RCCL won't budge

It is not RCIs fault that you booked such an inflexible airline deal

However, it was RCI that pulled the rug out by cancelling the cruise.

Think how you (or anyone) would feel if that happened to you.

I know I would be furious and want a pound of flesh and a quart of blood.:eek:

I don't think you misunderstood her intentions. She is like that in most all her posts.

Like what? Straight forward? Not sugar coating? Pointing out facts? How dare I ask a logical question instead of reacting emotionally to the situation. People don't like to hear the truth, I realize that. But the reality is she had a gain and not a loss in the end.

Because I do ask myself these same questions and have answers before I complain to a company, I almost always get the compensations I ask for. In fact I often get far more than I expect because I am respected by the company for being logical and not seen as just being out for a quick buck. You have to understand how to justify it first before they'll take you seriously. If you can come up with a valid reason as to why you deserve more money than other people got then they're far more likely to consider the request.

However, it was RCI that pulled the rug out by cancelling the cruise.

Think how you (or anyone) would feel if that happened to you.

I know I would be furious and want a pound of flesh and a quart of blood.:eek:

If I made $200 off of the deal I would not be furious at all. I might be upset they canceled the cruise, but not at the compensation itself. I also would blame myself if I had booked with a company that charges such high fees... I look a that in addition to my costs for the tickets/services before I book. My first question to RCI, my TA, and Delta were what were the fees involved if things needed to be cancelled or changed. I hold myself accountable for any decisions like that that I make.

Because I do ask myself these same questions and have answers before I complain to a company, I almost always get the compensations I ask for. In fact I often get far more than I expect because I am respected by the company

"the company"?

Just curious, is "the company" RCI?

I get the impression that from what you wrote that "the company" has routinely provided disservices to you, and you seem quite experienced at handling the disservices rendered.

Personally, I would rather be an ex-customer than a "respected customer" of a company that regularly sticks it to me.

OK guys, let's not bash the OP. She/he came here to give folks a heads up of what can happen when the cruise line cancels your cruise.

Yes, the change fees are above the norm, but OP planned ahead (no crime there) and purchased air insurance. They are only made whole IF they rebook with RCL. I don't see an extra $200 in OBC (which would not be the case if they only had one cabin) as making money. This really should be considered compensation for the hassle of having to rearrange their vacation. These things (rebooking air, hotels, checking new cruise schedules, ships, etc.) take time and OP would not have to do this had RCL not canceled the cruise.

OP - did you purchase any other type of travel insurance that may be helpful? Just wondering if the trip cancellation/interruption would help with the change fees.

"the company"?

Just curious, is "the company" RCI?

Seeing as how I have never cruised with RCI yet... I don't know why you would come to that conclusion. I also don't know why you would think that I would get compensation multiple times from the same company. The company is any company you've ever interacted with, not just one in particular. Every day we deal with multiple companies, from getting gas, buying breakfast, lunch, banking, shopping for groceries and the list goes on. The point is that when you have a valid complaint and present it in a solid, logical fashion, management listens.

As an example, I called Applebees headquarters. I gave them negative experiences and postive experiences all at the same time. We had had 2 bad interactions with the manager there but it hadn't ruined our overall experience. I made that very clear to them. I was simply calling them to let them know about a potential issue and training opportunity for him. I asked for nothing in return. Later that day that manager called me and said he was sending me a gift certificate for taking the opportunity to make them aware of the situation. I didn't ask how much, I didn't even care... told him he didn't need to do it but I appreciated it. A few days later I found a $50 card in the mail! I really didn't expect it to be that much since 2 people can dine for around $25.

Similar story with O'Charleys. Manager made some bad judgement calls. I just called to let the headquarters know. We got a $50 gift certificate for that as well, even though they knew we were well known regulars in the place.

When I bought my car new, I found out that some of the reasons I bought the car weren't exactly 100% on the same level of expectations I had. It was a minor inconvenience but still I had been slightly misled. I walked in with a game plan of what was fair and feasible for them to offer me as compensation and they accepted it. I had free oil changes for 2 years.

The list goes on. If you are honest and upfront and know what you want and why you want it (and why you deserve it) you are more likely to get it. Managers don't want to hear "I want it, give it to me". They want productive and constructive feedback and solutions. When they get those things from their customers they are usually willing to bend over backwards for you.

Im used to dealing with Carnival lately and Im amazed that RCL is giving as much as they are. Carnival is so cheap to deal with.

If they had cancelled a cruise that far out I doubt they would have offered the money for the airfare change.. that's why Im surprised RCL is this generous.

Im glad to hear it. I had one issue with Carnival a few years back and always felt that RCL would have done something to compensate me .. but Carnival zip, nadda. And all the carnival loyalists seem to think its par for the course.

Im used to dealing with Carnival lately and Im amazed that RCL is giving as much as they are. Carnival is so cheap to deal with.

If they had cancelled a cruise that far out I doubt they would have offered the money for the airfare change.. that's why Im surprised RCL is this generous.

Im glad to hear it. I had one issue with Carnival a few years back and always felt that RCL would have done something to compensate me .. but Carnival zip, nadda. And all the carnival loyalists seem to think its par for the course.

I agree. Carnival in 2006 just said "sorry about your luck" when I had major issues with my room and room steward. They had zero desire to actually try and help or compensate. That is a company that doesn't like to do anything for anyone ever. I saw another thread where they (Carnival) changed the ports of call on a cruise and they said that "reasonable time" to make a decision was 24 hours or you couldn't get your money back if you no longer wanted to do that route. I don't think 24 hours is enough time to get the news and digest it and consult with the rest of the traveling members.

Seeing as how I have never cruised with RCI yet... I don't know why you would come to that conclusion.

I did not "come to that conclusion".

I was just wondering, so, I simply asked you if it was RCI since the entire thread is about RCI.:rolleyes:

You provided an answer, and now I know. Simple as that.

Thank you.

If I made $200 off of the deal I would not be furious at all. I might be upset they canceled the cruise, but not at the compensation itself. I also would blame myself if I had booked with a company that charges such high fees... I look a that in addition to my costs for the tickets/services before I book. My first question to RCI, my TA, and Delta were what were the fees involved if things needed to be cancelled or changed. I hold myself accountable for any decisions like that that I make.

I nominate the guy in your picture for sainthood.

If you can come up with a valid reason as to why you deserve more money than other people got then they're far more likely to consider the request.

The OP booked airfare to the Med region to take a specific cruise.

RC cancelled that cruise.

The OP now has no reason to use the tickets and needs to cancel them.

The fee to do so is $250, which is not unheard of for international flights. Since RC's cruise cancellation is the reason the OP needs to cancel the airfare, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect RC to cover the full cost of the air cancellation, regardless of whether the OP books another RC cruise or not. And that should be in addition to the OBC offered on a subsequent cruise booking.

As an example, I called Applebees headquarters. I gave them negative experiences and postive experiences all at the same time. We had had 2 bad interactions with the manager there but it hadn't ruined our overall experience. I made that very clear to them. I was simply calling them to let them know about a potential issue and training opportunity for him. I asked for nothing in return. Later that day that manager called me and said he was sending me a gift certificate for taking the opportunity to make them aware of the situation. I didn't ask how much, I didn't even care... told him he didn't need to do it but I appreciated it. A few days later I found a $50 card in the mail! I really didn't expect it to be that much since 2 people can dine for around $25.

Similar story with O'Charleys. Manager made some bad judgement calls. I just called to let the headquarters know. We got a $50 gift certificate for that as well, even though they knew we were well known regulars in the place.

When I bought my car new, I found out that some of the reasons I bought the car weren't exactly 100% on the same level of expectations I had. It was a minor inconvenience but still I had been slightly misled. I walked in with a game plan of what was fair and feasible for them to offer me as compensation and they accepted it. I had free oil changes for 2 years.

The list goes on. If you are honest and upfront and know what you want and why you want it (and why you deserve it) you are more likely to get it. Managers don't want to hear "I want it, give it to me". They want productive and constructive feedback and solutions. When they get those things from their customers they are usually willing to bend over backwards for you.

wow. you. are. amazing.

The OP booked airfare to the Med region to take a specific cruise.

RC cancelled that cruise.

The OP now has no reason to use the tickets and needs to cancel them.

The fee to do so is $250, which is not unheard of for international flights. Since RC's cruise cancellation is the reason the OP needs to cancel the airfare, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect RC to cover the full cost of the air cancellation, regardless of whether the OP books another RC cruise or not. And that should be in addition to the OBC offered on a subsequent cruise booking.

Well then that is the answer she should give. And the solution should be to present a logical reason that she should get both compensations. If she can show them that most airlines or sites charge $250 for internatinoal flight changes... well then she should show them that. The more you can document to them to prove your case the more willing they will be to listen and accomodate.

But honestly, I still don't feel that the extra $200 ($400 total but 200 is paying back ticket changes) in obc is not reasonable compensations. I'm not sure why she needs $400 (making it $600 total) other than because of a sense of entitlement.

If I have read this thread and understand it correctly, then I agree RC should offer that bit extra.

It's not unreasonable in my opinion for what the customer has asked.

Yes RCI can cancel a cruise but they have caused this not the customer.

The customer has not changed there mind.

If I have read this thread and understand it correctly, then I agree RC should offer that bit extra.

It's not unreasonable in my opinion for what the customer has asked.

Yes RCI can cancel a cruise but they have caused this not the customer.

The customer has not changed there mind.

It is not unreasonable to ask... but is also not unreasonable for them to say no. She is getting an extra $200 for the inconvenience after compensation for ticket charges.

It is not unreasonable to ask... but is also not unreasonable for them to say no. She is getting an extra $200 for the inconvenience after compensation for ticket charges.

But the "extra" $200 is only IF the OP rebooks with RCL. In all honesty, they are only receiving $800 in cash to cover the change fees. The OBC is not in the form of cash, therefore RCL is not making the OP whole. OP is still out-of-pocket $200 cash.

The $400 you refer to is because the OP had two cabins, but again it is not in the form of cash so it is irrelevant unless they rebook with RCL.

OP - I don't know that I would rebook with RCL in this case.

Well then that is the answer she should give. And the solution should be to present a logical reason that she should get both compensations. If she can show them that most airlines or sites charge $250 for internatinoal flight changes... well then she should show them that. The more you can document to them to prove your case the more willing they will be to listen and accomodate.

But honestly, I still don't feel that the extra $200 ($400 total but 200 is paying back ticket changes) in obc is not reasonable compensations. I'm not sure why she needs $400 (making it $600 total) other than because of a sense of entitlement.

Ok, now I am confused. How did you come up with $600?

They are not getting $200. They are getting a $200 OBC which is completely different. That is $200 to spend on board. RCI's actual cost in that $200 is probably less than $50.

The fact that they are more than likely going to be saving money from other travelers flight cancellation fees as some will probably only be $100 or $150, I don't see why RCI wouldn't just chip in the extra $50 per person in this case to the people making noise about it. That's a pretty cheap price to pay for loyalty. The OP could just as soon book with another cruise line in the area and RCI would lose their business altogether.

Ok, now I am confused. How did you come up with $600?

I assume the $400 in OBC and then the extra $50/person(x4 is $200) to cover the extra cancellation fees making it $600 total.

Archived