. I think they provide it because it is less sudsy than other brands. My Bath and Body Works bath gel caused an overflow onto the bathroom floor on the Majesty, but my DH had no problem with the ship's gel.

I used the stuff in the shower last month on the Navigator because I forgot to bring my own. It was only a 4-day cruise so it wasn't too bad. My hair is easy going (it's gets along with many shampoo types) and I had no issues.

I know my mother can't use it because she gets her hair professionally straightened.

It is interesting to hear everyone's responses to my OP. In general I am reading several "I wouldn't touch the stuff" posts and a few "I'll use it in a pinch but prefer not to" posts. Do any of you actually like the stuff?

I don't even like using that stuff as shower gel. I use creamy body washes and shampoos. Better for my skin.

To save space, I buy those empty travel-size bottles from Wal-Mart and fill them with my own shampoo or body wash. Saves space, and I can use the products I really want to use while traveling. :)

From one guy to another, I'd just advise her to pack her own hair stuff and then try the ship's shampoo/gel/whatever. Because if she doesn't bring it, and you don't have the "good stuff" yer gunna hear it for 5 days!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I was just on the Majesty of the Seas in late April and used the bodywash gel to shower with, used the shampoo they provided. Was clean daily and hair was just fine, no problems. I liked it. :) (I've got short hair so maybe that's why the shampoo was ok for me.)

My husband and son were fine using just the provided gel for their hair last month. My daughter and I have long thick hair and it was a tangled mess when we tried to use the gel. We ended up paying obscene amounts for cheap conditioner in the gift shop so that we could manage. From now on I will pack good conditioner for RCI cruises.

From one guy to another, I'd just advise her to pack her own hair stuff and then try the ship's shampoo/gel/whatever. Because if she doesn't bring it, and you don't have the "good stuff" yer gunna hear it for 5 days!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks Stags...that's probably pretty good advice! ;)

Archived