Hey Ladies....I have a dumb guy question for you!

I always bring my own for at night (2nd shower of the day) as I want my own shampoo but I use theirs soap/gel in my hair in my morning shower and I tell you its not bad,never had any problems at all, and to me it appears to have some type of conditioner in it. My hair was soft.

We were discussing this because we are trying to make a concerted effort to pack lighter. My wife (who has long and thick hair) always packs a large container of shampoo and leaves whatever is left on board. We are thinking that maybe she can get by with the gel this time being that our next sailing is a short 5 day trip. That being said if the stuff in the showers is junk then she is not going to be happy. This is our dilemma.

Rather than travel sizes, we wait until we get to the port city (we fly in the night before) and then buy full sized shampoo, conditioner, suntan lotion, etc., from a local drug or grocery store. We then throw away what we don't use. That way, we aren't transporting any heavy bottles on the flight AND my wife and 2 teen daughters have all of the specific products that they want. :D

I have long think hair and I always bring a bottle of shampoo and huge bottle of conditioner with me. I would suggest if she is going to try the gel stuff that she at least bring conditioner because it may leave her hair very tangly.

We were discussing this because we are trying to make a concerted effort to pack lighter. My wife (who has long and thick hair) always packs a large container of shampoo and leaves whatever is left on board. We are thinking that maybe she can get by with the gel this time being that our next sailing is a short 5 day trip. That being said if the stuff in the showers is junk then she is not going to be happy. This is our dilemma.

If she uses salon products like I do. she should bring her own. I have very thick hair, short but thick and would never use the shower gel on my hair. I have only used it once to shave my legs, conserving my products. I bring small travel sized bottles filled with my favorite products, soap, shampoo, and conditioner to conserve weight in the suitcase.

We pack an extra duffle bag and do the port city shopping thing. My wife too is extra picky. We both use the the combo stuff as soap and I am prefectly fine using it as shampoo. But I do use hair gel afterward for control.

It is true that that water on board is HARD

How so? It is distilled water with a few trace minerals added back in for taste. We live in an area of extreme hard water and have softener set as high as it goes in terms of grains per million but that takes care of it. I don't find the ship water any harder than our softened water at home. The only place I've been with naturally softer water than the ships was Seattle which comes from rain and snow melt.

I don't use the shower gel or shampoo on the ship, I bring my own. While cruising I buy an "All-in-one" gel thats both a shower gel and shampoo thats specifically for men. There are several out there now by AXE, Gillette, Suave, etc. I find one where the scents not to strong as to conflict with the cologne I'm wearing.

How so? It is distilled water with a few trace minerals added back in for taste. We live in an area of extreme hard water and have softener set as high as it goes in terms of grains per million but that takes care of it. I don't find the ship water any harder than our softened water at home. The only place I've been with naturally softer water than the ships was Seattle which comes from rain and snow melt.

Just basing my opinion on the fact that my hair feels like straw and skin is sticky after a shower on board. Nothing at all like our very soft water at home.

From one guy to another, I'd just advise her to pack her own hair stuff and then try the ship's shampoo/gel/whatever. Because if she doesn't bring it, and you don't have the "good stuff" yer gunna hear it for 5 days!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks Stags...that's probably pretty good advice! ;)

Too funny!

I think she should just go buy some plastic travel bottles/containers, fill those up with what she'll need from home, and call it good. They come in all shapes and sizes. :)

Kurt, I saw your previous post regarding Bermuda. You'll have to be sure and let me know how you liked it. We're going in October.

Nancy

The dispenser shampoo/body wash was good enough for DH. He used it as shampoo and the bar soap for washing. I have to laugh at all of you that would never use a body wash as a shampoo. Read the ingredients. It's all Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. It's in 98% of shampoos and body washes and it's pure detergent. Just like Tide and Dawn.

So if you are using any type of detergent shampoo at home, you should be fine using the dispenser shampoo on the ships. I myself haven't used shampoo in my hair for over 6 years. Bring your own if it makes you feel better though.

It's junk. I use it for washing out my gym clothes and undies in the sink. Unless your wife has hair like Lady Godiva, she should be able to take a 3-oz or 100ml bottle of shampoo and conditioner for 5 days. I have mid-length curly hair and can do a week to 10 days with that amount of product.

Rather than travel sizes, we wait until we get to the port city (we fly in the night before) and then buy full sized shampoo, conditioner, suntan lotion, etc., from a local drug or grocery store. We then throw away what we don't use. That way, we aren't transporting any heavy bottles on the flight AND my wife and 2 teen daughters have all of the specific products that they want. :D

Good idea - that's what we do when we're going on a longer trip. It was fun figuring out how to buy shampoo in Rome from a salesgirl who spoke no English!

From one guy to another, I'd just advise her to pack her own hair stuff and then try the ship's shampoo/gel/whatever. Because if she doesn't bring it, and you don't have the "good stuff" yer gunna hear it for 5 days!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

LOL! Yes, you're so right...

And to reply to the OP - I have thick hair as well, and if she has problems with tangles at all, the shower gel will make brushing out your hair a pretty painful/miserable experience... not to mention the fact that it gets horribly frizzy (think: this) and dry... it's ew.

Pick up a couple of empty travel bottles (get 'em at Walgreens or Walmart, can get some pretty good ones for $0.99... if you're flying and worried about leakage, go to REI and they have better ones for $2-3). Rumrunners also sells a travel kit, but IMO there are too many bottles and it's not worth the $$$.

And, as a random money-saving tip, a half-dollar size amount of shampoo will ALWAYS suffice, whether it's cheap shampoo or the nice stuff. I used to go through bottles of the stuff, and have saved oodles of $$ since my hairdresser told me that -- I didn't believe her, but after doing that for a week, it proved totally accurate. Saves a LOT of money for the ladies out there using the high-end stuff, which costs about as much as gold.

I don't use the shower gel or shampoo on the ship, I bring my own. While cruising I buy an "All-in-one" gel thats both a shower gel and shampoo thats specifically for men. There are several out there now by AXE, Gillette, Suave, etc. I find one where the scents not to strong as to conflict with the cologne I'm wearing.

And also, a public service announcement to all of the men out there: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE DON'T USE AXE. The body wash is probably tolerable, since I find body wash odors are undetectable within 30 minutes of showering. If you happen to really like the stuff, then spray for .0001 seconds.

I understand that all of the commercials involve spraying the stuff for a good second or two, and that doing so leads to gorgeous angels falling from heaven to come find your gloriously scented body... but in reality, it's suffocating. Nothing worse than being stuck in the vicinity of a guy who has coated himself with the stuff.

Too funny!

I think she should just go buy some plastic travel bottles/containers, fill those up with what she'll need from home, and call it good. They come in all shapes and sizes. :)

Kurt, I saw your previous post regarding Bermuda. You'll have to be sure and let me know how you liked it. We're going in October.

Nancy

Thanks I will Nancy! My regards to Mike too!

Gina usually brings her own but this time after reading this thread she is going to wing it with the stuff from the ship. I pointed out that we have a JS so we get little shampoo bottles in our cabin and in addition I bring a travel container. I'll forgo my supply for her...for me it doesn't matter.

Have a great weekend!

Archived