Things I will not pack next time

Definitely don't pack to be fashionable. Before the last cruise, I made the mistake of going on the Fashion and Beauty thread. Just made me angry. If I were a violent person, there was one woman there...

For some, the whole plan was fashion over function. Especially just the "right" shoes -- no matter what foot issues one may have. Well, one day while walking back to the ship in port, I followed a woman who had a bandaged, bloody blister on each heel. I winced at each step she took. But she was wearing very fashionable shoes! :D

We pack light and go for comfort and common sense. Dressing correctly for dinner doesn't have to mean a different outfit for each night.

I don't care anymore. I bring 1 pair tennis shoes, 1 pair Teva sandals, flip flops. I wore the Tevas ONE DAY to the beach and developed a huge blister on my toe. Back to the tennis shoes and flip flops with blister cover for all functions. I can't wear other shoes anymore...too many foot and hip problems. I really can't do it anymore. :rolleyes:

We also found a handy thing at Walgreens. It's an all world adapater for electrical plugs. $11.00. It is NOT a voltage regulator! It just has the multi round prongs that flip out and a USB input. For modern electronics....it lets you use that European plug on the dresser. And they also have 2 round plug sockets around the ship....so you can plug in your Nook or Kindle with the USB cord and charge it. You can use the US stateroom plug for other things.

I, too, take black slacks to wear multiple times. However, on our last flight into FLL for a cruise, I spilled a bloody Mary on my lap. Do you know what it looks like when it dries? Poop or puke, take your choice (lol). Fortunately on Celebrity you have one item cleaned free if you are Elite. Even though they are machine washable, I sent them out as the price was right!

If you need wire hangers, go to a consignment shop. Our shop requires consignment clothes come in on hangers which we switch to our store hangers to put out for sale. Hence, we have a truck load of them at the end of the day. Fortunately, one of our customers takes them as he earns a little money taking them to a scrap metal place along with other metal stuff we can't put out. I always stick a generous handful in the outside pocket of my suitcase and then leave them at the end of the cruise.

Have left the shoe bag home the last couple of cruises and have not missed it.

Tucker in Texas

What we leave behind depends on whether we are driving or flying to our departure location. DH packs more than I do....he is more of an "I might want or need this" kind of guy and I'm not so much anymore.

I leave behind anything that is not black, white, or khaki. And every item of wearing apparel must have more than one use or stand up to more than one wearing. For 7 days, I can pack one 25" suitcase and my computer bag....and that includes my big, squishy foam rubber pillow and a little roll of duct tape!

I will always be clean and neat.....I will be stylish, but never a fashion plate. I will be comfy, but not colorful. And nobody will care what I'm wearing....they're too busy with their own stuff!

great thread. over the years i too have been downsizing our packing but one item i started using a few cruises back was a soft sided lunch bag/cooler. goes in the suitecase flat and when we get to our cabin i usually give the room steward a tip up front to keep the cooler filled with ice day and night. i put a sturdy plastic bag inside of it to minimize condensation and keep it in the shower. this bag works out fantastic as we like to have our beers ice cold (we buy 6 at a time and keep them in there) also i get a few milk containers from the buffet and stash them in a ziploc to keep them from going soft floating in the ice for a midnight glass to settle any stomach problems. when the cruise is over we use the bag for the stuff we keep in the bathroom and any other odds and ends that need last minute packing on the morning of leaving the ship.

We are doing a 15 night cruise from San Diego to Hawaii and back. Nine days at sea. I was thinking I could do some genealogy file merging and review during this time - NO INTERNET NEEDED. Now I am seeing eveeryone saying - leave laptop at home...

Any advice ?

One cruise DW brought something like 12 pairs of shoes. When asked how she could possibly wear all of them, her reply was that she wouldn't wear them all, she just wanted that many options each night. The point being, you can either plan each moment out in advance and hope you planned right, or leave yourself many options while on vacation. I'd rather pack too much than kick myself 2,000 from home for not bringing something.

As for laptops, we always take one (now an iPad) and have never used the internet unless we're in port, especially while on a B2B. But they do come in very handy for downloading photographs and videos each day. A nice way to take a look at them as well as have a backup.

Love this thread. Some sanity at last!

Before i went on 1st cruise I saw some list and thread on here about all the stuff you needed. Think it was a spreadsheet.

Post it notes, highlighter pens, binoculars, carabiners, washing line, walkie talkies, torch, pocket thing to hang in door, waterproof pouch, ear plugs, ziploc bags, different washing clothes liquids, magnets (why magnets), groundsheet? Plastic boxes, a roll on cooler (being from the uk I had to google that as a roll on is something we put under our arm pits to prevent perspiration).

Cant remember the rest. I could only take a few and then worried that I woukdnt have stuff.

Can honestly say I needn't need or use any of it.

Archived