Celebrity Gratuities

Miss UK

Not a valid comparison. The price difference is way beyond the 'tip/grat/service'.

Other than room size, ship size and included alcohol you would be amazed at how well Celebrity compares with the lux lines. Cruise some of them and get back with me.

The cost for a couple having a 14 night cruise is £215 in uk money plus any other tips for people who you think deserve them. Now celebrity have put drinks prices up !!!!

Maybe the xtra money being charged for the drinks should have gone towards the staff, Just a thought. We intend to have our tips paid before we leave on our cruise.

John

Other than room size, ship size and included alcohol you would be amazed at how well Celebrity compares with the lux lines. Cruise some of them and get back with me.

If I price up a smaller Celebrity ship, pre-pay tips and take a Premium Alcoholic drinks package is your view that the cost would be similar?

My view is that the price difference would be substantial. If I am wrong then I may well be interested.

I haven't done this type of comparison - could you be more definitive on the comparison you have in mind.

Now celebrity have put drinks prices up !!!!

Maybe the xtra money being charged for the drinks should have gone towards the staff, Just a thought. We intend to have our tips paid before we leave on our cruise.

John

John

Are you thinking of the inclusion of 15% in the drink prices or the drink package change? I haven't heard if on-ship prices went up - have I missed something?

Sadly, there is a certain element which takes umbrage at having to pay gratuities, or service charge, or whatever dsecription comes in mind. They utilize euphemisms in an attemp to justify their attempts to stiff the staff, or crew, or all of the aforesaid.

from rollexx

I just finished reading an interesting book by a former Carnival employee..

"The truth about Cruise Ships". The author Jay Herring, a former I/T officer for Carnival, tells what life was like at sea for Officer, Staff, and Crew ranked employees. Much of the book is about the after hour drinking and hook ups between Officers and Staff members but he also tells what life was like for the crew ranked employees. Not a pretty picture.

I knew that crew members were paid well below minimum wage but not just HOW much. .15 cents an hour.. about $50 a week. The industry gets

away with this by registering their ships outside the US.

So....... it is what it is. If you enjoy cheap cruising like I do, just treat

the autotip as part of the price of admission and avoid all this debate.

IMHO anyone who removes the autotip knowing just how little the crew is paid should be keelhauled.

The cost for a couple having a 14 night cruise is £215 in uk money plus any other tips for people who you think deserve them. Now celebrity have put drinks prices up !!!!

John

On cruises going out of Southhampton the tip has been included in the cost of the drinks. They had to do that because there were passengers trying to have those tips removed.

If tips are included as part of the fare the tips would reflect on the bottom line and there would have to be a profit made on them. IMHO the way it is done is the best way.

I cannot abide the attitiude of mostly UK customers getting all upset about the gratuities . We all are tarred with the same penny pinching brush and I think that if you decide to sail on an American cruise line you should abide by the rules and pay up or stay with P&O .

When you consider how hard the staff work and that they are away from home for months on end I think they deserve every penny /dollar they get . I usually end up giving more at the end of the cruise as well as paying the automatice gratuity.

Scotslizzy

Well said Lizzy. I get really upset when US cruisers start on us assuming we will not pay the tips. It's time the cruise lines just accepted that some people won't tip and made it a booking condition that tips are paid upfront as per Select Dining. Ok, let the flaming begin. Its better than having people assume we are non-tippers when they hear the accent.

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I think $11.50 a day is far too much.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

It's not really a 'tip' as we know it in the UK, i.e. an optional amount added for good service. It's really a more-or-less mandatory service charge.

As others have said the gratuities go towards the tipped crew's income which would otherwise be very low. Some don't like this approach but it's the way it is. Part of the problem is the cruise lines 'dancing round the handbags' in their literature; they write in terms of 'customary', 'recommended amounts', 'guidelines' rather than use terms like 'expected'.

There are some cruise lines which include gratuities in the fare, BUT fare prices are higher to reflect this.

Hi, just a question..

Celebrity automatically adds gratuities for your restaurant and cabin services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis at $11.50 per person, per day, if you're in a standard cabin; would it be acceptable to ask them not to do this when you check-in and say at the end of your cruise you will give tips in envelopes to the staff who you think deserve it?

Thank you.

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

Yet again I hang my head, ashamed to be British.

$11.50 a day is not "far too much"....it is peanuts when you see how hard they work. Surely if you can afford a few thousand for a cruise, you can afford £7.32pp a day in tips (a packet of cigarettes costs almost the same to put it in perspective). If you can't then perhaps cruising on a 5* line is not for you and perhaps you should stick to Thomsons or P&O.....

The discussion concerning "Tips" and auto-tipping can easily be remedied by referring to the Gratuities as a Service Charge. It could then be itemized in the Cruise Passage fees as equal to Port Fees.

Based on people who do not want to pay auto-tips. Does that mean that I do not have pay my share of the port fees because I despise Cozumel?????

$11.50 a day is not "far too much"....it is peanuts when you see how hard they work. Surely if you can afford a few thousand for a cruise, you can afford £7.32pp a day in tips (a packet of cigarettes costs almost the same to put it in perspective). If you can't then perhaps cruising on a 5* line is not for you and perhaps you should stick to Thomsons or P&O.....

I certainly agree about the amounts. We are just off the Century and $11.50 gets you a martini or a couple of premium coffee drinks. It's not that much in the whole scheme of things.

Based on people who do not want to pay auto-tips. Does that mean that I do not have pay my share of the port fees because I despise Cozumel?????

That'll be next ;) "Well I didn't get off the ship, I shouldn't have to pay Port Fees :rolleyes:"

Hi,

Yes It's different on a Celebrity ship, once on board you are on American 'soil' and if you've ever been to the states you will know tipping is simply not only good manners but the way the staff make ends meet. These workers don't have Uk laws to provide a minimum wage.

Yes I know tipping in the UK is somewhat different but most Uk travel agents are including tips in their prices now for a reason.

However I'm sure that once you've cruised Celebrity, met the staff particularly your cabin steward and his/her assistant , the wait staff in the dining room, the women who keep the ladies loos so clean you could eat your dinner in there,not to mention the staff who spend all day cleaning all the public areas , the staff who help you with the pool towels, the bar staff and all the others too numerous to mention you will realise that Celebrity are not over charging for tips.

Please take my advice and pack a purse full of Pound coins for tipping room service and for any extras your steward provides and don't forget your cabin steward's assistant isn't included in the tipping system so he/she needs a proper tip at the end of your holiday.

We have cruised on Celebrity Eclipse twice, once from Southampton where the up roar about the added tips on the drinks made my whole party cringe and had me shamlessly over tipping and once from Miami. Let me tell you there was a differant atmosphere on board to say the least.

My family and I are sailing this year from Barcelona in the hope that by next year the UK customers will have caught on and started to show the generousity of spirit I know they are capable of.

Have a lovely holiday.

Hi, just a question..

Celebrity automatically adds gratuities for your restaurant and cabin services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis at $11.50 per person, per day, if you're in a standard cabin; would it be acceptable to ask them not to do this when you check-in and say at the end of your cruise you will give tips in envelopes to the staff who you think deserve it?

Thank you.

Get over it, just pre pay your gratuities. That makes sure the right employees get the right amount. It also means you can tip extra to those who you think deserve more.

As a UK citizen it makes me angry that we have such a negative attitude (in the UK) towards paying gratuities.

As former P&O cruiser the extra that Celebrity charge is worth every penny.

Those of us who can afford to take a cruise are hugely priviledged. IMHO if you can afford to pay for a cruise then why are you not prepared to tip the amazing crew for all their hard work?

I have added my comments earlier but to avoid some penny piniching miserly custmers I would suggest that the service charge is made compulsary if you dont pay you don't get to sail on the fab ships !

Scotslizzy

Hi Albert:), no need to be ashamed. It is probably far and few between

who think this way. And there are those of us across the pond from

you doing the same things.:rolleyes: I don't think they represent the majority

of those of us who cruise. (Thankfully:D)

Of course I agree you about the amount. That small $ goes to...what?

At least 4 people?:eek:....they really do work their behinds off for us.

It is definitely not far too much!

How sad when people are having such a lovely time on their cruises they don't realise/appreciate just how the wonderful Celebrity crew/staff help to make their holiday so pleasurable. The crew and staff on Celebrity work so hard and are almost without exception IMHO very cheerful, friendly and most helpful.

I would never not paid the grats, and usually cash tip more. We do not book suites but inside cabins and we are always treated exceptionally well.

from rollexx

I just finished reading an interesting book by a former Carnival employee..

"The truth about Cruise Ships". The author Jay Herring, a former I/T officer for Carnival, tells what life was like at sea for Officer, Staff, and Crew ranked employees. Much of the book is about the after hour drinking and hook ups between Officers and Staff members but he also tells what life was like for the crew ranked employees. Not a pretty picture.

I knew that crew members were paid well below minimum wage but not just HOW much. .15 cents an hour.. about $50 a week. The industry gets

away with this by registering their ships outside the US.

So....... it is what it is. If you enjoy cheap cruising like I do, just treat

the autotip as part of the price of admission and avoid all this debate.

IMHO anyone who removes the autotip knowing just how little the crew is paid should be keelhauled.

I'm afraid to tell you that they don't get $50 a week, it is actually $50 a MONTH!!! :eek: And they have to pay for their uniforms as well!!

My son works for RCI so I would imagine that it's the same for Celebrity staff.

Most service staff work at least 16 hours a day, so please remember this anyone who thinks that the tips are too high! :eek:

Sue

Get over it, just pre pay your gratuities. That makes sure the right employees get the right amount. It also means you can tip extra to those who you think deserve more.

Does the cruise line have a greater duty to ensure staff who represent it by working so hard are paid to a reasonable base level?

To treat the staffing of ships as it's overheads.

To cost and charge a fare needed to sustain the business and not leave its employees to the vagaries of cultural choice?

Yes it's the US model. So next time you are buying a car or TV, freezer etc YOU will no doubt be adding a tip for the sales person and not negotiating hard to ensure the staff get a decent income despite the fact that their employer has priced at below cost.

I am not ashamed to be British - I am proud to be British. I am also proud of our culture. I accept that cultures around the world differ and that the culture in the US is to tip a lot more people and a higher amount than here.

The poster who feels that $11.50 is too much is probably only comparing what she'd pay here when staying in a hotel and eating meals out. On that basis $11.50 is a lot.

I blame Celebrity and the Travel Agents for her view. You all flamed her and complained that she hadn't looked into what the 'tip'covered. I ask why should she? It should be down to X and the TAs to make it clear what it covers. They put a lot of effort into advertising what great prices you can cruise for - I think they should put more effort into making it clear what it doesn't cover!

We cruise RCI and accept we have to immerse ourselves in US culture even if we sail from the UK. We will soon be sailing X for the first time along with friends who have never sailed. One of them asked us if he will feel 'ripped off' when he is on board and tips are added to everything he buys (we have prepaid gratuiuties so were referring to drinks from the bar)? We told him he just has to remember he is in the US and that's the way it works 'over there'. He then fully understood and accepted it although he would still prefer to choose the amount himself.

The staff on the ship's are absolutely fantastic, I wouldn't dream of removing the gratuities! I'm only 20 years old so don't earn a huge wage, but I always make sure I have enough spending money to tip the staff extra-what is an extra $1 on each cocktail that is $9? It is true that the British don't like to add these grats, many times I've head "I've spent £1000pp on this cruise, why should I spend any more?", which I think is wrong!

jenpet

Your culture is obviously not used to tipping, but like the old saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". If you want to cruise on a US based cruise line, you suck it up and pay the gratuities or you sit home. BTW, who is anyone to decide what is fair and what is not? Do you realize how many hours a day these people work to make your cruise a happy one----14 hours or more? If you have a problem with the $50USD a month these workers get from the cruise line, complain to the big bosses and don't take it out on the workers. To be quite frank, it's attitudes such as yours that forced nearly every cruise line to add on the tips, and stopped passengers from tipping at the end, because the crew was being stiffed by those who refused to tip even one pence.

You say there are cruise lines that include the tips? Of course there are, but believe me, if you're paying, for example, $1000 for your cruise on Celebrity, you'll be paying $3500 or more for the same cruise on lines that include gratuities in their fares----lines like Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. So, you see, if you don't want to tip, you're going to be PAYING one way or another if you go on a line that includes tips. And if you're honest with yourself, you're getting away cheap by just paying the tips instead of moving on to other lines that include gratuities.

Oh, and if you don't like paying tips, find a travel agent that pays them for you. My travel agent pays my tips as a thank you for my business. And even with that, I ALWAYS tip extra because I appreciate the hard work these crew members do for me.

Yes it's the US model. So next time you are buying a car or TV, freezer etc YOU will no doubt be adding a tip for the sales person and not negotiating hard to ensure the staff get a decent income despite the fact that their employer has priced at below cost.

This is a very bad comparison and is not relevant to the issue at hand. Most who sell items here in the US are on salary, and are not based on tips. And, with today's markup of items such as cars, televisions and the rest, even with "sale" prices, they are not losing money. Now, if you were to talk about those in the service industry, such as waiters, waitresses, buspersons and the like, tipping is the same. Those workers are not paid the US minimum hourly wage because they rely on tips in addition to their hourly salary. Got a problem, sail on lines that include gratuities in their fares, and pay 3 to 4 times what you pay on Celebrity, et.al.

Archived