Things I will not pack next time

Oasis/Allure (and X Solstice class) have nice dim lights in the bathrooms sufficent for middle of the night visits. Other RC ships lack that and a flashlight is essential unless you really like turning on the Wrath of God flourescent lights that could equally well light up the bathroom at a truck stop.

LOL, that's funny! Personally, we enjoy having a battery operated candle in our stateroom. And Coralc- love the pink jacket and hat photo! :D I suggest leaving half the clothes you think you'll wear back at home. I had a client who said she took 21 (twenty one!) outfits with her on a one week Mexican Rivera cruise. She changed clothes three times a day, shoes included. She must have brought a steamer trunk!

On my last cruise, I sent an earring flying when taking off a t-shirt. Husband got out the flashlight to look under the bed. Didn't find the earring (the room steward did later) but did find a live worm like critter under the bed. We checked further and didn't see any brothers or sisters lingering around.

I did not go down to the front desk and dump it on the counter demanding a free cruise or a gazillion dollars in OBC. Heck, we deal with roaches down here in Texas that would have eaten that little bug in one swallow. Husband stomped on it and wrapped it up in Kleenex and took it to an outside trash can.

Later, I did mention in a comment form that the cruise was excellent but I didn't appreciate finding a live critter under my bed. They thought I said "in my bed" and immediately replaced all the linens, called us to apologize, and sent us a bottle of wine. If they hadn't put that comment form in the cabin, I would have never mentioned it.

Another reason to take a flashlight because if we hadn't found the hitchhiker it may have decided our bed was warm and comfy and may have had some relatives with him.

Tucker in Texas

Haha... that's a funny story but I don't think it'll make me take my flash light :p

-Over-the-door shoe holder: even though I actually didn't bring this, I wanted to let you know that you DO NOT NEED THIS. There is plenty of storage in the cabin. Even with all my toddler stuff, I still had space left.

I agree with almost your entire list (and we also cruised with a baby!) but I'm surprised to read this one! ^^^

What type of room were you in? We absolutely needed the shoe holder in a balcony room with 3 of us. There wasn't anywhere near enough table top space for all the little odds and ends that I didn't want to have to dig through drawers to find. Plus, the shoe holder made it easy to grab things quietly when baby was sleeping...

Oh well, different opinions, right?!?!

I did go out and buy one for our Oasis cruise and never used it! In fact, I never opened it so promptly returned it to Target when I got home. I too felt that there way plenty of storage space in the bathrooms.

I agree there is plenty of storage space, but I love the shoe bag. It is so much easier to have your things where you can see them without opening drawers to search. Never cruise without mine.

Kathy

I guess a couple differences are that I went in August and I am Canadian - more used to colder weather. I didn't even use the hat and mitts at the Hubbard Glacier. It was cool (too me) but not cold enough to wear the hat and mitts. I did see others wearing them though.

I saw the same jacket you bought. I hmmed and hawed about buying one. They were so inexpensive. I even tried them on. In the end I opted out because they were so bulky to bring home in my suitcase.

Well...the funny thing was that the jacket I brought with me was the cheap $19 "San Francisco" one that I bought at pier 39. It wasn't warm enough.

The $19 pink "Alaska" jacket has much thicker lining. I ended up wearing it home, because there was no way it would fit in a suitcase. Those $19 jackets are really hard for me to resist. :D:):D

One thing I WON'T leave home without is the over the door shoe holder. I put all my stuff in it to find it easily........tanning lotion, seapass, brush, and anything else that I want to find easily. There is plenty of storage, but I find it easier to have the stuff I will be looking for easy to find hanging on the back of the bathroom door.

It is funny how I packed on my 1st cruise and how do do now. I had different shoes and bags for every outfit! Now I go as basic as possible. All my dinner clothes will match two pair of dress shoes. I try to go with either black or brown so I can just bring one formal purse. Having to pay baggage fees to fly has really changed the way I pack!

I've only used an over the door hanger once and that was when we were in a Voyager class corner aft balcony (#1688) Since the dressing table was next to the closet, I hung it over the closet door and could reach it with my left hand while sitting at the table. Here is my question: If you are in a regular D1 balcony, where do you put it? I hadn't packed it in years but decided to throw it in for our Radiance cruise. I tried the inside of the bathroom door but that didn't work as there are hooks for the bathrooms/pjs. I tried the outdoor bathroom door but it flopped every time the door was opened and shut. If I put it on the closet door, the door didn't open correctly. I left it on the ship thinking maybe a crew member could use it.

Regarding dish soap ---

When I travel I take those blue and white disposable wash rags (usually found near the sponges and rubber gloves in the cleaning section) - I cut them into smaller pieces (a little smaller than a normal wash cloth) - put a small squirt of soap on each one and allow them to air dry.

I then fold them up, put in a baggie and I have a carry on approved (when necessary) compact wash cloth with soap already on it.

It just bothered me too much when I considered using a wash cloth that some stranger had used on who knows what part of their body to clean my little ones sippy cup etc. (yes, I know they're sterilized - but it just grossed me out to think about them being used on something that went to my child's mouth)

I just cruised on NCL Pride of America and those cabins were TINY with almost no storage space. I am SO glad I took a over the door shoe holder as we had 3 adult women sharing a cabin - but I would certainly do my research before any trip to see if it was needed. Glad to hear I won't need that when we sail RCI next spring! (plus we're looking at the AquaTheater Suite, so we'll have tons of space anyway...)

It will be hard to get hubby to leave the laptop at home, but I'm going to try. The key will be the cost to connect.

GOTTA have my iPod Touch though. Games, music, movies, books all in one nice compact device - and no fear of roaming fees!

Hardest part is packing to amuse a child on the flight to wherever the cruise sails from! We're in the middle of the country and I don't recall any major waterways from Denver to the ocean to sail from. LOL :D

A big thanks to OP for starting this. We have our first cruise in Oct. We have been reading here for a few months and DW has a list. We would have needed a dinghy tied to the back of the ship for all her stuff.

The list has now been reduced by 4 pages.

Relief,

Thanks, Alex

This is a great thread!

I will, however, add myself to the list of over-the-door-shoe holder-lovers. We always bring ours and put everything from toiletries to cell phones to sea pass cards in them. I hate cluttered table tops and I love knowing where everything is! We have always traveled on Voyager class ships and I think we put it on the outside of the bathroom door. I don't remember banging?

I also love those suction-cup hooks!

The main thing I've discovered over the years is to cut back on the clothes. I remember the first time my parents came with us, and my mom was buying and packing all these "outfits"...you know, cute shorts/capris with matching tops, etc. I told her she was crazy. All you need for the daytime on board is a good cover up or some other kind of lounging clothes. Then I pack some easy sundresses, one or two formal outfits, and maybe one pair of capris with a handful of plain t-shirts. Flip flops, maybe Keds, and ONE pair of dress shoes for the formal night(s). That's it! You really don't need all the "touring clothes" that people (well, us women anyway) think they should bring!

Thanks for posting this! Great idea!

On our last cruise between the two of us we literally took 6 suitcases. It was ridiculous. This time we are going to try and take one suitcase each and one carry-on each. I have been getting better and better at consolidating, but this list will help a ton and remind me to cut back.

If anyone has anything to add to the OP's list, please do so!

Regardless of where I go or for how long, one suitcase and one carry-on each is our limit. Many 7 nigh cruises we do with one suitcase and two carry-ons and that includes a suit for DH and a cocktail dress for me.

Not being a smarty pants here but can those of you explain the "dirty clothes bag theory" to me? I have always just put the dirties in my luggage daily and don't have to worry about them. I keep reading that people bring them. Maybe I need one, please enlighten me.

One thing I will NOT leave without, traveling alarm clock to see the time at night/morning.

Tim

To me a collapsable mesh laundry hamper is more valuable for my teen DD's room than it is for us. There is no way that they would put their dirty clothes in the suitcase under the bed everyday. The hamper is more accessible and convenient. I also picked up a mini one that is suppose to be for carrying your shampoo back and forth to the shower when camping. I told them to keep it on the vanity and throw their little things in it like room cards, hairbands, etc to keep the vanity looking neat on our upcoming cruise.

My husband & I have managed with 1 large suitcase and a carry on each, yet I still end up taking clothes, mostly blouses I never wear. We are doing our first TA in Oct, and really working on what to bring or what not to bring. We have 3 days in Barcelona Pre cruise, so trying to plan for that plus the 14 day cruise. Don't own a laptop, can't see wanting to use the internet on a cruise, I need the vacation. LOL but do bring the recharger for my camera & DH brings the binoculars. Due to the weight restrictions, now, we need to watch the weight.

Pack light once and you'll never go back. My wife and I did 17 days in Ireland with two carry-ons and two small backpacks. It's the only way to travel.

For a seven-day cruise, we used to pack two large suitcases, a small bag for shoes, another small bag for toiletries and hair "stuff" (rollers and/or curling iron) and at least one backpack. Now, no more than a carry-on per person plus a backpack large enough to handle docs, meds, electronics, etc. I'm fairly certain we packed more for our first cruise (3-day out of Canaveral) than we do now for a seven-day.

Check out the demo at packinglight.com and take the plunge.

Andy

To me a collapsable mesh laundry hamper is more valuable for my teen DD's room than it is for us. There is no way that they would put their dirty clothes in the suitcase under the bed everyday. The hamper is more accessible and convenient. I also picked up a mini one that is suppose to be for carrying your shampoo back and forth to the shower when camping. I told them to keep it on the vanity and throw their little things in it like room cards, hairbands, etc to keep the vanity looking neat on our upcoming cruise.

I can see the teens (hopefully ;) ) using the hamper but as you state, it is just as easy for me to pull out the suitcase and deposit the dirties so that is ready to go on the last day.

Tim

Back to my favorite cruise gadget - the shoe holder. I actually take two of them. One is the little $1 one from the Dollar Store. This goes INSIDE the bathroom door and holds bathroom stuff (deodorant, toothbrush and paste, room deodorant - stuff like that for the two of us).

The larger (clear plastic) one goes on the OUTSIDE of the bathroom door (never heard banging) and holds stuff we want to grab before leaving the room--water bottle, coffee cup, camera, gloves/scarves in the wintertime, sunscreen, book, lotion, etc., etc., etc.

Cords and chargers would go here if I carried stuff like that on my cruise.

And it's good for shoes as well!:D

I use this only for cruises, of course, where we're in the same room for the entire trip.

I guess we each have our own style. That's mine, and I'm sticking with it.

Kathy

Thanks for posting this. I'm a seasoned traveller, but this will be my first cruise. From reading all the "What to pack" posts I was afraid I was going to need to bring a Sherpa to haul it all ;)

I've been on a number of cruises but enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I do believe that I'll make a trip to the Dollar Store for a small LED light. Since we stay in Promenade Rooms most often, we just leave the drapes apart an inch or so and get all of the light that we need.

We have wondered many times just how light we could pack. I believe that we could pack everything in one large bag if we wanted to chance our luggage getting lost. I always carry a change of clothes for each of us in a carry on JUST IN CASE! I do believe that if you wanted to go as light as possible that you could carry just perhaps three sets of clothes to wear for dinner.....wear them twice, who is going to remember??? You wear casual clothes (usually what you wear on board) on your first night. The others, we only have them on for a couple of hours and then go back to our room to change into something more comfortable. Three sets is more than enough. IF you do a lot of swimming/sunbathing, you probably would just wear swimsuits during the day....just take several with you. We don't do the sunbathing so most of our luggage is MY shorts/capris and tops. Husband usually will wear his swimsuit (which looks like short) with a solid t-shirt. If he should want to take a dip in the hot tub then he's ready. He doesn't carry a suit any longer, just a blazer for dinner and based on what we've been seeing, it's getting hard for me to convince him that YES you need to keep taking your blazer. I wear my sandals at nights so usually just take a black and white pair (wear one/pack one). Husband wears sandals and takes a pair of dress shoes. Other than that, it's just underclothes which you COULD just take a couple of pair and wash and wear. I'll just take mine, thank you. I suppose that everyone going for their first time is going to take everything but the kitchen sink because you're "supposed to". It doesn't take long to change your mind.

We spend almost a month in the Middle East touring and it included one cruises and we took two suitcases and two carryon's. Now I had to learn to wash clothes in the bathtubs BUT.....it worked!!! Just had to make sure that I gave them time to dry before needing to pack up and move to next location. All it takes is just a few minutes with clothes on a balcony (fairly hidden) in Egypt or Israel to dry clothes REAL fast.

Things I won't pack again:

A dinner outfit for every night. We will never do anything except MTD in the future, so we won't sit with the same people, and the outfits are only worn two hours or so. No reason not to recycle.

Excessive shoes. A couple pairs of basics are plenty.

The over-the-door-shoe thing. We packed this on one cruise, and not only was it unnecessary, it looked messy -- all that little junky stuff hanging on the wall.

The more we cruise, the less we bring. On the way home from our second cruise -- the second time we over-packed, were forced to live with too much in a small space, and wasted our last night packing up stuff that was never used -- we made a list of things we'd actually used onboard, things that'd actually enhanced our trip . . . and now it's our packing list. We adjust "up or down" for excursion items that we might need -- maybe water shoes or snorkel gear -- but other than that, we are dedicated to packing light. And it's improved our cruise experience considerably.

A big thanks to OP for starting this. We have our first cruise in Oct. We have been reading here for a few months and DW has a list. We would have needed a dinghy tied to the back of the ship for all her stuff.

The list has now been reduced by 4 pages.

Relief,

Thanks, Alex

:eek: But but she could have brought her crockpot and fridge........

I can see the teens (hopefully ;) ) using the hamper but as you state, it is just as easy for me to pull out the suitcase and deposit the dirties so that is ready to go on the last day.

Tim

We also use the suitcase for dirty clothes. I have seen some pretty intense packing lists on here. I think you learn as you go and can eliminate what you did not use/need on future trips.

A laptop is always good to have to empty your camera pics. So it would be GREAT to have a netbook to bring.

I can barely get through a days worth of pictures with a 2gb SD card on my camera.

Maybe buy another SD card? Most 4GB cards are running around $10. And with the right store/sale you can find 16GB for around $25. Cheaper than a laptop and easier to carry around.

Maybe buy another SD card? Most 4GB cards are running around $10. And with the right store/sale you can find 16GB for around $25. Cheaper than a laptop and easier to carry around.

My stuff is old and it holds 2gb at max lol. Though I recently got a new cam with 8gb onboard, and should be fine.

One thing I WON'T leave home without is the over the door shoe holder. I put all my stuff in it to find it easily........tanning lotion, seapass, brush, and anything else that I want to find easily. There is plenty of storage, but I find it easier to have the stuff I will be looking for easy to find hanging on the back of the bathroom door.

It is funny how I packed on my 1st cruise and how do do now. I had different shoes and bags for every outfit! Now I go as basic as possible. All my dinner clothes will match two pair of dress shoes. I try to go with either black or brown so I can just bring one formal purse. Having to pay baggage fees to fly has really changed the way I pack!

I love the over the door thingie! I pack it before I go, take it out of suitcase and all is put away like majic.

The best thing I brought along were the power lock suction hooks. I bought an assortment of about 10 or so. Our 2 teenage daughters and their friend had bikinis everywhere the first day (I hadn't fully unpacked yet), but by the second day they were all hanging nice and orderly. They stayed suctioned to the inside and outside of the bathroom door all week, no problem. My 19 year old told me the last day "thank God you brought these!" Allure of The Seas did not have a laundry line across the shower.

Great idea!

Archived