New York help and advice please

chirpy007

Hi, lots of help needed please :D. We arrive at JFK for a two stay in NY and then pick up a cruise.

I would like to see the "normal attractions"

Ellis Island

Empire State Building

Central Park

SOL

Brooklyn bridge

possibly ground zero

and a perhaps a good show for the second night prefably near the hotel as not sure how safe i would feel travelling around at night time)

So my questions are:

Best hotel (area) to stay in with regard to getting back and forth to the port and attractions ( l realise these are spread out but not sure what are is best).

Is a cab the best option from the airport and then back to the port?

and finally on demarkation day we have quite a late flight (18.15) so would like ideas of what to do all day (bearing in mind we have luggage).

Sorry there is so much, l have been looking but just end up confused :confused::confused:

many thanks

Marie

We always stay at the Holiday Inn on W 57th street. It's a very short trip to the port from there. And, we can easily catch a cab to the various attractions we want to see. For Ground Zero, you can take the subway (can't remember which line, but the hotel can help you).

Most of what you want to see can be easily accessed by cab. We've gone up to the Empire State Building a number of times. And, if you like shopping, don't miss a walk down 5th avenue. I LOVED it!!!

I've heard that a cab to/from the airport is the best way to go. For your last day, you won't be able to store your luggage anywhere. You might want to look into getting an earlier flight, if possible. OR, talk to the hotel concierge before your cruise.... a little bit of $ can go a long way ;).... they might be able to hold onto your luggage for you after the cruise.

For a show, we have found the best thing to do was stand in the "Will call" line for a matinee for any no-shows. That's how we got in to see Chicago a few years ago. The prices can't be beat, either....much less than purchasing them directly.

Hi, lots of help needed please :D. We arrive at JFK for a two stay in NY and then pick up a cruise.

Ellis Island

Empire State Building

Central Park

SOL

Brooklyn bridge

possibly ground zero

and a perhaps a good show for the second night prefably near the hotel as not sure how safe i would feel travelling around at night time) - I can understand your safety concerns, but NY is a 7x24 city and the buses and subways would still be busy and well traveled after a Broadway show.

So my questions are:

Best hotel (area) to stay in with regard to getting back and forth to the port and attractions ( l realise these are spread out but not sure what are is best). It looks like you're sailing Princess, which leaves from Brooklyn. This means that any midtown or downtown location would work for you (not upper east or west side). Central Park and the EOS are in midtown, ground zero, the SOL/Ellis Island ferries, and Brooklyn Bridge are downtown. The port is in Brooklyn, which is accessible via the Brooklyn Bridge.

Is a cab the best option from the airport and then back to the port? Cab or car service - there is a fixed rate from JFK to Manhattan - $45 + tolls + tips - probably about $60. Cab to the port will be $20-$35 depending on where your hotel is.

and finally on demarkation day we have quite a late flight (18.15) so would like ideas of what to do all day (bearing in mind we have luggage). There is luggage storage at Schwartz Travel on W. 36th St in Manhattan - cab to midtown, luggage storage, and cab to JFK would be an option.

Sorry there is so much, l have been looking but just end up confused :confused::confused:

many thanks

Marie

What are your exact dates and what is your hotel budget? Staying in Brooklyn could be a less expensive alternative, but you would have to travel by subway to Manhattan. Lower Manhattan is close to Brooklyn, but midtown is a further distance. If you're serious about the SOL and Ellis Island, you need to book tickets - plan on it taking most of the day. Empire State is open 8 am to 2 am, so there's more flexibility there.

We are going Oct 13 2011 and picking up the cruise on 15th. Not sure i would want to stay in Brooklyn. Dont really have a hotel budget as such but looking around $150 per night. Have thought about Priceline but wanted an idea of area first.

Thanks so far :D

$150/night is highly optimistic for a Manhattan hotel room for your dates - fall is a popular season in NY. You may find rooms for that price, but you need to check out their reviews carefully - some are real dives. Generally we don't recommend hotels that have less than a 3* rating in NY - even many of the 3* hotels will not be on a par with 3* hotels in other areas of the country.

$150/night is highly optimistic for a Manhattan hotel room for your dates - fall is a popular season in NY. You may find rooms for that price, but you need to check out their reviews carefully - some are real dives. Generally we don't recommend hotels that have less than a 3* rating in NY - even many of the 3* hotels will not be on a par with 3* hotels in other areas of the country.

Thank you so much for the info East, i'll raise the budget, would $200 be an acceptable rate for a half decent hotel? I was hoping for at least a 3* plus.

I'll have a look at hotels in the aera and see what l can try and gage from Priceline etc.

thanks once again, that been really helpful :D

We typically take a taxi to get from the airport to the city. On embarkation day we take a cab from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal.

If it is a show that we really want to see we purchase tickets in advance on the internet. If we don't have a specific show in mind, we purchase 1/2 price tickets at a location near broadway. We find the Times Square area to be relatively safe after the theatre lets out.

Keith

If you don't plan to spend at least 3+ hours on Ellis Island, and 2+ hours at the SOL, instead of taking the ferry to SOL & Ellis Island, you could take the Staten Island Ferry for free. Non rush hours they currently run on week-days every half hour.

The ferry gives you a relatively up close view without the imajor investment of time.

$200 is going to be tough as well. I'm not seeing a lot that's attractive in that range either. You might do better finding something you can live with that is cancellable and then stalking Priceline/Hotwire to see what might turn up. Perhaps others will have suggestions for you.

For the heck of it, I tried the Skyline Hotel for her at the dates, and the cheapest is $287. per night. This is the hotel with the lowest rates that we have been recommending in Manhattan. October is high season and it means that the economy is picking up. . .no more bargain basement rates.

$200 is going to be tough as well. I'm not seeing a lot that's attractive in that range either. You might do better finding something you can live with that is cancellable and then stalking Priceline/Hotwire to see what might turn up. Perhaps others will have suggestions for you.

Staying in a Brooklyn hotel is always an option. Many of your sightseeing targets are in downtown NY - a Brooklyn hotel would be as close to these destinations by subway as many midtown hotels would be. There are several new hotels near the port - I can look through posts to find them if you are interested.

Staying in a Brooklyn hotel is always an option. Many of your sightseeing targets are in downtown NY - a Brooklyn hotel would be as close to these destinations by subway as many midtown hotels would be. There are several new hotels near the port - I can look through posts to find them if you are interested.

Is Brooklyn ok? us Brits have have an image as portrayed in films of Brooklyn :confused:...... that would be helpful, many thanks.

First of all before booking a NYC hotel ,its a must to check the National Bedbug registry .Secondly I would check out Trip Advisor .

Haven't looked at the BB registry but l use TA all the time. Thanks

Brooklyn is okay as long as you are comfortable using public transportation getting in and out of Manhattan. Of course, check here on the board first. We have some Brooklyn experts that can advise you. Also, I think when you are coming is the time of the UN General Assembly, plus very close to the ten year anniversary of 9/11, another reason you should find something soon.

Is Brooklyn ok? us Brits have have an image as portrayed in films of Brooklyn :confused:...... that would be helpful, many thanks.

I didn't realize you were from England - I saw Norfolk and assumed Norfolk Virginia! If you're comfortable with the underground in London, you'll be fine in the subway in NY. I've actually stayed in two hotels in Brooklyn within the past year. Everyone wants to be in the middle of Manhattan, but sometimes that's just not possible. Close in Brooklyn, Long Island City (Queens), and Secaucus and Jersey City in New Jersey are acceptable alternatives if you're willing to take a subway or train ride. In your case you are flying into JFK, sailing from Brooklyn, and doing stuff in downtown Manhattan - staying in Brooklyn makes a lot of sense.

I came up with several good possibilities for Oct 13-15 in Brooklyn that are in your target price range. I'll let the New Yorkers comment on the pros and cons of each, particularly the subway locations and connections.

1) Hotwire for Oct 13-15 - 4* Brooklyn hotel for $131 + tax - my best guess is that this is the Sheraton - not many 4* hotels in Brooklyn - IMO this would be your best deal.

2) La Quinta - about $150 + tax - about 4 blocks from the subway

3) Best Western - about $142 + tax

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1385376&highlight=brooklyn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1404085&highlight=brooklyn

Ellis Island

Empire State Building

Central Park

SOL

Brooklyn bridge

possibly ground zero

and a perhaps a good show for the second night prefably near the hotel as not sure how safe i would feel travelling around at night time)

So my questions are:

Best hotel (area) to stay in with regard to getting back and forth to the port and attractions ( l realise these are spread out but not sure what are is best).

Is a cab the best option from the airport and then back to the port?

and finally on demarkation day we have quite a late flight (18.15) so would like ideas of what to do all day (bearing in mind we have luggage).

many thanks

Marie

Hi Chirpy, another Brit here.

We are going mid-September and found it very difficult to get a Manhattan room for under £200. Finally used Hotwire and we got Holiday Inn Express MSG for £175. Its not ideal but as we are also doing a cruise we had to compromise a little. Reviews are good but location a bit less central than would have liked.

Like you we are flying home in the evening and have taken note of Schwartz website details.

Hope you get fixed up and have a lovely time - it it your first NYC visit - it is ours!

Margaret:cool:

Just an FYI

The Crowne Plaza, La Guardia airport is STILL available from Quikbook/Hotels.com, other outlets in the fall for about $150 or thereabouts (weekends the cheapest, mid week more expensive, two day packages cheaper than single days).

Look for my posts in January about the hotel and travel into Manhattan. I really like this hotel. Have stayed there quite a bit in my business travels. BUT I had NEVER taken the train/subway into NYC until I went on a sightseeing trip with my friend. The hotel has a shuttle to the #7 train. 30 minutes later, the train drops you off in Times Square where all of Manhattan is at your feet.

You either have to take the bus (right at the top of the subway) or call a taxi BACK to the hotel (difficult-the bus lets you off directly across the street from the hotel). VERY, VERY easy. Nice hotel in a quiet neighborhood for a really decent price.

If you are flying into JFK, taxi is about $35 from JFK to the hotel. There are also various shuttles from JFK to LGA.

Just another option to save quite a bit of money.

You can get a hotel in Manhattan for your budget, but it’s a bit of a fiddle, so bear with me.

Are you a Priority Club member? PC is the loyalty program for Holiday Inn/IHG. PC is unique in that there redemption rates are based on hotel brand, rather than a complicated category structure. Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses are all either 15,000 or 25,000 points/night, Staybridge Suites are all 20,000/night, Candlewood Suites are all 15,000/night, etc.

All of this to say that there are 2 properties in Manhattan that are 15,000 points/night, the Candlewood Suites Times Square and the Holiday Inn Express New York City Wall Street (and both have availability for your dates). But what if you have no points you say? No problem – you can buy the points! For most applications, purchasing points isn't great value, but NYC is the exception. Points can be purchased according to a sliding scale: 1,000 to 9,000 points: $13.50 USD per 1,000 points; 10,000 to 19,000 points: $12.50 USD per 1,000 points; 20,000 to 40,000 points: $11.50 USD per 1,000 points. So, in your case, you need 30,000 points, which would cost $345 total, making your per night cost $172.50

Even better, you can use the Cash + Points option - purchase 10,000 points the regular way for $125, then reserve 2 nights at 5,000 points + $60/night. Total cost: $245, or $122.50 per night.

Both of the hotels I mentioned are selling rooms for your dates in the $290-300/night range. It is ironic that purchasing points is less than half the cost.

we found the hudson-close to the park for about $150 for june. with taxes it's close to $200. found it at a hotel.com sale. also booked lincoln limo at $66 including tolls and tip from jfk. comfy town car. nyc is intoxicating! have a great trip...

Hi Chirpy, another Brit here.

We are going mid-September and found it very difficult to get a Manhattan room for under £200. Finally used Hotwire and we got Holiday Inn Express MSG for £175. Its not ideal but as we are also doing a cruise we had to compromise a little. Reviews are good but location a bit less central than would have liked.

Like you we are flying home in the evening and have taken note of Schwartz website details.

Hope you get fixed up and have a lovely time - it it your first NYC visit - it is ours!

Margaret:cool:

Hi Margaret, thanks for posting. Prices are crazy arent they :D, im slowly come round to paying £400 for two nights lol..... Hope you have a fabulous time as well. If you think of it pehaps you could message me any top tips when you get home.:D

Just an FYI

The Crowne Plaza, La Guardia airport is STILL available from Quikbook/Hotels.com, other outlets in the fall for about $150 or thereabouts (weekends the cheapest, mid week more expensive, two day packages cheaper than single days).

Look for my posts in January about the hotel and travel into Manhattan. I really like this hotel. Have stayed there quite a bit in my business travels. BUT I had NEVER taken the train/subway into NYC until I went on a sightseeing trip with my friend. The hotel has a shuttle to the #7 train. 30 minutes later, the train drops you off in Times Square where all of Manhattan is at your feet.

You either have to take the bus (right at the top of the subway) or call a taxi BACK to the hotel (difficult-the bus lets you off directly across the street from the hotel). VERY, VERY easy. Nice hotel in a quiet neighborhood for a really decent price.

If you are flying into JFK, taxi is about $35 from JFK to the hotel. There are also various shuttles from JFK to LGA.

Just another option to save quite a bit of money.

Mmm, something to consider, thanks very much.

Archived