RCCL won't budge

I said it somewhere in this thread... what she asked for wasn't unreasonable. When they said no and she keeps complaining is where that line is crossed. If she wants to change their mind then she needs to show them the justification for needing/wanting a $400 bonus of money to spend on the cruise instead of $200.

I am sorry but a company says no and you don't drop it!! That is not crossing a line. My job would be SO easy if people just accepted no at first.

Edit to say* I do appreciate what you say about looking at both sides Sherilyn, and I have. I just do feel that in this case the OP should be given a bit more.

As I said earlier seems to be confusion for some of us as to whether the OP will still be out of pocket.

The Navigator is in the Med. next year, but not until the end of April. Was surprised to hear they were going to be there in February??? I think only a few ships (ncl jade) sails the Med. year round, and most don't start sailing until April/May. We are booked on the Navigator for end April 2012 E.Med.

Actally, the honest problem here is that I am naive enough to think that when people debate and make statements that they actually want to have an intellectual conversation. All I'm doing is trying to explain things better, not change anyones minds or even argue really. I just want to help people see another point of view. But most people are more interested in name calling and not willing to open up their minds... and I always forget that fact about people.

I am an extremely logic based person (aspergers's) and I am not arguing for fun like some would think. I'm honestly frustrated that people aren't willing to actually even try understand another point of view. I certainly do understand everyone elses. I also understand that most of them are emotional reactainos and not logical ones. I don't blame or put anyone down for those thing... but I get slammed for introducing logic. :)

You don't seem to be able to see that just because you state something

does not make it logical. You are not the arbiter of logic. After reading and considering your debate I found your stance extremely illogical.

Every posting of yours in this thread screams illogical. You might think you

are logic based but again that doesn't make it so. The reason you might be so frustrated is because you are not using logic in this situation.

Of course just because this is my opinion doesn't make it so.

When you book your own airfare, or any other transportation to the curise port of departure, are you not only buying a cruise, starting at the port of departure. The cruise line is just selling the cruise, the same as if you lived at the port of departure. Why would they be responsible for your transportation to the pier?:confused:

I am going to disagree with all of you. IMO the OP evidently booked his own air w/o cancel for any reason insurance. Because of this some risk must be assumed. BTW this is not the first cruise that has been canceled by a cruiseline. I say RCCL owes the OP nothing and am sure if the OP booked the air with Choice Air and/or had RCCL CruiseCare the OP would have no out of pocket expense.

I do not know how the RCCL Cruise care factors in but I believe that the terms of Choice Air state that should a passenger cancel/change their flight, they are subject to the terms and conditions and penalties assessed by the airline. Many people purchase 3rd party insurance. Even the cancel for any reason policy only refunds a portions of the fare paid.

I am going to disagree with all of you. IMO the OP evidently booked his own air w/o cancel for any reason insurance. Because of this some risk must be assumed. BTW this is not the first cruise that has been canceled by a cruiseline. I say RCCL owes the OP nothing and am sure if the OP booked the air with Choice Air and/or had RCCL CruiseCare the OP would have no out of pocket expense.

That's correct. We've done both. Purchased air on our own and sometimes used RCCL's. We've been reimbursed by RCCL in full (and quite frequently more compensation) when we included air with them. We take full responsibility on airfare's we've purchased on our own. Like everyone is saying...just keep writing and they may just change their mind. :)

I think Royal is being generous to give them $200pp for air change fees; they really don't have to do anything. It's not their problem how you are getting to the port.

That being said, op may get more if she keeps complaining to them.

Op any chance you can come back and tell us for sure if you will still be out of pocket once RCI gives you ALL they say they will?

Like some others it has got really confusing lol.

I agree that OBC has cost RCI far far less than if it was cash. That said its still comp.

Thanks everyone for the support......

James.....don't want to get long winded, but I booked via search engine the airfare because of the rising rates......sure, my risk.....but days after I booked airfare, (and 4 months after I booked the cruise) RCI cancelled the cruise. As compensation, they offered (I didn't demand!) up to $200pp for airfare changes and $200 in OBC - ONLY IF WE BOOKED ANOTHER RCI CRUISE. If we didn't, we get nothing.

My first call was to the airfare insurance company - who stated that this cancellation fell outside the realm of their policy....which I concurred. If I get sick, I'm ok ....but no company cruise cancellation.

My second call was to airlines who advised any changes to airfare would incur a $250pp charge. I booked 4 tickets so that would be $1000 to make any changes.......

If I rebook with RCI, they will refund up to $800. If I don't, too bad.

I wrote a letter and asked if RCI would compensate (and did it nicely) the entire $250pp.....they responded by phone they would not.

So, as of this moment, I haven't received any compensation yet.....I did rebook a similar cruise at the same port later in the year, so if I follow thru I will receive the $800 for airfare and $200 per cabin OBC.

I wasn't asking for anything more that what my charges were going to be...

But if I would have known Sherlyn was a professional crybaby I would have sought her help in advance....sounds like she's got it down:D

Hope that clarifies my problem.......

Lots of interesting points of view.

Yes, another $200 is a drop in the bucket for RCI, but they need to be consistent in their compensation. If the OP were to report that he/she were awarded an extra $200 on this or other message board, wouldn't RCI then be inundated with other cruisers wanting a variation in compensation to make it "fair."

What it takes to make the OP "whole" obviously varies among reasonable persons. As others have said, when we make our airfare arrangements we must take some responsibility for the decisions made. The OP probably thought they were getting a great deal on the airline fare to take the risk of paying $250 to reschedule.

This is a great learning opportunity for me and the next time I schedule my airfare I will think twice about using a consolidator.

This is a great learning opportunity for me and the next time I schedule my airfare I will think twice about using a consolidator.

Thanks....this was actually the reason for the post!!!!! Hopefully helping out someone in the future! I guess it just took a life of its own!!!!!:eek:

But if I would have known Sherlyn was a professional crybaby I would have sought her help in advance....sounds like she's got it down:D

I don't think you get it... I don't call to cry or complain. I call them to let them know about issues if there are any because that is what people should do. Instead of just stopping business with a place you should give them courtesy of knowing something was wrong. I do the same with compliments too... heck I've received free stuff for calling in to say nothing but good things too, lol. But in none of those situations have I ever asked for or expected anything in return. I also did not do it with that motivation and I think that shines through to managers. It's just honest feedback, something business love to get and appreciate.

That reminds me... we have free passes to the theater to use still after we got 2 free sets of tickets when our theater caught on fire 2 months ago, lol. We had already been reimbursed for the movie and seen it at another location, I only called to tell them what the customer experience had been like (no one even realized the fire alarm was going off, I saw some flashing lights but then it stopped and the movie kept going for another 5 minutes before they shut everything down so I thought I misunderstood what I had seen) and was offered more reimbursement. I made it clear to them that I had already been given new tickets for the movie and had seen it at another location later that day, but they gave them to me anyways.

I don't think you get it...

I don't get it?????? I wrote a nice letter, laying out the facts and asked nicely if they would reconsider their offer.......humm......I didn't - as you say, demand anything. They said no and I respected that.....wasn't necessarily happy about it but accepted it......I wasn't throwing a fit nor threatening anyone. In fact, I had already re-booked the new cruise prior to my letter.

I think you're the one that doesn't get it..............

Archived