Getting off in 1 port and getting on in another

On my upcoming cruise the ship docks in Haifa overnight and then docks in Ashod for another overnight before leaving.

I was wondering if I would be able to get office the ship when it docks in Haifa and reboard the ship in Ashod two (2) days later?

Has anyone else done this before?

It can be done, you just need to contact your cruise line and find out what their policy is. You will still be paying the days you miss aboard the ship. The only risk factor is if there is any type of weather issue that forbids the ship from docking in Ashod you might not be able to reboard again till later.

Jonathan

Be absolutely certain to get permission in advance, in writing. Do not just leave the ship and expect to reboard. You must have permission but it would be most unusual if permission was not granted.

We did that when we did a cruise through South America and went to the Galapagos Islands for 3 days. As others have stated, be sure and let the cruiseline know and also, let your cabin steward know, will save him/her some work.

Because you will not be covered by the Ship's documents you may need a Visa to spend time in the country. Check with whoever and be sure!

B.

I just want to note that a USA citizen does not need a visa in this situation.

Keith

On my upcoming cruise the ship docks in Haifa overnight and then docks in Ashod for another overnight before leaving.

I was wondering if I would be able to get office the ship when it docks in Haifa and reboard the ship in Ashod two (2) days later?

Has anyone else done this before?

Yes, you will be able to do this and I think it is a great idea.

You should have your TA just verify this will be fine with your cruise line which I am sure it will be.

You will need your passport with you as you will be staying overnight.

You won't be the first one to do this and again I think it is a great apporach.

Keith

Hi, We have done it...in other Ports-of-Call. We had to put in writing to the Ship's Purser/Security ie. Front Desk, of our intentions. We took our Passports ashore....duh. etc etc. All went well. Consider this:The ship MAY alter it's itinerary for any number of reasons, and so may you; so have your ducks in a row well ahead of time. Enjoy. Locomotiveman

Hi, We have done it...in other Ports-of-Call. We had to put in writing to the Ship's Purser/Security ie. Front Desk, of our intentions. We took our Passports ashore....duh. etc etc. All went well. Consider this:The ship MAY alter it's itinerary for any number of reasons, and so may you; so have your ducks in a row well ahead of time. Enjoy. Locomotiveman

On other suggestion. Get the telephone numbers for the port agent for both the port where you will be getting off, and the port where you will be reboarding.

That way you will have a local point of contact in case anything happens which delays you and/or delays or redirects the ship.

Since you have done this when did you have to get the approval from the cruise line? Did you do it before you boarded or did you wait until you got onboard the ship?

I ask because if this is possible I want to reserve my overland transportation and hotel now.

Thanks to all who provided response(s) :)

Since you have done this when did you have to get the approval from the cruise line? Did you do it before you boarded or did you wait until you got onboard the ship?

I ask because if this is possible I want to reserve my overland transportation and hotel now.

Thanks to all who provided response(s) :)

I know you didn't ask this question to me but I would highly recommend that you make the arrangements ahead of time no matter where you are visiting in the world (and this does come from personal experience) but to me this is even more important to do in Israel just in case there is a requirement for the cruise line to advise the locals. As you can imagine Israel is more strict than most countries the cruise lines visit.

Keith

On other suggestion. Get the telephone numbers for the port agent for both the port where you will be getting off, and the port where you will be reboarding.

That way you will have a local point of contact in case anything happens which delays you and/or delays or redirects the ship.

Excellent suggestion.

We never go ashore without the contact info for Port Agent in each port.

Quite a few people did this on my cruise last September (that is, they got off in Haifa and overnighted in Ashdod before rejoining the ship the next night). There were both ship-sponsored excursions and private excursions that offered this option; it was not a big deal at all. But as everyone else has said, you do need to get permission from the cruise line in advance.

BTW, Ashdod is only a couple hours' sailing from Haifa so it would be extremely unlikely that the ship would make one port and not the other. One of the safest "overnights" to contemplete, IMO.

MrLuckytoo,

Hello again. Technically, one does not have to get APPROVAL from your Ship...one merely has to TELL them what you are doing off-ship; because your Photo-ID swipe-card will come up a No-show when ship is ready to hoist anchor and you are not aboard.

We told the Ship's Purser (FrontDesk) one day prior to our jumping ship...at which time they retrieved our Passports from the Ship's safe....and we signed a receipt for them. Passengers 'Jumping Ship' occurs more often on longest voyages for a variety of reasons. Trusts this assists. Locomotiveman

Archived