RCCL won't budge

:cool: Just an update and maybe FYI for you who purchase insurance......last month, as many of you may remember, RCCL corporate cancelled my (as well as everyone's else's) Feb 2012 Navigator cruise in the Mediterrean. The reason given was due to low sales and they decided to move the ship to Florida. As compensation, they offered $200 pp airfare transfer compensation and $200 per cabin OBC. The problem is it cost me $250pp X 4 ($1000) to change the flights....and that was only if we re-booked a RCL cruise. Since we didn't want to be out the airfare, we elected to book a later Serenade cruise.

Noting that it was going to cost us $200 more than they offered to change the tickets (flying from the West Coast), I wrote a nice letter to corporate asking they reconsider the $200, uping it to $250pp - my cost. Today I got a phone call politely telling me they thought the compensation they offered was fair, and that would offer no additional compensation. So I guess if I want to go, I pay the difference.....really doesn't seem fair to me since they cancelled the cruise......

And to those who will ask if I purchased air insurance, yes I did....and it covers everything except "they cancelled your cruise"....so check the fine print!

Just out of curiosity, what airline charges such exorbitant change fees? :eek:

I know Continental charges at least $100 for international ticket changes plus any additional air travel charges, perhaps that $250 fee includes increases in the ticket prices. I recently saw a note on a travel website that said American was charging $250 for International change fees.

Mike

:cool: Just an update and maybe FYI for you who purchase insurance......last month, as many of you may remember, RCCL corporate cancelled my (as well as everyone's else's) Feb 2012 Navigator cruise in the Mediterrean. The reason given was due to low sales and they decided to move the ship to Florida. As compensation, they offered $200 pp airfare transfer compensation and $200 per cabin OBC. The problem is it cost me $250pp X 4 ($1000) to change the flights....and that was only if we re-booked a RCL cruise. Since we didn't want to be out the airfare, we elected to book a later Serenade cruise.

Noting that it was going to cost us $200 more than they offered to change the tickets (flying from the West Coast), I wrote a nice letter to corporate asking they reconsider the $200, uping it to $250pp - my cost. Today I got a phone call politely telling me they thought the compensation they offered was fair, and that would offer no additional compensation. So I guess if I want to go, I pay the difference.....really doesn't seem fair to me since they cancelled the cruise......

And to those who will ask if I purchased air insurance, yes I did....and it covers everything except "they cancelled your cruise"....so check the fine print!

To be made whole, RCI would need to pay you an additional $200?

And after they cancelled your cruise, they are not willing to do that?

Pretty hard to believe, as I am sure that $200 they are saving will be lost in spades as far as your future patronage goes.

I would repsond with a letter back to Gold telling him just that.

If you consider the OBC .. you are still ahead of the game, $200 to change airfare plus $200 OBC pp ??

Or was the $200 OBC for just the one cabin?

If it cost $1000 to change airfare and you got $800 plus at least $200 OBC, at least you are not out of pocket? .. as you say as long as you book RCL to take the OBC offer.

You've definately been screwed here. Like someone else said - I would write again, as well as call. Tell them you will gladly take your business elsewhere in the futurre as their competition is plentiful.

Don't accept this answer, that's nuts.

If you consider the OBC .. you are still ahead of the game, $200 to change airfare plus $200 OBC pp ??

If it cost $1000 to change airfare and you got $800 plus at least $200 OBC, at least you are not out of pocket? .. as you say as long as you book RCL to take the OBC offer.

This is the way I took it too. Although they have to shell out an additional $200 for the change fees, they are getting $200 in OBC to spend once on the ship. That is enough to pay the gratuities for 3 people.

....just do what I did when RCL did the same thing to me. Just book the same cruise with one of their competitors and sail with them. And spend more money on board than you would normally to celebrate your new loyalty.;):)

The way I understood it, the OBC is only IF they rebook with RCL. If booking with another line they lose the $200 OBC.

Very disappointing.......Fair? seems like RCI is not being as reasonable as they have been in the past and unfortunately some of us have had to bite the bullet with new rulings.

Is it worth your time to pursue it further with RCI , will the airline make a concession?

To be made whole, RCI would need to pay you an additional $200?

And after they cancelled your cruise, they are not willing to do that?

Pretty hard to believe, as I am sure that $200 they are saving will be lost in spades as far as your future patronage goes.

I would repsond with a letter back to Gold telling him just that.

I agree! I sent the letter to Mr. Cain himself and the phone call came direct from his office. They were very polite, but said they wouldn't change. I made the comment that $200 was nothing compared to the loyality they would gain as we are 14 guests....but he had no comment.

That's correct...except that we have two cabins. But my point is why should I incur a penalty for their decision to cancel.....everyone else gets the perks.....and yes, that's only if I rebook. If I cancel, I'm out $1000 to change the airfare.

I'm a little confused... you got $1000 back. $800 for the airfare and the other $200 you'll get back when you're on the cruise. This is of course under the assumption you booked 4 people in one room and not two. You can apply that to gratuities. So i'm not clear on how this isn't fair compensation. You're asking for more than you spent back at this point.

*edit* I see now you actually have 2 cabins. So you're gaining $200 more than you would have had. What do you really think you deserve in terms of compensation? That's more than I would ask for for a cruise I hadn't even been on yet.

I agree! I sent the letter to Mr. Cain himself and the phone call came direct from his office. They were very polite, but said they wouldn't change. I made the comment that $200 was nothing compared to the loyality they would gain as we are 14 guests....but he had no comment.

Do you mean Mr. Fain, the CEO of RCCL? I would suggest trying again and directing your letter to Adam Goldstein, President of RCI. His office was very helpful to me when I recently had a dispute with Starboard Cruise Services the company that sells the merchandise in the ship's stores and they were being totally intransigent. Mr. Goldstein's staff contacted me and arranged a satisfactory resolution of my complaint. Unless there is some fact that you aren't telling us, I find it difficult to understand why RCI would not be more willing to reimburse you the entire change fee that you are being charged.

I'm a little confused... you got $1000 back. $800 for the airfare and the other $200 you'll get back when you're on the cruise. This is of course under the assumption you booked 4 people in one room and not two. You can apply that to gratuities. So i'm not clear on how this isn't fair compensation. You're asking for more than you spent back at this point.

*edit* I see now you actually have 2 cabins. So you're gaining $200 more than you would have had. What do you really think you deserve in terms of compensation? That's more than I would ask for for a cruise I hadn't even been on yet.

*waves* (Susie from NS)

The point is that the OP was supposed to get his airfare covered, plus the $200/cabin as a bonus. He's having to use part of his bonus to pay for the airfare while everyone else who is affected is getting the full amount. That really isn't fair.

Not to mention, what if the OP was locked into specific dates? Vacation time at work, etc, and wanted this specific itinerary and can't find it on RC during that time frame anymore? Should OP have to lose the airfare entirely because RC decided to change the cruise after opening it for booking? It is their responsibility to make travellers whole and then something for goodwill for screwing with their vacation plans.

I don't think I deserve anything more than they have offered everyone else....but everyone else gets the on board credit to buys drinks, excursions etc....not to have to pay for a change in airfare. My cost to change airfare is $250 per ticket, $50 more that they offered. All I was asking for was was compensation for a change I had no imput in to make.

In any event, you are right - I will come out ahead. But consider this....I made plans on a schedule that was in place - ie, vacation, airfares etc.....they cancelled the cruise and now I have to scramble to make everything work. $50 more a ticket is not that big of a deal - either way:D.....thanks for the flame.

Do you mean Mr. Fain, the CEO of RCCL? I would suggest trying again and directing your letter to Adam Goldstein, President of RCI. His office was very helpful to me when I recently had a dispute with Starboard Cruise Services the company that sells the merchandise in the ship's stores and they were being totally intransigent. Mr. Goldstein's staff contacted me and arranged a satisfactory resolution of my complaint. Unless there is some fact that you aren't telling us, I find it difficult to understand why RCI would not be more willing to reimburse you the entire change fee that you are being charged.

Yes, Mr Fain....typo! I appreciate your comment and I will send off a letter to Mr. Goldstein.....and no other facts....this is it!

*waves* (Susie from NS)

The point is that the OP was supposed to get his airfare covered, plus the $200/cabin as a bonus. He's having to use part of his bonus to pay for the airfare while everyone else who is affected is getting the full amount. That really isn't fair.

Not to mention, what if the OP was locked into specific dates? Vacation time at work, etc, and wanted this specific itinerary and can't find it on RC during that time frame anymore? Should OP have to lose the airfare entirely because RC decided to change the cruise after opening it for booking? It is their responsibility to make travellers whole and then something for goodwill for screwing with their vacation plans.

Thanks Susie.....you're right on the money!!!!:)

either way:D.....thanks for the flame.

Just because someone disagrees with you is not a flame. There was no bashing, name calling or hostility involved. If you think that a difference in opinion is a flame then you just convince me more than you're looking to make a fast buck off of this. It seems you want to be a victim, so go for it if that makes you feel better. :)

It is not RCIs fault that you booked such an inflexible airline deal on a website (and not with the airline) and are being charged an above average fees. I'm assuming you got a great deal on your airfare since you were willing to do it at such high change costs.

Just because someone disagrees with you is not a flame. There was no bashing, name calling or hostility involved. If you think that a difference in opinion is a flame then you just convince me more than you're looking to make a fast buck off of this. It seems you want to be a victim, so go for it if that makes you feel better. :)

It is not RCIs fault that you booked such an inflexible airline deal on a website (and not with the airline) and are being charged an above average fees. I'm assuming you got a great deal on your airfare since you were willing to do it at such high change costs.

Sherilyn...my apologies.......but, and I quote "So you're gaining $200 more than you would have had. What do you really think you deserve in terms of compensation?

I relate highlighting with flaming........and words like deserve????? But if I misunderstood your intentions, I'm sorry.....I'm just frustrated with this whole thing.......

Sherilyn...my apologies.......but, and I quote "So you're gaining $200 more than you would have had. What do you really think you deserve in terms of compensation?

I relate highlighting with flaming........and words like deserve????? But if I misunderstood your intentions, I'm sorry.....I'm just frustrated with this whole thing.......

I don't think you misunderstood her intentions. She is like that in most all her posts.

As far as your issue. You have a valid complaint and hopefully will be resolved to your satisfaction.

That is a serious question. You are gaining money. You are getting more than you spent. What do you think you deserve in compensation and why? Any time you ask a company to give you more then you need to have a solid basis and argument to back that up. They are correct in their thought that they offered you more than enough compensation. The gaining was bolded to make sure it was clear you were actually making money, not breaking even or losing. I think that really does need to be emphasized. Anything they offer beyond actual costs is something you should consider yourself lucky for instead of just feeling sorry for yourself that others got more out of it than you did. But they probably also paid more for their airfare in the long run. So who really got the better deal? Your basing your compenstation needs off of what you perceive others have over yours.

Archived