RCCL won't budge

They are not getting $200. They are getting a $200 OBC which is completely different. That is $200 to spend on board. RCI's actual cost in that $200 is probably less than $50.

Were they not planning on paying for gratuities? If they were then it's not like this is money they weren't budgeting for. 4 peoples gratuities will be more than the cost of that OBC. They can recoup it before the cruise if they just opt to pay the gratuities onboard.

I assume the $400 in OBC and then the extra $50/person(x4 is $200) to cover the extra cancellation fees making it $600 total.

That is correct.

Were they not planning on paying for gratuities? If they were then it's not like this is money they weren't budgeting for. 4 peoples gratuities will be more than the cost of that OBC. They can recoup it before the cruise if they just opt to pay the gratuities onboard.

So then speaking from a business perspective as you alluded to earlier, you would know that is costs them nothing for gratuities other than charging your card. I wouldn't doubt that if a person were to charge absolutely nothing to their on board account except the gratuities and have it paid by a OBC, RCI probably wouldn't even put this money in the tip pool.

All the person is asking for is to have the extra $50x4 paid for(that they are having to incur due to RCI cancelling their initial cruise) for having the inconvenience of re-booking a new cruise with RCI and probably having to move around vacation time and such.

The point I'm trying to make is that RCI's costs aren't too significant here in what the OP is asking for. From my business perspective, I would think that is fairly cheap to pay for loyalty. Especially in this case where you are upsetting 4 customers and not 2. Obviously a line has to be drawn but this isn't anything outrageous.

So then speaking from a business perspective as you alluded to earlier, you would know that is costs them nothing for gratuities other than charging your card. I wouldn't doubt that if a person were to charge absolutely nothing to their on board account except the gratuities and have it paid by a OBC, RCI probably wouldn't even put this money in the tip pool.

I'm not sure how gratuities don't cost them anything. I'm sure the staff would sue them if they didn't get the money, lol. That's actually the hardest number financially that they would have to pay for. It's the drinks, photos and other things that make a marked up profit and cost them pennies on the dollars. Not the staffs gratuities.

The point I'm trying to make is that RCI's costs aren't too significant here in what the OP is asking for. From my business perspective, I would think that is fairly cheap to pay for loyalty. Especially in this case where you are upsetting 4 customers and not 2. Obviously a line has to be drawn but this isn't anything outrageous.

They did that already... it's the additional $200 in OBC she will have above the cost of airfare charges.

I'm not sure how gratuities don't cost them anything. I'm sure the staff would sue them if they didn't get the money, lol. That's actually the hardest number financially that they would have to pay for. It's the drinks, photos and other things that make a marked up profit and cost them pennies on the dollars. Not the staffs gratuities.

I'm saying they probably wouldn't pay it out if that's all that was on that room bill and credited with an OBC. From my experience I would think that most people can easily spend $200 on the ship so this type of situation would never occur. However if it did it wouldn't be that hard, they would just say that room so and so didn't pay gratuities, I'm sure that there are people on every cruise that don't pay the gratuities.

No, why would I? They know their budget and they decided to give it to me. I didn't ask for it or expect it. There is no reason to decline it though. I would not have been upset if they had just said thanks for the information and let it go at that point. Clearly RCI doesn't feel the same way, they don't think they can afford to just give her extra money because she's asking for it. However as I have pointed out many times now... if she can justify the reason for additional OBC then she's more likely to get them to listen. But how do you justify a request to just be given more free stuff?

If the money upfront is the issue, ask them to change out the $200 obc to a refund towards the airfare instead. That would be a much more reasonable request.

Actually there seems to be a pattern of behavior by our own admission that complaining equals perks/free stuff. Sure with Applebee's you may not have asked for it, but with O'Charleys, you had a good idea by that time that complaining would result in free stuff. In a sense you did ask for it. The same thing with the car dealership and the list goes on as you put it.

The difference between you complaining to these corporations and the OP's situation is that the OP did not ask for their cruise to be cancelled. I see nothing wrong with them recouping their out of pocket costs of $1,000 AND anything above that in which RCL sees fit. RCL should want to do the right thing in making them whole...at a minimum.

If I have read this thread and understand it correctly, then I agree RC should offer that bit extra.

It's not unreasonable in my opinion for what the customer has asked.

Yes RCI can cancel a cruise but they have caused this not the customer.

The customer has not changed there mind.

I agree with you, but I also see it both ways. We all know we take a chance by booking our own air. That is no secret and similar complaints always seem to come up on CC. Honestly, I do not think the cruise line (not specifically RCI) owes for airfare alter fees.

That said, in this particular case, RCI should look at it closely and try to give something to match the money lost by the Op. I'm so damn confused reading through this thread, I can't tell if that's been done or not. If so, I think all is fair.

Actually there seems to be a pattern of behavior by our own admission that complaining equals perks/free stuff. Sure with Applebee's you may not have asked for it, but with O'Charleys, you had a good idea by that time that complaining would result in free stuff. In a sense you did ask for it. The same thing with the car dealership and the list goes on as you put it.

The difference between you complaining to these corporations and the OP's situation is that the OP did not ask for their cruise to be cancelled. I see nothing wrong with them recouping their out of pocket costs of $1,000 AND anything above that in which RCL sees fit. RCL should want to do the right thing in making them whole...at a minimum.

After reading all these posts---this one I totally agree with!;)

That is an assumption on your part. I didn't ask for anything or expect anything from O'Charleys either. It was a management issue, not a food issue.

As for the car, yes I did expect some sort of compensation for misleading me on what I had purchased. But I accepted it in the form of service credits instead of cash back. That is much easier for them to recover.

sherilyn70[/left];29243255]

But honestly, I still don't feel that the extra $200 ($400 total but 200 is paying back ticket changes) in

obc

is not reasonable compensations. I'm not sure why she needs $400 (making it $600 total) other than because of a sense of entitlement.

WE KNOW! You told us like 10 times already! I know you want everyone to start to agree with you, but it is not going to happen, so give it a rest. :mad:

Like so many people already tried to explain to you RCI thinks they are giving her enough to pay the fees PLUS a bonus for the inconvenience (and the OBC is per cabin not per person ... but the extra fee she will have to pay to the airline IS per person)

The OP does not think this is a good deal because she feels she isn't getting a "bonus"... and what's it to you anyway? You disagree. (We get it!) That is your prerogative - BUT WHY CAN'T YOU MOVE ON??!!

That said, in this particular case, RCI should look at it closely and try to give something to match the money lost by the Op. I'm so damn confused reading through this thread, I can't tell if that's been done or not. If so, I think all is fair.

To clarify.... OP incurred $1000 in fees for changing air far ($250 x 4 people)

RCI gave them $200 x 4 in money back to help cover these expenses, totalling $800.

OP is now left with an additional $200 to pay.

RCI gives them $400 in OBC ($200 x 2 rooms) for the cruise.

OP has now gained $200 in addition to the charges she paid to the airline company.

Yes, $200 will be recouped at the time of the cruise... which is not the most convenient situation. But if they don't pay for gratuities upfront they won't be charged money they would have spent originally.

Seeing as how I have never cruised with RCI yet... I don't know why you would come to that conclusion. I also don't know why you would think that I would get compensation multiple times from the same company. The company is any company you've ever interacted with, not just one in particular. Every day we deal with multiple companies, from getting gas, buying breakfast, lunch, banking, shopping for groceries and the list goes on. The point is that when you have a valid complaint and present it in a solid, logical fashion, management listens.

As an example, I called Applebees headquarters. I gave them negative experiences and postive experiences all at the same time. We had had 2 bad interactions with the manager there but it hadn't ruined our overall experience. I made that very clear to them. I was simply calling them to let them know about a potential issue and training opportunity for him. I asked for nothing in return. Later that day that manager called me and said he was sending me a gift certificate for taking the opportunity to make them aware of the situation. I didn't ask how much, I didn't even care... told him he didn't need to do it but I appreciated it. A few days later I found a $50 card in the mail! I really didn't expect it to be that much since 2 people can dine for around $25.

Similar story with O'Charleys. Manager made some bad judgement calls. I just called to let the headquarters know. We got a $50 gift certificate for that as well, even though they knew we were well known regulars in the place.

When I bought my car new, I found out that some of the reasons I bought the car weren't exactly 100% on the same level of expectations I had. It was a minor inconvenience but still I had been slightly misled. I walked in with a game plan of what was fair and feasible for them to offer me as compensation and they accepted it. I had free oil changes for 2 years.

The list goes on. If you are honest and upfront and know what you want and why you want it (and why you deserve it) you are more likely to get it. Managers don't want to hear "I want it, give it to me". They want productive and constructive feedback and solutions. When they get those things from their customers they are usually willing to bend over backwards for you.

Quick question Sherilyn, highlghting your comments above, is that not what the OP did? Didn't sound like they were trying to make a quick buck to me. They gave RCI a solution which sounded well thought out and reasonable to me.

OP - I think you missed out on good customer care experience/flexibilty from RCI. As someone else suggested write to the top man and if you don't get a result you feel is appropriate take your bussiness elswhere when you get the opportunity. Thanks for the heads up in the insurance small print and happy sailings to you.

Op any chance you can come back and tell us for sure if you will still be out of pocket once RCI gives you ALL they say they will?

Like some others it has got really confusing lol.

I agree that OBC has cost RCI far far less than if it was cash. That said its still comp.

As compensation, they offered $200 pp airfare transfer compensation quote]

$250.00 is reasonable because many airlines charge a $250.00 change fee (plus any additional airfare).

SWISS charges a $250.00pp change fee.

Btw, when Azamara (RCCL brand) canceled Egypt on the April and May itineraries they offered up to $500.00 per person in change fees and non-refundable hotel charges if anyone wanted to switch to another date. We received the $250.00pp change fee as a discount off of our new itinerary. They also offered $500.00 OBC per cabin if you switched to a new itinerary, and actually $1,000.00 OBC per stateroom for those who stayed on the same itinerary.

That is an assumption on your part. I didn't ask for anything or expect anything from O'Charleys either. It was a management issue, not a food issue.

As for the car, yes I did expect some sort of compensation for misleading me on what I had purchased. But I accepted it in the form of service credits instead of cash back. That is much easier for them to recover.

Not making an assumption at all, but I see a pattern of behavior with just a wee bit of entitlement on your part. This is the same thing you accused the OP of for wanting to be made whole. This is an RCL service issue that managment should take another look at.

I'm not sure how you would presume to know how two years of free services at a car dealership is easier to recover (as opposed to?) when they have mechanics and other overhead expenses to pay (parts, oil, filters, etc.). As a family of business owners, I can assure you there is no such thing as easy recovery.

But if you say so, OK. :rolleyes:

I said it somewhere in this thread... what she asked for wasn't unreasonable. When they said no and she keeps complaining is where that line is crossed. If she wants to change their mind then she needs to show them the justification for needing/wanting a $400 bonus of money to spend on the cruise instead of $200.

I think what you are not getting is that air fare change fee and OBC are separate and distinct items and one has nothing to do with the other. Everyone who was effected by the cancellation is getting the same OBC, including those who might not have purchased their airfare as of yet.

OP needs to pay $200 more for their change than was offered. The change was through no fault of OP, but rather the fault of the cruiseline. While I often defend the cruiseline, in this case, I think the cruiseline should anti up and cover the actual cost of changing flights which was necessitated by their cancellation.

You know... he also has a good business mind. He agrees on all of this. In fact many of you are sounding much like his ex-wife who has forced him into bankruptcy due to the "me me me" attitude about money and throwing out extra money for the sake of wanting it. She never understood that if you spend all the money on toys you can't pay the mortgage... and then she lied to him and didn't tell her she wasn't paying the bill and he found out when they started the foreclosure. That's when he finally walked. it's not that they didn't have the money or couldn't afford the house, she just wasn't spending her money responsibly.

No, why would I? They know their budget and they decided to give it to me. I didn't ask for it or expect it. There is no reason to decline it though. I would not have been upset if they had just said thanks for the information and let it go at that point. Clearly RCI doesn't feel the same way, they don't think they can afford to just give her extra money because she's asking for it. However as I have pointed out many times now... if she can justify the reason for additional OBC then she's more likely to get them to listen. But how do you justify a request to just be given more free stuff?

If the money upfront is the issue, ask them to change out the $200 obc to a refund towards the airfare instead. That would be a much more reasonable request.

At first I found this poster some what amusing in a twisted way.

It can be fun to listen to someone argue so strongly that the world is wrong and she is right if you will only accept her logic. It stops being amusing and becomes just plain sad when anyone can quickly see where the problem lies.

There is obviously something sadly wrong here.

That's correct...except that we have two cabins. But my point is why should I incur a penalty for their decision to cancel.....everyone else gets the perks.....and yes, that's only if I rebook. If I cancel, I'm out $1000 to change the airfare.

Small claims court maybe? Sue them.

This has got to be the craziest thread I've ever read.

The long and short of it is, the OP only comes out $200 ahead IF THEY REBOOK WITH RCI. If they don't, they're in the hole $200 for change fees. RCI should at least make them whole.

As compensation, they offered $200 pp airfare transfer compensation quote]

$250.00 is reasonable because many airlines charge a $250.00 change fee (plus any additional airfare).

SWISS charges a $250.00pp change fee.

Btw, when Azamara (RCCL brand) canceled Egypt on the April and May itineraries they offered up to $500.00 per person in change fees and non-refundable hotel charges if anyone wanted to switch to another date. We received the $250.00pp change fee as a discount off of our new itinerary. They also offered $500.00 OBC per cabin if you switched to a new itinerary, and actually $1,000.00 OBC per stateroom for those who stayed on the same itinerary.

WOW, Azamara was VERY generous. I'm sure the cruisers were only too happy to sail or rebook with them. :D Nice choice of options.

I'm not sure how you would presume to know how two years of free services at a car dealership is easier to recover (as opposed to?) when they have mechanics and other overhead expenses to pay (parts, oil, filters, etc.). As a family of business owners, I can assure you there is no such thing as easy recovery.

It was not a presumption. Which is easier for you to payout though.... $500 all at once in cash? or as $30 credits over 2 years? The manager agreed with me on this and said it was easier than reimbursing me for the cost of the service they didn't provide properly in my car (it was a remote starter discrepancy). Service is where companies mark up and get the most profit, most companies upsell services for this reason.

Wow....the OP has flown the coup on this thread yet the debate goes on.

Sherilyn70 the point is the OP shouldn't have to take another cruise just to get ahead, which is the point I think you're over looking. The OP should be even without taking another cruise. JMO.

I am surprised to hear the insurance does not cover if a cruise is cancelled, and will look at the fine print a litlle closer. I guess I'm equally surprised the cruise was cancelled as I have never thought that could happen without a catistrophic situation or major weather event.

At first I found this poster some what amusing in a twisted way.

It can be fun to listen to someone argue so strongly that the world is wrong and she is right if you will only accept her logic. It stops being amusing and becomes just plain sad when anyone can quickly see where the problem lies.

There is obviously something sadly wrong here.

Actally, the honest problem here is that I am naive enough to think that when people debate and make statements that they actually want to have an intellectual conversation. All I'm doing is trying to explain things better, not change anyones minds or even argue really. I just want to help people see another point of view. But most people are more interested in name calling and not willing to open up their minds... and I always forget that fact about people.

I am an extremely logic based person (aspergers's) and I am not arguing for fun like some would think. I'm honestly frustrated that people aren't willing to actually even try understand another point of view. I certainly do understand everyone elses. I also understand that most of them are emotional reactainos and not logical ones. I don't blame or put anyone down for those thing... but I get slammed for introducing logic. :)

I am going to disagree with all of you. IMO the OP evidently booked his own air w/o cancel for any reason insurance. Because of this some risk must be assumed. BTW this is not the first cruise that has been canceled by a cruiseline. I say RCCL owes the OP nothing and am sure if the OP booked the air with Choice Air and/or had RCCL CruiseCare the OP would have no out of pocket expense.

Archived