Things I will not pack next time

I just got back from Allure, and the packing to come back was way harder than packing for the actual trip. I had so many odds and ends I had packed following packing lists from this site: things that I didn't even touch during the whole week.

So, these are the things that I WILL NOT pack next time:

-Laptop: Never had any time to use it. There is so much to do on the ship, that being on the computer seemed like a waste of time. Plus I wasn't willing to pay the expensive wifi packages.

-Extension cord/multiplug: The only 2 devices I ever plugged were the camera battery charger and my blow dryer, and usually not simultaneously. Our iPhones stayed turned off inside the safe the whole trip (we charged them the last night).

-Sneakers: I don't do the gym on vacations. I brought sneakers because I thought I needed them for the zip line/rock climbing. Turns out they have loaner shoes on both activities. My sneakers spent the whole week in the closet. It was much easier to wear flip flops and just carry a pair of socks around.

-Shoes for daytime. I brought two pairs of sandal-type crocs. Well, I ended up in flip flops every day because it was easier for going to the pool/beach. I could've used the extra space for the things I bought during the trip. Next time, just a pair of flip flops, a pair of dressy wedges for dinner, and a pair of heels for formal nights. Come to think of it, maybe I'll pack two pairs of heels (my formal shoes broke on the first formal night! I had to literally sew them back together).

-Coffee/french press: I packed these because I read about how bad coffee was on board. It really wasn't that bad. Plus, my toddler got a hold of my french press and broke it! Oh well, at least I didn't have to pack it back.

-Refillable water bottle: Bought a water bottle from the dollar store with the intention of filling it with ice to bring to the excursions. Never used it.

-$1 Dishwashing liquid bottle- Bought this to clean my baby's sippy cups. Waaay too much dishwashing liquid. Next time I will just fill a hotel-sized bottle with my home diswashing liquid. It will be more than enough.

-Flashlight: The room has these wonderful dimmed lights above the art in the room, that serve as a night light.

-Over-the-door shoe holder: even though I actually didn't bring this, I wanted to let you know that you DO NOT NEED THIS. There is plenty of storage in the cabin. Even with all my toddler stuff, I still had space left.

-Purse/bag for daytime: I bought a canvas bag from the dollar store, and used that to carry stuff around the ship. I then discarded the bag (it started to tear by the end of the week). One less thing to pack.

-Blow dryer: I have mid-back length curly hair, and I only used the blow dryer once, to fix my previously straightened hair up a little bit for the first formal night. I think I could've managed with the blow dryer provided by the ship. Blow drying my hair "from scratch" any other night seemed like a waste of precious ship time, so I found some pretty ways to wear my curly hair the rest of the week. I got lots of compliments from my hubby, so I will just use these curly hairdo's next time and skip the blow dryer.

Without going into detail on each part, good post, I know what you mean. The extra baggage fees make it prudent to try and cut back. We skipped formal nights and make do with one bag each. I know some people have to stay in touch, but we try to get away from the internet and cell phones on vacation, we see too much of that all normal weeks.

I know some people have to stay in touch, but we try to get away from the internet and cell phones on vacation, we see too much of that all normal weeks.

I can not agree MORE!!!! ;)

I do not TAKE any kind of connection while on vacation..............:cool:

Thanks for posting this! Great idea!

On our last cruise between the two of us we literally took 6 suitcases. It was ridiculous. This time we are going to try and take one suitcase each and one carry-on each. I have been getting better and better at consolidating, but this list will help a ton and remind me to cut back.

If anyone has anything to add to the OP's list, please do so!

If (when) the power goes out you'll re-think leaving the flashlight out. Even if there are battery-powered emergency lights, you never know when you might have to find your way around in the dark -- on the ship, in a hotel room, or (heaven forbid) on an airplane. There are tiny LED lights that can go on a key ring and take up almost no space in your purse, cosmetic or shaving kit, etc.

On our last cruise between the two of us we literally took 6 suitcases. It was ridiculous. This time we are going to try and take one suitcase each and one carry-on each. I have been getting better and better at consolidating, but this list will help a ton and remind me to cut back.

For us it was 5 suitcases, including garment bag on our first 2 seven day cruises. I would add that in most cases, people don't care if you wear the same shirt in the windjammer as you did the day before. I kept my favorite HOT TUB LIFEGUARD shirt with me at the pool and wore it almost every day cutting back on the number. I did take 7 pair of underwear! :D For dinner it was Kakhi pants and a nice polo shirt, I only took 3 of them and rotated the colors. Did anyone on a ship of 6000, say, "He wore that red shirt on Monday, now he is wearing it again on Saturday?" I doubt it.

The only thing to make me re-think this is there is a direct flight on Airtran from my town to FLL, so if I want to take an extra bag, I'll spend an extra $45-60 for a first class ticket where we get one bag each for free.

If (when) the power goes out you'll re-think leaving the flashlight out. Even if there are battery-powered emergency lights, you never know when you might have to find your way around in the dark -- on the ship, in a hotel room, or (heaven forbid) on an airplane. There are tiny LED lights that can go on a key ring and take up almost no space in your purse, cosmetic or shaving kit, etc.

Good idea. I think if that ever happens, we can always use our iPhones "Flashlight" app. But thank you for mentioning it. Now I just need to remember to sleep with my iPhone by the bed instead of in the safe, just in case.

I'll keep adding as I remember more things, just so I can look back at my own thread next time I pack (I know I will forget otherwise).

-Hot Cocoa packets: I make my own mocha coffee with hot cocoa, so I brought a box of them. Then I found out they had free cocoa packets everywhere there was coffee

One thing you should definitely pack: a lightweight, collapsible duffle bag or something of the sort. I found this wonderful collapsible rolling bag at my local JCPenney outlet store (which, sadly, is closing) for $10. Best $10 ever spent. I wouldn't have been able to bring what I bought back if it wasn't for that bag. I'm going today to see if they have any left, so I can buy one for my mom and maybe a backup for myself. If anyone wants one let me know. I'll see if I can post some pics of it later.

So I don't need sneakers for the zip line?? I wasn't planning on bringing them until I saw they were necessary for the zip. Now I can leave them.

I bring my laptop to down load all my photos daily. I also keep a daily diary of my vacations (and this one is my honeymoon)

I'll have one checked bag (free on SouthWest), one carryon and one backpack. I'm only taking two dresses--one of them is my wedding dress for more pictures on the first formal night--but two skirts with tops that I can wear the next day.

(I traveled with a 1 year old)

I'll add --- I didn't need to pack an extra box of baby wipes because practically every changing table on board the ship had a box of Huggies wipes to use! I literally brought home one large box of Pampers wipes that I never even opened!

-Over-the-door shoe holder: even though I actually didn't bring this, I wanted to let you know that you DO NOT NEED THIS. There is plenty of storage in the cabin. Even with all my toddler stuff, I still had space left.

I did go out and buy one for our Oasis cruise and never used it! In fact, I never opened it so promptly returned it to Target when I got home. I too felt that there way plenty of storage space in the bathrooms.

I like your post also. I learned from our first cruise on FOS that we didn't need half of stuff we'd taken. I did a little better packing this time better but still came home w/ clothes we never wore b/c we were in swimwear most of the time.

This cruise we took 1 lg suitcase, 2 small, a backpack and I had a lg beach bag packed in the suitcase for souvenirs. Next cruise we will take 1 suitcase less.

We did the Tulum tour and I found that my water shoes were very comfortable for the trip, so I won't take my tennis shoes next time either. Definately will take a flashlight just in case of a power outage. :)

One thing I WON'T leave home without is the over the door shoe holder. I put all my stuff in it to find it easily........tanning lotion, seapass, brush, and anything else that I want to find easily. There is plenty of storage, but I find it easier to have the stuff I will be looking for easy to find hanging on the back of the bathroom door.

It is funny how I packed on my 1st cruise and how do do now. I had different shoes and bags for every outfit! Now I go as basic as possible. All my dinner clothes will match two pair of dress shoes. I try to go with either black or brown so I can just bring one formal purse. Having to pay baggage fees to fly has really changed the way I pack!

The first is binoculars. So far, the suites we have been in have a pair available.

The second is a tuxedo. I just can't justify it with the formal shoes, paraphernalia etc. for just one or two nights. I wear a sport jacket on the plane which will have to suffice with a tie for lobster night. We'll eat in a specialty restaurant for one the formal nights.

Still trying to decide if I can get away with just an IPAD or will I need the laptop too.

Adding to the list of the ridiculous, I'll probably bring a tripod this time. I am an amateur photo buff and want to take some good photos. Hopefully I can share them here.

I brought sneakers because I thought I needed them for the zip line/rock climbing. Turns out they have loaner shoes on both activities.

my english is not very well. could you please explain more details about the loaner shoes on the zip line/rock climbing activities?

thanks.

On our last cruise we had to fly so I kept everything to the basics. One large suitcase and two carryons. I wear tennis shoes all the time because I don't like flipflops. Tennis shoes protect the feet on excursions. I bring one pair of shoes for night. I bring a purse on the plane to carry things but do not carry a purse on the ship. I just carry my sea pass. On shore I have a small wallet. I have curly hair too. I get a fresh hair cut and just go with the curls.

my english is not very well. could you please explain more details about the loaner shoes on the zip line/rock climbing activities?

I can't speak for the rock climbing because I didn't actually get to do it. but on the zip line they loan you shoes similar to water shoes. They are soft, but have a rubber sole.

thanks.

I did both, you can wear your own sneakers on the zip line, no open toe shoes allowed.

They provide shoes for the rock climbing wall ( I rang the top bell ) :D

when I put them on, the loaner shoes felt small but another person said it should feel like that, it gives you a better toe grip on the rocks.

I can't speak for the rock climbing because I didn't actually get to do it. but on the zip line they loan you shoes similar to water shoes. They are soft, but have a rubber sole.
I did both, you can wear your own sneakers on the zip line, no open toe shoes allowed.

They provide shoes for the rock climbing wall ( I rang the top bell ) :D

when I put them on, the loaner shoes felt small but another person said it should feel like that, it gives you a better toe grip on the rocks.

thank you guys so much!

I have a mini led flashlight (size of lipstick tube) that I bought at the dollar store that I always take. I use it for looking under the bed to make sure I have retrieved everything from my hubby and my stateroom, and especially my teenagers' room!

I have a mini led flashlight (size of lipstick tube) that I bought at the dollar store that I always take. I use it for looking under the bed to make sure I have retrieved everything from my hubby and my stateroom, and especially my teenagers' room!

Good one, those have gotten so small and so bright, its not an inconvenience to bring that along.

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing I brought along were the power lock suction hooks. I bought an assortment of about 10 or so. Our 2 teenage daughters and their friend had bikinis everywhere the first day (I hadn't fully unpacked yet), but by the second day they were all hanging nice and orderly. They stayed suctioned to the inside and outside of the bathroom door all week, no problem. My 19 year old told me the last day "thank God you brought these!" Allure of The Seas did not have a laundry line across the shower.

I agree on taking the small flash light. I take one pair of dressy flats that I can wear both formal and smart casual nights. I have a long black dress you can't wrinkle if you try and a couple of dressy tops/jackets I wear with it. The shoes fit inside my husband's dress shoes when packing. We ditched the tuxedo (and his size 12 patent shoes) a few years ago. Ditched the shoe bag, too.

Had to laugh about the hot chocolate. I got the word on cruise critic that Princess does not have the packets on the Alaskan itineraries and, furthermore, will charge you for hot chocolate when you cruise the glaciers. So I bought a couple of boxes (we were traveling with six other people) with me as husband likes a cup before retiring sometimes and figured they might like some, also.

I could have made money selling those packets. Whenever I was mixing up a packet in the grill, someone would come up and ask me where I found it and then, when I would tell them it was bought from home, they would ask if I would sell them one. I gave several away and had lots of newbestfriends by the end of the cruise (lol).

One thing that lards up my suitcase is a canvas, thermo six-pack cooler that I have the room steward fill with ice every morning. I have some liquid refreshment that is put in a popular container here on cruise critic that fits very nicely in the bottom of it and keeps it nice and cold for enjoying on the balcony. Also, bring a thermo go-cup so I can tote my hot tea around.

You learn real quick that no one really cares what you are wearing as long as it is appropriate and reasonably clean. No one has ever said "Let's be nasty to her because she wore that same pair of shorts before." Admittedly, no one has come running over asking where I got that "to die for" outfit either. I mix and match, accessorize with scarves/jewelry, and keep to dark colors that won't show dirt. Tide to go is great for emergency spot cleaning.

I have a collapsible nylon bag I pack that we use as a hamper. Once it came in very handy when the ship destroyed a bag because I needed to use it to tote home the things that were in the bag.

Tucker in Texas

Archived