Volcano erupts in Iceland

I have got to stop planning flights through northern Europe. :rolleyes: This is two years in a row that there's a concern from Iceland volcanos.

Hopefully this eruption will be short-lived.

Thanks for the post, Math Guy.

Keeping my fingers crossed as I'm taking Icelandair across the Atlantic to Amsterdam to catch the Rotterdam TA this July. However, its still a long way away and this should die down by then. Still, sorry for the travellers currently impacted.

Come to think of it, last year's volcanic explosion happened just a month before my planned trip to Iceland. Maybe the volcano gods are watching my travel plans. LOL!

I have got to stop planning flights through northern Europe. :rolleyes: This is two years in a row that there's a concern from Iceland volcanos.

Hopefully this eruption will be short-lived.

Thanks for the post, Math Guy.

Hi Ruth,

it is the same for me but in the opposite! I'm flying on Thusday to Vancouver via Amsterdam to cruise on Zuiderdam.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!:D

Eeek...I wonder if that will affect any of the stops on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise?

The closest port where Maasdam will be on VOV is Djúpivogur.

One of the tours is as follows:

"Travel by bus from Djúpivogur to the glacier lagoon known to the locals as Jökulsárlón. Here you will find Vatnajökull—the largest glacier in all of Europe. You will see magnificent landscapes and touch the ice. The boat trip among the floating icebergs is an unforgettable experience of dazzling white on white punctuated only by shadows and light play. A light lunch of soup and bread will be served. From Almannaskar Pass, near Höfn village, there is a striking view of the area."

Hi Ruth,

it is the same for me but in the opposite! I'm flying on Thusday to Vancouver via Amsterdam to cruise on Zuiderdam.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!:D

I'll keep my fingers crossed and my hopes high for you that you have a safe and uneventful flight. So far the news is ok for you, unless you're going through Iceland. We both hope it stays that way.

Eeek...I wonder if that will affect any of the stops on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise?

I hope not. It would be a shame to miss some of the opportunities in Reykjavik (they didn't drop that port, did they?) due to volcanic ash.

But your cruise is still a way off. Things might settle down by then---they did last year. Could happen again.

I agree it's too early to know about impact on Voyage of the Viking or various flights scheduled for July.

Fingers crossed for everyone their travel plans are not interrupted.

I am flying BA this thursday 26th AM, from LHR to LA to join my cruise , I just hope there is no delay as the ship leaves the same day as my flight , and the next port is 8 days later, all organised by P&O, I am joining a section of the "Great Alaskan Cruise" on Arcadia, I really hope its not like last year, keeping my fingers and everything else crossed , :),audrey.

The eruption in Grimsvotn, Iceland's most active volcano, started at 7pm on Saturday. It is about 10 times larger than the eruption in Eyjafjallajokull last year. During the first hours the volcano emitted about 20,000 tons of ash per socond !

I was camping some 35 miles from the volcano when this started and watched the ash cloud rise to some 50,000 feet in just 30 minutes. Three hours later the ash cloud reached us and we were forced to evacuate the tents and seek shelter in a small cabin. Everything went black and the visability was no more than 3 feet.

The "good" news is that the ash is very different than last year. It is not likely to cause a big problem for flights. The airports here in Iceland were closed on Sunday morning but will open again now on Monday afternoon. This eruption will not have any effect on cruise stops in Iceland and hopefully very little effect on flights.

The image (link) shows the ash cloud reaching our campsite. Two minutes later everything went black.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6646/askac.jpg

Hope its still erupting on June 9th and 10th 2011. Circumnavigating Iceland on Crown Princess out of Southamptom. Passed Stromboli 4 weeks ago, but it was shrouded in cloud. It usually puts on a little show of red lava but best seen after dark.

HI "Luvcruising", I am afraid this section of the cruise is a Group package deal, about 60 people wll be flying to LA with BA, and could be others with other airlines, the price of the cruise includes the flight and we sail home to Southampton. I have been in touch with P&O this morning to book extra luggage and my flight seat -via- BA, I did ask about what happens if the situation gets worse, they said they were in touch with BA and at the moment the flight will be as scheduled , so i will keep my fingers crossed, after LA we dont get to a port till Limon -Costa Rica, thats 8 days:(. I will be watching the news and hoping for the best as the fallout is due here in the UK tomorrow,take care, audrey.

High Eyeball......., If you were flying out to get to your cruise, perhaps you might give a thought to a load of cruisers who could loose their cruise due to the Volcano , I wouldnt wish anyone to miss their holiday.:(:(

The eruption in Grimsvotn, Iceland's most active volcano, started at 7pm on Saturday. It is about 10 times larger than the eruption in Eyjafjallajokull last year. During the first hours the volcano emitted about 20,000 tons of ash per socond !

I was camping some 35 miles from the volcano when this started and watched the ash cloud rise to some 50,000 feet in just 30 minutes. Three hours later the ash cloud reached us and we were forced to evacuate the tents and seek shelter in a small cabin. Everything went black and the visability was no more than 3 feet.

The "good" news is that the ash is very different than last year. It is not likely to cause a big problem for flights. The airports here in Iceland were closed on Sunday morning but will open again now on Monday afternoon. This eruption will not have any effect on cruise stops in Iceland and hopefully very little effect on flights.

The image (link) shows the ash cloud reaching our campsite. Two minutes later everything went black.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6646/askac.jpg

Amazing!

I live in Reykjavik and they are about to open the airport again. I am sure that they'll at most close European airports for a few hours. Grimsvotn eruptions usually last only a few days.

Archived